A New Era for Disney? Epic Mickey Discussion - Game Informer Cover Unveiled!

From the source forks posted.

Epic Mickey is a tale about the 'forgotten' Disney stars: the rides, the characters, the lesser-known cartoons. When nobody any longer cares, they are cast into a dark void; a forgotten world of broken machines and bitter personalities - a bit like Sid's bedroom in Toy Story, but without the friendly furnishings.

This forgotten world is run by Oswald the Rabbit. He was Disney's first creation, made long before Mickey Mouse, and his jealousy of the newcomer has fermented for years. Now, finally, Oswald is ready for revenge.

He unleashes The Phantom Blot to wipe out Mickey and his cartoon world. The Blot pollutes the Disney universe with sticky black ink that makes colours run and fade (as seen on the Game Informer cover), so it's up to Mickey to restore peace and order. And this is where his tools come in.

Mickey has to draw and scribble his way through levels, mending broken bridges by applying the right colour paint or peering through walls after applying thinner. He can even clear rubble from his path by erasing parts of the world.
Another bit of information.

Game Informer said:
Disney Epic Mickey is indeed a Wii Exclusive. If there is another version in the works out there for another system, we certainly aren't aware of it.
Also note the Game Informer Site will be updating tomorrow (Monday) with new information about the game!

Hints dropped by GI

Game Informer said:
The Mad Doctor is one of many Disney characters largely lost to time. Appearing in this 1933 cartoon short, He's had little importance in Disney Mythology. However, after a long hiatus, we may be seeing more of him in the coming years.
Source

Game Informer said:
Many of Mickey's early adventures act as an inspiration for Junction Point's Epic Mickey game. Two of the more directly referenced projects include the two cartoon shorts Thru the Mirror (1936) and Clock Cleaners (1937).
Source

Game Informer said:
The 21st century has seen little of Disney’s once-ubiquitous mouse, which is on the threshold of changing in some dramatic ways. Warren Spector has taken the reins of the classic character, and is targeting a new game for release on the most widely owned system of this hardware generation: the Wii. Disney Epic Mickey reveals a major new direction for the character, but one that is rooted in his earliest birth and history. “The irony is I think the best way to rejuvenate or revitalize the character, whether in a game or in a movie or anywhere else, is to return him to his roots,” Spector says. “Mickey used to be a character who about whom kids could say, ‘He’s acting out for me,’ and I think he could do that again.” For the full story on the new game, read this month’s issue of Game Informer, and then check back here after throughout the month for expanded articles, videos, interviews, and details on what might be the biggest and most ambitious third-party Wii game yet created.

Hey!!! Great spot!

Another thing from the articles on GI, is that, if you notice, Mickey's face has never been revealed. Apparently, they are going to be going with a more retro-look to Mickey's face compared to the modernized look. So, I'm expecting a slimer face that Mickey had years ago, since the game's director has mentioned he preferred the old, mischievous Mickey Mouse.

So the world we've seen is the 'dark void' where lost characters are sent to when forgotten? Or has the Blot just really screwed Mickey's world?

This game looks so amazing.

Apparently, Oswald is angry at being forgotten in time while Mickey's fame hasn't diminished yet. So, Oswald sends out the Blot to wreak havoc on the world as an act of revenge. That's all we know about the story thus far. However, the game play will have Mickey using paint to restore lost parts of the world, like bridges that might have been destroyed. Then, you can also use Pain Thiner to reveal things that might have been hidden by the Blot, by revealing something that was covered up. Pretty interesting stuff ^^

EDIT: Update today.

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2009/10/12/sketching-mickey-the-time-lapse-video.aspx

A time lapse of an artist drawing Mickey and an enemy. Also, has some of the music, which is INCREDIBLE in my opinion.

