Metagame Terastallization Tiering Discussion [ UPDATE POST #1293]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead by Daylight

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL. DO NOT PASS GO.
is a Contributor to Smogon
What do we think about a separate “Tera Ladder” akin to the No Scald Ladder in Gen 6?

That aside, showing Tera types at preview would be a good solution, were it not for the fact that you never know when they will Terastallize. Additionally, it would severely dampen the surprise of Terastallization as well, hurting those who want unrestricted or lightly restricted access to it. Right now, I’d say the best course is to flat-out ban Tera, and maybe revisit it later on once there is a solid metagame.

Also, I’d like to address the “Limit Tera to one ‘mon per team”. The issue with this is that most teams usually use one or two dedicated Tera abusers, meaning that in practice, something like this wouldn’t accomplish anything.

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
this sounds like the complaints people have had about z moves tbh
I’m glad you brought this up because absolutely yeah there are some similarities, but there are a quite a few key differences

1. Z-moves are single use, limiting their impact on the game. Terastilize lasts indefinitely, giving it a much, much larger impact on the game.
2. Z-moves are inherently offensive. Outside of the rare Icium Toxapex, Z-moves were used for the sole purpose of hitting hard. Terastilize is a lot more varied and unpredictable in its usage.
3. Z-moves had to be limited to one Pokémon. This further limits its overall impact on how the game is played.
4. Z-moves took over the item slot, denying the use of other items (think about this with stuff like Heavy-Duty Boots, Booster Energy, etc.) and thus had an opportunity cost AND was detectable via Knock Off.
5. Z-moves relied on the Pokémon having access to a particular coverage type to work. Terastilize does not.

All in all, Terastilization is so much more impactful than Z-moves that it’s pretty unhelpful to compare them.

It's technically correct that tera adds 108 new options for your opponent's typings, but pretending that's a real thing is dishonest: no wall is going to run Tera Ice, offensive mons are only running Tera Normal if they have Extreme Speed, Tera Fire is exclusively to cover specific counters and so isn't broadly useful, etc.

There are certainly types that you can splash wherever; Steel and Fairy have valuable resistances to common priority, for example. But once the meta settles down, tera typings will become much more predictable, as both the best types and the best mons to use it on become clearer. Unexpected types will be either lures or flatly suboptimal.

As for lure sets, we've had them forever. Surprise Hidden Powers, surprise Z moves, an unexpected resist berry, normally special attacking pokemon pulling out a surprise physical attacking set (or vice versa), or even just rare coverage to remove one specific threat. Terastallization lures are a new version of an old trick.

As to incomplete information, we have Gens 1-4, where no Team Preview meant you couldn't plan around their specific team composition *at all.* Yes, it's a very different game now - but the biggest difference is team building philosophy. Greater information allows more specific checks; if your primary way to deal with Heatran is a Glowking with Earthquake, you can know immediately whether he needs to be kept healthy. If you can't tell whether they have a Heatran, you'll need more than one solid check. This doesn't need to be defensive - making sure your revenge killer has ground coverage does the job - but it has to be there.

It's not just team preview that killed this style of team building, either - both power creep and the ever-increasing Pokedex made it harder to blanket check threats without playing stall. Snorlax used to be able to come in on most special attackers, but last gen he'd sunk to NU. Power creep is stronger than ever, but the breadth of options is cut way back, and that power creep can be used to revenge threats more effectively.

All this said, it's certainly possible that Terastalization ends up too unpredictable, or that is breaks too many mons and sends them to Ubers, and that it needs to go. For something that so deeply shakes up team building, however, we need to give it enough time to breath and should not be imposing restrictions this quickly. We've got this generation for two or three years, waiting two or three weeks before even considering action is not unreasonable.

Dead by Daylight

I'd personally go around the propositions in this order:

1. Showing Tera type at Team Preview:
This is, I'd say, the best way to ever implement a nerf on Tera. It wouldn't be a complex ban, but simply a Clause, which makes the process easier, and it's way more efficient at dealing with the Tera problem than the other methods, bare maybe the next one. For me, the idea of Tera-types being visible in Team Preview seems like the best thing to implement. We already have rules which imply that player would reset a match if double sleep was attained (Sleep Clause), and specific banlists which imply they agreed on a ruleset before the match (Ubers, BLs, etc). So clearly, implying that each individual would share the Tera-types of their Pokémon before a battle (during the team preview) doesn't seem that big of a stretch, just a gentleman rule like all the other Smogon clauses.

