2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the start of this season I said Kyle Walker should be nowhere near starting for England, mainly because he relies on his pace too much to recover from his mistakes.
I take it back now, if he's fit I'd start him over Johnson, all Johnson does is make mistakes and then moans on Twitter! The number of times he's been caught out today is embarrassing. God forbid we see him coming up against Ronaldo etc etc
don't worry bro, we've already got this guy signed up

but seriously, even at 43 years of age, he can't be any worse than glen johnson

I am the only one here that watches Serie A?

The myth called Javier Zanetti played his final game and was still running past people like in his 20s and this is after suffering an Achilles tendon injury last season. Unbelievable player.

The atmosphere for that game was as good as it has been at the San Siro for a long time...and the game was entertaining with kovacic threading all kinds of amazing through balls for the 1st and 3rd goals and then just skipping past every challenge like modric.
If Inter have any ambition to get back into the top of italian football then they will have to keep a hold of him and build their midfield around him.

Roma have started their transfer season well by getting Pjanic to extend his contract to 2018.
They really should of beaten Juventus today but never got that bloody ball into the net.

Yeah, I didn't realize how shit Johnson was until the last few matches of this season when I was really paying attention to liverpool, he's a damn mess.

For some reason I really thought west ham was going to put up a bigger fight than they did. Seems City can always just back teams into their own 18 at home whenever they want.

Congrats City

Over in Spain nobody seemingly wants the title, Madrid loses and both Barca and Atletico draw. Barca vs Atletico next week will decide the title.

Bloody hell my heart is racing after that Atletico game.

94th minute Adrian hits the ball...curling into the top corner...Atletico fans on the edge of their seats...arms in the air thinking it could be the goal that wins them the title...then caballero pulls out an amazing save...Turan on his knees.

Atletico really should have won today but they are good enough to get a result against Barca.

Chelsea have to make Courtois the #1 keeper next season.

I am the only one here that watches Serie A?

The myth called Javier Zanetti played his final game and was still running past people like in his 20s and this is after suffering an Achilles tendon injury last season. Unbelievable player.
dead league
but zanetti is a living legend. what a player he is and was.

As the season draws to a close this Red, industrial, historic team from the North West can only dwell on a season in which they missed out on the Champions League.

At least they can take solace in seeing their Red, industrial, historic, North-Western rivals lose the title to Manchester City when it seemed wrapped up.

"We still have our history!" they cry, "Next year will be ours!"

Liverpool 2011-2012 / Manchester United 2013-2014

Last edited:
Apparently Hodgson is dropping Cole for Shaw. Bad decision imo, Cole has been class since his return.

Edit: he confirmed it on twitter that he's been left out. :(

Last edited:
It seems that Hodgson is getting caught up in the shaw hype.
The potential is there but I mean he is the 4th best english lb for me behind Cole, Baines and gibbs.
Cole has retired.

I hope Chelsea offer both terry and Cole new contracts but on lower wages.
If lampard really wants to continue to play then a move to the mls could be on the cards and then come back to Chelsea went he retires from football.

Fun fact: Michael Emanelo was responsible for bringing Torres to the Bridge, not Ancelotti.
Abramovic was the one that wanted Shevchenko and Torres, not the managers themselves. He should have no say on what striker we buy lol

Makes me sad when you realize we could of had Aguero instead of Torres

Last edited:
I love how people are referring to building for the future or giving experience to the younger players.
It's a fucking World cup.
Cole is a better defender than both Baines and Shaw and would of been great in that setup but I guess it says something about where England is at the moment.
Writing of a World cup for the benefit of having experience for Euro 16(which they won't win with hodgson managing them).

grr Milner, wouldn't mind if he didn't get shunted to the wings instead of pace.

and we need LB, why wold the next manager not want one of the best English talents? we are not Newcastle or City.

rather take Baines for the Penalties tbh.

Obviously the squad is a bit disappointing but predictable I guess. I can live with Shaw getting selected and I can just about understand Lampard and Milner, but I can't stand Smalling and to a lesser extent Welbeck and Jones too. Why is Shawcross being frozen out completely? It's like what happened with Richards under Capello.

Shawcross has been captain of Stoke since a very young age, and he's still young, he played under Pulis in a team famed for its mean defence and organisation. If anyone knows how to defend properly, spot errors and organise his team-mates it's him. OK he broke Ramsey's leg but I don't think he has been malicious in any challenge I have seen and his yellow card record is very good. Jones and Smalling are living on hype from 3 seasons ago. They haven't even played much for 2-3 seasons now, especially Smalling. If Cahill or Jagielka goes down who would you trust to come in and be the rock the defence now depends on? Captain of Stoke or 5th choice benchwarmer at Man U? It's a joke, I wouldn't take Smalling, Welbeck or Jones, they have to prove their worth at club level first instead of living off their 'potential'.

Following on from that, I agree completely with Modestgarchomp. National teams should be selected based on who's the best now, it's not a summer workshop for kids to get experience. They can do that with their clubs and when they've proven they're consistently the best they should be picked to represent the best from their country. I would have taken Cole, he's not been any worse than a year ago and Shaw has not set the world on fire either. Plus Cole's injury means he's fully rested now and conveniently had a few games experience at the end of the season, basically the perfect preparation whereas Shaw has played every game at a young age. We all know what that does to a young player's form. All in all, I don't understand how national team managers could be so bad.

On the bright side I'm really looking forward to seeing Oxlade-Chamberlain and Sterling, two of the most exciting players in the PL imo and both fast and loves to take on defenders cos they know they're good enough to beat them. Barkley is another one, whether they start or come from the bench they will make an impact and you need these players. I'm happy for Henderson, he got a lot of stick back in the day, especially from me, so I'm happy to see him keep improving and prove his doubters wrong. Lastly I think Wilshere will make a big impact, again he's fresh from a minor injury lay off and he has 3 or 4 games to get up to his peak for the tournament. He is a proper heavyweight star if he manages to show up and I'm optimistic he will. People are starting to doubt him now after his injuries and he will want to remind them how much talent he has.

Gibbs has been injured on and off, I can understand it, I do rate Gibbs too he's been class when he gets a run in the team and he's solid defensively. He must've have bailed out Koscielny quite a few times covering from the left and he's a massive threat going forward. I feel he just needs that full season or two under his belt to really feel like he's the main man, I'm hoping that will be next season! But Wenger made it clear Gibbs was his first choice and he's the reason Clichy was allowed to be sold, cos Wenger could see Gibbs was already as good if not better than Clichy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)