Tournament ZUPL IV - Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Last edited:

Oathkeeper

is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
#1 Cursed Trevenants (0) vs. (0) To Pimp A Butterfree #2
SS: avarice vs. Jett
SS: PrinceOfAllTacos vs. ProDigeZz
SS: beauts vs. clean
SM: pokemonisfun vs. Xayah
SM: Dj Breloominati♬ vs. Finchinator
ORAS: a fruitshop owner vs. Raichy
BW: TPP vs. SoulWind
DPP: neomon vs. Beraldinho

Last edited:

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
LET'S GO WE WON IT ALL

Quick shoutouts

TWiTT Drud Thanks for the confidence in drafting and throughout the tour. I appreciate being given a break throughout regular season, really helped me with relearning the tier. Happy to come back in semifinals and finals, thank you so much, really appreciate it.

Finchinator You were busy but still a top tier player, I appreciate you taking the teams and rolling with them, even if they weren't exactly perfect.

omicorio SuperEpicAmpharos Stepping in where it mattered, love you guys.

Mintly Hitmonstars 5gen Quagg Thanks for teambuilding help, super helpful to pick stuff back up.

BaitWiz You're a legend man. Not the biggest impact on our SM side, but you were super active in the SS slots and that's really nice to see. Good luck in the future, even if I just end up quitting until SV release again. Honorary butterfree from day 1 deserves a custom avi too.

I have a ton of appreciation for all butterfrees, this tour got my passion for ZU going again. We have a lot of stuff to fix in every meta but god is this community fun. I'm happy to be back, at least for now.

Now San Bwanna. GO BUTTERFREES

Oathkeeper

Congrats to Butterfree for winning ZUPL IV!!!
:ss/butterfree: :ss/butterfree: :ss/butterfree:

I'm glad I was able to host this tour for 3 straight years after playing the inaugural edition of it with BloodAce's team. With that in mind, I will NOT be hosting it after this one. I do love the ZU community due to my time playing in the SM days, but sometimes hosting a team tour like this can be a burden for the host and I'd rather keep my friendships with you guys intact and I'm sure you guys do too! I do plan to try out and play in ZUPL V when it rolls around, so I'm looking forward to that! I think we can all thank Ticken for the absolutely wonderful spreadsheet he drew up for us. It helped so much. Thanks to Tuthur and S1nn0hC0nfirm3d for letting me host this tour again. Finally, thanks to Lalaya for being an awesome co-host. Looking forward to the next time we end up hosting (or playing) in a tour :blobthumbsup:

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
First and foremost: grats to the :butterfree: for winning the tour, a spectacular show from start to finish! Drud, this is the second PL I see you win this year, and both are very deserved, keep it up chief (istg if you ask for another Drake avatar I will call a Predator strike on your house)

Now, for my closing remarks:
Honestly, the weeks preceding the tours were kind of a nightmare for me, I can't possibly sweeten this up: constantly between two factions, with people not letting me do my job as host, and the general dislike of every format or combination we tried to propose; then, when we picked the managers it got even worse as people outside of the community interfered, and as much as I said it was very hard as a decision to take, I'm not regretting the initial decision; if anything, Drud was the person that I would have had to drop from the tournament according to most people and he literally won it!
I'm obviously sorry for btboy because it looked like he wasn't getting "rewarded" for his actions for the community, sure (find another one that not only dumps a buttload of money but also ran the council for it), but it was genuinely hard trying to make a pick between all the parties involved, and we went for it based on initial feedback; the move to 8 teams only made it worse, in how it was done and how limited time I had to do it, alongside the change in the format to double SM. After that it was mostly smooth sailing, but this was a disorganized, unwelcoming mess from the start (and I was warned about it, anyway).
Still, this is not something I regret, because I learned a lot from this, as well as developing insane amounts of patience, and AFTER the pre-tour drama it went really fine overall and I have nothing to say except thanks for the managers involved for being reasonable people for the most part, thanks to Oathkeeper for co-hosting and thanks to Tuthur for asking me to host this (and S1nn0hC0nfirm3d for helping bridging the community a bit, while Tuthur was in open crossfire). Hopefully ZU can learn from this experience and grow as a tier and as a community, and have a good time next year!

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Scuffed shoutouts incoming:

Super happy that we won, I put a lot of effort into this tour building like 100 teams+ (albeit many were scuffed) with more than 20 being used in actual ZUPL games. As the tour dragged on, I was honestly super burnt out so I'm glad it all paid off and now that I can finally rest. I couldn't have done this without my teammates carrying me playing wise as they were consistently popping off in their respective slots and the support I received from my managers.

Drud Firstly, apologies for saying you don't deserve to manage over some of the managers which weren't picked in the original six, woat take from past Jett. Regardless I was pretty surprised you did end up snagging me for the low price of 13k, after my "trolling" in ladder tour and the fact that we barely interacted prior to ZUPL. The team you drafted was beyond broken and with you leading, after the small hiccup in week 2, it felt like we could not be stopped. While I do wish I had a bit more help from you teambuilding wise (mostly because of your focus on other tours which is completely understandable), I think that you more than made up for it with the volume of games you'd test with us regardless of the tier, especially in SS where my motivation to play the Toxic Heal Bell meta went down the drain midway through this tour. Your criticism on my play in particular was always super valuable since I'm pretty awful when it comes to dealing with pressure, especially for the finals.

