Metagame Your Favorite Teams of the Generation

approved by: your favorite mod team

At the request of many, here's the thread. The point of this thread is pretty simple; you can post your favorite SM OU teams here. Please keep in mind that the purpose of this thread isn't to dump your whole teambuilder and also shouldn't be used to post an excessive amount of teams. We look forward to seeing everybody's favorite teams.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:mawile-mega::greninja-ash::garchomp::tangrowth::jirachi::rotom-wash:
This is probably the most consistent team to me. It capitalizes on three powerhouses in Mega Mawile, Ash-Greninja, and Rockium Z Garchomp stacking hazards and beating down defensive structures, opening a way to sweep for Ash-Greninja or Mega Mawile. Tangrowth, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Rotom-W provide the team with decent defensive backbone and various support.

:garchomp-mega::greninja-ash::magearna::amoonguss::tornadus-therian::landorus-therian:
This team revolves around one of my favorite Megas rn, Mega Garchomp, and is also my favorite team I've ever built. The wallbreaking core of Mega Garchomp and Flyinium Z Tornadus-T smacks most of Ash-Greninja's answers and enjoys Spikes from it, enabling Ash-Greninja to clean up the opposition late-game. You can read about the team more here.

:venusaur-mega::garchomp::landorus-therian::greninja-ash::tapu fini::celesteela:
While I generally have troubles in piloting balances, this one, built by talah, is an exception and works amazingly for me. Again, this team aims to sweep with Ash-Greninja but paves a way for it more via a ton of chip damage rather than via pure breaking force. talah described this team thoroughly here.

Last edited:
latios-mega.gif
heatran.gif
tapubulu.gif
landorus-therian.gif
magearna.gif
greninja-ash.gif

If I were only allowed to choose one, it would be this one. I made this team back in January and it revolves around the M-Latios + Heatran core. As M-Latios baits in Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Scizor for Heatran. Zygarde was just banned so I still had a incentive to use SpD Tapu Bulu however it still helps Heatran with recovery. Landorus-T for speed control, CM Split Mag for Phat teams and finally Ash-Gren comes as the potent Wincon.

Last edited:

I made this team back when Reuni was just first starting to see good usage in OU. I don't play it much anymore but this was an absolute favorite of mine for a really long time. Reuni + Tspikes is great and Bisharp can capitalize on defog attempts. The team is very bulky and can handle long games. Admittedly, though, it is pretty slow without a scarfer. Pex is Payapa because Psychium Volc used to be decently common and getting a toxic on it could change the tide of the game.

This team is really funny to me. I made it while I was having an argument with someone who ranted about Fairy, Steel, and Ground types being the best types in the game and claimed that you don't really need anything else. Sure enough, it works pretty well. I don't actually play this very often, I just like the idea behind it. The Heatran set is a gimmick I was experimenting with a little bit post zygarde to capitalize on some of the checks that were rising up, such as rotom. It allows you to maximize your magma damage per hit with protect and band.

Finally, Predator30's version of ABR stall. This team really never gets old, though it's not as powerful as it used to be. Pred's the person who taught me stall and it was with this team. I have a lot of fond memories laddering with him and the classic squad.

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Finally, Predator30's version of ABR stall. This team really never gets old, though it's not as powerful as it used to be. Pred's the person who taught me stall and it was with this team. I have a lot of fond memories laddering with him and the classic squad.
This pokepaste seems to be broken :blobsad:

To prevent this from being a one-liner I’m gonna share two Bulky Volc teams that talah and lyd built. Bulky Volc has been a favorite of mine for the entire gen so its no surprise I wanted to post teams of it

:sm/ferrothorn::sm/reuniclus::sm/volcarona::sm/landorus-therian::sm/diancie-mega::sm/tapu-fini:
https://pokepast.es/b7a5270af1ebfcfa

This team was built back in Zyg meta during the time where Maw started thrashing everything in sight. Talah used a lot of mons that were gaining notoriety at the time, like Diancie, Tapu Fini and DD Reuni. The team had a very flexible gameplan with two routes to victory. Either you used hazard stack to punish Dark-types and setup with Reuni or clear the field to let Bulkarona sweep. All of the members have some defensive utility and aren’t too passive, which is also quite nice.

:sm/magearna::sm/landorus-therian::sm/volcarona::sm/garchomp::sm/tapu-fini::sm/latias-mega:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/friends.3649602/

Remember double/triple CM teams? This is basically one of those but with a fat Volc as a QDer over CMer. Once again, all members of the team have defensive utility, and synergize amazingly with each other. CM+Split Mage acts as a check to Psychics and stall-murderer, Volc is the maw, sciz and kart answer if rocks are off and Lati is your z-chomp, z-lando and kart answer with rocks. All the while, these three can set up CMs and win the game. Again, this leads to a flexible matchup spread where it doesn’t feel that you’re on the backfoot from the word go.

