2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Still, Spain took a 2-0 lead in the first half, and they didn't look like they were about to give that away, whether they were playing against 10 or 11 players.
Actually Italy were playing well, Casillas had to do work to keep the 0 for Spain during the whole first half. Italy also lost their best defender, who is usually very fast, but due to his recent injuries he slowed down and couldnt catch up to Fabregas on the first goal (a non-injury Chiellini easily outruns and outmuscles fab).

If everything had kept going like that it woulda been very likely to see an Italy goal, but yeah tough luck for Italy and great job by Spain capitalizing on them.

I feel like modric and pirlo were in similar positions. So much vision and talent, but no one else on the team can really execute

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
The current Spain team has fantastic players that co-ordinate well on the pitch.Easily the best team on earth as of now.Can't say I'm surprised at the result as I predicted them to succesfully defend it right from the start.Lmao at Torres winning the Golden Boot and Balotelli storming off in anger as the Spaniards celebrated.

I'd prefer winning he euros without playing than winning league cup on penalties vs Cardiff too.
I wouldn't. Pepe already won the euros in 2008 anyway.

The interesting thing about the match is that Italy were able to get good amounts of possession before going to 10 men. IIRC, at one point they had 51 % possession which is pretty good considering their opponents.

Official UEFA Best Euro 2012 Squad: Buffon,Casillas,Neuer,Pique Coentrao,Lahm,Pepe,Ramos,Alba , DeRossi,Gerrard,Xavi,Iniesta,Khedira ,Busquets, Ozil, Pirlo,Alonso, Balotelli, Fabregas, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic,Silva

fuck yeah

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
That was really not a final. It was basically something that should've been done and over with in the group stage. A 4-0 is not the most exciting match to watch in the finals. Albeit Spain played well.

Iniesta wins player of the tournament, I would have gone for Pirlo with Iniesta 2nd and Jordi Alba 3rd.

Wasn't that impressed with Ibra enough to be on the all star team, scored the best goal of the tournament but Gomez was better overall. Arbeloa over Lahm as well.

Official UEFA Best Euro 2012 Squad: Buffon,Casillas,Neuer,Pique Coentrao,Lahm,Pepe,Ramos,Alba , DeRossi,Gerrard,Xavi,Iniesta,Khedira ,Busquets, Ozil, Pirlo,Alonso, Balotelli, Fabregas, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic,Silva

fuck yeah
Where's Ashley Cole? I think he should be there instead of Coentrao, he was probably the best player for England during the tournament.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
seriously? ashley cole had a stinker of a tournament by his standards. combined with ashley young's shittiness we were basically offensively inept down the left flank. he was good defensively but Glen Johnson outshone him by a country mile.

Still, Spain took a 2-0 lead in the first half, and they didn't look like they were about to give that away, whether they were playing against 10 or 11 players.
Or 12 or 13. Or 14. Or...

yeah Glen had a pretty good tournament. I thought he could have done better when attacking compared to his usual standards but defensively he was solid and made numerous last ditch tackles and recoveries.

Joao moutinho deserved to be in the squad

Gylfi has almost definitely gone to spurs too! OH GOD I AM SO IN LOVE WITH SPURS THIS SEASON. AVB's cute little face and Gylfi's lovely football = awesome

as a spurs fan, and as somebody who lost most of my respect/belief in AVB at the way he spectactularly mishandled (the admittedly poisoned chalice of) chelsea, for some reason i'm really really excited about this. while i do think AVB did a truly awful job at chelsea and i do believe that, while chelsea was the absolute worst job for him to have taken, his problems there were largely down to his own mistakes and hubris - i still have belief that he is gonna do something special at spurs.

he clearly has a lot of talent as a manager, but i think he needs a very specific type of club/dressing room in order to be successful. at spurs, where just about nobody has won anything of note and theyve just come off the end of a season where they got no reward for playing arguably some of the best football in europe for a lot of the season - i kind of think AVB is just the sort of visionary this already talented squad need to rally the them up, get them in on his project, and get them to perform on the big stage. not only that but i feel like AVB knows his stock has fallen precipitously low after his chelsea debacle - i think he will be desperate to prove himself as the real deal and get back at his former employers (and new city rivals) whom i'm sure he will feel set him up for failure from the start (whether true or not)

i'm not an arsenal fan, but i feel bad about them. wenger does an interesting work of creating new stars, but they all seem to stab him on the back when they get famous, the last time that didn't happen was Henry iirc

I guess it's time to bring out the "He scores when he wants" chants for Podolski :p
Not if we're gonna try to force him into playing left wing. I'd say let him and Giroud fight for the starting spot up front, loser can go benchwarm for a bit.

Meanwhile, I'd say we sell RVP as fast as we can, and take the money to upgrade other parts of the squad. Don't really see a striker good enough out there that wouldn't leave us with enough cash to upgrade other areas. Weakening one area to strengthen the others, so to say.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Maybe theyll finally buy a good fullback.

Also technology has finally been accepted for goals. Awesome, we will see it in action in december.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)