Walrus A top Ten Walrus (Maybe even top 5!)

heya casual reminder i'm not him, i'm them,, and pending weather among other factors, my walrus tomorrow will be anywhere from an hour before Texas's to maybe even after it.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Great instrumentals which are a must for me and hip-hop, Kanye has some really sick lyrics here, cutting at loneliness and materalism. Rick Ross is also here.
This shit hits my buttons right. I'm partial to Master Exploder but this is right behind it for great parody rock. This isn't the greatest song in the world but it is a tribute!
Oh fuck yeah bud let's fuckin' go fuckin' give 'er bud. This is like a top tier Pokemon Champion theme music. Fuckin' banger bud.
Drives a great pace, instumentals are strong. One of the underrated parts of metal is how the vocalists are less the focus and more an additional instruments. This guys voice objectively sucks but it works perfectly with the sound of the song itself, lots of shades of Bulls of Parade in the distortion they have going. Does a good job of keeping things fresh too, plays off of the base sound in interesting ways at good intervals. Probably about 5 minutes too long though or it could have easily scored a mid-9.
This is some good shit, great chill rock, gritty vocals are sick, not quite a special song but definitely one that would get added to my library
Classic.
Hard guilty pleasure
Y'all give me such difficult songs to evaluate. Introductory period is way too long but gets into some really nice beats and really cool sounds. Doesn't quite do enough to really blow me away but gets into a really nice groove. Good song.
Discount Paramore. I like Paramore. This song is good, nothing special, had a good foundation but needed to be more dynamic.
Low key prefer a bunch of Lion King 2 songs to this one, behind only Circle of Life and Be Prepared. Not One of Us and We are One stand up to any other. This is good too though.
Ambitious sound. Reminds me of late 80s rock in electro synth, vocalist is definitely emulating Sting. Flies a bit too close to the sun I think, fails to really have an identity and the result of the ambition is a very messy track. Definitely some appeal to this but it's a lot of hit and miss, can't quite cut bait.
Backing music and refrain are pretty great. Rap is pretty weak. Too bad. The verses are okay but the chorus sucks dick, really kills the vibe.

And our scores following the 0.7x scale categories!

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

SubmittorSongScore
shubaka17San Fransisco Street - Sun Rai
8.8​
AladyynSatan's Hollow - Beyond the Bells
8.6​
Steven SnypePop Culture - Madeon
8.2​
myzozoaDisparate Youth - Santigold
8​
LectrysShostakovich Symphony No. 10 in E minor
8​
BLOODYRAIN100018 Mile - Eminem
7.5​
apricityThis Love - Maroon 5
7.2​
Aura GuardianRide of the Valkyries - Richard Wagner
7​
leonard (from big bang theory)Riptide - Vance Joy
6.8​
Robert AlfonsFrankie Knuckles - Your Love
6.7​
UncleSamI Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
6.5​
IsaSweet Trip - Sept
4.5​
Da Letter ElTina Turner - Simply the Best
4​

