Approved Add additional move category filters to the teambuilder

Hi all. When searching for moves to use that work with certain abilities, I always found it odd that we cannot filter for certain categories of moves that the game recognizes as working with certain items, abilities, etc., and I think this would be helpful for building teams if it were to be added. To clarify, I am talking about these types of move categories: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Moves_by_usage_method.

To give an example of this, say I wanted to look for moves that work with the item Throat Spray. Currently, there is no way to filter by sound-based moves. What I am suggesting is that similar to how you can search for moves that fall under the "Physical", "Special", or "Status" categories, the categories in the above Bulbapedia link could be included as well. So if I were to type in the category "Powder and Spore", I would be shown all the Powder- and Spore-based moves a Pokemon learns, which includes: Cotton Spore, Magic Powder, Poison Powder, Powder, Rage Powder, Sleep Powder, Spore, and Stun Spore. This would be useful in determining what moves are blocked by Overcoat, for example, and would be helpful in deciding whether to use Overcoat or another ability.

As an extension of this, other categories of moves could be added that work with certain abilities. For example, a category of moves could be added that work with the ability Sheer Force. This might be harder to implement and thus less reasonable, since the list of moves and abilities that work together in this way is much larger (ex. see https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Additional_effect for moves that work with Sheer Force), but I think at least the first suggestion is pretty reasonable.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your work on PS!

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
There already is a way to do this in any chatroom: the movesearch command.
1670335446349.png

Use /help movesearch to see more details. I'd be in favor of it supported in the teambuilder as well though.

That is helpful, but somewhat obscure for most users, and I do think a filter option within the teambuilder would still be valuable. I know I forget the Showdown commands all the time, and frequently have to Google search them to remember what ones exist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)