Other honorable mentions go to Ske’s take on MawGren+Z-Chomp Offense, Ske’s Mana rain, curiosity’s Five Years and talah’s Bad Company and MediGren BO. Edit: also p2’s and Charmflash’s Ditto squads.

Last edited:

https://pokepast.es/841b7422440ebca9
i remember this team cause i beat njnp with it and that was like my first tournament player win ever. its not that good but kabutops is cool and this was before mega pert

https://pokepast.es/edf93953319b2bae
this team got me to 1900s for the first time and i was so proud of cheesing the entire ladder that i gave it to pokeaim and he made a video with it.

https://pokepast.es/20a518db90652848
i quit mons at some point and but someone said that kommo-o was good in ou now and i had to give it a try. swept some guy and styled on him so hard that he missed a hurricane allowing my kommo-o to cleanly 6-0 him. good stuff.

oh and one more

https://pokepast.es/d6ebc5efd3d34ba2
THIS is the greatest team of gen 7. njnp made this years ago and basically invented webs. oh my god this shit was the most mindless, flowchart hyper offense ever i loved it. we got broken ass zygarde, pinsir under webs, my bb mimikyu, just broken everything. i miss zygarde

Last edited:

https://pokepast.es/bc6c1bcf01ac5b7c
Around the time that ttar dropped, this was my go-to team. Not a great team looking back, but hey i was barely breaking 1700 back in the day. Keldeo gave me a chance against gren and double weather dealt with rain well. Rotom was honestly just somthing i wanted to use, but he did good as a check to magearna and zardy and stuff and an ok breaker. Lando set is outdated and LO Kart... yeah.

https://pokepast.es/1558369c95c95d36
My version of a team from ske in the bazaar. One of the teams that convinced me that trick room could be an ok archetype, and was probably my first good trick room team. Uxie seems redundant now, as only one mon benefits from memento here. Azu to check tran and gren. A while ago I discovered that I'd been playing with thick fat azu for months too. Ursa was the main breaker because, well, he can break anything. Camel is kinda trash now imo, but in certain matchups he'd go off and 6-0. Magearna cleans and cress is fat and cleric.

https://pokepast.es/9f6eeea57845813a
The first team to break me into the 1900's. Super fun and a beast of a team and also my first rmt (link in signature). Been optimizing the sets for a time now too. Unfortunately struggles against certain teams (like rain, which is like every other game on ladder). Nowadays I'd prefer to use teams that revolve around alolum to trap problematic stuff, instead of basically auto-losing to pex like with this team.

Gen 7's had its ups and downs, but I'll miss all of the crazy teams that people have been able to pull off this generation.

(Victini technically isn't shiny in this pokepaste, but I like the shiny sprite better)
Menasor (Charizard-Mega-Y) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
Pokeball: masterball
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Drag Strip (Victini) @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Pokeball: cherishball
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Dead End (Excadrill) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Rapid Spin

Breakdown (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Motormaster (Hydreigon) (M) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 SpA / 32 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Roost

Wildrider (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

This is probably one of the better teams I've used on Pokemon Showdown in my Gen 7 OU career. I never tried the core of Mega Charizard Y + Victini before, so I figured I might as well try that out. I tried multiple versions, including a full-blown sun team, but at the end of the day, this turned out to be my favorite. Victini absolutely demolishes everything via V-Create under Menasor's (Mega Charizard Y) Drought-set Sun, Excadrill and Tapu Fini help out with hazard removal for MegaZardY and Victini, or in the case of Excadrill, helps with hazard-setting, Hydreigon destroys Heatran and non-Ice Beam Ash-Greninja so that Victini can turn whole teams to burning destruction, and Tapu Koko provides a way to bring in Mega Charizard Y or Victini to break the opponent, or just break teams itself.

Shatter (Manaphy) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic

Dropkick (Kingdra) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Starscream (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Dead End (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Skywarp (Pelipper) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost

Galvatron (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

A rain team using Manaphy and Kingdra. While less consistent than some of my other teams, it's still quite nice. It abuses the combo of Mega Pert + Peli, and with it come three abusers and the Defogger for the team. Mega Pert and Pelipper are self-explanatory, Kingdra helps break down offensively-based teams for Manaphy, who, in return, breaks down defensive teams for Kingdra and Mega Swampert. Ash-Greninja isn't nescessarily an abuser per se, but his STAB Hydro Pumps hit extremely hard under Rain. Tornadus-T is the Defogger; he needs no explanation.