I'm noticing a theme in your submissions lol, mood music to the max. This is nice, can imagine listening to it driving at night in the dark and just melting away. The simplicity in this one works in its favour because the bass gives it so much colour, everything is low key but engaging. Really nice.
Good bit of speed metal, vocals are par for the course for this genre and do a good job of being unique, and the instrumentals are strong, strong percussion and a good guitar solo. Enjoyed it.
A bit outside of my usual music ranges but I dig this, good pacing, good sound, has me head bopping and the distortion enhances rather than detracts. Solid entry. Gets better as it goes oin, develops into a solid jam. I might add this, it's quite enjoyable.
Not gonna lie I don't remember a single thing about the vocalists, utterly forgettable. On the plus side this is largely in part because the backing music is really good and I just got absorbed into it, it's kind of like the best metal music in that way.
This is pretty fun! Frenetic pace, real tempo raiser. Horns only go so far unless your name is Duel of the Fates bu this is pretty epic!
One of Eminem's weaker original songs lyrically and beatwise but the funny thing is that even weaker Eminem is still really fucking good, man just carries so much emotion is his verse and flow. The third stanza is as good as anything of his.
Top end Maroon 5 is very good and this is on of their top 5 songs for sure. Not quite as good as Wake Up Call or Makes Me Wonder or She Will Be Loved, but very good.
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! *promptly dies of CTE*
Kind of a meme song nowadays but you don't get to be a meme song unless there's some redeeming qualities about you. His voice is a little ass but he's got a catchy af chorus nonetheless. Just a decent song though. Bonus points for making me sing along.
Strong instrumentals, nice tempo, vocals are pretty meh.
It's a classic song but a bit overrated imo, don't think the vocals are really anything special and the melody is nice but ntohing too interesting. Still a good fundamental song.
This was starting off pretty interesting, interesting sounds and beats. The flip at 1:13 is outright offensive to the ears. Vocal kick at 1:50 is nice. Midedle of the song is nice, but some weird fades in and out. I could see where someone might like this but it's too much for me, too discordant.
Kind of boring tbh. Tina's style can work well sometimes (Proud Mary, It's Only Love), but this is just slow and invariate without anything particularly interesting happening vocally. Meh.

Texas Cloverleaf

SubmittorSongScoreWrite Up
UncleSamI'll Make a Man out of You - Mulan
9​
One of my go-to karaoke songs PLS
shubaka17Body Talks - The Struts ft. Ke$ha
8.3​
Fun jam, all chorus of course, but Kesha spices it up nicely.
AladyynDifferent People - No Doubt
8.1​
I like this well enough, nice sound, nice instrumentals. I've just never liked Gwen Stefani's vocal stylings much. Doesn't knock it too badly though.
Da Letter ElBest of You - Foo Fighters
8​
Foo Fighters are generally pretty great and this is one of their good songs, but they're even better than this song shows, good as it is
myzozoaTry Sleeping with a Broken Heart - Alicia Keys
7.9​
Bizarrely this is an Alicia Keys song where the vocals are the weakest part. Should tell you all you need to know about how good the rest of the song is. Unfortunately the vocals are pretty far off from her usual high standard.
BLOODYRAIN100017 Years - Lukas Graham
7.5​
I appreciate the storytelling and emotion in this one, rises above the medicore pop structure, rounds out to very listenable.
Steven SnypeMajestic - Wax Fang
7.4​
First minute and a half are pretty average. I like the vocalist and tone when he enters. Reminiscent of Welcome to the Black Parade a bit. Would have preferred if it was this the whole way through without the intro. Guitar solo is sick. Outro is similarly average. Shame, this is a pretty great song sandwiched between a meh one and an okay one. I did like it though.
leonard (from big bang theory)Misbehaving - Labrinth
7.2​
Whoa, that's a lot of sounds to synthesize together. Disorienting at first but pulls together the long the song goes on. Not sure it ever rises above the sum of its parts though. Vocals and electric on their own would have been a great pairing. Not the kind of song you can ever get lost in though. Hard one to rate.
apricityPumped Up Kicks - Foster the People
7​
Basic white girl alt-pop
IsaStrange - Galaxie 500
6.5​
Music is pleasant to listen to but not especially interesting, vocals are jarring but grow on you. Don't mind this much, but nothing particularly notable about it.
LectrysFestiva Jubilosa - Rutgers Wind Ensemble
5​
This one doesn't do it for me I'm afraid, kind of indistinct and just ends up as uninteresting to me.
Robert AlfonsSing Another Song, Boys - Leonard Cohen
3​
Leonard Cohen sucks. Music is alright I guess.
Aura GuardianNever Split the Party - Emerald Rose
0​
I appreciate what this was going for but this is a Cat Fail. Lyrics are quaint but unamusing and the musicality is non-existant. Sorry. I don't like the idea of cat fails in a walrus like this though, so I will allow you to resubmit for this category if you so choose.

