Typing: The Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Space is SE vs Normal and Fire. This type beats Normal and Grass.

Unless I'm reading the wrong sub.
I've changed the type chart, current things it beats is Normal, Water, Ground, Space and Heart. That's a bit more tha "Basically starter type + normal" imo

This type is for Pokémon that are literally Food (Vanilluxe), eat a lot (Snorlax), produces Food (Miltank), or cooks (Unova's Monkeys).

Possible retyped Pokémon:
->
Exeggcute doesn't look like a grass-type. Maybe Exeggutor can keep its Grass-type.
->
This Pokémon has very long tongue and is fat.
->
A lot of Pokémon entries qualifies Chansey's egg as nutricious.
->
Do I need to explain this one?
->
The Moomoo Milk is made of her milk.
->
Sumo wrestler needs to eat a lot to become so fat. Also it has the ability Thick Fat.
->
Pokédex entry: "Almost all of its body is its stomach. Its harsh digestive juices quickly dissolve anything it swallows." "Its powerful stomach acid is capable of digesting almost anything. The one thing in the whole world a Swalot can't digest is its own stomach." "Swalot has no teeth, so what it eats, it swallows whole, no matter what. Its cavernous mouth yawns widely. An automobile tire could easily fit inside this Pokémon’s mouth."
->
They have the abilities Thick Fat and Glutonny.
->
It's the fruit Pokémon. "Bunches of delicious fruit grow around its neck. In warm areas, many ranches raise Tropius."
->
A bit of a stretch but in french these Pokémon names contain the word: "roast". Pignite also has the ability Thick Fat and both don't learn many Fighting moves. It'd also make less Fire/Fighting starter.
->
->
->
Dex entries: "It's good at finding berries and gathers them from all over. It's kind enough to share them with friends." "Very intelligent, it roasts berries before eating them. It likes to help people." "The water stored inside the tuft on its head is full of nutrients. It waters plants with it using its tail." Also their Gym leaders are cookers and they've the ability Glutonny.
->
Literally food.
->
Every Pokédex entries tells it likes to eat Durants. Also it has the ability Glutonny and I find it a bit unfair it not to have a secondary typing like Durant.
->
See Vanillite-line.
->
It's based on a fruit.

Possible retyped moves:
Egg-Bomb, Stockpile, Spit Up, Swallow, Soft-Boiled, Milk Drink

Possible Type Effectiveness:
WIP
Some other moves and mons I would like to suggest are Belch, Cherubi line, Lick, Recycle (?) and maybe Crunch or Bite, idk.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
After some thoughts, here is a common archetype each submission (and winner) should have.
  • Heart: Cleric, Wall Oriented
  • Time: Support/Debuff
  • Space: Balanced or Defensive Oriented
  • Blood: Stall Oriented
  • Invasive: Offensive Oriented
  • Food: Defensive Oriented or Balanced
  • Monster: Offensive Oriented
  • Light: Balanced, lean to Speed
  • Hero: Balanced/Supportive
  • Noble: Physical Oriented
  • Acid: Special Oriented
  • Chaos: Offensive Oriented
  • Magic: Special Wall Oriented
  • Wood: Physically Resistant
  • Cat: Physical Oriented
Most of these are quite offensive oriented, though you may disagree with me about any of above. Those are just a potential "general playstyle" and obviously not all Pokémon who are getting any of those types (or had those) needs to follow the playstyle and we should encourage a little variation, otherwise the type will get stale.

Last edited:
time strikes me as a more support/debuff type at least in other mediums. Slow, haste and stop type spells aren’t going to do damage, but they do win battles.

I also struggle to call space a strong offensive type with a rather weak set of SE hits, which unlike dragon before gen 6, didn’t have more than 1 resist.

Also blood strikes me as stall oriented with great potential for Damage over time and drain/absorb magic and certainly debuffs such as, I dunno stealing strength from your enemy

Recalling back to other types, Magic could easily be a good special wall type if given all the elements a wizard could use such as ground, fire, water, electric, ice and rock. You could probably fit a ghost resist due to the magical nature of ghosts and maybe flying if people are so adamant against air/wind elemental.

