A Thousand Miles [Insert trivial Ladder rating here]

A Thousand Miles

An OU RMT by MikeDecIsHere

Introduction

So, with the most likely improbable ban of Deoxys-D, this team loses a lot of viability. I usually don't post RMTs unless I feel they're extremely different from most of the teams out there at the time, and this team is definitely one of those. I came up with the idea when I was talking to B-Lulz about Dragon Dance Latios, which most people pass off as a shit set. I really like working with stupid shit that has a chance of working in the meta (I.E. Choice Scarf Jellicent), so I gave it a whirl. The team has done way beyond my expectations, dealing with many of the people at the top of the ladder due to the sheer surprise factor this team brings about. Only one set is Standard, and the rest are weird as fuck, but work extremely well. So, with that, on to the team!

An Inside Look at the Team

Deoxys-Defense @ Fire Gem
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Yeah, this is basically Shake's set with a slight twist. Stealth Rock and Spikes are fairly obvious. Hidden Power Fire with a Fire Gem has three main targets: Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor. The first two usually try to set up or spin on Deoxys. The standard Ferrothorn spread takes around 68% with HP Fire and the gem, so it's an easy 2HKO. Forretress is always brought down to sturdy, which allows me to get my hazards up easy after the KO. Scizor is a common Pokemon that people like to lead against Deoxys-D, thinking it's the Magic Coat / Taunt variant, so Hidden Power Fire completely shits on their life in lack of a better sense. Thunderbolt seems like a very odd choice, but there are a few reasons why I use it. One is that it hits Starmie, which is really the only spinner that I can't safely switch Gengar in to. The second is that it hits Xatu on the switch, and while it might not be doing too much damage, it will deter them from constantly switching in or forcing them to Roost, which allows me to have offensive momentum. Thunderbolt also is nice for the nubs who like to lead with Cloyster and set up a Shell Smash turn 1 (Thunderbolt is a OHKO after White Herb :]). Every now and then I wish I had Psycho Boost, but Breloom and Tentacruel are pretty handily beaten by the rest of my team, so it's not too much of a concern in my book.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

Okay, I know what you're thinking. This set looks absolutely weird as fuck, and Thunder has absolutely zero viability outside of Rain, so what the fuck are you doing you noob? Well, Thunder is meant to hit Tentacruel for a fuckton of damage, and since Tentacruel is usually a common spinner in Rain, it tends to always work in my favor. Shadow Ball is an obvious choice for STAB. Trick is really my only pivot against Stall, which could be annoying with the right Pokemon. Gengar also out speeds the most common Scarfers, which is a really nice bonus, especially Choice Scarf Latios with HP Fire. Destiny Bond is the biggest fuck all for most teams. If Tentacruel goes for the Scald predicting the switch, I can simply Destiny Bond depending on the amount of HP it's at, taking down their Spinner with me. Destiny Bond is also nice to take down Pokemon that could potentially be a threat (like a boosting Pokemon, since they always go for the kill after +1. Would be very foolish not to). This set has definitely saved my ass on multiple occasions, especially taking out Choice Scarf Jirachi!

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Somewhat old school Rotom set. Using Thunderbolt and Volt Switch seems like it could be idiotic, but Sub DD Gyarados could become a huge problem if the opponent is smart. Thunderbolt also does a considerably larger amount to Bulky toed, and nothing on my team really wants to take a Scald, so only having Volt Switch seems like it would be counter intuitive. Will-O-Wisp is obvious, hitting Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Gastrodon on the switch (though if they have the latter, I most likely would pull a double switch). Hydro Pump is obvious STAB choice, but missing sucks, so I guess I could throw Hidden Power Water on here or some kind of bullshit like that. Still, this Rotom is really one of my best Rain Checks, which is very nice.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This is probably the only super standard set on my team when considering spreads and move sets and such. Ice Shard is an extremely nice priority move to have, and really helps me out against Drag Mag, since only having Destiny Bond Gengar would mean my ass would be demolished by Multi Scarfed Dragons (rare I know, but I used it once, so it's always in the back of my mind). Hell, even Scarfed Mence + DD Dragonite would be a pain in the ass without it. But really, it's very nice to have on my team in order to deal with these threats.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The mother fucking champion right here. This thing is an amazing lure for Steel types, which is really what this thing is set to destroy. Pokemon like Heatran and Jirachi always come in expecting a Draco, only to get OHKO or 2HKOed by Earthquake. Dragon Dance also makes its physical attacks moderately powerful, which is decent. However, when combined with Spikes support, it really becomes a viable threat. Dragon Claw and Earthquake have amazing coverage, while HP Fire is meant to hit Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory very hard, even with little investment. The only steel type that likes switching into this thing is Specially Defensive Skarmory, which is rare as fuck anyway. Helps me soften a lot of Pokemon in order to close out with Scizor. Definitely a very underrated Pokemon. +1 Earthquake also takes out Tyranitar after Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes ^_^. There are times I wish I was Special just so Landorus-T wouldn't be as annoying, but more often than not this set does a hell of a job. This Latios also REALLY helps with CM Jirachi, who would be an absolute bitch for the rest of the team.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

