Your signature in-game team

Charithmia
Hypnobro
Elvyra
Vamponos
Nonstick

Our little club traces their roots back to a 2016 playthrough of Gold that took...a lot longer than the first playthrough on that cart, to say the least. But it came to an end eventually, and when it did, these characters didn't want to go away. And why should they, given everything they had been through?

At the time the run started, I had no games more recent than gen 3, but as I wrote there, I did find a loose 3DS in a fateful encounter about a month in. This allowed me to experiment with 6 (and, shortly after the run was over, 7), then I would eventually fill in the gaps by ordering B2, Platinum, Colosseum, and ultimately a Switch. And of course, it's not possible to migrate anything from cartridge Gold onto those later games. But the characters endure further than any data tokens that may represent them, fungible or otherwise. So they stuck around, in some form or another, for ordinary playthroughs in several of those later games (usually with a couple spare team slots to fill on a whim), and I got more familiar with what all they could, or wanted to, do as the choreographer of their mystifying dance. Finding a way to rise through the Sinnoh league without anyone ever cracking level 40? Sure, why not. They're practically in their element that way.

I was going to take them everywhere. Whatever they needed to show they could do, they would get that chance. Many of the benchmarks are explicitly tracked by the game's own system of ribbons...

home ribbon club 5.png

...along with several more that aren't, but that's no reason to skimp out on doing them anyway. That's what it means to promise to take them everywhere.

And if we ever run out of places to go...hopefully SV will chime in with an update patch that allows the whole club to get in by the time Home compatibility opens up to those games.

Charithmia
Hypnobro
Elvyra
Vamponos
Nonstick

Our little club traces their roots back to a 2016 playthrough of Gold that took...a lot longer than the first playthrough on that cart, to say the least. But it came to an end eventually, and when it did, these characters didn't want to go away. And why should they, given everything they had been through?

At the time the run started, I had no games more recent than gen 3, but as I wrote there, I did find a loose 3DS in a fateful encounter about a month in. This allowed me to experiment with 6 (and, shortly after the run was over, 7), then I would eventually fill in the gaps by ordering B2, Platinum, Colosseum, and ultimately a Switch. And of course, it's not possible to migrate anything from cartridge Gold onto those later games. But the characters endure further than any data tokens that may represent them, fungible or otherwise. So they stuck around, in some form or another, for ordinary playthroughs in several of those later games (usually with a couple spare team slots to fill on a whim), and I got more familiar with what all they could, or wanted to, do as the choreographer of their mystifying dance. Finding a way to rise through the Sinnoh league without anyone ever cracking level 40? Sure, why not. They're practically in their element that way.

I was going to take them everywhere. Whatever they needed to show they could do, they would get that chance. Many of the benchmarks are explicitly tracked by the game's own system of ribbons...

View attachment 483242
...along with several more that aren't, but that's no reason to skimp out on doing them anyway. That's what it means to promise to take them everywhere.

And if we ever run out of places to go...hopefully SV will chime in with an update patch that allows the whole club to get in by the time Home compatibility opens up to those games.
I gotta salute this level of dedication. Hats off.

Charizard, Vaporeon, Vileplume, Snorlax, Dodrio, Magneton. My team the first time I clear pokemon red, my first pokemon game. Through he wonders of save replacement and the VC release of pokemon red I was able to bring my old save to the 3ds and then bring them to gen 7. And now they all have joined me in Brilliant Diamond (with Magne evolving) which may sadly end up being their final home with how craptastic the games have become now days.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
You know, it just occurred to me that I still haven't posted a team of my own on this thread yet. Let's change that, shall we?

:dp/feraligatr: :dp/crobat: :dp/ampharos: :dp/arbok: :dp/heracross: :dp/scizor:

Game: Pokémon SoulSilver

Normally, when I am trying to make teams for Pokémon playthroughs, the sheer amount of Pokémon choices is a lot for me to handle, knowing just how many of them I would like to try out but lacking both the time and the team slots to train them all. As such, I normally let some form of outside theme decide my team for me. This team was constructed during a phase in 2018 when I had wanted to try and 100% Complete every one of my older Pokémon games again using each games's "top tiers", so to speak. I eventually cancelled the series of playthroughs at some point afterwards for reasons I won't dive into here, but not before some uninvited guests decided to show up. All of Feraligatr, Ampharos, Heracross, and (if you have access to trading) Scizor are great options in HeartGold & SoulSilver, and one can make a case for Crobat being the game's best Fly user. But both it and an Arbok? Where did that come from?

:dp/ekans: :dp/zubat:

I may have cancelled that series of playthroughs, sure, but I have to give SoulSilver credit for one thing. If you've seen some of my other posts lost to time in various threads, you might remember that this is when and where my obsession with Poison-Type Shiny Pokémon started. I had actually already encountered another Shiny during this series- in this case, a Shinx on Route 202 in Pokémon Pearl- so I was already surprised to find an Ekans in the very next playthrough, that of which I was playing around the same time as Pearl as well. But when I had already found both of those and a Shiny Zubat showed up while I was looking for some PokéDex encounters, I knew right away that something was up. Both Arbok and Crobat (once evolved, obviously) would eventually earn permanent spots on the team, as it simply felt wrong to not keep both of those two on hand. What's more, all of this happened while I was preparing for a Shiny Foongus hunt in Pokémon White's playthrough in this series. The sheer length of this hunt actually played a major role in why I ended up stopping this playthrough series, but I'll likely never forget what this SoulSilver team did for me going forward. I even still have both Poison-Type Shinies to this day saved on another game cartridge.

my Pokemon Sun team has to be the team I'm most fond of (with Emerald being close behind).

