A real attempt after being tutored!

Well, after the usage statistics came out for 2008, I decided that I'd try my hand at making a team to counter the standard teams I've encountered in my travels. That being said, here is the fruit of my attempt.

The lead.

Yanmega @ Expert Belt
Nature: Modest (Timid)
Ability: Speed Boost
4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Speed

Protect
Bug Buzz
HP Ground (Fire)
Air Slash

Alright, so the purpose of this lead is not to set up rocks, or give a status effect to a Pokemon or two. It's to kill things. Thinking about common leads, I encounter a lot of T-tars, some Machamp, Azelf, etc. So, this set helps cut down those foes before rocks get up. Yanmega hits hard. It's pretty simple. Timid nature so I can outspeed many things that come my way and not have to protect to get the speed Bonus.

I have HP Fire on to counter the likes of Bronzong, Magnezone, and what ever I might encounter. However, this is going to die, inevitably. And if not, I'm going to take enough damage to ruin any chances of bringing it back in, so this is a "suicide lead" in a sense. After my darling dies, I bring out...

Rocks? How original >.>

Bronzong @Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Heatproof
252 HP / 36 Atk / 156 Def / 64 Sdef

Gyro Ball
Explosion
EQ
Stealth Rocks

Nothing really new here except the nature. The way I see it, I get a free turn, as everyone is going to suspect Levitate. Then, if they are the likes of Heatran or Infernape, I have a free turn to EQ. Also, I can predict the fire move, and absorb it with this. I prefer Heatproof. People plan for Levitate, and build teams accordingly. This throws them off. Other wise, the set is nothing special. So, I get rocks set up, and either die or switch out (preferably the 2nd >.>) and move on.

Roar! I hurt!

T-tar@ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant (Jolly)
Ability: Sand Stream
252 HP / 174 (252) Atk / 84(4) Speed

Aqua Tail (EQ)
Crunch
Super Power
Stone Edge (Thunder Punch)

Alright, so I switched up the standard CB-tar a little here. EQ and Crunch because they hit things hard. EQ because it SE's like... everything and Crunch to deal with pesky Psychics and the likes. Now, the changes.

I like Super Power because I like being able to counter Blissey. I usually run without a fighting attack, and have been crippled from it, because I can't SE her while she cures in my face... Over... and over... So, super power. I used Metalkidd's calculator for the damage calcs, and it said it would OHKO iirc, but I know his is messed up... so yeah.

Then I added Thunder Punch to deal with the waters that feel they can switch in on T-tar all the time. Although he's with the Band, if I can predict carefully, I can whip out a thunder punch, and catch Gyarados, Vaporeon, Starmie (not so much) and Suicune off guard. Sweet, eh?

Then I switched to Jolly, because outspeeding things is a priority over raw power for me. With the CB and Adamant, I felt like I was doing 200%+ in situations where I could still OHKO but not lose as much speed.

Dragon Tamers love me!

Gyarados@ Life Orb (lefties)
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
74 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Speed

Earthquake (bounce)
Dragon Dance
Water Fall
Stone Edge

I saw this set, and liked the ideas behind it. A flying stab for Gyarados is pretty sweet. It checks things like Machamp and Infernape. Although it's uber predictable because it's two turns, it also grants me a turn of free leftovers recovery. Fun! Otherwise, there's nothing very new about this. Stone edge helps with best flying types and Salamence.

Moon-bird-thing!

Cresselia@ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Levitate
252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Sdef

Charge Beam (Psychic)
Rest
Sleep Talk
Ice Beam

I needed something more bulky that could resist my team's ground weaknesses. So, this came to mind. So, a couple of sets came to mind. I could use Moonlight for recovering, but that would never heal me sufficiently due to the ever common Sand Storm. So, I decided to go with the Sleep Talk strategy. I also enjoy having a fighting resistance and counter. Gyarados counters fighting, but I find that Machamp is so versatile, it can still hurt Gyarados a bit before I can do much. So, Cresselia gives me a bit more options for dealign with fighting types.

