CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 3 (Secondary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to attempt to be unbiased with this vote by reading the thread after.

1. Electric
What 4x Ground weak. What lack of resists. Neutrality is the way to go.

2. Dragon
This is actually contradictory somewhat because of the tons of resists this would have. In reality, the 4x Fighting Resist will help a lot, and being only 2x weak to Ice is pretty cool too.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not voting yet, but here's my thinking...

I'm pissed that Tay beat me to it, but I've been thinking a lot about Poison/Rock. I'm envisioning a radioactive uranium pokemon here. For the exact reason that Tay mentioned, it would be nice to have a pokemon other than TTar that can abuse the SpDef boost from sandstorm. With the right defenses, this thing could be an awesome special wall. It also resists Poison(4x), Normal, Bug, Flying, and Fire. Those are not great, but pretty good on the CAP server. The weaknesses are a big turn-off, which is the only reason I'm not pimping this type combo harder. But, it's food for thought.

Poison/Dragon is interesting, but I'm not wild about it. Poison/Electric is my likely favorite at this point, only because I haven't heard anything better.

Oh, and Tailwind is the most useless move this side of Splash, it only lasts for three turns, meaning you get the boost for one.
Oh, really? I thought it lasted for five. No wonder noone uses it. ._.

Well, um ... *cough* ... maybe it could have an ability that made Tailwind last twice as long! <<;;

*switches order of his votes, now that this has been pointed out to him.*

Poison / Ground is still ftw, though. Toxic Spikes absorption + Sandstorm immunity + Thunder Wave immunity + Stealth Rock resistance = the win, in my book.

okay i'ver looked over everyhting and i think thisi sounds good.

I. Electric because fo the awesomne resistances it has and with only two weaknesses it cna easily be done. Also, since this is electric type, wouldn't Magnet Rise be available possibly? that leaves it with one weakness and gg.

2. Dragon is my second choice for secondary tying. It answers the pleas of a utility dragon, opens up a powerful movepool, but leaves it at steels mercy if it cant learn a fire attack. The ice weakness is hindering, however it is not 4x like most other dragons. Ground weakness is bad since i cant see it in my head having levitate, psychic still isnt that common except on specszam and scarfdevoir. Dragon types always have a weakness to theirselves, some kind of mythilogical thing Miramoto thought of (or whoever dreated pokemon, i cant remember).

Yeah i think those are good enough reasons.

1. Dragon, I really like the idea of a defensive OU dragon, Having 3 weakness to common attacking moves makes it so it won't wall the hell out of life. But its typing lets it still come in to act as utility.Not only that, but the idea of a poison breathing dragon is pretty fucking cool.

2. Steel. Doug convinced me to change to this, because the typeing would be more usefull to the purpose of this pokemon. All those resistances really would help, it survive, while the ground weakness isn't that bad(Look at heatran). I'm not crazy about a mercury pokemon, but for the purpose of what we need work on now, I say steel

1) ELECTRIC

Electric type gives availability to Gravity, Magnet Rise, Trick Room (somewhat) and Thunderwave; coupled with Poison's resistances, it will only be weak to Ground (4x) and Psychic. Of course, since nobody's going to keep a Scizor in against a Heatran, same idea goes. Plus, Magnet Rise gives it immunity to its 4x weakness against Ground, just like Magnezones. Of course, ALWAYS an option: Levitate ability.

2) Steel

Simple: Many resistances.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
2. Electric. A computer virus would be a prety cool idea. I choose this over steel, because how the hell are you going to glue those two together? If some on has a moderately good ida how it would work, I change it to Steel
I'm quoting the idea by Gothic Togekiss, but mercury is a really nice combo of Poison and Steel. I notice that GT deleted his post, probably because it was a bit of poll-jumping in its posted form. I agree somewhat and don't want to focus too much on designs, since we aren't there yet. However, if you can't possibly imagine a Poison/Steel pokemon that "fits" -- well, GT's mercury idea is almost perfect (and mercury would be fast too!). And that's just one of many.

Just about any typing can be fleshed out with a creative design. With the artists we have on this project, we will have a great design, no matter what typing we choose. Don't let lack of an obvious design concept sway your vote too much at this stage. There are some very creative and talented people on the CAP project. They'll come up with something brilliant, I'm sure.

On the flip side, don't vote for a type on the assumption that a certain design will win later on. Once the artists get into the mix, it is completely unpredictable what awesomeness they will produce. Just like no one expected "woodman" when Grass/Fire was chosen early in the Pyroak project. When it comes to CAP designs, expect the unexpected.

So just pick a type that you like, hopefully with sound reasoning informing your choice. The design part will happen later, and will likely be incredible.

I'm quoting the idea by Gothic Togekiss, but mercury is a really nice combo of Poison and Steel. I notice that GT deleted his post, probably because it was a bit of poll-jumping in its posted form. I agree somewhat and don't want to focus too much on designs, since we aren't there yet. However, if you can't possibly imagine a Poison/Steel pokemon that "fits" -- well, GT's mercury idea is almost perfect (and mercury would be fast too!). And that's just one of many.
Do you mean mercury sludge? Mercury is liquid at room temperature so lead would work better if you want it to be solid (I usually don't think of sludge as being fast). Mercury sludge seems like a good idea though.

Dark: It would only have one weakness and can be a dark resistant trick room and perish song and an anti-ghost rapid spinner.

Not sure of the second vote. Rock, steel, and electric all seem good. Ground could also use gravity and then stab EQ, if we want it to do that.