2. Banning Tera Blast:
It mainly limits the bullshit, but may not fix the real problem. Although I do think that Blast should always be suspected/banned before any action is taken on Tera itself. Deleting Blast could seem like the right call, as it only makes Tera sweeper with actually good coverage threatening, making it an ‘easy’ “we ban this Mon because he’s to good”, but the versatility and unpredictability aspects are still there for way too many Mon.

3. Limiting the amount of Pokémon on any given team that have access to possibly Terastallize during a battle:
Seems like the “least bad” idea of the remaining three. Way too hard to implement, and a complex ban is always a pain in the ass to justify and assert into a ruleset. If it’s done well, maybe it could be a great idea, but I doubt it. It sound a bit to confuse and gimmicky to be a solid solution.

4. Limiting Tera typing to previously existing STAB types:
This may actually be worse than banning it completely. People will keep complaining about dual typed changing their type and clearing games, and it removes a lot of depth to this mechanic, basically transforming it into a ‘Super Z-Move/Gem For The Rest Of The Game” thing in a lot of battle scenarios. This is definitely the worst solution in my opinion, and I’d almost prefer the mechanic to be banned than to see it fall like this.

5. Outright ban:
This is a last resort, a button which, in my opinion, shouldn't be pushed unless we're certain it's the only option we have left. I'd say the mechanic should not be banned, as it's not nowhere near Dynamax. This doesn't justify not banning Tera, but it's certainly important to consider that we do have other alternatives, which should imo be prioritized.

Those are of course just my thoughts, I can see arguments being made for each of those options, and there's no right or wrong in there.

EDIT : I just saw the 'limiting to one, and showing it at preview'. Best of both worlds.
Here’s the thing: everything except showing Tera at preview and/or banning it has major issues. Banning Tera Blast fixes the symptom, not the illness. Limiting it to STAB is, like, only a good course in Monotype. And the limiting just enables broken Tera abusers to be shown but uncounterable. Tera can mask or enhance so many aspects of what makes a Pokémon broken, and for that reason I say we ban it.

with the options being
  • Banning Terastallization
  • Showing the Tera type of each Pokemon in the each player's party at Team Preview
  • Limiting the amount of Pokemon on any given team that have access to possibly Terastallize during a battle
  • Limiting Pokemon to only using a Tera Type that matches their current STAB
  • Banning usage of the move Tera Blast
Tera is broken in my opinion and swayed many games where u cannot just predict what you are facing. your counterplay can just change from the snap of their fingers and your gameplan can just shift from "trying to counter that dragonite with dragapult" to "I need to beat it with my iron treads". That is just an example but it can get worse than that and you can just auto lose on the spot for the 50/50.

#1: banning tera outright

A ban outright means the mechanic is gone, poof and out of the game. I feel like its not like dynamax where its outright broken but its still something to consider and I would rather just wait a bit more to ban tera, esp after home releases.

#2 Showing the tera type on preview

It is prob the better option esp since u now know the counterplay to the mechanic, if they have a tera normal dragapult you can play around it with an opposing dragapult and instead draco meteor instead of shadow ball to counter it, antoher example is if roaring moon is tera steel, ur counterplay may be that mach punch brelooom since its not tera flying.

#3 limiting the amount of pokemon that can tera

this can help esp since u can single out mons... but that is still not going to be enough. it could be any member of the team that can do this and you are still playing an equally dangerous guessing game of "who is going to tera, when are they going to do it, what are they going to tera into"

#4 and #5

They just do not do enough in my opinion, #4 jsut changes the purpose of tera outright... dunno how i like it but I mean its a nerf alright and would prob just change the mechanic to much to be pretty much unrecognizable so dunno. #5 is like 5 users... that are probably not even the problem

#2 > #3 > #1 > #4+#5

I’m glad you brought this up because absolutely yeah there are some similarities, but there are a quite a few key differences

1. Z-moves are single use, limiting their impact on the game. Terastilize lasts indefinitely, giving it a much, much larger impact on the game.
2. Z-moves are inherently offensive. Outside of the rare Icium Toxapex, Z-moves were used for the sole purpose of hitting hard. Terastilize is a lot more varied and unpredictable in its usage.
3. Z-moves had to be limited to one Pokémon. This further limits its overall impact on how the game is played.
4. Z-moves took over the item slot, denying the use of other items (think about this with stuff like Heavy-Duty Boots, Booster Energy, etc.) and thus had an opportunity cost AND was detectable via Knock Off.
5. Z-moves relied on the Pokémon having access to a particular coverage type to work. Terastilize does not.