Also, Ice beam is nice for dealing and walling grounds and Salamence (if needed.)

Finally...!

Magnezone @Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Magnet Pull
172 Atk / 252 Satk / 84 Speed

Thunderbolt
HP Grass
Signal Beam (Flash Cannon)
Explosion

This is my revenge killing-steel-countering-Scizor-killing-machine-of-malice! I seriously love this Pokemon now. Since Sand Stream has been running rampant through OU, and Steels have been flourishing with their great resistances and immunity to sandstorm, Magnezone is a perfect way to deal with them.

I'm on the fence with the HP firstmost though. I like fire to trap Bronzong and Metagross and be able to deal with them. I like ground to get T-tar, and the likes, and Ice is just a great option as well.

Also, Flash Cannon isn't finding me much use. As I normally use this for revenge killing and not sweeping, I haven't put magnet rise in, as I would need to lose the Choice Specs bonus.

.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

So, there's my team. I made it after getting experience in the tutor program (which I unfortunatly lost to Plus... A great battler) and feel I have done a pretty nice job. I'd make a threats list and the likes, but I'm tired and I'm going to bed. However, I would appreciate all the feedback I can get ^^. Thanks in advanced.

HP Fire is really pointless on Yanmega. Bug Buzz has a 135 Base Power with STAB on Bronzong, while HP Fire does 140. Then, you are screwed by Heatran, and won't kill Magnezone either, I believe. If you use HP Ground, you are much better off. You kill Magnezone and Heatran, two of Yanmegas biggest counters, and you also dent Empoleon.

When using that much offensive moves on Bronzong, you might as well boost his Attack to actually beat something. With 280 Attack (Brave, 164 Atk EVs) you OHKO every Heatran with EQ, and every Gengar with Gyro Ball. If you don't want to use it that offensive, I will suggest removing one of your attacks for Hypnosis or Reflect/Light Screen, helping both Bronzong live longer, and your team in general.

To deal with Stall, maximizing the raw power on Tyranitar is a must, and I would therefore advise to drop the Jolly nature. Especially since you doesn't have any Speed EVs either, meaning it's a total waste. Give it 84 Speed EVs after switching to Adamant, meaning you hit Skarmory before it Roosts. Then, Thunderpunch is pretty much useless. Stone Edge is always more powerful than a SE TPunch (180 vs. 150). Stone Edge from CB-Tar is also one of the most devastating moves in the game, hurting even Pokémon resisting it. Also, these days, Aqua Tail is usually the preferred option over Earthquake. You still hit Heatran Super Effective, but you're able to nail Gliscor and Hippowdon switch-ins, 2HKOing them both, meaning they don't counter you anymore. Metagross and the likes isn't very fond of taking boosted Crunches anyway, meaning the drop in coverage is in your favour. Finally, CB Stone Edge will hurt Blissey severly, but it won't OHKO, and with TWave and Softboiled, she might be able to outstall you, meaning Superpower is a decent choice, but you can opt for Pursuit, just to take on fleeing Ghosts.

On Gyarados, you might opt for Life Orb as your item. With Life Orb, Bounce will always OHKO Celebi, when you with Leftovers only manage 96% at maximum. Celebi will most likely not stay in anyway, but it's handy if it's the two remaining Pokémon on the field. Also, versus 136 HP/156 Def-Starmie, with Life Orb you do a minimum of 94%, OHKOing 66% of the time (100% with SS and Stealth Rock), while you with Leftovers only does 85 at max. Obviously, with Stealth Rock and Sandstorm in play, Gyarados won't live long, and LO certainly won't help with that, and if you use Life Orb, you should therefore try to save Gyarados for a later sweep (which he does magnificently), and remove or severly weaken his counters before Dancing.

