Pokémon Charizard

Which one these MEvos will be OU in your opinion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferrothorn, Azumarill, Tyranitar, Excadrill, Roserade.

What do you think? X or Y?
I would actually say Y. While the sun hurts Azumarill and Ferrothorn, the team only has one special attacker with Roserade and Tyranitar could change the teams weather to something much more suitable.

I go for X 'cause I think the double weather hinders the team, overall. Non for Ferro (he's already enough weak to fire on his own), but boosting the weaknesses of Excadrill and Roserade hasn't much sense, imo. Last but not least, drops the power of Azumarill moves.

I think TTar would generally be paired with Y since X doesn't like the additional residual damage with Flare Blitz recoil. I think an offensive Water type would usually suggest X. I don't think Ferrothorn provides many clues since it is already cooked by Fire type attacks, although Ferrothorn and Y have good defensive synergy. Roserade could take advantage of Weather Ball with Y, but with only 5 turns of sun, that is unreliable, so I don't think it gives any clues. Excadrill could be on the team to remove SR for Y since it absolutely needs SR gone, but X doesn't like hazards either, so it doesn't provide many clues either. If all five of those Pokemon were on the same team, I'd say it is a bad team (two Grass types?) and that you probably cannot predict which form since the opponent probably has no idea why they are using one form or the other.

Heh. It's my WiFi team, as it happens, and it works bloody well with X. It barely ever loses.

Roserade was a replacement for Greninja and is scarfed with leaf storm, sludge bomb and sleep powder. It outspeeds everything up to and including a +1 Jolly Mega-Tyranitar, OHKOs a hell of a lot and, in particular, it takes care of grass and water types, which clears the decks for a dragon dancing Tyranitar to sweep. Alternatively, Tyranitar clears the decks for Char-X to sweep.

(Scarf Roserade and Dragon Dance Tyranitar are incredibly synergistic, as it happens. If not killing the things tha threaten Tyranitar, Roserade is luring in attackers that Tyranitar can switch into and set up on.)

The truth of the matter is that without knowing the sets underlying the other pokemon, it's hard to read too much into which pokemon are paired with it.

Last edited:
i am intending to use a defensive charizard x may i know what the ev spread should be like?
Depends on what exactly you want it to do. The way I have mine set up is to outspeed Dnites hoping to abuse their Multiscale to get +1 by Dragon Dancing, along with Outspeeding bulky Landorus T. It's sort of a set you tailor to what threatens your team as a whole.

Depends on what exactly you want it to do. The way I have mine set up is to outspeed Dnites hoping to abuse their Multiscale to get +1 by Dragon Dancing, along with Outspeeding bulky Landorus T. It's sort of a set you tailor to what threatens your team as a whole.
What is your charizard-x ev spread as i think my charizard should have the same functions as yours?

What is your charizard-x ev spread as i think my charizard should have the same functions as yours?
I would try

Charizard @ Charizardite-X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 120 Spd / 240 Atk / 144 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Im sure its mentioned in the 49 pages here but..is careful a viable nature on a more defensive char x? I realize it resists a good portion of special attacking types already but does the extra special bulk help it at all?

this should be a game, take a team with charizard on it, post the other 5 mons and guess what Zard it is
I like it, I usually determine the opposing Charizard depending on what it comes in on and by looking at the physical to special attackers ratio. It helps but then there's always that team where you guess completely wrong.

Pursuit trapper is a giant indicator of a Zard Y team. Keldeo is as well.

But theres always the guy that makes a Zard Y structure team and then.....?

Dragon Dance.
You are definitely correct on that you might as well say good gg

Man remember how people said y zard was better but look at it now x zard is one of the best pokes in the meta game

Last edited by a moderator:
Pursuit trapper is a giant indicator of a Zard Y team. Keldeo is as well.

But theres always the guy that makes a Zard Y structure team and then.....?

Dragon Dance.
I should seriously build the classic Pursuit+CharYzard team and slap Charizard X on it.

If we can talk about a trend in Char-Y's move pool, we'd have to cite Flamethrower's resurgence as the primary STAB option over Fire Blast. This is only going by my experience in the 1600-1700 range.

It seems that just like Specs Keldeo shying away from it's once loved Hydro Pump in favor of Scald, Char-Y has removed accuracy from the equation when dealing with switch ins to its primary STAB.

When facing a balanced team, Flamethrower probably shines the most, as it applies a great deal of pressure to walls, while still doing respectable damage to opposing attackers. You have the benefit of whittling down Chansey rapidly between switch ins -and reliable hits - you even net the opportunity to trap her with Gothelette, Aegislash, or Tyranitar as she attempts to heal.

It's pretty funny how we've ran in circles trying to make Char-Y more threatening (from Flare Blitz to Ancient Power, both fads now thankfully dead) when all we needed was a reliable STAB move, and (situationally) a Modest nature to back it up.

Last edited:
If we can talk about a trend in Char-Y's move pool, we'd have to cite Flamethrower's resurgence as the primary STAB option over Fire Blast. This is only going by my experience in the 1600-1700 range.

It seems that just like Specs Keldeo shying away from it's once loved Hydro Pump in favor of Scald, Char-Y has removed accuracy from the equation when dealing with switch ins to its primary STAB.

When facing a balanced team, Flamethrower probably shines the most, as it applies a great deal of pressure to walls, while still doing respectable damage to opposing attackers. You have the benefit of whittling down Chansey rapidly between switch ins -and reliable hits - you even net the opportunity to trap her with Gothelette, Aegislash, or Tyranitar as she attempts to heal.

It's pretty funny how we've ran in circles trying to make Char-Y more threatening (from Flare Blitz to Ancient Power, both fads now thankfully dead) when all we needed was a reliable STAB move, and (situationally) a Modest nature to back it up.

I've been seeing Flamethrower in 1300-1500 range. Never used Y myself, but I'd think going timid and using Fire Blast is a better option.

I've been seeing Flamethrower in 1300-1500 range. Never used Y myself, but I'd think going timid and using Fire Blast is a better option.
Care to discuss the pros and cons?
As a favor to me, and as yourself as a team builder, please give Char-Y a shot, he's a gem to play with if you give him what he needs

Indeed, Fire Blast makes him a fierce wallbreaker, but Max Speed base 100 is so crowded that his use of that speed is situational. If I ran timid, It would only be to outspeed things like Jolly Max+ Excadrill, which has become mostly obsolete with the popularity spike of adamant Sand Rush variants.

The fact that Zard-Y can derail the standard SandCore (even with a Modest nature) and function as a decently fast wallbreaker/cleaner makes him very valuable these days, you may want to try him out, experience some scathing Fire Blast misses, and let me know if your opinion changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)