DPP Ubers Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Yusei-themed Team that got me to #1 on the Smogon Uber Ladder

Topic reopened with permission from Maniaclyracist.

Back when the Shoddy Uber Ladder first came up, I managed to get to 6th place using a full-on Baton Pass team that lead with Magic Coat Smeargle.

After that, I just gave up any hope of reaching 1st place and stopped playing Pokemon for a while.

Then I read Train Man's Warstory he posted about a week ago: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47115.

I had met Train Man during my first endeavor on the Uber tier, and his warstory really inspired me to get back into Uber Laddering. First day, I obtained 8th place ranking. On my second day, I obtained the 2nd place ranking. And finally, on the third day, I obtained the coveted (in my mind) 1st place ranking. God I was so proud of myself that day, and I've been steady in that position for about a week now.

So, without any further adieu, Here's my team:

Team at a glance:

---

Speed Warrior (Deoxys-e) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Extremespeed

Standard Lead Deoxys. It sometimes pisses me off when I lose the speed tie to other lead Deoxys-E, but I can usually salvage it with Rayquaza, possibly even outsmart, taking the time to Swords Dance while it tries to set up Spikes, because lead Deoxys-E usually don't carry Ice Beam.

Variants include giving it Superpower over Extremespeed, as well as possibly switching the Attack and HP EVs around (open to suggestions as to what's better).
---

Junk Synchron (Bronzong) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/60 Def/196 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Standard Dual Screen Bronzong. After setting up Spikes, I attempt to disable one of my opponent's Pokemon with Hypnosis before setting up Dual Screens and Exploding. Not many variations to this. Sometimes, when I don't want to risk missing, I just go for the LIght Screen right away.
---

Spirit Force (Mewtwo) @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/4 SDef
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Selfdestruct
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

Backup Dual Screener. Used for when Bronzong can't really safely get the screens up, like say against Dialga, which I'm suspicious if it has Flamethrower, or another Mewtwo. The Extra Speed also often helps, as well as the ability to Taunt.
---

Junk Warrior (Mew) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/68 Spd/190 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rock Polish
- Baton Pass
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

Clustering Stars will call upon a new force! Become the path its light shines upon! Synchro Summon! Show yourself, JUNK WARRIOR!

Mew is extremely hard to kill with Dual Screens up and carrying a Lum Berry. Usually I'm able to get at least one Rock Polish and one Swords Dance up before having to pass. 68 Speed outspeeds +Speed Nature, 252 Speed Deoxys-E after a +2 Boost. The Nature and whether to put some EVs into defense could probably use some work, though.
---

Turret Warrior (Groudon) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 108 HP/252 Atk/150 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge

After receiving just 1 Swords Dance and 1 Rock Polish from Mew and Stealth Rock + Spikes, Groudon pretty much OHKOs everything in the Uber Tier except Giratina, which it 2HKOs with Dragon Claw. However, the Lum Berry also prevents Giratina's Will o Wisp from bothering it too much, though I'm still screwed if Giratina carries Roar and I can't OHKO it. And it wont be bothered by Priority moves too much with its amazing Defense and the fact it'll still have a couple turns of Reflect most likely. Once again, Speed EVs to outspeed Deoxys-E.

Rock Slide vs. Stone Edge was kind of an issue for me, but after doing calculations, I found that Groudon killed a 75% Lugia with Rock Slide only like 1% of the time using the "Great Wall" set found on this site, so I decided an 80% chance with Stone edge was still worth it.
---

Stardust Dragon (Rayquaza) @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extremespeed
- Flamethrower

Clustering hopes become a new Shining Star!
Become the path its Light shines upon!
Synchro Summon! Take flight! Stardust Dragon!

Rayquaza is more of a backup than anything. It's also the only safe switch I have against Water Spout Kyogre leads, since Rayquaza resists Water Spout and Air Lock negates the Rain boost. It can also set up fairly safely behind Dual Screens, so the fact that I have 2 Dual Screeners really helps.

Often interchange Flamethrower and Earthquake depending on if I know what's best to use beforehand.
---

This team does have some problems with smart Trick users, and guys like ScarfRai (who also gets Trick). The Speed EVs weren't designed to outspeed anything over Deoxys-E, so obviously, I run into problems. People who use Roar Giratina effectively (something that usually isn't done unless they know beforehand that I'm using Groudon AND that my Groudon can't OHKO it with just a +2 boost), as well as putting Roar on Pokemon that don't normally carry it such as Groudon and Kyogre, also sometimes give me problems.

Notes before posting:

1. Yeah, it's kind of funny, after reading Train Man's Warstory, I was actually planning on using a direct clone of his team, but realized that I didn't like Scarfgross, Tyranitar, or LO Mewtwo. So I just worked in a Baton Pass team angle (I used Latias in place of Mewtwo, before realizing that MEwtwo could also Dual screen AND Explode, soemthing Latias couldn't do) with Dual screen support, an Idea I've been wanting to try fro a while, as well as adjusting his Deoxys-E.

2. I realize that this really isn't "the best team ever", no need to point that out. However, keep in mind, I got to #1 on the ladder using this team, not really an easy feat on any ladder, which I believe is a real testament to how brutally efficient this team is at taking down unprepared Uber teams.

3. I did NOT cheat AT ALL to become #1, and I have the truth as well as the support of the admins on my side, so please don't say anything that implies anything of the sort.

