Done Ability to create custom formats via a 'Format Builder' tool

There are instances when I play Pokemon showdown with those that are not too familiar with the newer Gens' Pokedex/moves/abilities, but still enjoy the mechanics of the newer games over the old (temporary weather, physical/special moves not being tied to a type, steel not resisting dark anymore, etc).

So I'm suggesting a Custom Format Builder tool that can be accessed right under the Teambuilder button.

It would take you to a page that allows you to essential build your own ruleset.

Things you could specify:
- Generation
- Generation mechanics (will generally be tied with Generation, but, for example, it would be possible to have only Pokemon up to Gen 3, but still use the same mechanics and learnsets of Gen 7)
- Rulesets (existing ones that would be compatible with the selected Generation Pokedex and mechanics, ie Doubles, Monotype, Battle Factory, etc.)
- Tier
- Clauses
- Turn timers (within a certain range)
- Option to not record replays
- Randomized or built teams

One player would create their format, and it would be listed in the menu under something like Custom Format. They would send out a battle request, either to a random player (in which only randomized teams can be used, based ) or a known player (where either can be used). The second player, should they accept the request, will first be shown a page detailing all the rules. If they agree, the battle starts. If not, then they may decline the request, and no battle takes place.

Obviously there would have to be more fine tuning involved, but I believe the core concept can be a fun feature!
Please let me know if this is an acceptable endeavor to start!

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
not gonna lie, a GUI for making custom formats would be a huge plus. theres so much that can be done with it and it absolutely beats needing to learn the syntax for rulesets.

it's just a whole lot of work to make such a thing

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
I'm feeling bored. I'll do something like this. It's worth noting some of the things listed in the OP aren't feasible (ie customizing generation mechanics), but I can make a GUI for custom rules, as Mathy was saying.

Last edited:

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
While it's essentially a temporary measure at most, in the meantime of waiting for this to get added to PS you can actually PM Lady Monita (SirDono's bot) .trm tp and do effectively what the OP is requesting--the stipulations being that you 1) still have to copy/paste the challenge code once you're done, and then use /challenge to issue the challenge to someone and 2) if you're planning on adding a billion rules, the person being challenged still can't see everything listed out as nicely as the OP is looking for. Hope this helps some people for now, though.

E: looks like this
unknown.png

Last edited:
Sorry, I haven't had much luck with this. If I try without challenging a user, there seems to be no output. It just says "Submitted!" and I can't seem to do anything with the format I've supposedly made. Also, if I add a user to challenge, it throws an error, saying "This format requires you to use your own team." and " If you're not using a custom client, please report this as a bug.". Any idea why?

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)