NOC 11p White Flag Thread

What’s another way you’d decide whether or not claiming scum is indicative of scumminess? Maybe you’d think about motivation. Last game we had that big last minute push to lynch jalmont, the motivation was to remove someone who had good reads from the game, right? So what’s the motivation for me with a town alignment to claim scum? What’s the motivation for me as scum?

It doesn't change your role pm outcome, but it doesn't change the fact that you are trolling as either alignment.

You have basically destroyed your end game equity nearly 6 pages in. No matter how you play the next 100 pages this bit is going to come up in end game and regardless of whether you are scum or not will likely become a critical factor.

What about more ways of deciding whether an action is scummy or not? Well, one way I think about mafia is that on the player level, you’re really trying to observe duress. Because you have one group of people who really have nothing to hide and are trying to solve a puzzle together, and another group who are lying. People don’t like lying. Nobody likes lying. Even people who are good at lying don’t like it.
So people do stupid shit when they lie. They kind of freak out sometimes (flailing), they deflect, because they know that they’re in the wrong
so maybe one way of thinking about the alignment indicativeness of claiming scum is to think about whether or not these actions are symptomatic of duress

These are all good ways of thinking about how a persons action matches to a persons alignment
A bad way of thinking about this problem is taking a super simple level 1 surface analysis of words. I’m scum. You think I’m telling you the truth? Everyone else will tell you that they’re town. Are they telling the truth?
of course not! It’s part of the game. Words are just signals, they don’t mean anything by themselves. I could just as easily tell you that I’m a camel. Will you believe that also?

that’s why I say you’re bad

it was a very scientific conclusion

I'm aware of the basics of how to read people.

As town you do this to get a read on somebody via their reaction. As scum you do it to say that you could do it and still win.

Either way the tradeoff of losing endgame equity and likely being lynched outweighs either reward, and makes this a troll play.

You're also assuming that I say everything that I think. I may say a much larger proportion of what I think than other people, but I don't say everything I think. That would just be unworkable.

why are we giving apricity the benefit of the doubt? he tripled down on his scum claim

as for his reason? how should anyone know?

could be scum puffed up trying to use a psychological maneuver aka town thinking that scum wouldn't reveal like that

if he's town he's only confusing other town and plays on mafia's side

my vote stays

Everything is a signal

I’m spending this game saying that I’m scum.

does that make me more likely to be scum? Yes? No? How would you decide? Maybe you’d go thru my old games and see whether I claim scum more often as scum or as town

if the former, then it’s scummy. If the latter, then it’s townie, right? That’s how meta works. You match the observed behavior against the players habits as different alignments
meta is for people that have experience with you

I'm not playing your game

you're BAMBOOZLING the rest of town in trying to get some sort of tension between you and Mew

it's like you're doing this for only a few peeps, to make them sweat or discover you

I take your WORD AT FACE VALUE, scum

Hi, just finished dinner.
U-Turn Out - I remember this man from a long time ago...I think he played a NOC or two and disappeared...no expectations from him but hope to see him do well. which i guess means posts. Hopefully he does that and doesn't sub out because afk =]
Yeah I played a couple of NOCs 3-4 years ago on this site. I think the only one where I really tried was Fire + Ice mafia though. Haven't played much else.
because you are either;

1. scum and being a jerk to your teammates
I don't get.

M2H wants to play "conservative" and tries to do so, but eventually seems set on alpacity being scum and jalmont being town. Seems slightly towny because if you claim to want to play like that as mafia I would assume you want to stay consistent with your playstyle yet he chooses to engage w/ alpacity (which seems genuine bc of personal/playstyle issues). (also, alpacity mentioned freaking out/deflecting as scum somewhere on this page, I disagree)

In the one game I remember with M2H scum, M2H and Former powerscummed.
what does this mean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)