A Beginner's Uber RMT

Hi! This is my first Uber RMT ever, but not my first time playing ubers.

Team at a Glance

hooray for bulbapedia's inconsistency

The team is essentially Bulky Offense, with hazards and spinblock, all that jazz. I though of making this team when I looked at Specs Dialga - the pure power it brought to the table, especially with access to one of the strongest moves in the tier, Draco Meteor, as well as great typing and resistance to SR. After that I decided I'd need hazards, so I chose Deoxys-e as my lead, just because hey its Deoxys, it sets up Spikes, its awesome. I needed a spin blocker as well, so why not use the famed Giratina-o ? I used the mixed set mostly because it could easily dispatch of Forretress, but also because of Shadow Sneak, which would be essential in dealing with Lati@s, Mewtwo and the like. Next I needed revenge killer as well as a way to check Kyogre. I originally thought of Latias, but then I realised that it would'nt have enough Speed as I'd like, and I went with Scarf Palkia in the end, thanks to its ability to check Kyogre pretty well with Thunder, as well as being able to revenge kill various random threats with Spacial Rend. I also needed something to switch into Thunders, as well as set up the Sun mostly because I needed a way to fuck over rain teams which are always annoying as hell. I settled on a Double Dancing version of Groudon, mostly because an early stint with RP Don weakens many Pokemon capable of stopping Dialga's crit streak. SD is also a fun way to catch Wobbuffet trying to encore my EQ after a kill. Finally I needed something to resist Special Dragon type attacks, and I decided on Jirachi thanks to 100 / 100 defenses, plus being able to hax with Iron Head etc.

And then I had a chat with Fireburn over IRC. He suggested quite a few things. Firstly, it came to our minds that the team was more centered around RP Groudon than it was about Dialga, and so I decided to shift the focus to Groudon. Now Groudon would need some sort of wall breaking buddy, and so I changed Dialga to a wallbreaking variant with Brick Break to deal with Blissey. Finally, Scarfjira was a bit redundant so that was changed to a more defensive version, which would not only help dealing with Outraging dragons, but also provide Wish support should Groudon or anyone else need it.

In Depth

Deoxys-e @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Signal Beam
- Taunt

Deoxys-e is a great lead in the current metagame, used nearly twice as much as any other lead according to latest stats. It's not too hard to see why either, since its blistering speed allows it to be taunted only by other Deoxys, and it can set up SR and Spikes with impunity against other leads, barring stuff like LeadQuaza and ScarfMin. SR and Spikes are appreciated by Specs Dialga and Double Dance Groudon. Taunt is to stop slower leads from setting up, as well as to say fuck you Ninjask. Signal Beam is a weird choice, but its capable of 2HKOing opposing Deoxys like Shadow Ball, but it can also atleast hurt Darkrai. Mostly against opposing Deoxys, I just Signal Beam off the bat since I do not like risking the speed tie, and not too many people on the team mind SR + Spikes TOO much.

Deoxys has been doing fairly well atm, and most of the time even if I get taunted by opposing Deo Leads, Deoxys can come back in later and set up Spikes on something like Blissey. I have been thinking of replacing it with something like Scarf Shaymin though, as well as then changing Jirachi to Forretress for hazards, but I am undecided on that matter. Shaymin would also help stop any Groudon trying to set up on a weakened Draco Meteor from Dialga / Giratina.

---

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spd
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Wish

Jirachi used to be a Scarfed variant with Ice Punch / Iron Head / Trick / Uturn, but I found out it wasn't exactly doing its job properly. Fireburn suggested this more defenseive variant as it would give me a better Dragon-type attack sponge, as well as throw around some paralysis with Body Slam which could help Groudon set up. Iron Head + paralysis from Body Slam along with Serene Grace makes sure most of the time I'll get away without any damage. U-Turn is for scouting for potential counters, esp switchins after someone gets paralysed by Body Slam. Wish is just to keep Jirachi alive, while also giving my other Pokemon some form of recovery should they need it, for example if Groudon gets low on health due to LO etc etc. This Jirachi set also helps me take on Lugia better, as now I just paralyse it, making it a lot easier to deal with.

---

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Thunder
- Spacial Rend

Palkia here is my end-all, be-all revenge killer. Palkia sports great coverage with his STAB Spacial Rend and Surf, as well as having Fire Blast and Thunder to take advantage of the weather. Palkia is one of my only answers to Kyogre, as well as being a generally great check to nearly every threat I could face. Fire Blast is mostly used when under the sun, Thunder is for dealing with Kyogre and dealing major damage to Lugia while unedr the rain, Surf is basic STAB for lategame cleaning up and Spacial Rend is my main form of attack, with a great 100 Base Power coupled with a high crit rate, although the occasionaly 5% miss chance has fucked me up more than once before.

Palkia in general has been fulfilling his role as a revenge killer quite well, and is generally my go to guy and my check to the King of Ubers, Kyogre who can otherwise pose quite a significant threat to the team. I don't think I'll be replacing him anytime soon, but I have been thinking about having either Outrage or Aqua Tail on here somewhere to be able to catch Blissey on the switch in, although I suppose thats better off left to Lustrous Orb Palkia.

---

Giratina-o @ Platinum Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 Atk/198 Spd/64 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Sneak
- Outrage

Mixed Giratina is my answer to pesky Forretress which try to spin away my Spikes and SR that take me so long to set up. HP Fire takes care of the aforementioned Forretress, as well as hurting Scizor, Bronzong, Metagross, Jirachi and the like. Draco Meteor is standard, it does a shitload to anything that doesnt resist it, and HP Fire usually finishes off any steels coming in to absorb the hit. Shadow Sneak is so important for my team- it helps me deal with Lati@s and Mewtwo once they have even a little bit of residual damage on them, and also helps take out weakened SD / DD Rayquazas. I cannot express how important Shadow Sneak is to the team, even moreso by being my only priority move. Outrage is used to catch stuff like Blissey and Wobbuffet offguard, as well as generally denting stuff, leaving them open to a RP Don / Specs Dialga clean up.