This thing is without a doubt one of the biggest threats in the metagame. Easily able to rip through teams late game since +2 is just so freaking powerful. I use max Speed to outspeed Bulky Rotom, which most people don't really ever expect to see. I think there's a better speed point I could hit in order to give Scizor a little more bulk, but I haven't had any issues with Max Speed so far, so whatever works really. Swords Dance is what makes Scizor an absolute terror. At +2, it does 60 something percent to Defensive Skarmory, which is absolutely mind boggling. It also does about 64 % to standard Tentacruel with Bug Bite, so yeah...powerful. Bullet Punch is obvious priority, ripping through anything that isn't a Steel Type (or Fire type too I guess). Bug Bite is for coverage against Water Types. Superpower fucks up SpDef Heatran, Magnezone, etc. So freaking great. This thing is really an absolute monster with hazard support, and like I already said, definitely one of if not the biggest threat in this metagame.

Conclusion

So yeah, this team is weird as fuck, but it's definitely one of the coolest teams I've used in a long time, mainly because real fucking men use Dragon Dance Latios. In terms of threats, I said that Landorus-T with U-Turn is a very annoying Pokemon, however, this team is absolutely largely fucked by Volcarona. My only option is to trick it a Choice Scarf with Gengar, and if it's the incredibly rare Sub Quiver Dance, it could absolutely 6-0 me if it leads off. So yeah, Volcarona, big ass threat. But yeah, I hope you enjoyed the team. Rate, comment, steal, whatever haha. Enjoy~

Deoxys-Defense @ Fire Gem
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Scizor @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey there Mike!

So your pokemon are generic as fuck but your sets are pretty unique, coolio.

I remember seeing you use your Latios against an opponent, and I thought it was kind of unviable but I'll leave it up to you to determine that. To give youself some more mixed firepower, you can use Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse over Dragon Claw so Latios isn't piss weak as it comes in and so that it can kill opposing Dragon types whenever it wants. This is just a nitpick but also try a Hasty Nature over Naive as you'll need the extra SpDef when handling Sun teams.

Speaking of Sun teams, they do seem to be quite problematic for your team. Venasaur is a minute threat as it's walled and KO'd by Deoxys but other Sun sweepers (notably Volcarona) can do a lot of damage to your team. Rain teams can also be trouble; it's not that you lack water sponges but it's that you lack enough power to muscle past defensive water types like SpDef Rotom-W.

To help you handle all of the above threats, you can definitely try Choice Scarf Terrakion over Mamoswine. I don't really see the use of Mamo- as Scizor's BPunch hits most things harder and Terrakion is equally great at revenging Dragon types with Stone Edge. Scizor also prevents a weakness to Grass types, and you already use Latios to lure and destroy steels. I think Scarf Terrakion would help you revenge Volcarona and keep Rain teams at bay, all the while giving you a nice counter to Sand too.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly / 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Close Combat / Stone Edge / Earthquake / XScissor

Terrakion covers a lot of threats this team is weak too- without opening up too many holes in the process. You have multiple ways of defeating pokemon Terrakion is commonly weak to- Ground types are destroyed by Rotom and Gengar, while steels are obliterated by Deoxys and Latios. In return, Terrakion counters Fire types like Volcarona, and gives you a fast revenge killer and cleaner that can also hit Dragons and other common scarfers like Jirachi harder than Gengar. CC and SE are STAB moves, and provide great coverage. EQ hits Jirachi, an XScissor hits Lati@s and other Psychic types.

