2011 Music

I think we'll be getting a new Sum 41 album.

New Bayside album, if anyone besides me listens to them, lol.

gonna hold off and buy the james blake album i think, the guy is probably my favourite new artist of this past year and i want to support him :>

whats the direction of the new album? is there anything left of the post-dubstep kind of sound from cmyk or is it more like klavierwerke, with more warped piano and stuff?
I didnt listen to anything besides his full-length, but after checking out some songs out of both CMYK and Klavierwerke, I'd say that he took the ideas from Klavierwerke (pianos, etc.) and went into a more "art pop" direction. The future garage/dubsteb elements aren't as prominent here (while still present), instead he sings on nearly all of the song(with the help of a vocoder). The Feist cover "Limit to Your Love" is a great indication of how this sounds.

you could not be more wrong about that Braids album. It is tops even including stuff from last year. This is what Animal Collective should have been doing.
yea, I was probably too harsh on that, but I felt the exact opposite way. To me, it is like a watered-down and less interesting Animal Collective.

In 2011 I would like to see some of the smaller bands I listenend to become bigger.

Some bands I like I prefer to remain unknown so I can have some music snobbery over my friends.

As for 2011 albums, I'm still working my way through my 2009 list to really look at whats ahead (I only properly got into music this year, and I started making my way from the year 2000)

Still, I'm hoping for Acoda (Post Hardcore) to be able to get their first album sorted out, aswell as Kids Can't fly (Pop Punk) & Zebedy Rays (Indie Rock).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozOH6oiBJ-U - Acoda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFu2M95oDp8 - Kids can't fly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC74yiAXVao - Zebedy Rays

hip-hop heads, you need to listen to this right now:

joell ortiz - battle cry

RIGHT. NOW.

this track is fucking bananas. ive never heard of this guy until now, but his combination of doom-like punchlines and jigga style on top of the world boasting is fucking mind-blowing. the whole track is just one huge, single verse outpour of wordplay and boasts and crazy shit. it's awesome.

"im in my grind like a pair of inline skates/
get on tracks and go bananas like a primate/
baboon, chimpanzee, gorilla or a wild ape/
im king kong when he escape, im 'bout to skyscrape/
but the sky aint the limit/
i could teleport through my mind any minute/
take you to a place where the lions go "ribbit"/
all the frogs go "roar" and the fire is frigid"

"one day the whole globe will know I'm clark kent/
underneath the shades on a project park bench/
superman when I grip the mic/
the only way I'm slowin down is if I blow a pound of kryptonite/
from now on i'm a bully i'ma pick the fight/
let them pick you up off the ground when i check ya bite/
you'll become a little memory, gigabyte/
me and these beats got married, i'm mr right"

edit: duuude he did a cover of devil in a new dress

Stoo, you never heard of Joell until now!?!?!?! He's been ripping it up for a couple of years now! You have to check out his group Slaughterhouse then, every emcee in it is a mic ripper (well, except joe budden, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad). As good as Joell is he ain't even the best in the group. Crooked I, another member of Slaughterhouse, is an absolute mic monster, I'll pm you some of my favorite tracks by him if you want.

EDIT: Here's a few of my favorite slaughterhouse tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EN0R64rk5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPDxFpfOeEI

is there one album/mixtape from joell/slaughterhouse i should check out above the others?
Well, slaughterhouse has only one album, so i recommend that. Of joell's solo work, all i've heard was his The Brick: Bodega Chronicles album and his Covers the Classics mixtape, both of which were good. If you like Crooked I, his hip hop weekly series was amazing, and needs to be downloaded.

Yeah Joell Ortiz is pretty awesome but I felt that him and the rest of Slaughterhouse never put out an album/mixtape that really expressed how talented they were. Royce has The Bar Exam of course which is great though. Slaughterhouse has an EP coming in January apparently though so that might change my mind about them. Their album though was pretty good though but not up to their potential

The Strokes
Fleet Foxes
QotSA
Explosions in the Sky
Mogwai
Animal Collective
Decemberists
Bright Eyes
Anything involving Steve Wilson
Lupe Fiasco (sampling Modest Mouse in The Show Goes On? Sure, it's one of their lesser songs but HELL YES LUPE!)
Speaking of which, possibly a new Modest Mouse album? I think we're due one
Hopefully a new Russian Circles album
I wouldn't be surprised if Justice released a new album towards the end of the year.
And maybe Immortal Technique will finally release The Middle Passage, but I won't hold my breath.

