Tournament ZU Olympiad I - Commencement thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1672656805129.png

Art made by skrimps <3

ZU Olympiads I Commencement thread

This thread will contain information regarding the tournament and auction format, managers and their teams, rosters, and schedule. Decisions and announcements will also be communicated here. This first Olympiads iteration will be hosted by Xayah and yours faithfully.

Important Rules:
  1. Managers can have one Assistant Manager each.
  2. Only one of either the Manager or the Assistant Manager is allowed to selfbuy.
  3. Each team will have a minimum of twelve players (eight starters and four subs), and a maximum of eighteen players.
  4. Players may not be traded at any point.
Tier Lineup:
  • SS ZU
  • SS ZU
  • SM ZU (suspect)
  • ORAS ZU
  • BW ZU
  • DPP ZU
  • ADV ZU
  • GSC ZU
  1. Manager sign up thread: 02/01/2023 lasts one week
  2. Player sign up thread: 02/01/2023 latsts two weeks
  3. Regular season: 16/01/2023

Each team will have one manager, and the total number of teams will be based on the number of sign ups. Managers can have one Assistant Manager each, but only one of the two is allowed to selfbuy. The pricing for managers is a fixed 15k and all teams will have 100k credits.

The live auction will happen at a date which will be announced soon.

The auction will be held in the Olympiads room on Showdown (TBD). Spectators are allowed to join, but will not be able to speak. Discussion can instead happen in the ZU room or the ZU discord.

In a randomized snaking pattern (A-B-C-D-D-C-B-A), Managers will nominate players from the pool. With the nominating Manager automatically placing a first bid of 3000 credits. After a player has been nominated, all Managers can bid, raising the last bid by a minimum of 500. After 10 seconds without any bids, the player is sold to the Manager with the highest bid.

During the auction, the updated credits will be displayed, including the amount of credits a Manager will have to preserve in order to meet the minimum requirement of players, and including the maximum amount a Manager can spend on a single player.

Managers have to buy a roster of at least 8 starters and 4 substitutes, which makes a minimum of 12 players. This does include playing Managers and retained players. The maximum number of players a Manager can buy is 18. If a Manager buys more than 18 players, including playing Managers, then 18 players will randomly be chosen (17 in case of a playing Manager, excluding the Manager), and the rest will be removed.

Managers are expected to make the draft go as smoothly and quickly as possible. As such it is advised to enter the auction with a draft plan and potential backups. There will not be a midseason auction. There is no benefit in not using all your available credit.

The teams will play each other in a round robin format. Before each week starts, Managers have to submit a lineup. If no lineup is submitted, that of the previous week will be used (if this happens in week 1, a randomized one will be used). Once the lineups are submitted, the Hosts will announce the matchups, and the players have 1 week to complete their games. Important reminder that the replays are mandatory, the game will count as null if there's no replay posted.

If a team wins 5 or more out of 8 games, they win the week and receive 2 points. If they win 4 out of 8, they tie and receive 1 point. If they win 3 or less, they lose and receive 0 points.

After the round robin phase, the team with the most points will advance to finals, while the second and third placing teams will play another week for the remaining finals spot. In case of a tie, battle differential (number of individual wins - number of individual losses over the 5 weeks) will decide. If this is also a tie, the teams will play a tie breaker, consisting of 3 games. One of those will be chosen randomly. In addition, each team involved gets to choose a generation. If both teams end up choosing the same generation, we will randomly decide who gets the final pick.

Please also make sure to read the General Tournament Rules and Scheduling Guidelines.

Last edited:

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
As an aspiring ZU player of many gens, I will naturally be of high value in any team. So I'm gonna tell people I plan sign up but then not really sign up. It will be quite humorous. They will not get to see me lead the development of various metagames throughout tournament matches and teambuilds, despite expecting otherwise. Many managers will claim to have not intended to draft me in the first place, but they will be lying, attempting to cover up their moistened eyes. Other users may disagree with my high level of skill and intellect, as I deny their challenges or let them win, leaving them with the dissatisfaction of convincing themselves I am wrong. I shall build up many others' hopes and dreams of my contributions, just to shatter them on the day of draft when they realize I am unavailable for purchase. So, in conclusion, I plan to sign up.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
An important note that wasn’t properly reflected in the OP; there has been a lot of internal discussion regarding the SM slot in this tour, and it is highly likely that it will be turned into an SM Suspect slot, which will unban Throh and Type: Null. Tuthur can go into detail as to why this is being done, but that is the current plan.

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Following the survey and SM ZU Swanna discussion thread, the SM ZU council has been discussing possible tiering actions to improve the tier. As a reminder the average grade for the tier's competitivity of the tier was rated at 6.13 in a scale from 1 to 10 by the qualified playerbase, and at 6.61 globally, so it felt important to us to try new things.