Wood could easily be a physical resistant type. I’ve outlined it before but I don’t want to keep repeating myself.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I also think Space can be balanced, as while it's a great offensive STAB thanks to little potent resists that are viable, but also can play key defensive roles thanks to having many resistances to key attacking types like Fire and Ice. Doesn't hurt in that many potent defensive threats are part Space.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I also think Space can be balanced, as while it's a great offensive STAB thanks to little potent resists that are viable, but also can play key defensive roles thanks to having many resistances to key attacking types like Fire and Ice. Doesn't hurt in that many potent defensive threats are part Space.
Very good point about Space. Who wants to safely switch in to receive a STAB Meteor Kick, or even Solrock's Astralize Explosion? Only Ghost-type (that isn't Chandelure), Time-type and Mega Scizor.

I consider my Light-type balanced but tend to be fast (at least for those who lean to offensive), but if anyone felt that Light-type's general archetype is anything else than I stated, convince me to do so (check my re-sub post here first before saying a thing though).

Last edited:
Cat
Cat is for Pokemon based on cats. They possess feline appearances and behavior. They attack with their claws, teeth, and tails.

Justification: Every Gen with fossil Pokemon and a butterfly/moth Pokemon also has a two-stage cat Pokemon (that learns Assist for some reason). Fossil Pokemon and butterfly/moth Pokemon are both associated with a certain type, but the cat Pokemon aren't.

Possible Pokemon Retypes
Cat
Dark/Cat
Cat
Electric/Cat
Electric/Cat
Cat
Dark/Cat
Psychic/Cat
Fire/Cat
Fire/Cat
Space/Cat

Space/Cat
Possible Move Retypes

• Slash​
  • Fury Swipes​
  • Milk Drink​
  • Hone Claws​
  • Tail Whip​
  • Scratch​
Possible Matchups
Resists: Flying, Cat, Ground
Beats: Flying, Heart, Fire, Bug

Resisted by: Steel, Cat, Poison, Water
Beaten by: Water, Dragon, Steel
Resists
Flying: Cats are nimble, and are said to always land on their feet.
Cat: Cats just like to play around with each other.
Ground: Cats are land mammals.
Beats
Flying: Cats catch and eat birds.
Heart: Domestic cats are usually kind and lovable.
Fire: Varieties of cats are often associated with fire in fiction.
Bug: Cats sometimes eat bugs.
Resisted by
Steel: Cats can't do anything to metal.
Poison: Poison can affect cats and threaten their health.
Water: Cats are helpless in water.
Beaten by:
Water: Cats will drown in water.
Dragon: Dragons are just fiercer and stronger creatures.
Steel: Jungle cats can be hunted by bullets, or other metal weapons.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Cat
Cat is for Pokemon based on cats. They possess feline appearances and behavior. They attack with their claws, teeth, and tails.

Justification: Every Gen with fossil Pokemon and a butterfly/moth Pokemon also has a two-stage cat Pokemon (that learns Assist for some reason). Fossil Pokemon and butterfly/moth Pokemon are both associated with a certain type, but the cat Pokemon aren't.

Possible Pokemon Retypes
Cat
Dark/Cat
Cat
Electric/Cat
Electric/Cat
Cat
Dark/Cat
Psychic/Cat
Fire/Cat
Fire/Cat
Space/Cat

Space/Cat
Possible Move Retypes

• Slash​
  • Fury Swipes​
  • Milk Drink​
  • Hone Claws​
  • Tail Whip​
  • Scratch​
Possible Matchups
Resists: Flying, Cat, Ground
Beats: Flying, Heart, Fire, Bug

Resisted by: Steel, Cat, Poison, Water
Beaten by: Water, Dragon, Steel
Resists
Flying: Cats are nimble, and are said to always land on their feet.
Ground: Cats are land mammals.
Beats
Flying: Cats catch and eat birds.
Heart: Domestic cats are usually kind and lovable.
Fire: Varieties of cats are often associated with fire in fiction.
Bug: Cats sometimes eat bugs.
Resisted by
Steel: Cats can't do anything to metal.
Poison: Poison can affect cats and threaten their health.
Water: Cats are helpless in water.
Beaten by:
Water: Cats will drown in water.
Dragon: Dragons are just fiercer and stronger creatures.
Steel: Jungle cats can be hunted by bullets, or other metal weapons.
If this ever wins, Assist and Fake Out deserves to be retyped cat-type

