Tournament ZUPL IV - Commencement Thread

e: first part of my post was rather inappropriate. i apologize. i do think the merits of the other managers in contention for the spots have a valid argument over the morpekos. it was a hard call but i understand why the decision was made.

hosts made a tough judgement call in good faith with reasonings, even if i disagree with the decision im confident in their logic behind it

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Not here for the btboy crusade (altho I do feel he deserves a team) - mostly just wanted to ask why this is a 6 team PL. I understand this is usually for smaller tiers so they can actually support their playerbase, but ZU is seeing a boom of growth atm as evidenced by a large amount of competent manager signups & the success of the breadwinners tournament. It's very, very unlikely that there aren't enough player signups to facilitate this, and it'd give the tour a much better sense of legitimacy (6 team PLs are genuinely awful for everyone involved).

I'm not attempting to criticise auth whatsoever here; I ask this as someone hoping to play BW ZU in this tournament so I'm not just trying to stir stuff. From what I can tell, there are two (edit for clarity: currently unpicked) very strong manager pairs (a fruitshop owner / greybaum & toto / btboy) with community involvement, so it's just a question of player signups, which already seem to be doing great. Could someone inform me why this is the case please? Is it just legacy reasons / oversight or was this a conscious choice?

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You’re doing a great job btboy and you are the person that comes to mind when I think of Zu. Looking at your posts and everything you’ve hosted, I think you’d be a great representative of this community. Keep up the great work <3

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Not here for the btboy crusade (altho I do feel he deserves a team) - mostly just wanted to ask why this is a 6 team PL. I understand this is usually for smaller tiers so they can actually support their playerbase, but ZU is seeing a boom of growth atm as evidenced by a large amount of competent manager signups & the success of the breadwinners tournament. It's very, very unlikely that there aren't enough player signups to facilitate this, and it'd give the tour a much better sense of legitimacy (6 team PLs are genuinely awful for everyone involved).
answering this by just saying blame Tuthur
Jokes aside, we hosts were still concerned with the amount of signups we are getting, since while the Breadwinners tournament happened, the amount of playerbase REMAINING after said tournament was concerning in a negative way (for the record, the BW Cup got almost double (63) the players of the other Cups in the ZU Classic (on average all 32-player tours except one), which is a good number of signups but VERY, VERY far from the amount of signups of the Breadwinners - obviously, not expecting a miracle here)
It's just the translations in playerbase of the Breadwinners (and the fact that only BW in the end got involved, its not like the playerbase involved wants to dive in other ZU all at once, assuming in a lot of players from there remaining) and the fact that BW in the end is only one slot (we discussed plenty about a second BW slot both in thread and especially in the ZU Discord but that wasn't met with huge consensus, which also tipped us into noticing that there wasn't much left from the Breadwinners) that turned us off in doing a 8-team tour, although we're open in expanding the roster with enough signups

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
answering this by just saying blame Tuthur
Jokes aside, we hosts were still concerned with the amount of signups we are getting, since while the Breadwinners tournament happened, the amount of playerbase REMAINING after said tournament was concerning in a negative way (for the record, the BW Cup got almost double the players of the other Cups in the ZU Classic, which is a good number of signups but VERY, VERY far from the amount of signups of the Breadwinners - obviously)
It's just the translations in playerbase of the Breadwinners (and the fact that only BW in the end got involved, its not like the playerbase involved wants to dive in other ZU all at once, assuming in a lot of players from there remaining) and the fact that BW in the end is only one slot (we discussed plenty about a second BW slot both in thread and especially in the ZU Discord but that wasn't met with huge consensus, which also tipped us into noticing that there wasn't much left from the Breadwinners) that turned us off in doing a 8-team tour, although we're open in expanding the roster
I get that of course this isn't gonna get nearly as many players as the breadwinners tour, but I don't really see the issue there tbh. You only need 8 (16? I heard somewhere that there were 2 bw slots but I'm not sure - this'll be my first ZUPL, apologies) starters, which isn't too hard to get for any oldgen. Sure, there probably aren't 8/16 dpp players or oras players, but you are pretty likely to get miscellaneous tournament players who end up playing the tier with a little support, which further breathes life into it. This is how I got into BW PU for instance, and I'm far from an isolated case.

