Gen 3 ADV PsySpikes Offense

Hello ADV Players!

Today I will share you this team I built is a Special Offense Team which is fairly Popular in ADV and have been using a lot on the Ladder and it is extremely Consistent.

I got the idea by looking at how weak TSS is to Alakazam + Spikes and my own general experience with PsySpikes in BW2 OU. This team has a extremely nice defensive profile and is able to force a lot of Switches and being able to clean up late game with Alakazam or Jirachi. Now lets get into the team in details, Also I hope you enjoy my First RMT! :-)

Team Pokepaste : 1640138528619.png1640138601428.png1640138656416.png1640138683228.png1640138702843.png1640138717919.png

Team Run-down:
1640115081399.png

Psychic

Alakazam @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Ice Punch
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Grass
- Fire Punch

Alakazam sports a Speed Stat equivalent to Dugtrio, Has the Highest non-Uber Special Attack in the Game, In addition to having Strong STAB and a colorful Movepool. Its a no Brainer having it on Special Offense where it works as a Late-Game Cleaner thanks to its high Speed and Amazing Special Attack. Ice Punch hits Salamence, Flygon, Zapdos and Dugtrio. (If you manage to win the Speed Tie which is Risky) Psychic, which is Alakazam's main STAB is needed as it hits very Strong with its Natural Power and its signature item, Twisted Spoon which boost the Power by its STAB sightly. The Total damage of its Base Special Attack, STAB (Same Type Attack Bouns) and the Twisted Spoon, Psychic's Base Power is now 148.5. This is easily a very Strong STAB that hitting Neutral OU Staples pretty Hard like Magneton, Gyarados, Moltres etc. Hidden Power Grass is there to hit Swampert really Hard but it also hits Starmie, Suicune, Milotic and Tyranitar for about solid Damage. Then Fire Punch hits Steels that resist STAB like Metagross, Jirachi, Forretress, Magneton and Skarmory. It also Deals good damage to Celebi which is really nice. Ice Punch is prefered over Calm Mind for afromentened Threats and to maximizes the Theat Level of Alakazam because the set nearly hitting Everything in OU as it can play to its own Strengths without Calm Mind, it does have the Highest non-Uber Special Attack after all. Suggested by BKC.

1640135335689.png

Steel Psychic

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 152 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch

Jirachi is a extremely versatile Pokemon thanks to its great stats, movepool, and typing. It works really well on Special Offense as a Calm Mind user to become a Offensive powerhouse with it. Calm Mind is there as a setup Move that boost its Special Attack and Special Defense +1 every use. Psychic is Jirachi's Main STAB used for most Gengar variants, dents Heracross, and hits most neutral targets reasonably hard. The Last Two moves are Thunderbolt and Ice Punch, They form a really Strong BoltBeam coverage hitting the Offensive ADV OU Metagame for Nutrual or Super-Effective Damage. Ice Punch OHKOes Salamence, Zapdos and most Flygon while keeping the ability to hit Celebi and Claydol super effectively, while Thunderbolt threatens Gyarados, Cloyster, Milotic and Moltres with a potential OHKO after a Calm Mind, hits Skarmory harder than Fire Punch, and enhances Jirachi's chances of winning a Calm Mind war against Suicune. The EV spread on Jirachi lets it ensure that it can live STAB Earthquake from Choice Band Dugtrio and +1 Tyranitar's Earthquake at full Heath while outpacing Max Speed, Jolly Tyranitar, most Celebi, and some Suicune. The Leftovers improves Jirachi's longevity and ability to enter the field throughout the match.

1640126494820.png

Water Ice

Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 72 HP / 8 SpA / 244 SpD / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

Cloyster is a Pokemon exclusively used on Offensive Team like this. It supports the Team with Spikes, which helps Alakazam and Jirachi as they wear down some of there Checks and makes them more Dangerous and Rapid Spin to clear the Field littered by Spikes that would chip our Teammates. It packs a high Phsyical Defense, that enables it to switch into Physical Attackers like Snorlax and Flygon. Explosion coming of a Decent 95 Base Attack is still hitting everything hard that doesn't resist or immune to it, even with no Attack Investment and a Timid Nature hindering it. It also acts like a good lure for Blissey as it can bait it in then use Explosion on it, clearing the Path of Special Sweepers like Alakazam and Jirachi. Spikes, which it can lay 3 layers of, are there that makes the Special Attackers more dangerous and chips anything that doesn't have a Flying typing or has the Levitate ability. Surf is Primary STAB that allows it to 2HKO Bulkless Tyranitar with 8 Special Attack EVs and dealing reasonable damage to Steel-types. Rapid Spin is generally there for Removing Spikes. The EV spread of Cloyster consist of Speed that outpaces all variants of Tyranitar and Swampert and slow Water-types like Milotic and most Suicune. This allows to spike against Tyranitar and Metagross due to Cloyster's Natrual High Defense. 72 HP and 244 SpD EVs allows it to always live Timid Starmie's Thunderbolt outside of Perma Sandstorm. It also lets it take 2 STAB Hydro Pumps from Max Special Attack Suicune and Swampert.