All in all, Terastilization is so much more impactful than Z-moves that it’s pretty unhelpful to compare them.
i'm not comparing z-moves to tera, i just said the complaints were similar, because, well, they are. it's not the same mechanic, no kidding. dragonite can get mach punched or sash/strudy close-combatted/body-pressed out of a game now because it wanted to tera normal for espeed, instead of just getting ice sharded like usual. there are still defensive implications to sweepers, here.

it's a fantastic new breaking/sweeping tool, and is unpredictable and volatile. i also love it for that, and hope it stays a little longer, though it's also hard for me to stay objective since i like it so much more than z/dmax.

I think tera typing should stay in the format. It creates a fun environment for those participating in the smogon format for OU and other tiers. If it does get removed, please create a tier that allows tera typing. I know it will divide the player base but it could be the best move forward. If not, show tera typing in showdown so that way it can stay. I hate for it to go and then we back to Gen. 8 once again.

If this were to be implemented on cartridge, it would probably just be a gentleman's agreement that each player reveals their tera types before the match. While it's technically not implemented in the actual game, neither is OHKO clause, which is resolved by a gentleman's agreement as well.
I might be late here, but we have way, WAY harder clauses to implement on cart than "telling each other what Tera you are using."

For instance, Sleep Mod and how Sleep Clause works on actual cart. On Smogon, clicking Spore on a Pokemon you think is about to wake up for instance is way less risky, because on cart, if your opponent switches to another sleep-prone Pokemon, it's an instant end to the match.

Things like that are way harder to implement in cart games than "tell each other what is used".

All this said, it's certainly possible that Terastalization ends up too unpredictable, or that is breaks too many mons and sends them to Ubers, and that it needs to go. For something that so deeply shakes up team building, however, we need to give it enough time to breath and should not be imposing restrictions this quickly. We've got this generation for two or three years, waiting two or three weeks before even considering action is not unreasonable.
My thoughts exactly. I think Tera is way too big of a shakeup in how the game is played on a fundamental level for tiering action this quickly. It's entirely possible that down the road it remains far too volatile, and action needs to be taken, a ban or otherwise, but with such an all-encompassing, game-changing mechanic it's not reasonable to be able to fully understand the ramifications and uses this quickly after release.

Personally, I think if something does happen, there needs to be some kind of format with Tera allowed as it is now. It's way too big of a mechanic to remove outright, and while restricting it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, I think Tera as it stands should be allowed in some form or another.

(Take this with a grain of salt, I'm far from the best player... or even particularly good, for that matter. Just my two cents as a low ladder player.)

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
As to incomplete information, we have Gens 1-4, where no Team Preview meant you couldn't plan around their specific team composition *at all.* Yes, it's a very different game now - but the biggest difference is team building philosophy. Greater information allows more specific checks; if your primary way to deal with Heatran is a Glowking with Earthquake, you can know immediately whether he needs to be kept healthy. If you can't tell whether they have a Heatran, you'll need more than one solid check. This doesn't need to be defensive - making sure your revenge killer has ground coverage does the job - but it has to be there.
I believe this doesnt accurately describe what Tera does. In gen1-4's true, we dont have Team Preview but we have like years of metagame experience that gives us a common sense on what to expect. If you load a RBY game you may expect at least 3 of Chansey, Tauros, Snorlax, Exeggutor and lets say Alakazam. If you load a GSC game you know a Snorlax and Cloyster will always be there. If you load an ADV game you may expect to find Skarm Bliss pretty often. A similar argument can be made for DPP. Even though you "cant" see your opponents team, you do know exactly what you are going to face most of time. The analysis of keeping Glowking alive so it may handle Heatran only happens because you know what you have and what they have. That is a gameplan you probably have made at the preview.