(is it just me, or does the head look like Hades?)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Go Nintendo:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=100611
As Game Informer has been hyping for weeks now, their latest issue features a huge spread on Epic Mickey. You get your first look at in-game screens and brand-new art, as well as Mickey's redesign, and a host of other characters. Trust me, you're going to want to run out and pick up this issue for yourself, just to get a look at all the visuals!
Obviously, I cannot show you the screens or art on here, but thanks to Hero of Legend, I can give you the first details!
- Mickey's appearance is much, much closer to his original debut style
- Disney was the one to approach Spector
- Spector originally was against the idea of creating a Mickey game, because he said that he didn't do kids games
- Spector changed his mind when Disney said that they were looking for someone to 'reinvigorate' Mickey
- Disney had to get back the rights to Oswald before he could be used in this game
- the sorcerer Yensid creates a pen-and-paper world for his forgotten creations, which is where Oswald lives
- this world is similar to Walt Disney World
- Mickey enters this world through a magic mirror, and accidentally spills paint and paint thinner on the drawing of this world. Mickey escapes before Yensid finds out.
- The spill that Mickey caused ends up turning the drawing into a twisted version of what was originally created.
- the Phantom Blot ends up taking over this world
- many years later, after Mickey becomes successful, he re-enters the mirror and sees what has happened to the world. The Phantom Blot drags Mickey into the world, which is where your adventure begins
- use the Wiimote to paint in buildings, platforms and more
- swipe away enemies with the Wiimote when using paint thinner
- create/destroy the world as you go along
- Junction Point took hundreds of photos while at Disney World in order to capture the essence of the park, and translate ideas into the game
- play the game as you like, either destroying everything in sight, or taking the hero's route. It's completely up to you, and you can mix-and-match play styles
- Gremlin Village is reminiscent of 'It's a Small World'
- Mickey's appearance and stance will change based on the way you play the game
- trade some items for health
- Pete returns, and at one point attacks you with a huge zepplin
- Donald Duck animatronic pieces are scattered throughout one portion of the game. Collect them to put him back together.
- Spector wants this game to scare kids, in some ways
- the game will also have funny parts
- Spector calls the game world's visuals 'the bastard child of Tim Burton and Disney'
- elements of platforming, exploration and role-playing
- go into the inner-workings of some levels and rides
- visit the gears and mechanics underneath the 'It's a Small World' ride, complete with an eerie re-imagining of the music
- enter movie screens to move from in-game island to island
- movie screen transitions put you into a 2d world, where you'll revisit some of Mickey's old cartoons
- find sketches, and bring them to life with your paintbrush
- sketches can be activated to give you new powers (clock sketch to slow time, TV sketch to distract enemies, and more)
- collect 'E-Tickets' to enter rides, and use as a form of currency to buy power-ups
- Jim Dooley 'Pushing Daises' is doing the soundtrack
Warren Spector on Mickey
"I want him to be a hero...and I want to remind him that it's okay to behave badly."
Warren on Oswald
"All he really wants is to be loved by Walt Disney. In the end, the Blot won the war and pushed Oswald into hiding and exile."
Warren on the Gremlins
"The Gremlins are the only forces of good in the world that can continue to fight against the Blot.
Warren on the Bunny Kids
"These are going to be the breakout stars of the game. Mark my words."
Warren on the Buddies (Donald, Goofy, ect.)
"Oswald is trying to recreate Mickey's life, so he has the Mad Doctor build these animatronic versions of his buddies."
Warren on the Mad Doctor
"He's from an early 30's cartoon that is pretty swell."

Warren on the Phantom Blot

"The Phantom Blot has been a consistent villain since 1939. He's just been lame."
Warren on the Blotlings
"They're the popcorn unit. You need something that the player can just swat away. They're supposed to be funny, silly and stupid."
Warren on the Beetleworx
"In order to deal with these guys, you have to erase their painted bits to get to the vulnerable inert spots underneath."

Nice, again, Firestorm. Some really awesome information in there. Namely:

- Disney was the one to approach Spector
- Gremlin Village is reminiscent of 'It's a Small World'
- Mickey's appearance and stance will change based on the way you play the game

Warren on the Buddies (Donald, Goofy, ect.)
"Oswald is trying to recreate Mickey's life, so he has the Mad Doctor build these animatronic versions of his buddies."

I totally called:
- visit the gears and mechanics underneath the 'It's a Small World' ride, complete with an eerie re-imagining of the music

Make sure to check this link which Berserker posted.