With Terrakion as your Scarfers, Gengar can drop its item. Although you may have liked ScarfGar, I think having just a simple SubDisable Gengar set would be best, as it has great syngery with the rest of your team and can defeat just as many if not more opponents.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Timid / 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Subsitute / Shadow Ball / Disable / Focus Blast

Once this Gengar gets going, it's hard to stop, and can definitely tear a few holes on your opponent's team. Although it's not as fast as ScarfGar, it can put forth more offensive momentum by scouting with Substitute and Disable, which alow it to defeat opponents such as Lando-T, Tentacruel, and more. It forces switches which causes more hazards damage, and can also hit pretty hard with Shadow Ball / Focus Blast, which provides perfect coverage. It can also defeat choice loked switch ins, and dent SpDef Jirachi, so you don't lose out on that either. It'll be a great change in my opinion.

Other than that, you look pretty good. Good luck Mike!

EDIT: oh and you can try a spread of 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe Adamant on Scizor to outspeed SpDef Rotom-W and Specs Magnezone. Be warned, however, bulky attacker Rotom-W still outspeeds you (not that it didn't beforehand, but you mentioned outspeeding it in your description, which is not true, so it's just a heads up so you don't make any misplays) This spread also outspeeds your typical base 60's like Jellicent / Tyranitar.

I recently created a similar team and it is doing ok. I recommend a life ord deoxys-d with Psycho boost (mandatory) and Thunder/hidden power fire. Also change the EV spread to 252 Attack and speed. This EV spread allows Deoxys-d to function as a reliable lead, while destroying rapid spinners and pokemon like haxorus. Also try using choice scarf heatran to beat sun teams.
Apart from that, everything is good.

Thanks for the rate Elec!

So, Dragon Claw can still one shot all of the dragons it needs to without a boost. I'd rather not use Draco so in the off chance I can set up on Drag Mag Specs Magnezone, I can continually hammer on the opponent's team. I'll most likely not change that. The reason that I use a - SpD nature is mainly for priority users, but I could try the -Def nature. The other problem is that I can no longer live a Stone Edge from Scarfed Terrakion if I do that, which is why I'm hesitant to do it, but I'll try it. By the way, I've gotten about 5 DD Latios sweeps earlier today, so it does work ;)

Sub Disable really doesn't help too much with the offensive pace of my team. In fact, with the changes you suggested, odds are that both Tentacruel and Starmie will have a guaranteed chance to spin, which is a big no-no for hyper offense. Probably going to leave Scarf Gar, since it's designed to stop Rapid Spinners. While Sub Disable could do that, it can't switch into Scald Twice from Tentacruel in the rain, and I would much rather just take it out with Destiny Bond than anything, since Rain Dish + Protect neutralizes almost all hazard damage.

SpDef Rotom-W is absolutely destroyed by Life Orb Scizor, which outspeeds it. Not sure where that weakness came from.

I might try Scarf Terrakion though, although the Ice Priority really is nice for Scarfed Latios. Thanks~

On another note, Rain teams have been zero issue for me :]

Edit: Magcargo, I have no idea why I would make any of those changes. Psycho Boost is not manditory, and why would I run heatran on this team? I have nothing to replace it with and it ruins the synergy.

Edit2: Landorus-I becomes a huge problem with Terrakion. Sticking with Mamoswine

Thanks for the rate Elec!

So, Dragon Claw can still one shot all of the dragons it needs to without a boost. I'd rather not use Draco so in the off chance I can set up on Drag Mag Specs Magnezone, I can continually hammer on the opponent's team. I'll most likely not change that. The reason that I use a - SpD nature is mainly for priority users, but I could try the -Def nature. The other problem is that I can no longer live a Stone Edge from Scarfed Terrakion if I do that, which is why I'm hesitant to do it, but I'll try it. By the way, I've gotten about 5 DD Latios sweeps earlier today, so it does work ;)

Sub Disable really doesn't help too much with the offensive pace of my team. In fact, with the changes you suggested, odds are that both Tentacruel and Starmie will have a guaranteed chance to spin, which is a big no-no for hyper offense. Probably going to leave Scarf Gar, since it's designed to stop Rapid Spinners. While Sub Disable could do that, it can't switch into Scald Twice from Tentacruel in the rain, and I would much rather just take it out with Destiny Bond than anything, since Rain Dish + Protect neutralizes almost all hazard damage.