1. Dragon: I've always wanted a Poison/Dragon pokemon. I think this would be a cool opportunity to make an OU defensive Dragon pokemon, which is currently lacking in the metagame. It would have a bunch of useful resists to come in on, but it is kept in check by it's weaknesses to two of the most common attacking types in the game, not to mention hitting a grand total of 2 types super effective with it's STAB moves. Also, I'm sure the artwork could be done in a way that makes most support moves fit flavorwise.

2. Electric: I've also always thought this would be a cool typing. It has a ton of resistances, and the 4x ground weakness helps ensure that it won't be broken, and allows us to deck it out with some great stats and movepool options. I think this typing could yield some extremely cool concepts once the art poll starts.

For one, they could roll (unless it's one of those square ones). Seriously though, batteries can't move themselves via psychic power.

I've got nothing left to say, so just counter my post and win. I'm done arguing for this poll for this particular topic.
I'm not arguing, just discussing vehemently :P

Anyway, I like the Poison/Rock idea if Poison/Electric doesn't win. For anyone that's been counting, I'm about to edit my first post in this topic.

Dragon
I think we need more dragons that do more than rampage through teams. I would like to see a dragon use utility moves.
No secondary type
I think Poison is fine on its own. Anything else would just add more common weaknesses. This would be first, but I really like dragons.

If people aren't crazy about the computer virus or battery for Electric/Poison, jellyfish, tailess whip scorpion, and a cross between an electric eel and a snake would work.

ah, how the hell does one cram poison and electric into one pokemon in the first place? What pokedex entry can possibly explain something like that? I'd like at least one feasible suggestion for how that would work. if everyone's just going to rattle off about resistances. Slycant was a stretch, but poison/electric is like the two most impossible types to try to mesh together...

ah, how the hell does one cram poison and electric into one pokemon in the first place? What pokedex entry can possibly explain something like that? I'd like at least one feasible suggestion for how that would work. if everyone's just going to rattle off about resistances. Slycant was a stretch, but poison/electric is like the two most impossible types to try to mesh together...
Look at my post right before yours, and I'm sure we're creative enough to think of a Pokedex entry.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
1. Water: I'm not really sure why people are hesitant about this typing? Sure, tenatcruel has the same typing, but still, this combo has quite a bit of potential. 7 resists is nothing to scoff at. Keeping a fighting resist is important to resist both of heracross's STAB attacks, something dark doesn't do. It also is weak to electric (I hardly see bolt beamers these days), psychic (which is used more with starmies now with revenankh, but still is used pretty hesitantly with its so-so coverage), and ground (but stays clear of the 4x weak that many here are suggesting). I really dig 7 resists, though.

2. Dragon: Also has 7 resists, but has an ice weak. Thankfully, the CaP server has less garchomp usage than the main server from what I have seen, but most teams keep an ice user or two, making it weaker in a sense with a weakness to a type most carry.

Well, those are my thoughts.

Monotremes, hell yes.

No secoundary type
It would be nice to see how a single type could preform for a change. I would prefer a pokemon that can switch in on anything and I think ensuring it has the defence to switch in on non stabbed earthquakes and survive would be ideal.

Steel

That said if we have to have a secoundary type. I would pick steel. It would let it switch in on almost everything and shrug it off, baring earthquakes and stabbed fire attacks, giving it time to do whatever its suppose to do.

Plus we could get a polluting factory/machine pokemon design,which helps the whole utility aspect visually.

No secondary type

As i said before, we simply don't have enough decent pure-Poison types out there (aside from Weezing, there isn't much to work with).

I made a whole big argument in the last thread saying just that, actually. Whee!

Still, on the other side of the fence, I do agree with what DougJustDoug has said. No matter what typing we come up with, even if it might still be evident in the end that we just crammed two types that didn't mesh very well together the best we could? Someone's still going to think of something great. A Computer Virus Pokemon doesn't sound very appealing to me, but this is just the start of the creative process, and at least it's something.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
No secondary Typing

I just don't like many of the other options. Electric is kind of meh to me. Steel I don't like either. SR weaks are not high on my list of "Things this Pokemon should have" so that rules out a few.

Poison / Ground
Twave immunity + Toxic Immunity + SR Resist + Sandstorm immunity. Awesome sauce.

Do you mean mercury sludge? Mercury is liquid at room temperature so lead would work better if you want it to be solid (I usually don't think of sludge as being fast). Mercury sludge seems like a good idea though.

Dark: It would only have one weakness and can be a dark resistant trick room and perish song and an anti-ghost rapid spinner.

Not sure of the second vote. Rock, steel, and electric all seem good. Ground could also use gravity and then stab EQ, if we want it to do that.
My second vote is Steel: It's already been said.
Use the edit function don't space your votes 5 posts apart. Failing to do this will result in your vote not being counted. Mainly because I won't be arsed looking for your second vote.

1.Rock
2.None

Rock Gives it a bunch of uncommon weakness's, one Crippling yet easily predicted weakness, and another one that doesn't do it favors.

However, it gets a Sp. Defense boost in the sand, and a few nice resists.Not to mention, It gets access to several support moves(Stealth rock,Spikes,Toxic Spikes, Gravity maybe), absorbs toxic spikes on entry,
works great in sandstorm, and isn't an Imposible to do concept.(Ancient Poisonous lizard in Rock Armor FTW). It woudn't Break the concept, if it got a movepool like Pyroak's(Absolutely NO good Atk/Sp. Atk boosting moves), forcing it to be Utility, with a nice ability to strike back.

Changed my votes towards:

1. Poison/Ground
This typing resistances can be very useful in today's metagame. SR resistances, Sandstorm and Toxic immunity, and plenty more useful things on it.

2. Poison/Dragon
Reason behind this type combo have already been discussed by others, but I would like to add that a defensive dragon in OU would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)