Last edited:

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
hey, i have really lost interest in pokemon as of general so i dont care as much about preserving teams than i usually do...

if you know me you know that the one team i've used this entire generation is my weavile stall but because smogon tour is ongoing rn i don't want to give it out yet

at least, i want to showcase some of my olt teams from the recent olt. this was pretty much my only tournament experience in gen 7 so far because of my long tournament ban, so hopefully this can embrace that picture.

my olt run was unfortunate but i can blame part of it on the removal of ionext... these teams are really good for ladder, and they were what i used in pretty much all of olt. i did a lot better in cycle 1-2 when i was laddering for fun, but i could still hide games, no one knew my sets and no one could snipe me (thats just one of numerous examples but you get the point -- keep ionext!). i've been convinced for a long time that semistall is by far the most consistent playstyle (at least for ladder) in this generation, and even though people will always hate it i'll always be a big advocate for it.

without further adue, here are the teams i had the (most) success with in olt ( really, in gen 7 tournaments)

download-1.png

Sorry if i sound like a bitch in this post, ladder is a big part of my mons experience and i never got to talk about my only olt experience, soo i just fit it in here

Last edited:
:Nidoking: :Victini: :Mandibuzz: :Charizard-Mega-Y: :Tapu Koko: :Hoopa:

The classic Omari P squad. Always fun to mess around with on the ladder.

Nidoking @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Victini @ Assault Vest
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Glaciate
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Defog

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Tapu Koko @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Hoopa @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

One of my favorite stall teams that I made, the Immortal Stall

:Amoonguss: :Toxapex: :Gliscor: :Clefable: :Sableye-Mega: :Celesteela:

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Toxapex @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Recover

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Protect

One of my most successful pre-Zygarde ban HO teams

:Tapu Koko: :Zygarde: :Magearna: :Gyarados-Mega: :Excadrill: :Hawlucha:

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- U-turn

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 188 HP / 108 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

spooky Halloween HO, pre-Zygarde ban

:Landorus-Therian: :Araquanid: :Serperior: :Gyarados-Mega: :Zygarde: :Blacephalon:

spooky lando-t (Landorus-Therian) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Explosion

spooky spider (Araquanid) @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Magic Coat
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Lunge

spooky snake (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Glare
- Leaf Storm

spooky shrimp (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Ice Fang

spooky arrows (Zygarde) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

spooky clown (Blacephalon) @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 232 HP / 20 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

The original BC Wish Killer Balance, because fuck it why not. Loses to Mega Medicham and Volt-Turn but it can still get wins.

:Chansey: :Keldeo-Resolute: :Heatran: :Venusaur-Mega: :Skarmory: :Bisharp:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Bisharp @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

A recent Kommo-O hyper offense.

:Landorus-Therian: :Gyarados-Mega: :Magearna: :Kommo-O: :Kartana: :Tapu Lele:

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Taunt

Magearna @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Clanging Scales
- Poison Jab

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

I ended up reaching a new ladder peak of 1876 this gen so I'm happy with how these teams have worked out. Looking forward to spamming broken shit on the ladder once SS drops, at least before the quickbans inevitably come.

Might add some more teams later.

sup, Ive played sm ou ever since it was released and it was a really fun meta for the most part. in addition to going over my favorite teams, i wanna briefly talk about the history and evolution of sm as a tier

early sm (release - end of spl 8) - November 2016 - April 2017

after the crazy period ended (gene banned, lando banned etc), sm was characterized by the dominance of mega metagross, pheromosa, z lando, lele, and z heatran. a lot of people saw these mons as broken or borderline broken (i remember a lot of players wanting to suspect lando bc of its offensive z sets and also thinking that z tran had no switch ins). besides the aforementioned mons, the teams in spl were very diverse since everyone was still experimenting in this fresh meta. Pex and bulu werent very popular, most people still used latios and keldeo, and everyone had bulky steels cus of lele. marowak alola was being used as a mosa counter!!! my favorite teams from this time are:

:sableye-mega::chansey: :skarmory: :toxapex: :dugtrio: :clefable:

the infamous "spl stall" whose creator remains a mystery to this day. i heard some guy on the ladder was running around with these 6 or something very close to it and the raiders snatched it up and decided to use it. this team was the face of stall for months being a big part of rey's 10-0 and was spammed by a bunch of other teams in the tour (including the scooters). it's win rate was pretty absurd since we all know how well dugtrio enabled stall. i really really liked this team cus it was pretty hard to break without multiple dedicated breakers and even in that case, the opponent can just make a mistake and lose. iirc, a lot of players ran things some alowak since its absurdly strong, avoids getting trapped by dug, and can even get up rocks but dugtrio began running pursuit and it became a 50/50 kind of. during that time, my main way of prepping for this team was using offensive lando that can get past skarm so either smack down / gravity or knock + zone paired with something that blows past the team if skarms down. overall, this team was really tough to break if wielded by someone competent and very forgiving of mistakes.