After some thoughts, here is a common archetype each submission (and winner) should have.
  • Heart: Cleric, Wall Oriented
  • Time: Support/Debuff
  • Space: Balanced or Defensive Oriented
  • Blood: Stall Oriented
  • Invasive: Offensive Oriented
  • Food: Defensive Oriented or Balanced
  • Monster: Offensive Oriented
  • Light: Balanced, lean to Speed
  • Hero: Physical Oriented
  • Noble: Physical Oriented
  • Acid: Special Oriented
  • Chaos: Offensive Oriented
  • Magic: Special Wall Oriented
  • Wood: Physically Resistant
Most of these are quite offensive oriented, though you may disagree with me about any of above. Those are just a potential "general playstyle" and obviously not all Pokémon who are getting any of those types (or had those) needs to follow the playstyle and we should encourage a little variation, otherwise the type will get stale.
I was actually planning to make hero more Support/Balanced, as it'll be more about protecting and helping others than just fighting. Heroes aren't always punchers, some save through other means.

I posted earlier but I think I should explain why the example Pokemon fit into the type. I changed the list a bit after more consideration and looking into the Pokemons' dex entries.

Noble type
Noble-type includes Pokemon who have elements of justice, courage, righteousness, and honor in their actions, intent, and presence. While these concepts are typically associated with the Fighting-type, there are others that exude nobility as well. Noble-type Pokemon fight honorably, even against the unjust or evil, with high self-discipline and with the intent to aid. They may also attempt rescuing other Pokemon or people. This is separate from Fighting-types that just like to fight as well as violence-oriented Pokemon, who Noble-types will bravely fight against when the time comes.
Example Pokemon and justifications:
(Fighting/Noble): Sumo wrestling is very ritualistic and ceremonial, they're not fighting just to fight but to compare strength. Hariyama's US entry - "Although they enjoy comparing their strength, they're also kind. They value etiquette, praising opponents they battle."
(Noble/Fighting): Weaker link, but it has the ability Justified and controls auras, which requires great discipline and training (and hence, honor?).
(Fighting/Noble): Some of its dex entries - "A master of courtesy and swordsmanship, it fights using extending swords on its elbows." "When protecting someone, it extends its elbows as if they were swords and fights savagely."
(Psychic/Noble): Some of its dex entries mention how it will protect its Trainer with its life, using its psychic abilities at full power. Its name is also based on the French for “guardian” and duty.”
(Steel/Noble): Do I need to explain the Swords of Justice? Their dex entries talk a lot about their noble actions, defending people and Pokemon in their time of need.
(Rock/Noble): see Cobalion
(Grass/Noble): see Cobalion
(Water/Noble): see Cobalion
(Grass/Noble): X/OR dex entries - "Its Tackle is forceful enough to flip a 50-ton tank. It shields its allies from danger with its own body."
(Dragon/Noble): They learn Noble Roar, plus Kommo-o's UM entry - "It battles valiantly with its fists, which are armored in steel scales. Kommo-o specializes in uppercuts." Jangmo-o's UM entry - "It will never show an enemy its back in battle. Ancient warriors liked Jangmo-o for its valiant disposition and made it one of their own."
(Grass/Noble): Some of its dex entries - "It only gives its all against strong opponents who are not fazed by the glare from Serperior's noble eyes." "They raise their heads to intimidate opponents but only give it their all when fighting a powerful opponent."
(Dark/Noble): Some of its dex entires - "It senses coming disasters and appears before people only to warn them of impending danger." "Although it's said to bring disaster, in actuality, this Pokémon possesses a calm disposition and warns people of any crises that loom." "The only thing unlucky about Absol is its appearance. It protects fields and warns people of disaster, so one ought to be grateful for it." Its Mega - "Normally, it dislikes fighting, so it really hates changing to this form for battles."
(Fire/Noble): Growlithe is known for its loyalty and willingness to protect its Trainer. Also, "It has a brave and trustworthy nature. It fearlessly stands up to bigger and stronger foes."
(Fire/Noble): Some of its dex entries - "The males are usually lazy, but when attacked by a strong foe, a male will protect its friends with no regard for its own safety." "With fiery breath of more than 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit, they viciously threaten any challenger. The females protect the pride’s cubs."
(Noble/Flying): All of its dex entries talk about its bravery and its willingness to battle to protect its friends even when injured. Sun entry - "With its brave disposition, it fears nothing—not even death. Ancient Alolan people respected it, referring to it as "the hero of the sky."