Looks like it could be an excellent year! Though I've barely listened to anything from 2010 so I'm busy catching up on all of that right now.

Yeah Joell Ortiz is pretty awesome but I felt that him and the rest of Slaughterhouse never put out an album/mixtape that really expressed how talented they were. Royce has The Bar Exam of course which is great though. Slaughterhouse has an EP coming in January apparently though so that might change my mind about them. Their album though was pretty good though but not up to their potential
I second this, though royce has his bar exam series, joe budden has his mood muzik series, and crooked i has his hip hop weekly series. In fact, Joell is the only one who hasn't dropped a "woah thats good" album/mixtape so far (well, I never dug Budden that much, but apparently Mood Muzik 2 impresses a lot of people).

I agree that slaughterhouse hasn't lived up to their potential yet, even though i really did like their debut. Still excited for more new stuff by them.

same

updated my 2011 list

Superb Albums (4.5):

Amplifier: The Octopus*
James Blake: James Blake

Excellent Albums(4):

Destroyer: Kaputt
Stateless: Matilda*

Great Albums(3.5):

Abraham: An Eye on the Universe
The Cave Singers: No Witch
Coma Cinema: Blue Suicide
Deerhoof: Deerhoof vs. Evil*
The Do: Slippery Slope
Motörhead: The Wörld Is Yours

Good Albums(3):

Believe: World Is Round*
The Dark Water Hymnal: Collapse the Structure*
The Decemberists: The King Is Dead
Earthship: Exit Eden*
ujiya & Miyagi: Ventriloquizzing
Glassjaw: Our Color Green*
Alexander Hacke & Danielle de Picciotto: Hitman's Heel*
Hammock: Longest Year (EP)
L'altra: Telepathic*
Loch Lomond: Little Me Will Start a Storm*
Oh No Oh My: People Problems
Over the Rhine: The Long Surrender
Smith Westerns: Dye It Blonde*
Tapes 'N Tapes: Outside*
The UV Race: Homo*
Wire: Red Barked Tree*

Average Albums(2.5):

Asobi Seksu: Fluorescence
Company Car: Stop Hitting Yourself*
Drive-By Truckers: Go-Go Boots*
The Go! Team: Rolling Blackouts
Isolée: Well Spent Youth*
The Luyas: Too Beautiful to Work
Minks: By the Hedge
Elliott Murphy: Elliott Murphy*
Tuck From Hell: Thrashing*
Abigail Washburn: City of Refuge
The Wood Brothers: Smoke Ring Halo*
Young Prisms: Friends For Now

Poor Albums (2):

36: Memories in Widescreen*
Robin Beck: The Great Escape*
Monster Rally: Coral*
Mr. Big: What If...*
Sic Alps: Napa Asylum*
Ursula: Hasta que la soledad nos separe*

Very Poor Albums (1.5):

Braids: Native Speaker

listened to alot of crap to be honest, but new Amplifier, Stateless (and Deerhoof) were worth it, I guess

I just noticed how big this one already is

i'm taking a break from checking out leaks for a few months.

got about 300-400 albums to get through from past years first.

Decided to make an updated list of what I'm looking forward to, since I looked a bit harder into what's going to be released:

Alestorm
Amon Amarth
Candlemass
Asphyx
Autopsy
Converge
Cynic
Destroyer 666
Control Denied
The Faceless
Kreator
Obituary
Vader
Wintersun (probably won't happen)
Testament
Vektor

All of these have a decent level of interest in them from me.

new Cake leaked last night, just in time for me to have it included among the albums that closed out everybody's year at a New Year's party.
It's really different from all of the other albums (though I suppose no two are quite alike) but this one is full of variety, and is probably one of my favorite Cake albums. Hoping the rest of the new year continues with releases like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)