:metagross-mega: :magnezone: :landorus-therian: :tangrowth: :garchomp: :magearna:

this a team tdk made and used in spl 8. this team pretty much captured the essence of sm team compositions for me. the bulky steel + double ground core was insanely popular. scarf chomp was even common then because of its good resistances and ability to revenge volcarona. i dont think tdk was the first to use this archetype but this was one of my favorite teams and influenced a lot of the teams i made.

:scolipede: :garchomp: :magnezone: :tapu-fini: :landorus-therian: :greninja:

again, this was a time when pex wasnt popular at all and sd scolipede was ridiculously good vs the meta. it abused tf out of grass types, nuked landos with z water, and speed boost made it tough to revenge kill. this was my take on scolipede and again used the double ground + zone + fini core that the scooters (and most other teams) pretty much spammed for half the tour.

:metagross-mega: :garchomp: :gengar: :greninja: :landorus-therian: :tapu-bulu:

seems repetitive by now but i cant emphasize how good and popular the steel + double ground core was back then. anyway, this was a really offensive take with z lando, specs gar, specs gren, cb bulu. i loved this team bc of how offensive and oppressive it was while still being able to switch into things. meta / lando / chomp / bulu all have good synergy and defensive attributes so it was the best of both worlds for me. i used this team a bunch in various tours up til meta got banned.

:metagross-mega: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :toxapex: :tangrowth: :pheromosa:

i made this for welliou to use in spl and this time we dont have the double ground core! i didnt rly like using pheromosa outside of z / qd sets so i didnt build w it too much. i felt too many ppl were preppin hard for it and it wasnt as great in practice. despite that, i thought 3a spin mosa was fantastic since it had a ton of offensive presence and the added utility of hazard removal. z focus, icebeam, spin was pretty cool. this team in particular is a favorite since it had scarf heatran + eplate lando. when ppl see lando tran their mind immediately wanders to scarf lando and some heatran and this team took advantage of that. a lando bluffing choice was stupidly dangerous and a heatran that outpaces common mons on offensive was equally dangerous. pex + tang is an amazing defensive regen core. and of course, cant forget the best mega in the tier

influx of new megas and meta / mosa ban (end of spl 8, ost, wcop 17) - April 2017 - July 2017

mosa was banned sometime in march 2017 and meta was banned sometime in april. a batch of new mega stones were released sometime early april meaning mawile and medicham have returned to ou. during the end of spl, i dont remember the exact dates and order they were released in but mawile was available in the later weeks and playoffs of spl and medicham was around for ost. this period was characterized by a couple things. people were exploring zygarde a LOT more from band, dd, coil, etc etc. pex was no longer considered a surefire volcarona counter since tdk debuted z psychic volcarona vs sweepage. mawile was ridiculously good since it naturally doesnt have any true counters. its mawile. but duggy being around limited it a little bit. electric types became a lil more dangerous with the introduction of 3 attack zapdos. in general, the double ground + steel core was a lot less popular since gross was the best steel on that archetype. it still existed with zone but wasnt nearly as good and many players looked into other options for their team compositions. people were also using clefable more

:Mawile-mega: :zygarde: :clefable: :celesteela: :latios: :greninja:

another tdk team. i dont remember if he used this himself but this team was pretty perfect in capturing what this period of sm was all about. maw + zyg as the top breakers in the tier, celes and clef forming a defensive backbone, scarf latios and specs ashgren to cover the speed issue while providing more firepower. this team was unique since it incorporated celesteela into a fairly offensive team and also featured clefable which wasnt common at all. clefable was a pretty good zygarde check and also worked as a good stealth rock setter. my favorite things about this team was the synergy between maw / zyg / greninja which went onto to influence many future builds seen in the next year.