There were two major complains about banning Swanna in SM ZU. The first one is that there is no guarantee a metagame without Swanna is any better than one with it. Tiering with Old Gens can prove to be very slow and it would be undesirable to turn SM ZU into a completely untested metagame. This is why we thought that this small unofficial team tournament would be the perfect occasion to test an alternative SM ZU metagame. The second complain was that banning Swanna would lead to an endless succession of bans in the tier, which is why instead of trying to ban some Pokemon to ZUBL, we ended up discussing the opposing route; freeing ZUBL Pokemon.

We discussed the 5 following Pokemon;
:sm/ursaring:
Ursaring had been banned very early in SM ZU history, when ZU didn't even have its own format on Smogon and Pokémon Showdown!. Seeing that is balanced in ORAS PU, a metagame that shares a lot of similarities with SM ZU, and that it doesn't make use of Z-moves, the main difference between both generations, we ended up playing a couple test games with it. However, it proved to be overly broken. The burn damage reduction made it too hard to OHKO, while Ursaring can pretty much OHKO everything, including the most common Normal-resists like Golem and Bronzor. So we quickly removed it from our discussions.

:sm/throh::sm/type_null:
Akin to Ursaring these two Pokemon were banned very early, before a lot of the current playerbase even started playing the tier. Both were principally banned for their defensive setup sets. However based on how offensive SM ZU now is, we started thinking they may not be as problematic as they used to. SM ZU has numberous of Fighting resistant threats like Swanna, Mareanie, and Beheeyem, that can in theory keep Throh in check, while Type:Null could struggle with how common Haze Mareanie and Knock Off users are, especially with Throh reintroduced too. Both Pokemon have major flaws that could exploited, namely their reliance on Rest as sole form of recovery. With SM ZU lacking solid walls, the defensive traits of these Pokemon could help balancing the tier.

:sm/exeggutor::sm/shiftry:
Both Pokemon were also mentionned in our discussions. Those were the last bans in SM ZU and with Type:Null and Throh being able to check Shiftry, Shiftry could have been given a chance. Likewise, with Shiftry and Type:Null in the tier, Exeggutor would be significantly nerfed and could proved to be balanced. However, Shiftry seemed still too dangerous and overcentralizing, so we opted to keep it quite simple, by just allowing Throh and Type:Null which are the two ones that have the most potential to be balanced in our opinion.

Keep in mind, this is not an official suspect test. There won't be any vote resulting of this tournament and it is just an opportunity SM ZU took to try a possible tiering action. We may follow with other similar tournaments and a formal suspect test if the playerbase approves this alternative format, but nothing is set in stone. I know a lot of people appreciate the current SM ZU metagame and wouldn't like anything to be touched, and they shouldn't worry about it. The official SM ZU format is kept unchanged and the SM ZU Cup will remain in the official format. This tournament just felt like the ideal moment to test possible tiering actions for SM ZU before taking any serious tiering action.

Last edited:
Team Name: THE PARADOX PABLOS (not to be confused with the tiny af troats)
Manager: PARADOX DurzaOffTopic
Assistant Manager: PARADOX TWiTT
Assistant to the Assistant Manager: PARADOX Corthius

Why you should let us manage: Despite my inexperience in the ZU managerial scene (this is unironic, as i am PARADOX Durza, which is the alternate wholesome and nice version of the verified racist and transphobic DurzaOffTopic you all know. I have no wish to take credit for the many impressive accomplishments and feats of the original Durza of this website, so I will be starting afresh.), I will have twitt by my side, who is well known for being the first pokemon player to ever lie his way to 2 consecutive trophies. However, this is PARADOX TWiTT, an alternate, more honorable version of TWiTT who is loyal to his friends and doesn't lie about his activity in order to decrease his draft stock. With my wholesome attitude (unleashed by Dr. Mirbro, who actually wrote his thesis for his doctorate program on me) and TWiTT's HONOR, we will be unstoppable.

Additionally, I am proposing that we be permitted to have a 3rd "manager" (don't make him feel bad, please) strictly in charge of communication with the French. Naturally, all team tours on Smogon have a French team in order to create good storylines, as they are the most convincing antagonists, and we are honored to have the brave PARADOX PABLO all the way at the Maginot Line holding down the eastern front. Actually, it is a little known fact that PARADOX PABLO'S bravery is the inspiration behind the team name, THE PARADOX PABLOS.