For Cresselia, I would consider Psycho Shift somewhere. Shifting the Sleep status with Sleep Talk is immensly fun, and then Cresselia isn't only a status absorber, but also a status inducer. You can then consider Flame Orb as your item, but that severly restricts Cresselias longliveity, so I would actually just go with Leftovers and rather switch her in when you predict incoming statusmoves. Keep the attacking move of your liking; Psychic gets STAB, while Ice Beam is very useful for killing dragons, and allow you to damage Tyranitar (at least to a certain degree), so that he doesn't get a free switch-in and a free Pursuit.

For Magnezone, I would use a Timid nature. With 216 Speed and a +Nature, you reach 231, outspeeding 252 Scizor, as well as 252 Tyranitar. Then, to the HP of choice; you don't need hp Ground for Tyranitar, as you already have STAB Flash Cannon, making HP Ground just an inferior choice. Sure, it's useful for battering other Magnezones and Heatran, but Heatran won't like a boosted Thunderbolt. HP Fire is a good choice, as it lets you OHKO Forry and Scizor before they can strike back with EQ or Superpower respectively. Thunderbolt does a minimum of 99% to Max HP/0 SpDef Forretress and 4 HP/0 SpDef Scizor, making HP Fire a rather inferior move. However, should Scizor run a 176/176-spread, TBolt manages a maximum of 83%, meaning you won't OHKO, even with Stealth Rock. I don't really find that a good enough reason to run HP Fire, since not many Scizors does that, and in all honesty, it isn't that hard to deal 30% to a scizor, and then trap it. For the Dragons, Flash Cannon will already hurt dem. Sure, it's not Super Effective, but a Specsed Flash Cannon will hurt them quite badly. One Pokémon you cannot touch, however, is Swampert (which seems to be everywhere these days), so I will say the best Hidden Power to go with is actually Grass.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would suggest replacing psychic with charge beam on cresselia. This will provide greater coverage and help you deal with gyarados more effectively. Cresselia also has a chance at a late game sweep due to the sp. atk raise.

A neutral thunderbolt is more powerful then a super effective Hidden Power Fire, so it's only useful against foretress and scizor. Seeing as you have choice specs, most scizor and foretress will be OHKOed by thunderbolt, thus reducing the need for Hidden Power fire. I would suggest using Hidden Power [Grass], because salamence will is OHKOed by a choice specs thunderbolt after Stealth Rock damage and it allows you to deal with rhyperior and swampert.

Now, you said Flash Cannon wasn't that useful on Magnezone. I suggest replacing it with signal beam. Signal beam will hit the grass types that will sponge thunderbolt and hidden power grass, it is especially useful against celebi, with its 4x weakness to bug.

Life orb is a bad idea on gyarados, due to bounce being a 2-turn move it becomes to easy to oustall. Leftovers is a fine choice, and will help you against infernape if you choose to use charge beam on cresselia.

Stone Edge isn't actually more powerful than a super effective thunder punch.

Neutral Stone Edge: 100 x 1.5 (STAB) = 150
Super-Effective Thunderpunch: 75 x 2 = 150

So, thunderpunch is only more powerful against gyarados in OU, which stone edge will KO anyway unless it is a rest-talker. Therefore use stone edge over thunderpunch on tyranitar.

Use levitate on bronzong, because nothing on your team like taking on rhyperior, especially since cresselia's Ice Beam won't break it's subtitute due to tyranitars Sandstorm increasing it's special defense.

Adamant nature on tyranitar, you want to deal as much damage as possible and the speed boosting nature isn't very useful considering you have no speed Evs.

Modest nature on yanmega, speed boost will increase your speed enough that you don't need a +speed nature. Use HP [ground] on yanmega seeing as you have magnezone to take on scizor. Scizor will be 2HKOedif it switches in on airslash anyway, whereas it cannot KO with a CB bullet punch.
Aqua tail is better on tyranitar than earthquake because it allows you to 2HKO gliscor, donphan and hippowdon, who would otherwise wall you. Blissey won't be staying in on tyranitar any time soon, so replace super-power with pursuit so you can catch starmie and celebi on the switch-out.

