Rejected - Inactive Add a "removed" tag for moves cut in gen 8

This was something I brought up in the bug reports forum, but it was suggested that I posted it here instead.

I'm sure most will be aware that many moves (Pursuit, Heart Swap, Hidden Power, etc.) were cut from the most recent games: Pokemon Sword and Shield. However this is not quite true and, while the moves cannot be selected in battle, they do still count as a moveslot meaning that you can effectively enter battle with no useable moves. Cartridge footage here: This might not affect high level competitive play, but for the sake of having a correct simulator or inevitably if someone decides they want to try out Choice Band, Technician Struggle Scizor which has Silver Wind as its only move, allowing this possibility seems to make sense.

I would propose 2 solutions to the inevitable response that it would confuse new players:
  1. In the teambuilder, replace the "Illegal" with one saying something like "Removed". Maybe give it an orange colour if you want to distinguish between it.
  2. When entering a battle, a popup will display if there are any issues with the team. Having a popup which says something like "Your Insert Pokemon has the move Insert Move that cannot be selected in battle. Would you like to continue?"
The way I see it, that informs players more than enough against using the moves, but allows battles to be simulated accurately as they would be in game.

I think this could also be useful for things like the National Dex metagame. Moves with a "Removed" tag in generation 8 will be legal on the same Pokemon in National Dex.
Definitely a low priority addition, but one that would be true to the cartridge games nonetheless.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)