Additional accomplishments: Mickey Moused into Circuit Playoffs, just went 1st place in tft this morning

Attachments

First mocc
1672951570652.png

shaneghoul35000
czim25000
TJ25000
btboy20500
Heerv20000
BeatsBlack19500
Danny19000
Beraldinhoo18500
wild drud18000
5gen17000
Jett17000
MZ15500
sexywooper15000
5Dots15000
estarossa14500
innovamania14000
LPY13500
PandaDoux13000
Spitfire arcanine12000
Toy Time King11500
gorex11500
zause11000
Monai10000
Leru10000
deg10000
BloodAce8500
JonAmon 258500
Medeiaa8000
Staxi7500
Albi7000
Huargensy7000
HSOWA7000
xbossarux6500
Somalia6000
Hitmonstars6000
valentLne5500
SpacialRendevous5500
sasha n_n5000
LustfulLice5000
Sificon5000
Procrastinasian5000
Dragonillis5000
Lasen4500
Antares4000
JdRDMS4000
diegoyuhhi4000
curlyfrycaycay4000
Xrn4000
BaitWiz3500
Bornik dies3500
plznostep3500
DuGuo3500
BanBanb4doro3500
Cherbou3000
GarrettOnSmogon3000
risin_glory3000
Horodro3000
hunternoooob3000
GetSleidSun3000
sirwings3000
SadisticNarwhal3000
TwentyTwan3000
someidiot193000
Oathkeeper3000
pannuracotta3000
Inder3000

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Koffing Pokemon GIF - Koffing Pokemon - Discover & Share GIFs

Here at The Haze tm we give all our drafted members a free year's worth of Smogon Gold. PM Drud to claim your Smgon Gold

SS ZU: Zause
SS ZU: Getsleidsun
SM ZU: (suspect) Valentlne
ORAS ZU: MZ
BW ZU: DJ Breloominati
DPP ZU: Heerv
ADV ZU: plznostep
GSC ZU HunterNooob
Bench: Wild Drud, Blood Ace

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon

Dear Olympiad Participants,

The Purple Haze (PH) would like to invite potential future associates to join our discord link down below. We prioritize team synergy and a healthy team environment above all else. We strive for greatness and optimized builds. Yes, truly, here at The Purple Haze the question really isn't why should you come to play for us, but why shouldn't you. As manager, I would like to personally wish my competition the best of luck. You'll need it after we smoke you.
Sincerely, BP
CEO and Cofounder of The Purple Haze Inc.

• Excellent Old Gens Support​
  • A 401K plan of ADV and DPP teams for when you retire and can't build anymore​
  • Involved and competent management team and hype squad​
  • Productive Voice Calls and other team-building outlets​

By enrolling to join The Purple Haze you are recognized as an associate.
  1. As an associate, you recognize that The Purple Haze has no obligation to promote you to a player.
  2. As an associate, you understand that the only tryouts that will take place are within the gulag

Picsart_23-01-09_19-53-22-063.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the PARADOX PABLOS :scream_tail:

As the most experienced and successful manager pair in ZU history, we're hoping to have a motivated and strong environment for all of our players, so that we can have a fun tour for everyone!

If you would like to tryout for the inevitable winners of this tournament, please leave replays and resumes in this discord server. We will be lurking to see what is going on. TWiTT and I will not be accepting most tryouts via DM/PM.

It is a common misconception that TWiTT is one of the most knowledgeable old gens players and builders in ZU - if you haven't had the opportunity to play alongside him, here is a demonstration of his actual contributions.

I hope everyone will have a fun tour, but especially Corthius and Tuthur! :scream_tail:

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to the PARADOX PABLOS :scream_tail:

As the most experienced and successful manager pair in ZU history, we're hoping to have a motivated and strong environment for all of our players, so that we can have a fun tour for everyone!

If you would like to tryout for the inevitable winners of this tournament, please leave replays and resumes in this discord server. We will be lurking to see what is going on. TWiTT and I will not be accepting most tryouts via DM/PM.

It is a common misconception that TWiTT is one of the most knowledgeable old gens players and builders in ZU - if you haven't had the opportunity to play alongside him, here is a demonstration of his actual contributions.

I hope everyone will have a fun tour, but especially Corthius and Tuthur! :scream_tail:
Thanks! You too mate! :pimp:

OranBerryBlissey10

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
second mocc
1673561496091.png

OranBerryBlissey1023000
Shaneghoul22500
Danny20500
MZ20500
5gen20000
Heysup18500
Drud18000
Jett18000
TJ17000
Monai16000
BeatsBlack16000
czim15000
LPY14500
Medeia14000
innovamania13000
tlenit11500
Hitmonstars11000
JonAmon 2511000
RealJester11000
btboy10000
Albi10000
BaitWiz9500
wooper9000
clean9000
DEG8500
Huargensy8500
Dj Breloominati♬8500
Louna8000
Toy Time King8000
5Dots7000
Sirwings6500
plznostep6500
gorex6500
LustfulLice6000
terreitor6000
Herv6000
Estarossa6000
TomatoZause5500
SOMALIA5000
BloodAce4000
Beraldinho3500
maxbomb3000
VibrantCheese3000
FeraSaur3000
CaydenButBubbles?3000
JdRDMS3000
Mr.Bossaru3000
lemonstre13000
Lasen3000
Aaronboyer3000
PandaDoux3000
diego_yuhhi3000
Leru3000
sasha3000
Elfuseon3000
TWiTT3000
Inder3000
Procrastinasian3000
Sificon3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)