Giratina is certainly an irreplaceable member, providing me with a spin blocker, a priority user as well as a great mixed attacker in general.

---

Groudon @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 112 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/140 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Double Dancing Groudon has always appealed to me since I started playing Ubers. While I don't have the necessary Dual Screen support required to get both dances in most of the time, I usually find that even a simple Rock Polish is usually more than enough to deal significant damage to the opponent. The EVs are straight from the analysis onsite. Earthquake is self explanatory STAB, whereas Stone Edge provides me with a nice complementary coverage move, together resisted by only Bronzong (and Claydol but he sucks anyways). Swords Dance is greta if I can get it in on something like Blissey. It's also especially hilarious when Wobbuffet switches in after a kill trying to Counter my Earthquake, only to have me SD up in its face. When I get both my dances up, the only thing holding me back is Life Orb and other residual damage such as a possible Toxic and priority users such as Rayquaza and Scizor, even though their attacks usually just bounce off Groudon's massive bulk when unboosted.

However, I decided that if I wanted a clean sweep with Groudon, floating dragon types like Giratina and Lati@s would be a problem. Dragon Claw takes care of those easily, and aids me in my sweep much more than hoping to get a random Swords Dance off.

I have been debating switching over to the support set just because spreading Paralysis greatly helps Dialga to not be revenge killed, especially if I end up paralysing their Scarfer. But RP Groudon recently saved my ass, so I'm not completely sold on the support set.

---

Dialga @ Expert Belt
EVs: 116 Atk/140 Spd/252 SAtk
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Brick Break
- Fire Blast
- Thunder

So after the crushing revelation that Dialga was not the best focus for the team, I decided that converting to a wallbreaker variant would benefit Groudon more. Draco Meteor still hits like a fucking huge meteor from the depths of the universe itself, whereas Thunder and Fire Blast are there to take advantage of Rain and Sun respectively. Thunder also lets Dialga act as a light check to Kyogre, who may pose problems to Groudon. Brick Break comfortably 2HKOs Blissey, who can otherwise give troubles to mons like Palkia.

I decided to go with the spread which gives more power over speed because I already have a speedy mixed attacker in Giratina-o, and the attack is required to 2HKO most Bliss. Expert Belt is a great item to bluff a choice item, especially when Groudon try and set up on a Thunder only to get blasted by an uber strong Draco Meteor. While Dialga may have lost some power over the switch, it is still powerful enough to act as an excellent wallbreaker, and his help is much appreciated by Groudon.

---

So there's my team, I'll shortly be putting up a threat list, but for now the following are major assholes to the team-

Latios- This thing is such a bitch to me, Shadow Sneak fails to do more than 70%ish, and it has the capacity to sweep my entire team. I'm not too sure what to do about this though =/

Shaymin lead- fucking air slash flinch etc

Lugia- Only way to deal with it is Body Slam -> Flinch hax or perhaps try adn Thudner it to death with Dialga or someone. Paralysing it is necessary though. CM variants also need to be paralysed, but atleast I can try and do a number to it with Giratina's Outrage.

Darkrai- More of an annoyance with Dark Void and the like, but I'd like a better way of dealing with it than Jirachi's UTurn.

Thanks for reading, and please don't hold back
on the criticism!

Ima bit curious why you elected to run thunder on diagla with groudon... thunder will only have 50% accuracy in sun. If you send out dialga first it's no biggy, but since its enternal sun is forever... you might be up the creek on that one.

Ima bit curious why you elected to run thunder on diagla with groudon... thunder will only have 50% accuracy in sun. If you send out dialga first it's no biggy, but since its enternal sun is forever... you might be up the creek on that one.
He uses Thunder to take advantage of Rain when it's up. When sun is up, he's obviously not going to use Thunder.

I would change the EVs on Jirachi, give it just enough to outrun Standard Manaphy (180 Spe EVs) and put the rest in Special Defense, Ubers is a very specially based metagame so it would do well to make sure they don't run over you.

Deoxys-S really wants ExtremeSpeed instead of Signal Beam, being able to hit strong priority users like Rayquazza and Deoxys-A will really help out.

Those are the only real changes I can see right now, but I'm fairly new to Ubers myself.

Anyway, good luck. :toast:

Well, I did debate running ESpeed, but I found out that it lacks the ability to KO other Deoxys fast enough if they Taunt me, whereas with Signal Beam I just 2HKO outright and dont care about Taunt. This is partially because firstly I don't want one speed tie earlygame to decide who gets momentum, and also because yea it 2HKOes opposing deoxys-e. Against Deoxys-a, even though I havent faced one yet I just go for the SR and deal with it from there, either switch out of Extremespeed or Spike up on the Pursuit.

Woops, typo on Jirachi I meant it to be 216 SpD (I did that change manually, not from export etc).

Anyways I had a talk with Jibaku a while back, and he has suggested the following changes to my team, which I will be testing-

Trick Scarf Deoxys > Deoxys lead.

Toxic > Body Slam on Jirachi, so that I can take on Lugia a bit better...

Changing Groudon to the support set w/ SR and possibly TWave or just Roar.

LO Hasty Dialga > Mild EBelt Dialga.

I think you should run toxic over iron head on jirachi because without any attack investment, toxic will be doing more damage in the long run, not to mention how many pokemon in ubers resist it anyway.

Also, try running SR on dialga (probbaly over thunder so forry can't set up on you) so you can use paradance groudon to keep the support style, but retain sweeping power.

Hope this helped, and GL

-gigg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)