SpDef Rotom-W is absolutely destroyed by Life Orb Scizor, which outspeeds it. Not sure where that weakness came from.

I might try Scarf Terrakion though, although the Ice Priority really is nice for Scarfed Latios. Thanks~

On another note, Rain teams have been zero issue for me :]

Edit: Magcargo, I have no idea why I would make any of those changes. Psycho Boost is not manditory, and why would I run heatran on this team? I have nothing to replace it with and it ruins the synergy.
I guess your right about my previous post, However, I do not understand your dragon dance latios. Phyiscal walls wall it due to it's low attack and some special walls do the same. While it has the suprise factor, low attacking prowness really hinder it. I recommend dragonite instead of latios. It has a stronger fire blast, earthquake and dragon claw and is more of a threat to physical walls. Also, at least change Deoxys-d's item to life orb and the EV spread to 4hp, 252 special attack and speed. The life orb gives Deoxys-D more long term power while the EV spread allows deoxys-d to act a a suicide lead.

I guess your right about my previous post, However, I do not understand your dragon dance latios. Phyiscal walls wall it due to it's low attack and some special walls do the same. While it has the suprise factor, low attacking prowness really hinder it. I recommend dragonite instead of latios. It has a stronger fire blast, earthquake and dragon claw and is more of a threat to physical walls. Also, at least change Deoxys-d's item to life orb and the EV spread to 4hp, 252 special attack and speed. The life orb gives Deoxys-D more long term power while the EV spread allows deoxys-d to act a a suicide lead.
The bulk allows me to get up as many hazards as possible, which is the entire point of Deoxys-D. Why would I use Life Orb if I want to do this, lowering my own HP is counterproductive. Fire Gem allows me to OHKO Scizor, which is all I want to do. Other than that, I want to get as many hazards as possible, that is all. I don't need power, I need hazards.

The bulk allows me to get up as many hazards as possible, which is the entire point of Deoxys-D. Why would I use Life Orb if I want to do this, lowering my own HP is counterproductive. Fire Gem allows me to OHKO Scizor, which is all I want to do. Other than that, I want to get as many hazards as possible, that is all. I don't need power, I need hazards.
What about dragonite? It seems like a better fit for your team. Access to moves like fire blast and dragon dance make it better than latios due to it's raw power. Speaking of latios, if you are going to keep it, run dragon pluse. Draco meteor can become a liability, against a steel type so why not use dragon pulse. Your Latios's only niche against dragonite is higher speed and special attack, so use it for that.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think I remember facing this team on ladder...or a variation of it, I don't remember.

My only suggestion is to consider Life Orb over Choice Band on Mamoswine. I can't think of any KOes the Band helps to get (unless you've gotten some) and Mamo likes being able to switch moves from my experience.

Good luck!

I think I remember facing this team on ladder...or a variation of it, I don't remember.

My only suggestion is to consider Life Orb over Choice Band on Mamoswine. I can't think of any KOes the Band helps to get (unless you've gotten some) and Mamo likes being able to switch moves from my experience.

Good luck!
Thanks! I think Breloom hates taking a CB Ice Shard, since I'm not sure if LO KOs after a layer of spikes and SR, or even just Spikes. However, I'll give it a test run and see what the results are.

Edit: That's what I thought. And with Jolly Loom becoming popular, it means that LO Mamo isn't strong enough :/

Life Orb Ice Shard from Jolly Mamoswine does not OHKO after SR+Spikes. Only Adamant Mamoswine can OHKO after hazards. CB guarantees the OHKO after just one layer of Spikes.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Lol you get a luvdisc just for the title, better go peak #1 with 99.9999 deviation and 12 battles