NEW VIDEO!

The first scene of Oswald in front of the Stain Glass window of himself: You can see a Stain Glass window of Maleficent! Perhaps more Disney villains to be included?!

Wow. This game is looking amazing each and every update.

- the sorcerer Yensid creates a pen-and-paper world for his forgotten creations, which is where Oswald lives
- this world is similar to Walt Disney World
- Mickey enters this world through a magic mirror, and accidentally spills paint and paint thinner on the drawing of this world. Mickey escapes before Yensid finds out.
- The spill that Mickey caused ends up turning the drawing into a twisted version of what was originally created.
- the Phantom Blot ends up taking over this world
- many years later, after Mickey becomes successful, he re-enters the mirror and sees what has happened to the world. The Phantom Blot drags Mickey into the world, which is where your adventure begins
So basically, the world that we've been seeing is this twisted world of the forgotten characters, that Mickey screwed up by accident? And then Phantom Blot takes? Sounds pretty cool.

I love the enemy design (the 'beetleworx'), how twisted and abstract they've made them and added parts of Disney characters. Awesomeawesomeawesome.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, it's hard to believe how bad this game looks after all that amazing concept art leaked at the beginning =(

Well, apparently GI removed the claim that they had previously remarked on that Epic Mickey will be a Wii Exclusive. They had previously said it would be exclusive to the Wii, but they later removed that fact from the article, hinting that Warren might be planning to release something on the 360 or PS3...

Also interesting, Warren is saying that he “[doesn't] do anything that isn’t extensible." Aka, he possibly has plans to make the game into a sequel or trilogy. He also said, “And I will certainly feel like that I have not done my job if we can’t make other games in this world with these characters. In my head, I’ve got two more planned."

So, hopefully if the game does well on the Wii, a Ps3 and 360 version will come out an put justice to those INCREDIBLE screen shots we saw of their concept art.

WHOOPS: Just found a new article stating that GI took the information about the Wii Exclusive out because they wanted to save that tid-bit for their magazine article. Assholes.

News from a live feed:
"What makes Mickey cool to you?" He's describing how Mickey had a cool fedora with Bermuda shorts in the 60s and then how he has huge shoulders in the 80s. But for the game, it's about making Mickey cool to you
Concerning Oswald said:
"How much help do you give Oswald?"
Story said:
10:42
Now he's touching upon the story a bit
10:42
Mickey is ripped from his comfortable home, kidnapped, and dropped off into the Cartoon Wasteland
10:43
he starts off by figuring out where he is and his new abilities
and re-discovering Oswald and other people he knew back in the 30s, but not any more
the Wasteland is crappy because of him, so his goals are to now make the Wasteland better, while also trying to get out
That's it, for now.

Firestorm

GI removed the Wii exclusive a while back, but Spector has said it's Wii exclusive. They were originally thinking of 360/PS3 but went with Wii. I'd love it on a more powerful platform, but I doubt it will happen.

Well, looks like this game isn't as awful looking as we had thought. IGN has named it the #1 Wii game of E3, nominated for Best Overall Game of E3 and won #1 Platforming game of E3.

Check it out.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
TBH from what I saw from the E3 feed, it isn't anywhere as "dark" as the original art suggested, which makes me less likely to buy this game, especially with the other games Nintendo announced at E3. It's certainly a new direction from Disney, but I don't think it will do as well as people are hyping it.

I will agree. The concept art was a LOT more dark and incredible looking. The direction is good, the graphics aren't nearly as disappointing as I had thought, but I'm not sure if it's enough to get my money.

This game looks very good to me. It sounds like a very unique and interesting game, and the fact that Disney took their icon character into a world this dark is a very bold move. Still, I think this game will be very good, and Disney can definitely connect with people of all ages with this game. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this game.

i hope it's not only on the wii.

is it?
I think I remember them saying it was Wii exclusive at E3 but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway this game looks really cool, and seeing the cutscenes at E3 they looked really stylized and fun to watch, which is a huge plus for me. I'm just curious as to what combat would be like, and what kind of enemies we would be facing in the first place, or did they show that during E3? I missed a lot of that segment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)