Done Add a PM blacklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hello, I would like to suggest a feature allowing the users of Pokémon Showdown to permanently block somebody from privately messaging them on the sim. It would be different than a perma-ignore (which I think was, understandably, denied in the past), and solely display the "User is blocking their private messages" to the PM-blacklisted person.
This would mainly be to deal with annoying users who do not get the point across when they're sent off or when /blockpms is used by the person that they try to PM. At least the person receiving the PM won't have to keep dealing with seeing a user that they don't wanna chat with, blocking all PMs at the risk of preventing their actual friends from PMing them, or having to use /ignore every time (and have it wear off after a refresh). It would be for situations that do not warrant a global punishment.
Thank you for reading.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
I love this idea.
I mostly only hang out in rooms that I staff all one of them so I often feel like I just can't ignore the pest since I know they'll bring it to the room and I won't be able to see it when it happens, nor do I want to block off everyone else from pming me, so I often just minimize their message box and deal with the notification spam. plus my internet is garbage so ignoring is just a waste of time when I get dc'd to hell

Albeit this could just be a matter of me not reporting people even though I maybe should be-

pre

pkmn.cc
With respect to the feature request in question: I think the request is reasonable, but the implementation is somewhat blocked on questions around persistence. The two options are to either store a list of ignored users in local storage (not really the 'correct' solution, only applies to that specific client, would only be chosen out of convenience) or in a server database (historically difficult). Developers have been talking about an easy way to persist per-user settings server side (also useful for persistent block PMs/challenges/ionext etc) - logically a new table in the main login server database keyed by user ID would be the place to do this (perhaps with a general schema to avoid future migration headaches), though the existence of side servers makes that difficult, so there's also the idea of storing a per-user settings DB on the sim server in something like SQLite (or file storage, for smaller side servers). Resolving the question of per-user settings persistence is a high value project, though isn't really something a new dev would be encouraged to take on.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
They do? How can I block someone from chatting with me in the same public chat?
You can just use /ignore to block out one specific user until you either unignore them or log out next, but I was referencing room blacklists where a user is barred from entering a room for 12 months.

You can just use /ignore to block out one specific user until you either unignore them or log out next, but I was referencing room blacklists where a user is barred from entering a room for 12 months.
Oh... I actually asked for an update that would block a user permanently. Like, no logging out, no refresh, everytime I visit the site, I have to type in the same command again, and the same people again. I think the only time a person should be off of my ignore list is if I type /unignore.

I requested that feature, but it was deemed a duplicate. May be it was because of my wording.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Oh... I actually asked for an update that would block a user permanently. Like, no logging out, no refresh, everytime I visit the site, I have to type in the same command again, and the same people again. I think the only time a person should be off of my ignore list is if I type /unignore.

I requested that feature, but it was deemed a duplicate. May be it was because of my wording.
A duplicate means theres already a suggestion for your request, it dosen't mean your request was rejected. We just don't want multiple threads for the same suggestions. If you support and existing suggestion, please "like" the original post (OP) of the thread to show your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)