Anyways its a nice team, Mike! Looks like Deo-D's potency has improved a lot since I last played this game. Anyways I noticed this team has a bit of trouble with Volcarona, especially under the sun, which will probably up given the nature of most Volc teams and the fact that yours is weatherless. Anyways Volcarona is able to set up on Scizor and can at least force out Latios for the most part and can probably get a free QD there. In sun, Rotom-W isn't able to 2HKO Offensive Volc with Hydro Pump after it gets a QD [38.59% - 46.3%] and fears Roost and Giga Drain a lot, the former making it only possibly to win with a crit and the latter outright KOing it. Volc also Koes Mamo in the sun, despite his ability thick fat. I'm gonna advocate using a Scarfed Garchomp over your Mamoswine. Mamoswine is obviously great but Garchomp is able to kill Scarfed Dragons due to being faster than them and check Volcarona effectively, given that it outspeeds at both +0 and +1 and can OHKO with Stone Edge and also switch in on an attack without dying, if Volcarona so chooses to hit it instead of boost. Going to be a short rate because aside from that this team owns p hard, Magcargo2's suggestion of Dnite>Latios looks good since he beats Volcarona, but I suppose it takes away from the team's wow factor x). Great team and innovation, though, Mike :heart:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Yay DeoD offense!

I'm finding that Sun teams are a huge issue for this team to face. LO Venu can easily sweep considering your Deoxys-D packs no TWave (If I remember correctly, Band Ice Shard is close, but not, a OHKO on 72 HP Venu). You also hate taking rain-boosted Hydro Pumps from Pokemon like Scarf Keldeo, which can currently run you over (except for Gar, which is check at best since you have to both sack it to beat it and hope he isn't locked into SB when it comes in).

But these problems can be easily fixed. Since this team has such great synergy I'm going to recommend switching up some of your sets / moves. By putting Rain Dance over WoW on Rotom-W, you can easily stop sun teams, as you can srt up RD on Ninetales and then follow up with forcing Ninetales to wrack up hazard damage. WoW is only for Scizor, but honestly Hydro Pump from Wash should be more than enough, and DD Latios is easily a decent check. Although I would try (Zen Headbutt or Psyshock) over HP Fire on Latios to beat Keldeo more reliably (does it get Zen? I can't remember ;~;).

Lastly, by simply replacing LO on Scizor for Lum Berry, I feel you can set up on way more threats (defensive Politoed, CM Jirachi, WoW Wash, WoW Jellicent, WoW Gengar, etc.).

The team has great synergy so I wouldn't want to ruin such a perfectly built team with actual replacements. Long live DeoD :P

%MikeDecIsHere: !learn latios, zen headbutt
Latios can learn Zen Headbutt
%MikeDecIsHere: cool

It does learn it, and that's actually a very interesting suggestion. Keldeo isn't really too much of an issue with this team, but I will try Zen over HP Fire and see how it goes. Thanks!

Edit: Also, you are right about the Venusaur thing, as banded Ice Shard is not a OHKO, but I really have plenty of answers with priority and such. However, T-Wave does seem interesting on Deo-D, I might try it out. Thanks!

Edit: Also, thanks Honus! I'll give scarf chomp a whirl, but I might try CB Nite over Latios, despite losing the cool factor :[

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
%MikeDecIsHere: !learn latios, zen headbutt
Latios can learn Zen Headbutt
%MikeDecIsHere: cool

It does learn it, and that's actually a very interesting suggestion. Keldeo isn't really too much of an issue with this team, but I will try Zen over HP Fire and see how it goes. Thanks!

Edit: Also, thanks Honus! I'll give scarf chomp a whirl, but I might try CB Nite over Latios, despite losing the cool factor :[
Yeah Nite seems cool for this team especially since you get to keep Mamoswine who I still beleive is pretty helpful to this team, unfortunately just weak to Volc.

Wow nice team you got going there! I don't see any weaknesses that haven't pointed out already but one suggestion I would make is to swap Icicle Crash ---> Icicle Spear. I don't see a Taunt or Roar on your team so a SubSet-up team can give you some grief. Icicle Spear will at least break a Substitute.

That was my choice scarf Jirachi that your Gengar killed with Destiny Bond. :]

Very nice and solid team Mike, that DD Latios made me really upset, since I was knocked out of my #7 spot on the ladder because of you. I actually referenced you in my RMT of the team with the choice scarf Jirachi, so, there's that. Other than that, the team looks very solid. There aren't too many changes I would consider for the team, all of the good ones have been suggested already.

always go with life orb on mamoswine! the ability to hit hard as fuck while switching moves is part of what makes him so scary.

also try jolly on scizor! it outruns pretty much every defensive heatran/rotom-w, and even with the loss of attack, it still slaughters everything once it's got an sd.

cool team luvdisc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)