20 years of Smogon

(RIP to my old account from 2009 that I can't get into because the email is dead)

It's honestly an experience going back and reading posts from like, 2004-2006 on here, and hell, even stuff from before 2010. Just such a wholly different kind of culture on the forums (and really the internet as a whole). Not one I would want to go back to considering the uhhh, gross shit that was just kinda allowed and accepted, but it's still interesting to look at

To think of all Internet forums out there that have collapsed under the weight of an ever-expanding social media atmosphere, Smogon has been one of the few left standing.

Soon my Smogon account will be getting its driver’s license, then it’s off to college. I’m so proud.
Yeah it's kinda wild, but I think like, Smogon being able to establish itself as THE place for learning about competitive 6v6 singles, the fact that the battle simulators for 6v6 singles primarily came from Smogon affiliated users, and Showdown being as big as it is whats given it such staying power compared to most other forums

The only 2 forums I know that have been around forever that is still around is this one and MKPC.
MKPC has lots of drama but still somehow survives.
Main reason why it has drama because most of the mods are teens or young adults
only one is not adult and it is the owner of the forum which has better stuff to do

I miss Warstories. What ever happened to those? I remember that one person who (in ~2007) would post Shoddy logs of their DP Trick Room team with the Porygon 2 named "Red Alert". I mean I get that Showdown logs are easy to paste but there was something magical about reading 5 paragraphs about a guy debating if he should predict the switch to Gengar or not.

ZippyDoo200

Banned deucer.
To think of all Internet forums out there that have collapsed under the weight of an ever-expanding social media atmosphere, Smogon has been one of the few left standing.

Soon my Smogon account will be getting its driver’s license, then it’s off to college. I’m so proud.
Not even true. Its funny cause you see people saying this on every forum. “We’re one of the last forums left!!!1”

The internet took in more people. There are still thousands of forums with lots of users. You just dont know about them

Not even true. Its funny cause you see people saying this on every forum. “We’re one of the last forums left!!!1”

The internet took in more people. There are still thousands of forums with lots of users. You just dont know about them
He's talking about the old ones that are still popular

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)