Meanwhile Tera is instant. You dont know when its coming, you dont know what it is, you dont know which Pokemon will use it, you dont even know if it ever will be used. (This is assuming that no suggested restrictions in OP is implemented for this scenario)

Dead by Daylight

I think tera typing should stay in the format. It creates a fun environment for those participating in the smogon format for OU and other tiers.
It is somewhat ironic that, while I know people who want to keep Tera are acting in the pursuit to ensure fun and happiness, it accomplishes the opposite and creates a meta akin to Gen 8 Pure Hackmons: dominated entirely by one (or a few) Pokémon. I’d like to compare this to another scene of domination over a meta, which is GSC Snorlax. It rules over the metagame, but it is a fair ruler. If you guess the wrong set, you don’t die; you merely lose a Pokémon. But with Terastallization, if you guess wrong, good luck trying to get back into the game. Also, once you use Snorlax, there is no surprise factor. Sure there are more than 20 sets, but some may be unviable. With Tera, you don’t know what they might Terastallize into. Another tertiary concern I have is that it also ups the ante for cheating; remember the Mazar scandal where he used hyper specific team comps since he knew what his opponent would bring? This simply makes it even harder to combat cheating: an innovative Tera type that just so happens to counter a whole team can be passed off as “being smart or lucky”.

I believe this doesnt accurately describe what Tera does. In gen1-4's true, we dont have Team Preview but we have like years of metagame experience that gives us a common sense on what to expect. If you load a RBY game you may expect at least 3 of Chansey, Tauros, Snorlax, Exeggutor and lets say Alakazam. If you load a GSC game you know a Snorlax and Cloyster will always be there. If you load an ADV game you may expect to find Skarm Bliss pretty often. A similar argument can be made for DPP. Even though you "cant" see your opponents team, you do know exactly what you are going to face most of time. The analysis of keeping Glowking alive so it may handle Heatran only happens because you know what you have and what they have. That is a gameplan you probably have made at the preview.

Meanwhile Tera is instant. You dont know when its coming, you dont know what it is, you dont know which Pokemon will use it, you dont even know if it ever will be used. (This is assuming that no suggested restrictions in OP is implemented for this scenario)
True, but I think that you're making my point for me. Experience made predicting the opponent's team more reasonable/accurate. Experience will, likewise, make Terastalization more predictable - it only seems totally random because it's new.

I think that showing the Tera type would be the ideal solution, since you'd know what each mon could do, and Terastalizing doesn't lead to very many 50/50s if you know the type they can become.

Overall, I'd say it would be best to try showing the Tera type, and maybe also select two or three that can terastalize beforehand, to keep the new mechanic in some way before resorting to an outright ban. Terastalizing is such a fun mechanic, it's just that with it being unknown and a complete mystery when it'll be used and who can use it to what ends, it ends up leading to an uncompetitive environment.

'Only mons WITH Tera Blast can Terastralize'
This solution doesn't seem viable to me. Along with feeling even more arbitrary than other options, one can imagine enforcing most other proposals through a handshake agreement on cart; how do you enforce this, however? If your opponent's Roaring Moon Teras and uses Dragon Dance, Crunch, and Earthquake, how do you know their fourth attack is Tera Blast? It'd be very easy to "cheat" this on cartridge and run a full 4 move options as long as you make sure to never click all four in the same game.

Sure, Sleep Clause can also be problematic for cartridge enforcement, but with how messy Sleep Clause has been, I think most players agree that it shouldn't be precedent for anything but the absolute most extreme cases.

(I also don't think this suggestion really addresses the problematic aspects of Tera at all; it's just a general nerf that lowers the overall power level, and when we have other proposals that are more targeted towards the actual issues, I'm not sure why we'd go with this generalist solution — but I digress.)

As fun as it could be, Terastalizing as a whole mechanics has no competitive aspect on the metagame. Terastalization give the opportunity to completely transform a pokemon, removing weeakness, giving new STAB, and this is totally unpredictable. In fact I'm surprised that tera is still available on OU.

Even with Dynamax we can guess which pokemon could use it while watching the enemy's team, but with Tera we can't and imo giving the possibility to see which Tera type a pokemon is in preview is uncompetitive too. Why? Because it give huge hints of pokemon's build.

Tera only to STAB type? For me that's has 0 sense.

Outright ban is the only option for a fair and competitive tier.

I've got very little to contribute that hasn't been said already, I just wanted to link to Finch's post in the metagame discussion thread on why making a separate ladder for tera in infeasible: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...st-1782-rage-fist-update.3710915/post-9411005
None of this is "unfeasible", it's frankly at that point a lack of care. We have tons of random throwaway ladders, and we have had councils for stuff like LGPE, BDSP, and similar.