Just allow me to give some thoughts to some of panamaxis' ideas;

Life orb is a bad idea on gyarados, due to bounce being a 2-turn move it becomes to easy to oustall. Leftovers is a fine choice, and will help you against infernape if you choose to use charge beam on cresselia.
True, but Infernape will have a very hard time entering the field in the first place, as every Poké is capable of OHKOing him, and even when it does, it has no way of passing Cresselia, really, as a Mild 252 Spatt Life Orb Overheat does 51% at max, Fire Blast 44%, and Flamethrower a pitiful 35%.
For Life Orb to be the preferred choice, one have to be able to save Gyarados for some late game sweeps, when Magnezone have killed most Steels, making nothing able to safely switch into Bounce. As said, it is also absolutely necessary to kill Starmie and Celebi, two Pokémon you otherwise lose to.

Blissey won't be staying in on tyranitar any time soon, so replace super-power with pursuit so you can catch starmie and celebi on the switch-out.
That is not true. I have used a CB Tyranitar on Shoddy for a while, and in most cases, Blissey will stay in, live the Stone Edge, use Thunder Wave, and then stall you out of PP. Seeing as Bronzongs Explosion and Gyarados after a DD is the only other way for him to deal with Blissey, killing it as soon as possible is quite helpful. Also, Starmie and especially Celebi, aren't the biggest threats to this team in the first place. Timid LO starmie does at most 39% to Cress with Hydro Pump.
Pursuit is, however, a decent option to kill Rotoms, so you have to make a choice there.

For your Yanmega, I'd like to recommend that you run the standard Specs set, as your current set-up won't allow you to sweep as effectively as running a Choice Specs will. Honestly, I don't see Yanmega as a serious threat to the opponent by running an Expert Belt and a neutral nature; apart from this, Yanmega makes a poor anti-lead as it won't prevent your opponent from setting up while you use Protect or miss the KO. By using the Specs Set along with Tinted Lens (Speed Boost is still an option though), Yanmega will make for a threatening early-game sweeper and allow the rest of your team to set up much easier later in the game. Another completely different option is to just run Hypnosis over Hidden Power Fire, as it gives Yanmega more options as a lead; Yanmega won't be effectively switching in once the opponent sets up Stealth Rock.

I don't have much else to add except that Life Orb Heatran can really give your team trouble if it switches in effectively. While Cresselia can stall Heatran, I see Heatran still being able to get the upper hand on you because you will have to fear Explosion once your health drops enough; Cresselia won't be doing anything to Heatran either. A decent option is to run Light Screen on Bronzong, as it provides your team with added protection against special attacks; Cresselia does not get any useful resistances against some of the more common specially based attacks.

That's about all I noticed which hasn't been already, so I hope my suggestions were of decent help to you.

Magnezone: A neutral Thunderbolt does more than a super effective HP(142.5>140), and since you are running Specs, Thunderbolt will be dealing enough to Scizor anyways, so HP Fire isn't really a valid option. The best choices are Ground or Ice. HP Ground will OHKO Heatran, and most importantly, other Magnezone, who can trap you when you are stuck on Thunderbolt and kill you with HP Fire / Ground. HP Ground however, does less to the likes of Tyranitar than Thunderbolt, and Zapdos/Gyarados/Salamence get free switchins. You also have Flash Cannon for Tyranitar, so HP Ice is the most viable. HP Ice forms a pseudo boltbeam combo and hits most OU dragons for OHKOs.

Orion said:
If you use HP Ground, you are much better off. You kill Magnezone and Heatran, two of Yanmegas biggest counters, and you also dent Empoleon.
Alright. Will do! Good point. Didn't think of that.

Orion said:
When using that much offensive moves on Bronzong, you might as well boost his Attack to actually beat something. With 280 Attack (Brave, 164 Atk EVs) you OHKO every Heatran with EQ, and every Gengar with Gyro Ball. If you don't want to use it that offensive, I will suggest removing one of your attacks for Hypnosis or Reflect/Light Screen, helping both Bronzong live longer, and your team in general.
I really like the Bronzong set I use. I kill Aerodactyl trying to Taunt me. And other wise I'm not looking to do much damage except to Explode, and to Use rocks.