TWiTT Back to back ZUPL wins. Honestly your support in old gens is straight up unfair for other teams and it was nice having you help me in some of the weeks in the SS slots too, despite it not being something you really play often. You always said you were busy but would still manage to pump out teams all the time for many of our slots. It also helped a lot talking to you when things weren't exactly going right this tournament, SS started off horribly for us, 1-7 record at its worst, but we turned it around into a 15-12 in the end I believe, and you were a large part of that process. Definitely glad that you were the person I knew well on the team before the tournament started.

clean I knew Tuthur passed you a team for LT which was mine and you said you liked it so I knew from the very start this would work out. Early weeks were rough, but then you just started winning, and except for the time that you got cheesed because Eterrain dumb, I think it went super well, so thanks for carrying despite my teams being a bit :worrywhirl: at times. So many wack ideas that weren't brought due to our indecision LOL but it was definitely a super fun process.

Herv Unfortunate how things didn't exactly pan out for you to get a win, super close in Week 7 and my bad for the awful mu week 2. You were still supporting us as the tour went on despite being on the bench and posting "im playing now" in general, which I still never figured out for what tour but it always gave me a good laugh.

Mimikyu Stardust rip. Free my mans. Thanks for sticking around and helping us with tests and building despite the fact you were officially off the team, but to me you remained a part the whole way through. Sad you never got the chance to get the win you deserved and I wish you the best of luck when you're freed.

ProDigeZz I don't even know how you went undrafted, it's actually insane. Glad you were happy to play for us when the opportunity arose and you certainly rose up to the occasion. Your 5-0 record was a large reason why we managed to turn around the shaky SS start as we quickly racked up 2-1 wins and even our first 3-0 week in the finals. Thanks for carrying me and my teams.

Finchinator You're a busy guy, got haxed a bunch, 1 week we had issues with the team so the matchup was unwinnable and you still ended up with a solid record and put on a solid performance. I don't exactly know much about SM so we never talked much but very happy that we had your experience on the team and hope your many other tours go just as well for you.

Xayah Honestly, wasn't sure what to think initially when you were the main SM builder since (from my understanding) you weren't exactly the most in touch with SM/mons until recently again but you definitely pulled through despite the fact the tier seems like a bit of a pain to build given there are so many different threats to account for. Also some important wins were picked up by you when it seemed like SM2 was struggling for us so I'm happy you decided to sub back in.

omicorio Pretty funny we ended up in the same team cord again since OMPL and ZUPL were the only two I signed up for this year. Thanks for filling in when needed. Also thanks for supporting us always despite not having to play that often.

Raichy Insane ORAS ZU record, only beaten out by Mr #1c0nfirmed who will perma brag about it but at least you're cooler than him. ORAS ZU pool is usually dominated by like ho3n, 5gen and fruits and considered quite stacked so the fact you manage to compete with them first try and is pretty nutty. Again a massive part of why we won this tournament.

SoulWind Clutched up big time during the early weeks which allowed us to chill more during the later weeks and prepare teams for playoffs. Despite the end of the tour being rougher, you were still an absolute beast for us.

SuperEpicAmpharos Glad you managed to get the win in BW in the end. Thanks for filling in for multiple slots as well as building for our BW slot. Maybe you didn't get to play BW as much as you wanted to so I hope for next time you do get to do so.

Beraldinho I saw you were on a tear in other DPP lower tiers and ZU was not an exception to that rule. Best DPP record in the tour and coulda been better if it weren't for the hax. Super impressed with how you picked up the tier and built for yourself after just the first week. Similar to Raichy and Prodige, having these near auto wins was nice so I could play badly once in a while and get away with it.

BaitWiz Was basically a Butterfree from W1, had a lot of creative ideas and while I'm pretty strict and boring and disapproved a lot of them, some of them were genuinely good and I think there was quite a lot that we could have potentially brought to some of our games and given us more of an edge. Appreciate you stuck around the entire time to help us with building and games, and I hope you had an enjoyable experience. I'm sure you'll get picked up next year.

Tuthur Helped me a ton with teams even before his team was out. Massive thank you the tests and the advice, and for being a good friend as always.

Danny Corthius Thanks for being tester #2 and #3 outside of my team. Corthius should learn from Danny and be more skilled and less lucky when playing me though.

Quagg 5gen S1nn0hC0nfirm3d Mintly Hitmonstars Goblin Helped other tiers which I super appreciate since I only really know SS and BW to an extent lol. Thanks a lot of improving the squads we brought especially during playoffs.

@ZUPL III pekos, it is 2am and I'm tired so no individual pings causs too many but you get a shoutout tho for being some of my best friends on the site and the whole rivarly due to us splitting up onto different teams made the tour more fun. Also someone please find Toto where he gone ;;

And really importantly:
Lalaya Oathkeeper Thanks for hosting this ZUPL, it definitely wasn't easy given the constantly drama between multiple parties but we made it in the end. Super underappreciated role that allowed the rest of us to have so much fun. Honestly, after the initial mess it went fine for the most part but yknow don't know if you wanna do this again next year LOL.

That's it from me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)