There's nothing unfeasible about a Tera ladder, but someone has to take the ONUS, and nobody has.

I and others have been keen on it.
I can't claim to have as much to say about tera, most other people (especially tiger jaw on page one), but I 100% agree with another tera ladder. Everyone else has been doing a good job at articulating why tera can't work well in this meta, but with so many people in support of it, a seperate ladder for tera is an idea I'm in full support of.

I will start by saying that I am in the camp to leave Terastillization be and play the mechanic as intended. I have been playing competitive since generation three and have seen many changes in that time, many good, many terrible.

Before I give reasons why it should not be restricted, let me say why it should not be outright banned. Unlike any previous generational gimmick, this is a mechanic that offers far more diversity for teambuilding while also testing players knowledge of individual pokemon. Unlike something like Dynamax, there are no outright stat changes. You don't magically double your Dragonites health and proceed to fire off 3 mini Z moves that boost your speed. This is a mechanic that benefits each Pokemon uniquely based on their strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. In all my games played, Terastillization is never the win button and often times can backfire on you, unlike any other mechanic before.

Reasons I am against various forms of limitations on the mechanic.
1) Revealing Tera types not only defeats the purpose of the mechanic, but flat out often tells you what that mon wants to do. This is the equivalent of allowing your opponent to be able to check your EV/IV spread mid battle, it is almost certainly blatantly unfair to one player compared to another. In the gen 6 metagame, running two or more pokemon capable of mega evolving was a big part of the metagame, which kept the opponent guessing. Your opponent had to second guess if you were running, say, defensive Swampert vs Mega Swampert. In gen 7, any mon had the ability to hold a tactical nuke and no one batted an eye at the idea that of viewing which Pokemon had a Z Crystal because that would defeat the purpose of the set. And guess what? Players could usually figure out which mon wanted to drop a Z move and which one it was because the meta game was allowed to develop and players quickly found out what worked and what didn't.

2) The Power level is no where near the heights Dynamax could reach. Dynamax was a complete game changer if you were already ahead and could allow players to come back from defeat if you were behind. Terastilization is more like a Z Move. It gets one good surprise in, but if you don't have a good opening to use it properly than your in trouble. There are obviously pokemon that can use the mechanic better than others. Some abilities also crank up the power level far higher like Adaptability, but that says more about the performance of that Pokemon in question rather than the imbalance of the mechanic. In fact, if you were to see something that blatant on the team, many should just treat it as they did a backline Mega Pokemon, with caution and respect that it is there.

3) The removal of Tera Blast. I would go so far to say as Tera Blast is a noob trap in many ways and a worse Hidden power. On paper it's an 80 BP normal attack that matches whatever your stronger damaging stat is. But in practice, the move is inherently bad if you DON"T terrastilze that pokemon. If you don't tera that pokemon, it eats up a move slot that something better could have been. When Hidden Power was around, although only 60 BP, it was never a dead weight move on a moveset. It ALWAYS provided needed coverage, which Tera Blast does not.

4) Limiting the mechanic to STAB typing only. This actually makes the mechanic much more one sided worse to deal with. In fact, I'd say this is the least competitive argument of them all. What this is actually saying is " I want my sweepers to hit harder and I want my opponents walls to block less." I want to preface this is not a defensive dynamax arguement. There are three big reasons why. The first reason is simply that this promotes greater hyper offensive play and closely mimics the exact reason Dynamax was banned. One mon gaining far more value than others simply because it has higher attack stats or it was given premature speed/attack buffs to start steamrolling. Allowing for any type tera type to be accessable by any mon keeps more powerful sweeper abusers in check and promotes options for weaker mons with unqiue niches. Second reason: This is just blatantly unfair to mons that are already monotype. Pokemon with two types get all the weaknesses and strengths of both those types, but mono type mons are still stuck with those same strengths and weaknesses with more damage output. This drastically affects tiering as inherently there are just some tera types that are ass compared to others. Tera as a mechanic is balanced by the fact that you can shift types on the fly to another type, so ostracizing a large population of monotype pokemon to favor dual types is blatantly uncompetitive. And reason three, this turns things into a very slippery slope in terms of weather and terrain. I played all throughout the gen 5 meta game, through every ban and rule change, questionable or not. Similar to my last point, damage boosting weather/terrains would undoubtable become the meta so you can essentially get your adaptability boosted grass, water, fire, electric, or psychic move off. I can further prove this to be true given the new Paradox pokemon and their sun/electric terrain based abilities. We have already seen the ban of Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. Many of these Paradox pokemon wouldn't be the main terastilizers for their teams, but they still would retain the option to be.

