You're approached by someone from The Pokémon Company who wants to make a crossover

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The Pokémon Company representative introduces themself and mentions that the company wants to collect information on more ways for Pokémon to crossover with other popular media franchises an in effort to increase brand awareness. When you ask them about what might be allowed, the representative tells you the company is trying a new marketing strategy where crossovers with literally anything is allowed, no matter how crazy it sounds, so long as your idea is at least somewhat specific.

What idea(s) do you recommend to them?

Mathy

i'm not chien pao
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
i think pokemon should crossover with the touhou project, or make a bullet hell shmup in the touhou style. i think it would fit the series, being themed around animals with magic elemental powers, many of which are expressed in the form of a barrage of projectiles. hire me nintendo

As much as "these two things have no business crossing over with each other but we're making a tactics game anyway" is a great genre, I end up thinking that the current design for the big pokemon games could be much improved by being more like Metroid.

First up, there's the aesthetics. Contrary to popular belief, I have in fact touched some grass in my time. As a result, I just can't be impressed by a virtual landscape that imitates the kind of thing I've seen for real. In contrast, I really like alien landscapes because I haven't seen them before. A crossover project seems like a great opportunity to take a break from everybody clamouring for their hometown to be in an official region and make environments worthy of the creatures that populate them.

Secondly, there's the progression of that exploration. Going out of sequence in SV is both way too easy and not rewarding at all. A tighter map could alleviate both these issues, more clearly defining a main path while also being able to provide unique rewards for going off it. If you've seen the off-sequence Kraid fight in Dread, imagine that kind of thing with your favourite big brain TM.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
ok ok I have one that's really good. what if we put characters from pokemon in a fighting game, and get this, what if the fighting game had mario characters in it too? if we really wanted to go crazy it could maybe even have characters from wacky stuff like star fox and metroid.

the only thing is that nomal fighting games are kind of violent so maybe to keep it rated E we could have you just get knocked out of the stage if you lost. anyways I'm really excited about this idea. i'm gonna pitch it to nintendo because I think it has legs

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
pokemon but a d8-based ttrpg and each type gets scaling dicesize for greater effectiveness and abilities come into play too and theres a dice pool and stats are quantified differently and hey wait come back masuda-san you haven't even tried character creation yet

pokemon but a d8-based ttrpg and each type gets scaling dicesize for greater effectiveness and abilities come into play too and theres a dice pool and stats are quantified differently and hey wait come back masuda-san you haven't even tried character creation yet
I remember looking at a fanmade d20 pokemon TTRPG a while back. Think I made an attempt at adding CAPs to it. I also remember trying to make a Merciless Toxapex with Rampardos levels of SpA using the fact that some trainer classes can override what stats a mon can specialize in. Unfortunately I don't remember the name.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
I remember looking at a fanmade d20 pokemon TTRPG a while back. Think I made an attempt at adding CAPs to it. I also remember trying to make a Merciless Toxapex with Rampardos levels of SpA using the fact that some trainer classes can override what stats a mon can specialize in. Unfortunately I don't remember the name.
pokemon tabletop adventures was a badgame for losers and chumps

pokemon tabletop UNITED was better bc it didnt try to slap 'mons onto D&D randomly

POKEYMANZ is the BEST one of its kind because it doesn't try to force a structure at all that doesn't fit over pocket monsters

pokemon tabletop adventures was a badgame for losers and chumps

pokemon tabletop UNITED was better bc it didnt try to slap 'mons onto D&D randomly

POKEYMANZ is the BEST one of its kind because it doesn't try to force a structure at all that doesn't fit over pocket monsters
I'll be real, "engineered after the feel of the anime instead of the games" is a massive red flag for me. I can't run anything looser than 3.X, so I'm not seeing how ditching the established strict mechanics entirely is supposed to help.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
I'll be real, "engineered after the feel of the anime instead of the games" is a massive red flag for me. I can't run anything looser than 3.X, so I'm not seeing how ditching the established strict mechanics entirely is supposed to help.
my condolences bro. i may be a pathfinder junkie, but only 2e these days. excessively defining every possibility with individual minutiae in a ttrpg is how we wind up with 3.5 grapple rules, as a more benign example. not a fan anymore of games where an option is no longer available for general player use when something else codifies it

my condolences bro. i may be a pathfinder junkie, but only 2e these days. excessively defining every possibility with individual minutiae in a ttrpg is how we wind up with 3.5 grapple rules, as a more benign example. not a fan anymore of games where an option is no longer available for general player use when something else codifies it
I can't speak for PF2e's DM tools, which in itself is pretty damning since it means the system was rejected farther up the pipeline. It feels like there's no room for creativity in the character builder, no ability to make something that acts like my own character instead of just appearing like it. PF2e is the reason I changed from a TT RPG gamer to a TT wargamer.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
I can't speak for PF2e's DM tools, which in itself is pretty damning since it means the system was rejected farther up the pipeline. It feels like there's no room for creativity in the character builder, no ability to make something that acts like my own character instead of just appearing like it. PF2e is the reason I changed from a TT RPG gamer to a TT wargamer.
i disagree in every way conceivable with 'no room for creativity in pf2e', but i wont press. to each their own, i personally love the immense depth of character options (even when we aren't talking 3pp!), but ymmv

i disagree in every way conceivable with 'no room for creativity in pf2e', but i wont press. to each their own, i personally love the immense depth of character options (even when we aren't talking 3pp!), but ymmv
I find that nearly everything being tied to class feats leads to a lack of synergies. I feel like I'm making a disjointed pile of abilities that I don't have interest in using many of instead of an actually interesting construction. The new style of "archetypes" exacerbate the problem compared to having several variants for different classes that actually work with that class, while the requirement of two feats after a Dedication is stifling. Meanwhile, the general parts of the class that can build on a foundation are completely static. Maybe with enough base classes that would be fine, but I feel like I'm trying to make a gen 7 team with nothing but VC Blue. And then there's the splitting up of base combat actions into class-specific ones. Again, might be fine if there was a way to quickly dip classes while still continuing on some other line, but that's now how things stand.

I recently tried converting the Inventor class back to PF1 but gave up because the base wasn't worth the effort of using. There were several dead levels once base stat increases were folded back into regular character progression, and what was left genuinely felt like a hollow shell of the 5e artificer, not even something from PF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)