Texas Cloverleaf

SubmittorSongScoreWrite Up
IsaYouth of America - The Wipers
10​
Our boy did it. Killer bass shit, great guitars, crappy vocals that work with the grungy vibe. The bass riff they have is so damn good it carries a solid six minutes of sound experimentation.
AladyynNothing Left - Obscure Sphinx
9.5​
The screamo growls are the absolute pits. Everything else is fantastic.
BLOODYRAIN10001A Tale of Six Trillion Years and a Night - Wagakki Band
9.3​
Absolutely frenetic, no clue what they were saying but the vocals worked pretty well with the sound they were going for and you could really hear the talent coming through on the instruments in a very distinct way to my anglo ears. Quite enjoyed it.
leonard (from big bang theory)Hey Ya! - Outkast
9​
One of the best to come from the 00s, so much is good about this instrumentally but at the end of the day its just a really fun, feel good song, and it can't reasonably get lower than this.
LectrysBGM1 (Silver Surfer) - GaMetal
8.9​
Fun track.
Aura GuardianMidna's Lament - Twilight Princess
8.8​
Really masterfully composed piece, the aura is reminiscent of the vaguely ominous towns of RBY Lavender Tower and there is a distinctly mournful tone that comes across in the melody. Very emotive.
Steven SnypeBloody Well Right - Supertramp
8.6​
Never been a huge fan of Supertramp or Radiohead. I have a few problems with the pacing and structure of this but the guitars are really fucking good goddamn.
myzozoaOur Day Will Come - Amy Winehouse
8.4​
I don't think I ever really got the chance to appreciate Amy Winehouse when I was younger, it was all scandals and overdoses, and Rehab was the only song that really came with exposure. Never knew how damn talented of a singer she is. Not quite enough to this to drive it higher but what is there is a treat to listen to.
Da Letter ElYou're the Best Around - Joe Esposito
8.3​
Auto-fail for the lyric video title misspelling "your". That said, this a really fun, feel good song, pretty good technically too and since I'm grading for fun a little, Cyndi gets a little fuck you too.
UncleSamGirls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
8.2​
Never been the biggest fan of this, but it can and will win you over and just make you feel that little better.
apricitySeven Nation Army - The White Stripes
8​
apricity features again with your radio fodder. I really do love this song but I've heard it so many times its lost the lustre of the first fifty times you listen to it and ultimately it ends up as a good, not great song.
shubaka17Colors - Loona
3.6​
From the way this is composed I'm guessing the main attraction is supposed to be a super cut of high quality kpop voices. This attraction is lost on me unfortunately, the voices fail to be particularly distinct from each other or the fairly monotone backing track and milquetoast arrangement. Nothing in this grabs my attention or maintains an interest and it really just ends up as something I actively don't want to listen to.
Robert AlfonsNostalgia - Gorguts
3.2​
A car crash from the word go, nothing about this really works, it's just loud for the sake of being loud. And this coming from a metal fan. It's not entirely unsalvageable though, as shitty as the vocals and percussion and noise in general is, there are some fairly interesting and inventive riffs and rolls in the guitar arrangement, but they're nowhere near enough to salvage this. It's like listening to a migraine.

Texas Cloverleaf

Had abandoned this because life got busy and I was having a hard time chasing people down for songs but figure I may as well finish it out with what I've got and just post stuff as I go