Pokemon that may be Noble-type:
(Water/Noble): Learns Noble Roar, and its UM entry "When a small Wailmer is attacked by Sharpedo or Dhelmise, its whole pod works together to protect it."
(Water/Noble): Weaker link, but it's based on samurai and gets Sacred Sword without being a possessed sword, Ultra Beast, or Sword of Justice.
(Noble/Fire): Learns Noble Roar, and its entry states that it "helps those who want to build a world of truth."
(Noble/Electric): Learns Noble Roar, and its entry states that it "assists those who want to build an ideal world."

Pokemon that are not Noble-type:
While its kingly design originally made me think of it as potentially noble, some of its entries talk about how it will "decimate anything that threatens its pride." Fighting to defend your pride is vain, not noble, so it doesn't fit.
"It readies itself to face its enemies by focusing its mental energies. Its fighting style can be summed up in a single word: heartless." "Its aura has expanded due to Mega Evolution. Governed only by its combative instincts, it strikes enemies without mercy." Certainly not noble.
While it has a "violent temperament," fighting off bullies to protect the weak is certainly a noble act. Its dex entry also mentions that it is "kindhearted toward its companions" so it's not just outright violent for the sake of violence.
Edit: I guess you’re right, it wouldn’t fight fairly even though it may have noble intent in fighting bullies. Justice is complicated ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I posted earlier but I think I should explain why the example Pokemon fit into the type. I changed the list a bit after more consideration and looking into the Pokemons' dex entries.

Noble type
Noble-type includes Pokemon who have elements of justice, courage, righteousness, and honor in their actions, intent, and presence. While these concepts are typically associated with the Fighting-type, there are others that exude nobility as well. Noble-type Pokemon fight honorably, even against the unjust or evil, with high self-discipline and with the intent to aid. They may also attempt rescuing other Pokemon or people. This is separate from Fighting-types that just like to fight as well as violence-oriented Pokemon, who Noble-types will bravely fight against when the time comes.
(Fighting/Noble): Sumo wrestling is very ritualistic and ceremonial, they're not fighting just to fight but to compare strength. Hariyama's US entry - "Although they enjoy comparing their strength, they're also kind. They value etiquette, praising opponents they battle."
(Noble/Fighting): Weaker link, but it has the ability Justified and controls auras, which requires great discipline and training (and hence, honor?).
(Psychic/Noble): Some of its dex entries - "A master of courtesy and swordsmanship, it fights using extending swords on its elbows." "When protecting someone, it extends its elbows as if they were swords and fights savagely."
(Steel/Noble): Do I need to explain the Swords of Justice? Their dex entries talk a lot about their noble actions, defending people and Pokemon in their time of need.
(Grass/Noble): X/OR dex entries - "Its Tackle is forceful enough to flip a 50-ton tank. It shields its allies from danger with its own body."
(Dragon/Noble): They learn Noble Roar, plus Kommo-o's UM entry - "It battles valiantly with its fists, which are armored in steel scales. Kommo-o specializes in uppercuts." Jangmo-o's UM entry - "It will never show an enemy its back in battle. Ancient warriors liked Jangmo-o for its valiant disposition and made it one of their own."
(Grass/Noble): Some of its dex entries - "It only gives its all against strong opponents who are not fazed by the glare from Serperior's noble eyes." "They raise their heads to intimidate opponents but only give it their all when fighting a powerful opponent."
(Dark/Noble): Some of its dex entires - "It senses coming disasters and appears before people only to warn them of impending danger." "Although it's said to bring disaster, in actuality, this Pokémon possesses a calm disposition and warns people of any crises that loom." "The only thing unlucky about Absol is its appearance. It protects fields and warns people of disaster, so one ought to be grateful for it." Its Mega - "Normally, it dislikes fighting, so it really hates changing to this form for battles."
(Fire/Noble): Growlithe is known for its loyalty and willingness to protect its Trainer. Also, "It has a brave and trustworthy nature. It fearlessly stands up to bigger and stronger foes."
(Fire/Noble): Some of its dex entries - "The males are usually lazy, but when attacked by a strong foe, a male will protect its friends with no regard for its own safety." "With fiery breath of more than 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit, they viciously threaten any challenger. The females protect the pride’s cubs."
(Noble/Flying): All of its dex entries talk about its bravery and its willingness to battle to protect its friends even when injured. Sun entry - "With its brave disposition, it fears nothing—not even death. Ancient Alolan people respected it, referring to it as "the hero of the sky."