1640135230847.png

Water

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Suicune is a Bulky Water that is resilient at checking Physical Threats that litter the ADV OU Metagame. It can force Damage and progress but it can also Sweep and go Offensive with Calm Mind. Another strong Calm Mind user with a Amazing Defensive Profile with its 100 HP and 115 in both Physical and Special Defense and its ability to exert Offensive Pressure by Boosting with Calm Mind is really good and Supported even further by Spikes Cloyster throws on the Team. This excellent trails allows Suicune to Sweep and its a Defensive Pokemon that does that with its natural Defenses, a very valuable member on these Special Offense Teams. On its Moveset, Hydro Pump is strong STAB as it packs high Damage thats Critical to bust through stuff like Bulkless Tyranitar and wearing down Snorlax very easily, Mainly prefered on such a Offensive Set. Ice Beam is required for Suicune to hit Pokemons that resist Hydro Pump like Celebi, Breloom and Salamence while having a harder move on Zapdos and Flygon. Hidden Power Grass is there to hit Waters like Milotic, Swampert, Vaporeon and Opposing Suicune. The Speed EVs on Suicune allows it to outspeed Jolly Metagross and Breloom, Timid Magneton, Cloyster, and such a large majority of Celebi and Jirachi, which have a wide variance in Speed. Max Special Attack with Modest Nature allows Suicune to hit it as hard as it can and getting the most out of its Base 90 Special Attack. The Rest of its EVs leaves into HP to go along with its 115 Defenses.

1640138063820.png

Ghost Poison

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 112 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt / Fire Punch
- Ice Punch / Giga Drain

Gengar is the Ground Immunity thanks to its Ability Levitate and a Physical Counter with Will-O-Wisp to spread Burns to weaken Physical Attackers. It baits Special Walls in like Blissey, which is a problem to this kind of Team, Explodes on them for Damage then allow Dugtrio to come in to pick them off. It also pefroms as a Spinblocker with its Ghost typing as its immune to Rapid Spin, preventing the Removal of Spikes layed by Cloyster. This Defensive set maintains pressure both Defensively and Offensively in addition to a well-balanced combo of Utility and Coverage options. This makes Gengar to be a centralizing threat in ADV OU with amazing versatility. Gengar also acts as a Bait for Blissey while it sponges Gengar's BoltBeam coverage and shrugs off Will-O-Wisp Burn's with its Natural Cure Ability, It can just Explode on it knowing you can't do significant damage with Special Moves. Will-O-Wisp hits everything that isn't a Fire-type or has Natural Cure and its a Great tool to weaken Physical Attackers while crippling them 12.5% at a Time. I Explained how Good the Combination of Ice + Electric is with Jirachi but it hits lots of Offensive Threats for Neutral to Super-Effective Damage. As a Alternative, Fire Punch and Giga Drain are also nice Coverage Moves a player named UD used but there mainly less common as it leaves Gengar to do nothing against Charizard and Moltres. Explosion is there to decent to Heavy Damage to anything that isn't Immune or Resisted, even with 0 Attack Investment and Timid Nature. The Defensive EV spread given on Gengar is 96 EVs in Speed outpaces +Speed Natured Moltres. 248 HP and 112 SpD makes it live Pursuit Tyranitar's Crunch in Sand. 248 HP and 52 Def allows it to live +1 Salamence and Gyarados STAB Hidden Power Flying in Sand.

1640179259631.png

Ground

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Beat Up
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace

Dugtrio is significant part of Special Offense Teams because its ability to Trap Blissey and mainly 2HKO or even OHKO it, which is Big for Special Offense as its a prominent Pokemon walling Special Threats with its High HP and Special Defense. Its pretty explanatory why its on a Team like this So let's get into the Moves and EVs. Earthquake is Dugtrio's general STAB that rips Metagame Staples like Tyranitar, Metagross, Jirachi, Magneton and the aforementioned Blissey. Hidden Power Bug is really there for Celebi as its x4 weak to Bug. Aerial Ace on Dugtrio is used for Threats like Heracross and Breloom. Then Beat Up is niche but used to inflict more Damage onto Blissey if the Team has decent Attack Stats as something like -Attack Suicune, Jirachi and Zapdos as you don't think of Physical Attackers, its still Decent to work with Beat Up with 6 Pokemon. A Notable pro with Beat Up is that while using it, You can't be countered as Beat Up is Dark-type Move that is Special in Gen 3. The EVs on Dugtrio starting with HP and SpD EVs allows Dugtrio to Live Bold and Modest Blisseys Ice Beam and gives a Low Chance to be OHKO by Modest Hidden Power Grass/Ice from Zapdos which the Standard EV spread can't. 96 Speed EVs along with Jolly Nature lets Dugtrio outspeed Base 100s and everything below thats Popular in the Tier which is huge. Max Attack on the Choice Band set to acheive as much power with its Base 80 Attack which is fairly Mediocre

Anyways, Thats my Team Run-down so I hope you enjoy and get Good Mileage out of it. Any Feedback would be nice, I will happily be opened too. Happy Holidays for the People who Celebrates!

Team Pokepaste:

1640191184873.png 1640191214475.png 1640191230496.png 1640191271091.png 1640191286065.png 1640191304649.png

Attachments

Last edited:
I think dugtrio is a bit hard to work on something like this, because if you get a trap it's relatively easy for opposing sweepers to use that momentum and get out of hand. I think something like hp ghost gyarados would be borderline unplayable for this team, as jirachi could take damage early on in the game leaving it in range of a +1 earthquake and you'd get swept from there. That's not an incredibly common matchup, but just something to watch out for. Slow and bulky rachi probably helps as a buffer against physical setuppers, but being that slow leaves it vulnerable to heracross, moltres, and breloom's spore, and moltres especially is hard to switch into here (that's kinda the nature of offense though).

Twisted spoon zam is pretty nice, because it'll bluff trick choice band zam and zam probably dies in one hit to anything anyway so the hp doesn't much matter I guess. I think it benefits enough from knock off or encore that it'd be worth dropping one of your moves for one of those, as knock off could really help rachi against some of its checks or encore could prevent you from getting steamrolled by a ddtar that's setting up. Rapid spin on cloyster is useless in my experience, especially on a team as offensive as this, so I think you'd be better off with ice beam so that it can help check salamence.

It's absolutely worth it to drop a couple points in attack and get your dugtrio faster than +1 adamant tar (332 is the benchmark to do that). ddtar in general looks like a massive problem to face with this team, and the fact that basically every tar is gonna outspeed at +1 doesn't help your case.

Speaking of tyranitar, this team could use sand. Most teams have a tyranitar, but when your opponent doesn't bring it for you I imagine you'll have a hard time making damage stick, especially because cloy normally can't lay more than one layer of spikes before it has to explode.

Do you have any replays to show of this team, or a recorded ladder peak with it?
Thanks for posting, cool team

I think dugtrio is a bit hard to work on something like this, because if you get a trap it's relatively easy for opposing sweepers to use that momentum and get out of hand. I think something like hp ghost gyarados would be borderline unplayable for this team, as jirachi could take damage early on in the game leaving it in range of a +1 earthquake and you'd get swept from there. That's not an incredibly common matchup, but just something to watch out for. Slow and bulky rachi probably helps as a buffer against physical setuppers, but being that slow leaves it vulnerable to heracross, moltres, and breloom's spore, and moltres especially is hard to switch into here (that's kinda the nature of offense though).

Twisted spoon zam is pretty nice, because it'll bluff trick choice band zam and zam probably dies in one hit to anything anyway so the hp doesn't much matter I guess. I think it benefits enough from knock off or encore that it'd be worth dropping one of your moves for one of those, as knock off could really help rachi against some of its checks or encore could prevent you from getting steamrolled by a ddtar that's setting up. Rapid spin on cloyster is useless in my experience, especially on a team as offensive as this, so I think you'd be better off with ice beam so that it can help check salamence.

It's absolutely worth it to drop a couple points in attack and get your dugtrio faster than +1 adamant tar (332 is the benchmark to do that). ddtar in general looks like a massive problem to face with this team, and the fact that basically every tar is gonna outspeed at +1 doesn't help your case.

Speaking of tyranitar, this team could use sand. Most teams have a tyranitar, but when your opponent doesn't bring it for you I imagine you'll have a hard time making damage stick, especially because cloy normally can't lay more than one layer of spikes before it has to explode.

Do you have any replays to show of this team, or a recorded ladder peak with it?
Thanks for posting, cool team
Hey, Thanks for your Advice!

Have a wonderful year of 2022!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)