Project ZU Matchmaking! Week 5: Bronzor (Submissions)

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by 5gen and Xayah

(art courtesy of JustoonSmitts)

Hello there and welcome to ZU Matchmaking! This is a thread that was missing from the community and it will surely help current and new users when it comes to teambuilding.

What exactly is Matchmaking?

Exactly as it sounds. In this case, it's finding a partner for a particular Pokemon. Let's face it, that one Pokemon on a team cannot sweep properly, set up properly, or just do the job it was meant for without another Pokemon to help it out. Its problems need to be dealt with so it can do its job. For example, a sweeper on your team would be lucky to run into a team that it completely obliterates. In most situations though, that's not the case. The sweeper will need a partner to remove those potential problems. That's where brainstorming ideas can come to life in this thread.

Let me explain how the thread works. Each week, I will pick a Pokemon for you to find a good partner for. This will usually start on Sundays. You will have until Wednesday evening to submit these potential partners for the one that needs the love. You are allowed to submit just one possible partner and no more. Once the submission phase is over on Wednesday nights, I will begin the voting phase at that point. This phase will go until Saturday night. All you need to do is vote for the best possible partner. Meaning, vote for 1 of the submissions. At that point, I will award 2 points to top vote-getter and 1 point to the 2nd best vote-getter. Both of these submissions will be archived and the users will be put onto the Top Cupid leaderboard.

The user with the most points at the end of a period of time of my choosing will be crowned the Top Cupid for that session!

How to make a match?

All you guys and gals need to is simply nominate one Pokemon that would fit with the one that I post. A set for your submission isn't needed, but a good explanation of how and why it works with the bachelor Pokemon is needed.

I will say right now that only Pokemon that are listed on the Viability Rankings will be considered and allowed. If an unranked/unviable Pokemon is submitted, I will have to ignore it and subsequently delete it. Reservations are allowed in this thread. You will have up to 24 hours to revise the reservation post into your actual submission.

I'm just going to reiterate the stuff above so it sticks
1) Pick 1 Pokemon and 1 Pokemon only that you believe pairs well with the bachelor in question. If I see someone posting more than 1 or a "this or this" thing going, I will have the mods delete it.

2) The Pokemon you submit must be listed in the Viability Rankings. If it is not, it will be ignored and not considered in the voting process.

3) Reservations are allowed. Once your reservation is made, you will have up to 24 hours to revise the post into your submission. I will be keeping track of times so please be responsible here. If your reservation is deemed unfulfilled, I will allow others to use it.

4) Have fun! This thread is going to be just that, so let's do it.

This week's mon that needs some love

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, let's kick things off with our first bachelor Pokemon:

Shiftry @ Life Orb / Darkinium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Shiftry is arguably the best Grass-type this tier has and can do serious damage if you're not carrying the right mon to deal with it. It has at least 3 good sets and each one just causes problems for opposing teams. So, let's see what you guys and girls come up with as far as good partners go!

Swanna
Swanna @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog​
The biggest issue for Shiftry (especially when lacking Leaf Storm) are Silvally-Fighting, Mawile, Granbull, Shiinotic, Machoke and Monferno. Four of them are weak to Swanna´s STAB and the other two are frail on the special side. Additionally Swanna can remove the occasional Toxic Spikes to avoid unnecessary chip damage on Shiftry, whose life span is already limited through Life Orb recoil. Shiftry on the other hand helps Swanna out in threatening specially defensive Pokemon like Lickilicky and Bronzor.​

Last edited:

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus

Probopass

Probopass @ Heat Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Probopass @ Life Orb/Groundium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

These two sets do an admirable job in aiding Shiftry, although they both do entirely different things. Trapper Probopass aids the provided Shiftry set in dealing with Steel types that otherwise annoy it, in particular Mawile, which completely walls Swords Dance Shiftry. It also operates as a rocker and can pivot using Volt Switch. This set can potentially operate with both Life Orb and Groundium Z; it depends on what the team needs. The other set is my personal favorite lead for sun teams. This set sets up Sun and rocks before either using Toxic or Volt Switching out. A Timid Nature allows it to outspeed Adamant Golem, which is invaluable. Shiftry under the sun is a complete monster, and getting rocks and the Sun up allows this Shiftry to bring the pain, as the provided set outspeeds pretty much everything (barring stupid stuff like Scarf Electrode) when the sun is shining.

