BSS Zygarde-C

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Zygarde @ Life Orb
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage / Stone Edge
- Grass Knot / Stone Edge / Superpower

Zygarde is known for being a slow set-up sweeper with Coil, but with Dragon Dance, Zygarde becomes a vicious Dynamax sweeper that flips the script on its usual checks! With the extra power of Life Orb, Zygarde is capable of slicing bulky Zacian-C with +1 Thousand Arrows. Outrage is Zygarde's strongest attack, and Max Wyrmwind's debuff helps Zygarde's ability to weather physical assaults. Stone Edge smacks Ho-Oh, Zapdos, and Shedinja. Grass Knot lets Zygarde OHKO Quagsire with Max Overgrowth and bypass Counter + Focus Sash users like Gastrodon and both Urshifu formes. Superpower covers Porygon2 and Ferrothorn, and Max Knuckle gives a way to boost Attack while in Dynamax. While Zygarde has excellent bulk after transforming into Zygarde-C, dual screens support from the likes of Grimmsnarl helps it tank strong attacks while boosting. Trick Mimikyu and Calyrex-S are good teammates who excel at creating opportunities for Zygarde to set up. Ferrothorn checks several prominent threats to Zygarde, notably Quagsire if Zygarde lacks Grass Knot. Gothitelle excels at trapping defensive Pokemon such as Quagsire, while Shedinja helps check Zacian-C and Kyogre.

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Got this ready for a QC check, sorry that it took an extra day! Tox greilmercenary9 highlighting you two since you check a lot of stuff! Just a few notes

- I realize some high ranked teams have used Superpower Zygarde before, but Superpower generally doesn't go great with Grass Knot due to coverage issues while Dynamaxed, so I left it out.

- I mostly focused on teammates that help Zygarde set up, but let me know if there's other ones you think may be more important!

The writeup looks very good already, but there are a couple of quick details to cover here:

First, I would change the last two slashes to either Grass Knot/Stone Edge and Outrage/Grass Knot/Stone Edge or just slash all three in both slots. While I would prefer not to overuse slashes there, and GK is probably one of the strongest options theoretically for this kind of set, in practical play the top LO Zygarde teams last season all preferred Stone Edge, Outrage, or even Superpower or Rock Slide to Grass Knot. (I would probably keep Superpower to a mention, but it could also possibly fit in the last slash on the last slot if you wanted to go something like GK/Outrage/SE on the 3rd slot and Outrage/SE/Superpower in the 4th slot). Ho-Oh is a clear and present danger especially in max wars where Max Quake isn't helping, getting through Shed is a nice bonus for a lot of builds, Superpower hits P2 and Ferro and gives Max Knuckle access, and lacking Dragon coverage also misses some important targets, so while GK is absolutely critical for deleting Water/Grounds, and Quagsire in particular, something has to be left out. I'm not sure how to be super concise in mentioning that, but I do think the 4MSS is worth at least a quick mention.

Second, this Zygarde set is great for surprising stuff that can normally tank the more common but much slower and more deliberate Coil Zygarde sets. As such, the value of this set often being able to break Coil Zygarde checks (including the aformentioned Quagsire with Grass Knot, which I am sad to say I have been on the receiving end of more than once) is extremely valuable for many builds, and the contrast to the slower pace of Coil Zygarde is a huge boon for this set in general. Another specific benefit is the ability to KO even bulky Zacian-C builds at +1, which can cause problems for slower paced Zygarde sets that do not effectively debilitate it.

Lastly, with regard to teammates, Mimikyu definitely deserves its mention above and Caly-S is a good restricted partner, but Ferrothorn also deserves a mention as a partner to Zygarde on the top 2 LO Zygarde teams on Nouth from last season that does a great job of checking most offensive threats to Zygarde, while Gothitelle was also on one of those teams and is an excellent choice for LO Zygarde that forego Grass Knot to checkmate Quagsire that come to try to stop it. Speaking of Shedinja, it also might be mentioned, as some of those offensive threats to Zygarde, such as Zacian-C and Xerneas, often have trouble hitting it, although as always lure sets are a danger for Shed.

Once these elements are implemented in a concise fashion, consider this QC 1/1.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Thank you so much for the in-depth check! I changed the writing quite a bit to fit in everything. I decided to change the slash ins to be a bit different, with the last one being Grass Knot / Stone Edge / Superpower. As excellent as Grass Knot is, I slashed it in with Superpower because, you don't want to use Grass Knot and Superpower together, because this makes Zygarde totally walled by Ho-Oh during Dynamax wars, which is a huge bummer. So imo, Grass Knot works best with either Outrage or Stone Edge.

Whoever GPs this, note that unfortunately I didn't quite meet the character limit, it's about 140 characters above 1000 or so. I'm sure things can be made more concise as usual, but if the character limit still doesn't get to quite an acceptable level, I'll certainly work with everyone to find out what info can be cut the most!

Anyways, GP Team do your thing!

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Zygarde @ Life Orb
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage / Stone Edge
- Grass Knot / Stone Edge / Superpower

Zygarde is known for being a slow set-up sweeper with Coil, but with Dragon Dance, Zygarde becomes a vicious Dynamax sweeper that flips the scriptables on its usual checks! With the extra power of Life Orb, Zygarde is capable of slicing bulky Zacian-C with +1 Thousand Arrows. Outrage is Zygarde's strongest attack, and Max Wyrmwind's debuff helps Zygarde's ability to weather physical assaults. Stone Edge smacks Ho-Oh, Zapdos, and Shedinja. Grass Knot lets Zygarde OHKO Quagsire with Max Overgrowth and bypass Counter + Focus Sash users like Gastrodon and Urshifu,. Superpower covers Porygon2 and Ferrothorn, and Max Knuckle gives a way to boost aAttack while in Dynamax. While Zygarde has excellent bulk after transforming into Zygarde-C, dual screens support from the likes of Grimmsnarl helps it tank strong attacks while boosting. Trick Mimikyu and Calyrex-S are good teammates who excel at creating opportunities for Zygarde to set up. Ferrothorn checks several prominent threats to Zygarde, notably Quagsire if lackingZygarde lacks Grass Knot. Gothitelle excels at trapping defensive Pokemon such as Quagsire, while Shedinja helps check Zacian-C and Kyogre.

1/1

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Theorymon can you specify which Urshifu forme you're referring to in this sentence?

Grass Knot lets Zygarde OHKO Quagsire with Max Overgrowth and bypass Counter + Focus Sash users like Gastrodon and Urshifu
If it's watershifu just make it say Urshifu-R, or Urshifu-S if it's the other one. If it's both then make it say "both Urshifu formes"

Theorymon

Theorymon can you specify which Urshifu forme you're referring to in this sentence?

If it's watershifu just make it say Urshifu-R, or Urshifu-S if it's the other one. If it's both then make it say "both Urshifu formes"
It was both Urshifu formes, this has been corrected!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)