ZeroFear Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is in the wrong location I apologize.

So, I'm new to smogon as well as online battles I know a few things, but nothing really relative. I'm trying to practice team building, but I don't really know what to look for when doing so. The threads posted by smogon were helpful, but I'm still a little bit confused. I'm trying to build a team that supports each other fairly well. I know no team can be perfect, but I'm going to try to get as close as possible. So, here's what i've been thinking so far for the beginning of a team.

Swampert
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Torrent
EV'S: 252 HP / 252 DEF
Moveset:
Earthquake / Stone Edge
Ice Beam / Surf
Stealth Rock / (Other)
Roar / (Other)

I've been reading that Swampert is not good as a wall, but can be very successful as a tank with the right movepool and support. I know there are other choices, but I still thought i'd give swampert a try anyway. He has excellent coverage, and while there are things that would make using him difficult, he still has his strong points and playing off of them will be key. Ice Beam is a nice counter for dragons, as well as grass types with proper prediction. If predicted correctly, a well placed roar would remove the grass threat upon entry, and while there would be a free turn of no damage for both players, the threat will have been removed. Although highly unlikely, an icebeam would 2HKO the returning grass type when considering stealth rock or other supports.

I'm unsure about this though. Maybe his lack of speed would be his downfall?

Scizor
Item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Techinician
EV'S: 252 ATK / 252 SPD
Moveset:
U-turn
Bullet Punch / Iron Head
Pursuit / SuperPower
Quick Attack

I want to use him as a scouter, and he also provides good coverage for sponging off those grass moves that otherwise own Swampert. Scarf would allow him to outspeed most non-scarfed pokemon for revenge kills with Bullet Punch or Quick Attack. I was thinking of using both because of the type coverage. Both get boosted by scizor's ability technician, and if I have the Band on instead of the Scarf a little more. He would make a good lead as well, with a speedy U-Turn into a good matchup.

Starmie
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
EV'S: 252 ATK / 252 SPD
Moveset:
Recover
Rapid Spin
(Other)
(Other)

I've never thought about using Starmie before, so I don't really know what to use with him. I want him to remove set-ups, which is why I choice rapid spin. Recover is a good move, especially when used with leftovers, to manage health. I was thinking he could sponge off fire moves that would damage scizor. Scizor will have problems doing his job as a good technician hitter if there are set-ups on the field, such as spikes, toxic spikes, or stealth rock. Starmie may intimidate certain switch-ins because of her physic typing; however I don't know what moves would be good when combined with these other moves, or the role I wanted her to play on my team.

TBA

This is as far as I've gotten. Maybe i'm thinking too small with what I want to do? I'm unsure. I also wanted to use Jolteon or Gengar, but I don't know whether they work well with this build or not. I've also heard that wish support for swampert is a must as well. Feel free to re-choose moves, reorganize members, finish the team, etcetera. All suggestions will be taken into account.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
And, most importantly: don't play with font size. It just annoys everyone.

But post in the Simple Question Thread, people there can help.

haunter

Banned deucer.
The SQ\SA thread at the top of the page is the right place for this. You may also try #ratemyteam if you have IRC access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)