Naturally SS will not be an issue - 24 starting slots shouldn't be an issue even just by drafting the ZU community, and that doesn't even account for the random tournament players that'll sign up too! You guys have 50 signups in 3 hours already - that's a ton - and will get a bunch more not only because ZU is much more on the map, but also because of the CA prize anyway. I really, really recommend trying the transition to 8 teams. You'll satisfy the clearly problematic btboy outrage (I don't claim to know what's happening there, ofc, but ignoring the problem won't make it go away), take on another manager pair with a history of success, and more prospecting ZUers will get an opportunity to play. There's no real downside imo. You're definitely gonna get the signups.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
I get that of course this isn't gonna get nearly as many players as the breadwinners tour, but I don't really see the issue there tbh. You only need 8 (16? I heard somewhere that there were 2 bw slots but I'm not sure - this'll be my first ZUPL, apologies) starters, which isn't too hard to get for any oldgen. Sure, there probably aren't 8/16 dpp players or oras players, but you are pretty likely to get miscellaneous tournament players who end up playing the tier with a little support, which further breathes life into it. This is how I got into BW PU for instance, and I'm far from an isolated case.
A lot of the backlash against the second BW (which came from ZU mainers, mind you) was exactly the possible lack of 16 starters, and the discussion that went until basically yesterday (we still weren't completely sure about the format) was the building part, since it was a complain that got ported from the last ZUPL (which, obviously, I have no context for but still I can read and hear)
Obviously I'm taking account of the amount of random signups that just the CA prize can get, as well as the potential breadwinner pool, but specifically on BW we weren't sure at all if we (hosts, players, potential managers) would even get the starters for a second BW slot

I agree the signups can definitely be enough to switch to eight teams seeing the numbers, though, and we'll keep a close eye on that (and if these numbers go up at this rate I can say: expect the two added teams soon
we'd have to axe retains for this year, but it's feasible)

(I don't claim to know what's happening there, ofc, but ignoring the problem won't make it go away)
Unfortunately not, but we hosts had reasons to get the six we picked and as I reiterated multiple times in the ZU Discord it was a painful decision to pick, but with enough context about the potential picks we deemed that the current six were the most qualified for a slot, without faulting anyone (if anything, I would still have to discuss the potential extra two since this ZUPL's manager signups were the best in any ZUPL so far)

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
mostly just wanted to ask why this is a 6 team PL.
As a follow up on this, we have taken in consideration the proposal made by Lily and supported by a fair share of players, and discussed about it with the managers, alongside the possible format a 8-team PL would have, and we'll share a definitive answer soon. The main concerns and issues sprang up with these proposals are the burnout of the ZU mainers, especially on teambuilding, and inability to fill more than one oldgen spot in any oldgen ZU tier (you're free to read the format discussion thread, as well as the last ZUPL one, or join the ZU discord). We believe that its better to wait to mitigate any issues a drastic decision such as changing the whole format would impact the integrity of the tournament, and to make a more educated guess after we collect more signups.

We want to stress that we want you, dear reader, to signup because you genuinely enjoy the tier, or enjoy playing in our tournament, and not just as a necessity, or as a feeling in how the tour should be ran.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
mocc 1 done

zuplmocc1.png

a fruitshop owner20000
Finchinator17500
august17000
Jett16000
TJ16000
Xayah15000
Lily15000
Heysup15000
Greybaum13500
5Dots13500
EviGaro12500
Louna12000
Corthius12000
Togkey12000
wooper12000
beauts11500
Apagogie11000
pichus11000
LPY11000
crying11000
SuperEpicAmpharos10000
avarice10000
Aaronboyer9500
tlenit9500
innovamania9000
Procrastinasian9000
Shaneghoul9000
roxiee9000
JonAmon 259000
PrinceOfAllTacos8500
Quagg8000
TheKingKarp7500
MZ7500
RawMelon7500
Albi7500
Descending7000
viet noa7000
85percent7000
jonfilch7000
neomon7000
Clementine6500
terreitor6000
Beraldinho5000
Hervalt5000
Mr.Bossaru4500
JdRDMS4500
Mihowk4000
Eivor4000
Ren-chon4000
Huargensy4000
Mom Lover3000
BaitWiz3000
Baloor3000
-Tsunami-3000
Amberr3000
Nol3000
Beka3000
Monai3000
ojr3000
clean3000

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
mocc 2

Annotation 2022-06-29 181154.png

Jett23000
a fruitshop owner21000
august20000
Heysup18000
Corthius17500
TJ15000
Finchinator14500
Lily14500
beauts14000
EviGaro14000
85percent13500
Greybaum13500
JonAmon 2513000
5Dots12500
Xayah11500
tlenit11000
Kristyl10000
PrinceOfAllTacos10000
Quagg10000
Shaneghoul10000
avarice10000
wooper9500
Apagogie9500
-Tsunami-9500
LPY9000
crying8000
Beraldinho8000
Togkey8000
Chokepic8000
bigpokkyboy8000
dunoks7500
Aaronboyer7000
RawMelon7000
SuperEpicAmpharos7000
Alkione6500
JabbaTheGriffin6500
Albi6000
viet noa6000
Procrastinasian6000
roxiee5500
QuinnXD5500
Amberr5500
Monai5000
Hitmonstars5000
ojr5000
Mr.Bossaru5000
pichus4500
TheKingKarp4500
Hervalt4500
Beka4000
MZ4000
omicorio4000
jonfilch3500
terreitor3500
giove973000
eu3000
Huargensy3000
innovamania3000
Paratrooper693000
Clementine3000
Nol3000
emma3000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)