Last edited:

SBPC

stranded on an island
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reserving Mr Mime
shiftry-f-1.gif
<3
mrmime.gif

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Shiftry loves a nice partner in the rather off-putting Mr. Mime, due to Mime's excellent ability to come in and check fighting types like Silvally-Fighting, Monferno, and Machoke quite consistently, while being good speed control and having the ability to slap choice scarf onto defensive threats via Trick. But no good relationship is one sided, and that applies here, as Shiftry loves coming into the things that mime lures in, such as that pesky third-wheel Bronzor, or the bulky Beyeehem, making it easy for Shiftry to double in and get some major damage off for the team.

Last edited:

ImKoolKidz

I COULD BE BANNED!
I ship these two. Fire + Grass core is great, as Rapidash takes on Fire type moves for Shiftry, while Shiftry resists Ground for Rapidash. Of course, its defensive utility(provided by the following sets) are not the best, but its offensive coverage and STAB options are insane. I chose a Sub-Toxic Rapidash set, that can also be found on this team because not only is a great surprise factor, but it works out fantastic as well. A small change in the sets is Leaf Storm over Seed Bomb on Shiftry because it is the better move imo, since special STAB makes it harder for phys def mons to switch in. Naughty nature is also swapped for Jolly because Shiftry needs the extra attack power.
Juliet (Rapidash) (F) @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

Romeo (Shiftry) (M) @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

Last edited:

I've been fascinated by the idea of Zebstrika recently, and realized that it is actually the perfect offensive partner for Shiftry because it weakens, pivots on, or destroys their shared switchins and threatens almost all fast threats in the tier, which Shiftry often has to resort to playing Sucker Punch mindgames against. Zeb is threatening enough with Wild Charge/Tbolt that your opponent often has no choice but to switch to their Ground-immunity, which is invariably Golem or another Ground type that Shiftry can bop. Or you could just nuke Golem with Low Kick; your choice.

Zebstrika @ Choice Band
Ability: Motor Drive
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Low Kick
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

This core can handle every defensive Pokemon in the tier (if not independently then in combination with each other, as in the Machoke example below) and includes the option to pivot with Volt Switch if the opportunity presents itself or it is advantageous for getting Shiftry in and set up. In most circumstances, the core can also revenge-kill all non-scarfed offensive threats aside from +2 priority or super niche picks like Ninjask/Electrode/Dugtrio. It completely eats MareZor/Geist/Golem alive while providing meaningful offensive counterplay in the form of a strong 364 speed mon and SD + Sucker threat from Shiftry.

BloodAce

Untier Connoisseur
is a Tiering Contributor
Image result for oricorio baile sprite

One of Shiftry's most underrated yet best partners: Oricorio-Baile

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Oricorio @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Roost

Oricorio-Baile threatens the majority of Shiftry's common checks such as Mawile and Shiinotic as well as Fighting-types such as Silvally-Fighting, Monferno, Combusken, and Machoke thanks to its unique Fire- and Flying- typing. This typing is exploited by Stealth Rock however and this is where Shiftry returns the favor for Oricorio-Baile. Shiftry is one of the few Pokemon who threatens almost every common Stealth Rock user, including Golem, Sandslash, and Bronzor. Shiftry sets that run Defog in the 4th slot can also remove these hazards itself as the SR user retreats in fear of taking massive damage. Together, very few Pokemon can stand in their way, making them a phenomenal pair.

Katy

Banned deucer.
reserving Rotom Fan

Rotom_(Fan_Rotom).png
Rotom-Fan @ Mago Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-Fan provides a Bug and Flying resist for Shiftry as Shiftry has some trouble with them. Rotom-Fan helps against Tucannon and Pinsir and can provide a Fighting resist as well for it and can check
mons such as Fighting-Silvally, Monferno and Hakamo-o with its STAB Air Slash, which is also able to Flinch Monferno and Hakamo-o.
It can also help against Ninjask - which is a huge threat to Shiftry - with OHKOing it with either of its two STAB options, Volt-Switch is especially mentioned here, as it can provide Momentum as well in the process of KOing Ninjask.
Rotom-Fan can also help with Will-O-Wisp for Shiftry and the rest of its team as it can cripple down strong physical attackers during the game such as Mawile and Electivire.
Rotom-Fan can also Defog Hazards such as Stealth Rocks away, so Shiftry is able to come in healthy on the battlefield and can setup freely without having to worry about Hazards. Rotom-Fan due to Levitate is also able to freely Defog
Toxic-Spikes from Mareanie away and is able to pressure it with a strong hit from its STAB Volt-Switch.
In overall Rotom-Fan provides a lot of support for Shiftry so Shiftry has a rather easy time on the field without having to worry about Hazards.​

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Mareanie just forms a great balanced core with Shiftry. These two share great synergy too! Everything that Shiftry can't take, Mareanie can (ice, bug, fighting, fire, fairy, ice, poison). Likewise, Shiftry takes the stuff that Mareanie can't handle (psychic, ground, electric). I recently built a team with these two as a starting core and have seen nothing but success with it.