4. If you say something to somehow undermine the quality of Uber Battlers, you will offend me and probably several other people who regularly battle on the Uber tier.

5. I've been #1 for about a week and a half now, and am satisfied with what I set out to do with this team. I'm going to do my best to attempt to retire this team and phaze it out of my Uber Battling and make a new team. I foresee in the near future that the Uber metagame is going to shift to having at least 1 Trick user on every team and disabling the members of the opponents as best as possible, so I will make a new team that adjusts to this new Possible Metagame accordingly.

6. Do NOT turn this into a topic about debating how much "skill" i have using this team or how "cheap" it is to use BP Mew. This is why my last topic was closed/deleted, and people like Great Sage and Obi have already commented on the topics at Stark Mountain that there is nothing "Cheap" about using BP Mew and what kind of team someone uses bears no indication on how much "Skill" they have, only thing that matters is that they win, not how much "skill" it takes to use a team. Comments such as these will be moderated from now on.

That is all and happy rating.

Sorry the images are so big, but they don't seem to stay small after I adjust them.

BTW, I wanted to include these, but I decided to include them in this post since it really doesn't have anything to do with Battling with the team:

Deoxys-E is Based off:

Effect: During the Battle Phase of the turn you Normal Summon this card, you can double its original ATK until the end of the Battle Phase

Umm, I guess the Stealth Rock and Spikes doing damage to future members of my opponent's team connects the effects together? Yeah, I know, kind of a stretch, but Deoxys-E and "Speed Warrior"? Not too hard to make a connection. Not to mention I thought Speed Warrior's attack "Sonic Edge" sounded remotely similar to Deoxys-E's "ExtremeSpeed".

Bronzong is Based off:

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower monster from your Graveyard in face-up Defense Position. That monster's effect(s) is negated.

Dual Screen Support to add onto Deoxys-E's spikes makes sure it's sacrifice wasn't in vain and that it still supports the team from beyond the grave. Plus Metal = Junk.

Mewtwo Based off:

Effect: Activate only during damage calculation during your opponent's turn. The Battle Damage you would receive becomes 0. Then, you can add 1 Warrior-Type Tuner monster with 1500 or less DEF from your Graveyard to your hand.

Mewtwo = Psychic, kinda having a connection to the Spirit realm? Whatever, also, if the opponent get's the best of me with Bronzong, I can sort of "bring back" Bronzong through Mewtwo and set up Screens again in case it's later on in the match.

Mew is Based off:

Effect: "Junk Synchron" + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, it gains ATK equal to the total ATK of all Level 2 and lower monsters on the field.

Sacrificing Deoxys-E and Bronzong (or Mewtwo) for the cause, Mew raises its attack on its own rather than through Level 2 monsters, but I guess that's why I named him after it.

Groudon is Based off:

Effect: You can Special Summon this card by Tributing 1 Warrior-Type monster. If this card is Special Summoned this way, this card gains ATK equal to the original ATK of that Warrior-Type monster.

Yeah, sacrifice Mew and Groudon gains its attack (boosts). Easy to connec the two. Not to mention the whole Rock/Ground similarity.

Rayquaza is Based off:

Meh, star Dragons on both teams. Don't read too into it.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Most of the time when someone posts a team that got them to the top of a ladder there's not much to actually rate or comment on. Your post sticks to the trend but I felt compelled to reply since this is actually a really lovely team. I'm not up to date on DP Ubers play in the least, but on paper this looks extremely solid and well thought out. Every team member has a purpose and they all strive for the same goal. Just wanted to complement you on a job well done and hopefully you'll have a new number 1 team to share with us in the future.

I honestly don't know why you decided you needed to repost this thread knowing that there's nothing that needs to be fixed. Also, everything that has to be said about this team has already been said already. So, I don't understand your logic is reposting this. Are you doing this to hear people say, "OMG this team is sooooo good!"? If so, then yea... it's kind of pointless IMO.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good team but like I said before, everything that has to be said was already brought up in the first posting of this. It's a good team, but it has been done before, plain and simple. The members work well with each other and there's really nothing to fix. The only reason why it's not seen more is just that some players think that the combo which your team revolves around is bland/cheap and boring since everything is like clockwork so they decide to use other teams that involves more variety. While many people that play the Ubers tier on shoddy are against this kind of team, I am of the opinion, "whatever floats your boat" so yea.

I think this is a well structured team, I've actually tried it out with some slight changes in EV spreads and it works great, like clockwork (but I have no intention of laddering up with it). And yea, I find it fun to sweep teams, so this kind of team fits my play style nicely. ;)

I just don't see the point in reposting it. The impression I'm getting from this is that you're rubbing this team (while well structured, but not very original) in people's faces and saying, "marvel at my awesomeness" when the team itself isn't anything too special since it's a used concept already and isn't revolutionary or anything remotely close to that. =/

You picked all the new yugioh cards. Hate those...

Looks like a good team, and you know it is. Though, you might have trouble with Kyogre, as you said Rayqueza is your only good switch in. And if the opponent is predicting well that day, it's good by Rayquaza.

Then it 2HKO's all your Pokemon with Waterspout, that's without rain. If it's scarfed, Mewtwo will have trouble exploding on it. I'd try Thunder somewhere on your team, maybe over Taunt on Mewtwo?

I don't really play Ubers, so if I'm missing something about your team sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)