7ea38047-f7b0-4918-9d6a-3420c39f1613.png

yeah yeah, I know, I have 2 water types but that doesn't matter tho because this team has a special place in my heart for being the first Pokemon game I played fully. (I played already completed ones before that were played by my brother)

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe not my signature team… but this was my original ingame team iiirc in Silver.

CFDBDFB8-3462-4C87-99D2-05F8320412C5.png

GSC still has my favourite encounter with any Pokemon ever.

The weird tree doesn’t like the SQUIRTBOTTLE!

The weird tree attacked!

In other playthroughs I remember using Totodile combined with Magmar, and Fearow, and switching out pretty much all my team members…. except one.

Before I fell in love with Suicune, I guess Amphy (and Jasmine) was my first Pokemon love. (also Suicune ain’t ideal for ingame runs, iirc I didn’t encounter any beasts until after I caught the Red Gyarados.

In more recent games now I always have a team of entirely new Pokemon on my first run, necessary to truly experience a new region, which may or may not follow a pattern, but in later playthroughs I still keep coming back to a FWG core with an Electric and Flying type thrown in, plus another mon chosen for design/coverage (usually from that region too) e.g Lycanroc/Mimikyu

Last edited:
My most memorable team in Pokémon FireRed, one of the games I played the most:

I only had 5 Pokémon in the main story because I was reserving the final spot for the best:

-I always choose Blastoise among the Kanto starters. Fantastic role compression with Surf, Strength, and, temporarily, Waterfall as learnable HM moves. Ice coverage is fantastic against Lance.
-Fearow is a fantastic Pokémon to Fly with if you don't want to waste a teamslot for an HM slave. Basically a better Pidgeot thanks to Drill Peck and a better Attack stat.
-Raichu helps the team against Misty. It's also fantastic against the Elite Four since a lot of their Pokémon are weak to Electric (Lorelei, Agatha's Golbat, Lance and Blue's Gyarados, etc.). Pikachu learning Thunderbolt at Level 26 is godsend too!
-Rhydon looks cool. I admit it's not the best for ingame runs since it's slow and a lot of Poison-types have Levitate now, but it pulled its weight thanks to its power and massive physical bulk. Stray Giga Drains were annoying for it though.
-Rapidash looks fabulous. It has great stats for ingame runs, though it can be somewhat reliant on TMs and Tutor moves.
-Mewtwo is an offensive powerhouse, and pretty much the culmination of my hardwork in this game.

Here are the teams I used (to the best of my memory)

Pokemon Red (As a kid)

Spr 1b 006.pngSpr 1b 018.pngSpr 1b 144.pngSpr 1b 145.pngSpr 1b 143.pngSpr 1b 045.png

Pokemon Yellow (As a kid)
Spr 1y 025.pngSpr 1y 012.pngSpr 1y 006.pngSpr 1y 018.pngSpr 1y 009.pngSpr 1y 003.png

Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow now
Spr 1y 034.pngSpr 1y 151.pngSpr 1y 009.pngSpr 1y 094.pngFillerSpr 1y 063.png

Pokemon Gold (As a kid)
Spr 2g 160.pngSpr 2g 018.pngSpr 2g 250.pngSpr 2g 130 s.pngSpr 2g 143.pngSpr 2g 182.png

Pokemon Crystal
Spr 2c 157.pngSpr 2c 245.pngSpr 2c 176.pngSpr 2c 130 s.pngMystery Egg Pokemon? + Eeveelution

Pokemon RSE
Spr 3e 260.pngCover Legendary Spr 3e 184.pngSpr 3e 169.pngSpr 3e 264.pngSpr 3e 330.png

Pokemon Diamond (I know, original)
MaleMaleSpr 4d 392.pngMaleSpr 4d 483.pngfiller
Pokemon White (My first Playthrough)
Spr 5b 503.pngMaleSpr 5b 494.pngSpr 5b 612.pngSpr 5b 644.pngSpr 5b 549.png
Pokemon White 2 (My first Playthrough)
Spr 5b 497.pngSpr 5b 530.pngSpr 5b 555.pngSpr 5b 581.pngprobably some traded Pokemon
Pokemon X
Spr 6x 655.pngSpr 6x 006MX.pngSpr 6x 663.pngSpr 6x 448M.pngFile:Spr 6x 666Mar.png+ a Water Type HM slave

Don't remember the rest. I think I used Decidueye in Pokemon Moon but I really don't remember much since I tried to get competitive ready stuff immediately. Same with Ultra Moon where I used the ingame to level up Pokemon I breed in another game like Relicanth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)