(Water/Noble): Learns Noble Roar, and its UM entry "When a small Wailmer is attacked by Sharpedo or Dhelmise, its whole pod works together to protect it."
(Water/Noble): Weaker link, but it's based on samurai and gets Sacred Sword without being a possessed sword, Ultra Beast, or Sword of Justice.
(Noble/Fire): Learns Noble Roar, and its entry states that it "helps those who want to build a world of truth."
(Noble/Electric): Learns Noble Roar, and its entry states that it "assists those who want to build an ideal world."
(Dark/Noble or Fighting/Noble): While it has a "violent temperament," fighting off bullies to protect the weak is certainly a noble act. Its dex entry also mentions that it is "kindhearted toward its companions" so it's not just outright violent for the sake of violence.

While its kingly design originally made me think of it as potentially noble, some of its entries talk about how it will "decimate anything that threatens its pride." Fighting to defend your pride is vain, not noble, so it doesn't fit.
"It readies itself to face its enemies by focusing its mental energies. Its fighting style can be summed up in a single word: heartless." "Its aura has expanded due to Mega Evolution. Governed only by its combative instincts, it strikes enemies without mercy." Certainly not noble.
You bring up wailord's UM entry, but don't add Wishiwashi that has an alternate form all about working together? Also, if you're talking about "fighting fairly" as your description points out, things like Pangoro and absol wouldn't fit as pangoro doesn't fight fairly (it's evil-type for a reason), and Absol doesn't really fight. If you're just talking about heroicness in general and just that heroicness, it seems you're limiting a type that's called noble-type into just being really good heroes, instead of letting it be it's own thing from the hero-type, tbh. I don't mean any offense by this, i just wanted to point out how it feels. Finally, you didn't need to make a whole new post for it again, you can just edit your original post. trying to be helpful. again, not trying to be offensive here.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Very good point about Space. Who wants to safely switch in to receive a STAB Meteor Kick, or even Solrock's Astralize Explosion? Only Ghost-type (that isn't Chandelure).

I consider my Light-type balanced but tend to be fast (at least for those who lean to offensive), but if anyone felt that Light-type's general archetype is anything else than I stated, convince me to do so (check my re-sub post here first before saying a thing though).
Only viable bug type that switches in on Space stuff is Mega Scizor. Another point to it.

Noble type
(Psychic/Noble): Some of its dex entries - "A master of courtesy and swordsmanship, it fights using extending swords on its elbows." "When protecting someone, it extends its elbows as if they were swords and fights savagely."

(Dark/Noble or Fighting/Noble): While it has a "violent temperament," fighting off bullies to protect the weak is certainly a noble act. Its dex entry also mentions that it is "kindhearted toward its companions" so it's not just outright violent for the sake of violence.

Something to note, Gardevoir should be Psychic/Noble as well. It's Japanese name literally translates to Sir Knight, and it's Dec entries all talk about defending it's trainer and their honor and what not.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Something to note, Gardevoir should be Psychic/Noble as well. It's Japanese name literally translates to Sir Knight, and it's Dec entries all talk about defending it's trainer and their honor and what not.
Also, Gardevoir is a contraction of the french words for "Guardian" and "Duty", so yeah, it is noble indeed.

