A Guide to Identifying Baltimore-Based Birds Using Only Their Farts

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Or as I like to call it, a "Toot-Oriole Tutorial"!

The first question: "do birds fart?" ha long been debated by ornithologists around the world. Birds eat grains and plants and have similar digestive systems to that of mammals, which is a huge clue. when I each a lot of kale and spinach salads and flax seeds and all, about 5 hours later I get really gassy. For birds, this might also be the case, but then again, what really *is* a fart?

A "fart", while not widely accepted in the medical community because they prefer the terms "anal gas expulsion" or "anal flatulence" to describe the event, is an event where gas is expelled from the anus in a short period of time. Farts might also make a noise, hence the colloquial term "toot".

Birds can "toot" from their mouths when seeking a mate (though this is not a fart and it is important to note: all farts are toots, not all toots are farts), but rarely have we experienced a true bird fart. In fact "only twice, has anyone in the scientific community ever come close to observing what might have been a bird fart." (birdspot.co.uk). But isn't it strange how bird farts are so rare? You'd think that given the anatomy birds would be farting a lot more common.

According to expert Tom Kavanaugh, pigeons fart:

But this then raises the question: what about Baltimore Orioles? do they fart? It's hard to say! We once thought a Baltimore Oriole farted, but it turns out that was just David Ortiz. What about smogoff? Do you have any tips or tricks to observe these rare events?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)