Texas Cloverleaf

1587659225785.png

SubmittorSongScoreWrite UpYT Link
AladyynI Am the Wargod - Destroyer 666
8.4​
Vocals are quite forgettable but the instrumentals are very nice, good mood metal.
Uncle SamStairway to Heaven - UncleSam
8​
Sam is a cheater pt 1. Pander capped at 8.
Steven SnypeSympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
7.5​
Stones are pretty meh for me too, but this is a good, classic, song. Could stand to be a lot more dynamic and a lot less repetitive though.
Da Letter ElThe Greatest - Sia
7.5​
I like Sia. It's an alright song. Chorus is very nice, rest is kind of boring. Still earns a decent score.
leonard (from big bang theory)Life Itself - Glass Animals
7​
Enjoyable, but forgettable
shubaka17Flava Wave - The 485s
6.5​
First 43 seconds are straight hot fucking garbage. Chorus is very bad too. Music/beat is very nice though, as is the lead rappers rhythm. Good base for stuff if they take out the trash. 90s vibe is kinda neat.
LectrysThe Greatest Warrior in the Galaxy - Kirby SS Ultra
4​
I like the pace but its musically uninteresting. Sufficient background music but nothing more.
Aura GuardianImmortals - Fall Out Boy
3.8​
Modulation on the vocals is very gross, chorus is pretty iconic. I feel like I've heard a radio edit that’s ten times better sounding than this. Didn't like this version at all.
myzozoa
0​
Robert AlfonsBlack is the Color of my True Love's Hair - Patty Waters
0​
Why is this fourteen minutes. Apparently this is a method piece about a woman going insane so that's interesting. However, this is not at all what this walrus is evaluating on. No redeeming qualities musically or from my personal enjoymenyt.
BLOODYRAIN10001
0​
Isa
0​
apricity
0​

Texas Cloverleaf

It's not but it will be very very very uninteresting if I give you three 10s over the last five categories for submitting universally acclaimed songs :p, scaled it down for the sake of the competition, you can consider your final score to have an additional 6 points without capping

*I am open to being convinced otherwise if you think this is not a reasonable course of action

Texas Cloverleaf

1587666444172.png

SubmittorSongScoreWrite UpYT Link
AladyynEvil - Mercyful Fate
9.4​
Very nice, the vocals are actually quite clean and mesh nicely with the strong backing instrumentals. Excellent guitar solos too.
Aura GuardianShelter from the Storm - The Stupendium
9.1​
This is very good, not perfect but enjoyable. I'd definitely listen to it again.
Steven SnypeBoddhisatva - Steely Dan
9​
This is how you do a long instrumental intro, key/instrumental shifts, keep things interesting on top of a strong sound. Vocals are by far the weakest part of this song, but every instrumental section is excellent. Won't be adding this, but regard it quite highly. Outro is fucking sick.
leonard (from big bang theory)korokoro korogaru - KikuoHana
8.3​
Very bizarre but also very well composed. An interesting listen musically. Nice submit.
UncleSamHotel California - The Eagles
8​
Sam is a cheater pt 2. Pander capped at 8.
shubaka17Over the Sky - Dreamcatcher
5​
No good explanation for this one. It's not bad but I just didn't particularly like it.
LectrysTaiko March - Taiko Drum Master
5​
Not my thing, but fine for what it is
IsaPink Moon - Nick Drake
3.4​
Ooh. This is not very good. Musically its okay but vocally its not and its just very very boring overall. Did not enjoy. Will give points for some nice melodies
Da Letter ElUltimate - Denzel Curry
2​
Very very very very bad
Robert AlfonsSongs that have no Making Out - U.S. Maple
1​
Trash
myzozoa
0​
BLOODYRAIN10001
0​
apricity
0​

oh shit, this came back
guess I'll throw all these songs into a playlist and chill, hyped

also, those are a lot of zeroes for songs I definitely subbed, are these being posted, like, mid grading the cat?

Texas Cloverleaf

oh shit, this came back
guess I'll throw all these songs into a playlist and chill, hyped

also, those are a lot of zeroes for songs I definitely subbed, are these being posted, like, mid grading the cat?
I don't have a record of songs for you for the last five cats, if you did submit them and I lost them they will be graded at no penalty

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I guess I don’t really get why you’d ‘pander cap’ something that isn’t pandering specifically to you. You asked for the best songs, I sent you the best songs. Just because a lot of other people agree with me doesn’t make them not the best. Imo you should judge based solely on whether you think they’re the best, ignoring everyone else. And I think it’s perfectly reasonable to think Stairway to Heaven or Hotel California is an 8/10 song - that’s just personal taste. I don’t think it’s reasonable to think it’s a 10/10 but draw an arbitrary line on how well known a song is when you specifically just asked for best songs and didn’t say don’t send me stuff other people like

It’s also a walrus soooo it’s not really important at all, but who can resist sharing their two cents on meaningless Internet forum philosophical questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)