Also, Gardevoir is a contraction of the french words for "Guardian" and "Duty", so yeah, it is noble indeed.
Yeah, maybe turn it into noble/fairy. psychic doesn't fit it as much as the other two until it goes mega and gains a bride dress
Ah, I somehow missed that. Since the mega’s ability is Pixilate, I’ll call them both Fairy/Noble for now (maybe Fey/Noble in the future?). Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Psychic/Noble then?

Quite the contrary in my opinion, ion really get the Fairy aspect of Gardevoir
I don't get the psychic part. Especially when it mega-evolves. Even it's origin fits more with a fighting-type than a psychic-type. IDK, I just don't see it being a psychic-type IMO.

You bring up wailord's UM entry, but don't add Wishiwashi that has an alternate form all about working together? Also, if you're talking about "fighting fairly" as your description points out, things like Pangoro and absol wouldn't fit as pangoro doesn't fight fairly (it's evil-type for a reason), and Absol doesn't really fight. If you're just talking about heroicness in general and just that heroicness, it seems you're limiting a type that's called noble-type into just being really good heroes, instead of letting it be it's own thing from the hero-type, tbh. I don't mean any offense by this, i just wanted to point out how it feels. Finally, you didn't need to make a whole new post for it again, you can just edit your original post. trying to be helpful. again, not trying to be offensive here.
I agree with you that Pangoro isn’t noble, it’s been put in the “not noble” list. I left Absol there because while it doesn’t like to fight, it certainly can, and it attempts to warn people of imminent disasters, which I think is noble (or heroic). As for Wishiwashi, I left it out because of something called the selfish herd effect theory, which suggests that herding/flocking/schooling animals group together because each individual is selfishly attempting to save itself by putting its group members in between itself and the predators. Not sure if this really applies to Wishiwashi, but that’s what I think of when I think of schooling, which is why I don’t put all of the herding/flocking/schooling Pokemon into Noble-type.

I guess I should have been clearer in my description of what “noble” means to me. I’ve actually been thinking about it for a while, and what I came up with might make it possible for both Hero and Noble to exist as separate types, as you suggest. Maybe Noble here could emphasize noble intentions/thoughts while Hero emphasizes noble actions, aka heroism? This would force us to split the representative Pokemon, but that might not be too big of an issue if we get to create fakemons for each type later. What do you think about this?

I agree with you that Pangoro isn’t noble, it’s been put in the “not noble” list. I left Absol there because while it doesn’t like to fight, it certainly can, and it attempts to warn people of imminent disasters, which I think is noble (or heroic). As for Wishiwashi, I left it out because of something called the selfish herd effect theory, which suggests that herding/flocking/schooling animals group together because each individual is selfishly attempting to save itself by putting its group members in between itself and the predators. Not sure if this really applies to Wishiwashi, but that’s what I think of when I think of schooling, which is why I don’t put all of the herding/flocking/schooling Pokemon into Noble-type.

I guess I should have been clearer in my description of what “noble” means to me. I’ve actually been thinking about it for a while, and what I came up with might make it possible for both Hero and Noble to exist as separate types, as you suggest. Maybe Noble here could emphasize noble intentions/thoughts while Hero emphasizes noble actions, aka heroism? This would force us to split the representative Pokemon, but that might not be too big of an issue if we get to create fakemons for each type later. What do you think about this?
It's a bit of what I was thinking as well, but maybe i should've been more clear. Hero-type are about those who protect others, but they don't have to be for good reasons, like how not all hero characters do it for "heroic" reasons. That's why i named it hero-type and not heroic-type or good-type. That's also why dark type is good against hero-type: heroes who are less heroic help others, while noble is the those being noble and kind, doing things because of their nature, not just doing things for any other reason.

As for Wishiwashi, I actually didn't think of that. kind-of forgot about that (I've been very tired recently, if you couldn't tell from my posts), so yeah, maybe noble-type doesn't fit it too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)