Rejected - Inactive Add a scroller to long chat-commands

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hello I would like to suggest that all Pokémon Showdown chat commands automatically get a scrollbar to their side upon exceeding a certain length, so that they take much less space in chat. This would avoid needing to do it separately for every command that's too long

For example it'll help when broadcasting some common commands' help :

I believe that it would be an excellent idea to have this apply to the /rank command as well, it is much more user-friendly to enter the command and browse through a small menu rather than having it take 1.5 full pages of lines everywhere, half of which are outdated and just pollute your space if you have been playing many formats

Having small menus to browse through is much better especially to not interrupt/hide discussions in my opinion. A scrollbar may be more practical than a "Read more" option like !code has, since such an option would not entirely remove the problem (people who click it would still flood their screen if it's a very long command). It can be a second option if scrolling is not possible though

Regarding the minimal length after which a command should have a scrollbar next to it, I guess that around 6-7 lines is a good start, but I'm not certain what the most relevant option would be (lines? pixels? characters?) since the messages have different sizes depending on the device & monitor. So if someone has a better idea feel free to share it :)

Thanks for your attention

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
I think the best way to do this is just to add scrollbars to the commands that are frequently long rather than doing it client-side with an arbitrary cutoff like 7 lines. Are there other commands that don't have scrollbars but are still too long, aside from /rank and /help poll?

I think the best way to do this is just to add scrollbars to the commands that are frequently long rather than doing it client-side with an arbitrary cutoff like 7 lines. Are there other commands that don't have scrollbars but are still too long, aside from /rank and /help poll?
Off the top of my head:

/roomsettings
/nds | /is | /ms
/roomhelp

There are definitely more but those ones also take up a lot of chat space, from what I remember.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
In general I consider mini-scrollbars to be horrible UX. I don't want to scroll through and squint at a tiny box when I have a huge screen.

Much better to make them collapsible, if people's problems with them is that they take up too much space. They take up exactly the right amount of space if I actually want to read them.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
We use mini-scrollbars in roomintros mainly to "strongly encourage" rooms to keep their size under the limit. I would make them readmores, but we don't currently have a way to make readmores appear at specific heights for HTML (!code uses a guess which only works for plaintext). The new client will convert them to readmores.

I don't want them to be used anywhere else. If a scrollbar exists, it should be as big as possible. Imagine how annoying the format list would be to navigate if you had to scroll through a tiny box for it.

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Much better to make them collapsible, if people's problems with them is that they take up too much space. They take up exactly the right amount of space if I actually want to read them.
I stumbled upon the /dailies informational command and actually it already works that way :

I feel like that's the best compromise to make longer commands less "aggressive", whereas after having thought of it, scrollbars might be annoying to cope with on mobile. Besides, even on PC, certain scrollbars are ugly when you have a smaller monitor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)