Alright, the voting phase for the inaugural week of this thread. Who partners best with our beloved friend Shiftry?
UserMateLink to Post
SBPC
Katy
Mareanie

Vote for 2 potential mates! Obviously, you cannot vote for your own.

85%'s Swanna and imkoolkidz's Rapidash​

Oathkeeper

Winners

:heart:

UserPokemon
Swanna (6 votes)
Mareanie (5 votes)

Shiftry is just a major threat in this tier. In fact, it was just promoted to S rank along with one of the winners here in Swanna and rightfully so. When you're teambuilding, you kind of have to prep for them.

Swanna - 6
Mareanie - 5
Rapidash - 3
Oricorio-Baile - 3
Rotom-Fan - 2
Mr.Mime - 1
Probopass - 0
Zebstrika - 0

Week 2
Our next bachelor Pokemon that needs some love is......

Combusken is just a nice threat with its Speed Boost ability. It can run a physical or special wallbreaking set. Eviolite does sound like a nice item for it but its true potential lies in a Z-item since its attacking stats are somewhat dry. It does get Swords Dance and Work Up though. How you guys and gals decide on who pairs with it is the fun. Go for it!

Komala

Komala @ Choice Band
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn

The defensive synergy between Komala and Combusken is pretty poor and both are very frail anyways. What makes them a good pair is how well Komala can soften up Combusken´s checks to enable it to clean later on. Very common defensive answers to Combusken like Mareanie, Altaria, Silvally-Water, Silvally-Dragon, Pyukumuku or a Golem at full health can´t withstand the sheer power of banded Komala. Additionally Combusken can support Komala by abusing its nemesis Gourgeist-Super. A well-timed U-turn on an incoming Gourgeist can put this pair in a very favorable position.

Last edited:

DnB

#DnB4608, its way easier on discord :>
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Combusken @ Eviolite/Firium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick/Sky Uppercut
- Protect/Thunderpunch

Rotom-Fan @ Flyinium Z/Iapapa Berry/Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Defog/Thunderbolt/Pain Split

Rotom-Fan and Combusken are great partners, since they cover most of each others weaknesses. SD Combuskens role is to clean in the endgame or punch big holes in midgame, Rotom supports it by threatening annoying bulky Pokemon like Sandslash or Golem with a burn, which makes it possible for Combusken to switch-in and live a hit or get an SD on them later without beeing KOed by EQ. Rotom is also a good answer against water types like Swanna or Mareanie and forces them to switch out, giving you the opportunity to Volt Switch and getting in Combusken for free. You can switch the items around however you like it, giving Combusken insane break potential with Z Flare Blitz or making Rotom better at tanking Knock Offs and be able to punch a hole into offensive teams with Z Air Slash. Rotom can even support Combusken even further with Defog to remove T-Spikes, or Thunderbolt for an even stronger electric stab. Pain Split is a great choice if you want to check Shiftry even better, since both Combusken and Rotom-Fan can come in on it and threaten it out, but its powerful stabs still hurt, Pain Split gives you the ability to heal Rotom back up and allowing it to switch in again.
Also this core fits on balance and offense teams, Rotom-Fan is really splashable and Combusken gets 1 kill per battle at least. And this core works even better if you combine it with more U-Turn/Volt Switch/Parting Shot users like Komala, Silvally Water or Purugly.

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
+

Kadabra @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Shadow Ball

LO Kadabra is a fantastic offensive partner to either SD or special Combusken thanks to its ability to check Poison-types and outspeed things like Swanna. Kadabra is also able to break past bulkier Pokemon such as Mareanie, Muk, Rotom-S, and Altaria for Combusken. On the other hand, Combusken checks Bronzor, Dark-types, and bulky Normal-types for Kadabra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)