5) Limiting the amount of mons that can Terastilize per team. Honestly I find this one to just be dumb and lacks any real congruency with prior meta games. As I mentioned in my argument against revealing tera types, we had no such restriction on Mega's or Z Moves. If you wanted you could run a team of fully mega evolving pokemon, but only one could actually use it. Furthermore, I have used and fought many players on ladder that had two Z move users in their team just for the option of hitting more threats.

My conclusion: From all my games on ladder and on cart, this mechanic has been the most balanced of all 4. There isn't a surprise nuke like Z moves because it is very easy too tell 90% of the time what mons are going to use it. The mechanic isn't as centralizing as Megas because there have been many games either me or my opponent hasn't needed to use the mechanic and their team didn't rely on it to function. And it is no where near the power level of dynamax. Any changes to playstyle of the mechanic like "limiting to stab only" sways the mechanic further into unbalanced territory. Seeing an opponents teratype is equivalent to knowing what items or ev/iv's your opponent has in team preview. I Believe the mechanic is far more balanced than people believe because many have not adapted to the playstyle, especially coming off a meta where Dynamax, Z Moves, and Megas were not present. I think the biggest reason we are seeing complaints on the mechanic is simply due to many players unwillingness to shift their team building outside of their comfort zone (think the Goldengo vs Corviknight argument). Lastly, I think the one thing that many forget too look at is that this is the first mechanic with a true trade off outside of individual pokemon and that by changing your pokemons type, you are also opening it up to new weaknesses as well. In fact, I think this is the only mechanic to have actual weaknesses built into it.

I really think we should be deviating from the core cartridge mechanics as little as possible or all of a sudden every aspect of the game becomes somewhat arbitrary and up for debate, and yes, I know we have sleep clause but that’s stupid too. Putting my general feelings about tera to one side (I think it’s uncompetitive) I really think we should just try to at least keep any action or lack of as straightforward as possible, rather than bending over backwards for accommodate a shiny new toy

Dead by Daylight

I really think we should be deviating from the core cartridge mechanics as little as possible or all of a sudden every aspect of the game becomes somewhat arbitrary and up for debate, and yes, I know we have sleep clause but that’s stupid too. Putting my general feelings about tera to one side (I think it’s uncompetitive) I really think we should just try to at least keep any action or lack of as straightforward as possible, rather than bending over backwards for accommodate a shiny new toy
Here’s the thing: we’re not technically deviating from tournament rules or cartridge. Every clause on Smogon can be recreated on cartridge as a gentleman’s agreement. However, I do agree that we should stay true to the player base rather than try to force Terastallization into the metagame.

Here’s the thing: we’re not technically deviating from tournament rules or cartridge. Every clause on Smogon can be recreated on cartridge as a gentleman’s agreement. However, I do agree that we should stay true to the player base rather than try to force Terastallization into the metagame.
Please explain to me how the sleep clause can be gentleman agreemented in the following situation. I am running breloom with effect spore ,regardless of the increased viability of the other abilities the mon gets. T1 I spore your first pokemon, T2 you switch to any mon that has a contact move, T3 you outspeed attack me with a contact move, effect spore procs and you are asleep.

Sleep clause is not "Ok bro don't intentionally put two of my pokemon to sleep by clicking spore twice". Its "Two pokemon cannot be asleep" the end.

Please explain to me how the sleep clause can be gentleman agreemented in the following situation. I am running breloom with effect spore ,regardless of the increased viability of the other abilities the mon gets. T1 I spore your first pokemon, T2 you switch to any mon that has a contact move, T3 you outspeed attack me with a contact move, effect spore procs and you are asleep.

Sleep clause is not "Ok bro don't intentionally put two of my pokemon to sleep". Its "Two pokemon cannot be asleep the end.
Not trying to be pedantic but, you're wrong.

You're confusing Sleep Mod for Sleep Clause. Both are in effect, as separate things. Clause is used on cart and the simulator, Mod is by definition an intended modification of the mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)