Orion said:
T-tar stuff.
I like the Aqua Tail idea. I'm also probs going to put Stone Edge back on, as I hadn't taken into account the damage from STAB. If ony the Accuracy was better! >.> I need to look at the Ability and EVs after too. Probs going to go back to Adamant.

For Cresselia, I would consider Psycho Shift somewhere. Shifting the Sleep status with Sleep Talk is immensly fun, and then Cresselia isn't only a status absorber, but also a status inducer.
So... Rest, Sleep Talk, Psycho Shift...? Psychic?

Orion said:
Magnezone Stuff
So, Timid with:
Flash Cannon / Signal Beam
HP Grass
T-bolt
Explosion?

Panamaxis said:
I would suggest replacing psychic with charge beam on cresselia. This will provide greater coverage and help you deal with gyarados more effectively. Cresselia also has a chance at a late game sweep due to the sp. atk raise.
What should the final set be then?

Alright so, here's what I need help with.

The lead. Should I change it? If not, final set?

Also, how is my teams syenergy? I'll update the OP tomorrow with the changes in attacks etc.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whomever said that Hidden Power [GROUND] should be used on Yanmega was correct. Heatran gives you some issues (I don't really know as Heatproof Bronzong is rare) so, being able to deal damage to him (or as much as possible any way) is still a huge deal. I would also change my EV's to 104 Def/ 252 SpA/ 152 Spe which makes Yanmega only a 3HKO by a scizors Bullet Punch. I don't know if that is a difference enough to you, but it'll help with taking Scizor down, as Gyarados doesn't want to be taking Life Orb / CB Bullet Punches. Cress doesn't want an X-Scissor to the face either.

Bronzong, though gimmicky will work since your opponent won't expect it. As, like you said, games are played when a pokemon is assumed to be one thing, when it can be a totally different set.

Thunder Punch is going to give you sub-par coverage when playing with a Tyranitar though. Swampert, a very common switch in is going to not mind a Thunder Punch, neither will a Hippo or any Ground type for that matter. I suggest Stone Edge for Tyranitar. Though Ground types still won't mind Stone Edge it gives you better coverage against Salamence, and Zapdos. Though you will not hit Gyarados for 4x damage, you hit all the flying types for 2x Damage + STAB. Which is wonderful as this clears the way for things like Scarf Zapdos, that will revenge kill a +1 Gyarados.

Bounce is a pretty mediocre set I'll have to say. It will allow a person to bring in his counter to beat Gyarados, which is completely plausable. Then, either Burn, Paralize or maybe even OHKO you. I would suggest putting Earthquake over Bounce for superior type coverage later on in the game, where it counts. hitting tings like (non scarfed) Heatrans, weaker Metagrosses and things of that nature. I would also suggest Life Orb over Leftovers as Gyarados since (I'm suggesting any way) of making Gyarados your late game sweeper once everything that gives him trouble is out of the way. I would suggest 252 252 6 EV spread, but the occasional bulk on a pokemon isn't a bad thing.

You lack something to take on Dragons / Gyarados. So I'd like to say Charge Beam over Ice Beam as well. Charge Beam can help deal with Gyarados who runs amock on your team, Salamence also gives you quite a bit of trouble, so I would not suggest getting rid of Ice Beam for Psychic. This helps your team by taking out two of the most threatening pokemon in the OU Metagame, and giving your Gyarados the support he needs, getting rid of the Intimidators lowering his attack, effectivly making his sweep a lot less likely to happen.

Hidden Power [GROUND] on Magnezone so you can handle other Magnezones fairly easily. Scizor should be OHKO'd by the Specs Thunderbolt and that provides coverage for your team, getting rid of Bronzongs counter, Magnezone with Magnet Rise. Which will be very helpful to you in the end.

Hope I helped,
Empoleon

Thanks! I'm def. going to put Stone edge back on T-tar, after thinking about it. The HP Ground on Yanmega isn't a bad idea either. Ice could work on the dragons as well. I guess it depends on what I find I need more...

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Did you mean max speed on your Jolly T-Tar, as opposed to max HP? Because Jolly with no speed EVs is a huge waste.

However, so many things aim for 244 speed specifically to beat you that as much speed as you'd have really isn't worth it. If you think max Attack is overkill, and it often is, I'd invest the majority of your EVs into HP and Special Defense, so you can sit there and take hits almost all day long.

Hmmm. I like that idea. I'll play with the applet to see how to maximize def. most beneficially.

Alright, updated the first post. I bolded changes. Anything else that jumps out? I'm gunna test it and see how it works with the changes. Thanks guys.

your evs for tyranitar add up to 514. attack evs should be 174

EDIT: it appears you edited it

EDIT: sorry the HP evs should be 174. the evs for tyranitar should be 174 hp/ 252 attack/ 84 speed

the attack and hp evs should be switched so it should look like this. 174hp/ 252 attack/ 84 speed. the 84 speed evs should let you outspeed other tyranitars that run standard. the CB ones at least

252 seems like such a waste though. With CB, Adamant and 174 EVs, i feel it should be fine. Testing will tell

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yanmega has quite respectable base Def and can take quite a lot of priority attacks, so you should consider changing your spread around to reflect that. The spread commonly run on leading Yanmega is 104 Def / 252 SpA / 152 Spe. It allows it to hit 396 after a speed boost and outspeed base +speed base 130s, but more importantly, it allows it to survive a LO Lucario +2 Extremespeed, and makes LO Scizor's Bullet Punch a 3HKO on average. This can be quite important as many offensive teams' only answer to Yanmega is priority.

You might want to bump up Bronzong's SpD to 140 EVs, as these will guarantee it survives 2 ScarfTran Fire Blasts with Leftovers. These are best taken from Atk, as even with your investment you cannot OHKO Heatran or Infernape with Earthquake.

I would take the advice given to you and move the HP EVs into Atk, giving it a spread of 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe. Especially since you are running Aqua Tail, the extra Atk EVs can make all the difference between a KO and not:

CB 252 Atk Aqua Tail vs 252/252 Hippowdon: 51.0 - 60% (75% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers)
CB 176 Atk Aqua Tail vs 252/252 Hippowdon: 48.1 - 56.7% (25% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers)

However, if you choose to stick with Earthquake over Aqua Tail, then running max Atk is not as much of a requirement. Things like your Stone Edge will still OHKO a 32/0 Scizor with SR even if your run only 176 Atk.

Magnezone cannot reliably revenge kill Scizor with that spread, as an Adamant 224 Spe Scizor (the most common) will outrun you and take you out with Superpower. You are also reducing the power of your Explosion with a -Atk nature, whereas you should instead try to give it as much power as you possibly can because of Magnezone's mediocre Atk stat. I suggest a spread change to Naive with 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe, as this will guarantee you outspeed max speed Adamant Scizor. A Naive Specs Thunderbolt is still an OHKO on Scizor with SR, and so you will not miss the power drop from Modest. As a bonus, with this spread your Explosion is ~20% stronger, and you are guaranteed to outspeed all but Trick Scarf Metagross (who tend to run max speed with Jolly).

Anyway, good luck with the team.

Very nice suggestions. I'm liking everything you said about Magnezone a lot.

With Bronzong, I'm using Heatproof, so I really don't fear Heatran's Fire Blasts, because they are commonly choiced, so I lock them in on an attack they cant hurt me with and get a free turn. Then they switch to an EQer, and I can switch to Cresselia commonly.

I need to test out the set on T-tar to see the best EV spread for me. The fact that there's a 50% better chance to 2HKO a Hippowdon is very appealing. Also, the Def on Yanmega seems good as well. I'll probably add those, and test them out. I have a feeling I'll be using that though.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Yanmega is going to be running HP Ground, it should be able to beat Scarf Heatran after one Speed Boost, meaning 280 speed minimum. Could save you in a pinch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)