:scizor-mega: :reuniclus: :garchomp: :heatran: :zapdos: :tangrowth:

this is a revamp of my rmt, triple z, that i adjusted for when medicham was released. the original version of my team folded over pretty badly since the only member that outsped medi was keldeo. bulky psychics were making a return, especially mew, since it was something that could handle all of medicham, zygarde, z lando, and to an extent mawile. i believe it first appeared on abr's take on tama stall (skarm zap mola chans dug clef) and then people were using it on other team styles. reuni was a counter pick to this trend since it abused the hell outta mew, tang (amoong was decreasing in usage w mosas departure), zapdos, and also served as a medi check. reuni hadnt been used outside of realy fat spikes balance teams ft. venusaur and friends so i was happy with how this turned out and played

:slowbro-mega: :zygarde: :ferrothorn: :magearna: :latios: :gengar:

this is an abr team that i believe he made during his ost run. i think it was the first time a top player used mbro in sm ou. in hindsight, this team looks pretty goofy to me knowing abr made it cus it goes against everything he likes nowadays. u'll never catch abr using gengar in 2019 :cwl: this team was pretty sick during its time since mbro was a mon a lot of people were unprepared for. bulky waters werent rly used in general outside of pex and the rogue suicune (not counting fini) so mbro was a cool anti meta pick and abr used 3a here which annoyed a buncha team compositions.

:magearna: :greninja: :mew: :zygarde: :tangrowth: :latios:

this is a team john made around wcop time that a buncha people used including myself and aim. sg / tr mag has been a thing for a while but no one really cared to mess with the coverage moves on it. boltbeam fight quickly became recognized as a ridiculous threat to standard heatran + ground + tang teams. this was my fav team with the set. mew was still going strong due to its defensive capabilities in blanket checking like half the meta. tapu bulu began running spdef sd so tangrowth was no longer a counter since they lacked sludge bomb.

honorable mentions: the venu zygarde tspikes gren team john used that wcop finals vs ricardo. that team and idea was revolutionary af

one last important point to mention: before wcop 17, kartana was seen as a really niche mon often used only on hyper offense. njnp used kartana a good amount but he used some wack sets like sd adrenaline orb and there were also dudes using terrible timid kartana. this wcop, choice scarf kartana was used for the first time in the big stage which led to many other players exploring its potential as a sweeper and breaker (with sd z sets and choiceband). its pairing with tapu bulu was pretty new since everyone shit on kart for its terrible spdef stat. after this tour, kart became a mainstay ou pick

dugtrio ban - release of usm / everything gets defog!!! (snake 1 - spl 9) - September 2017 - April 2018

many miracles took place during this period. posho went 7-2, john signed up to play a tour, and dugtrio got banned. the duggy ban made stall 1000x easier to deal with and "good" stall pretty much fell off the map for a bit. kart was rising in usage, people were experimenting even more with zygarde given its enormous movepool, and mega latios made its debut. chansey offense also appeared and was respected as a non-shit team composition. volcarona was as annoying as ever and njnp was still cheesing everyone with trick room and veil. overall, the meta was growing A LOT in terms of diversity. mlatios, mdiancie, etc were being experimented with. a ton more hoopa usage with abr bringing it to stour playoffs. people were trying out gastro celes, venu mola, and so on.

:hoopa-unbound: :tapu-bulu: :kartana: :alomomola: :landorus-therian: :heatran:

this is an abr team that was unlike anything we've seen so far. the addition of mola to a fairly offensive team was unique for its time (mola was mostly seen on bulkier archetypes ex: the venu mola that the pitvipers used) and this team also reintroduced double grass as an extremely dangerous offensive core. but the surprise was that kart wasnt scarf. it used bloom doom which was an absurd nuke from the grassy terrain boost. hoopa was also a pretty common mon during snake 1 with my team using it a bunch. sciz / lele / hoopa / pex / tang / lando is something thethorn and i came up with and it worked pretty well. this team was also revamped and used by FV in spl with mega sableye over hoopa to make the team sturdier (and sab on balance is really really annoying to deal with).

:gyarados: :zygarde: :landorus-therian: :magearna: :kartana: :gengar:

snake 1 saw an influx of dd mon usage from charizard-x to gyarados. this is a team fv and i worked on (mostly fv) for week 1 of spl. dd z gyara + dd coil zygarde is an extremely oppressive offensive pairing. the team is rounded out with a backbone of helm lando + av gear with scarf kart as the speed control and specs gar to round out the breaking capability + general speed. continuing the tradition from snake, this team reintroduced dd gyara as a dangerous anti-meta threat since its a water type sweeper able to blow past conventional grass type checks and really mess with the lando tran stuff which is ever so common.

i dont really have favorites beyond those 2 but an important thing to note was the jump in torn usage. torn finally became relevant with access to defog along with its other fantastic attributes.

zygarde ban - end of usm (wcop 18, snake 2, spl 10) - May 2018 - Now

this post is getting p long and i dont rly wanna talk about recent trends since im sure everyone is familiar with em but here are my favorite teams from the end of the zygarde era til now:

:scizor-mega: :gliscor: :reuniclus: :heatran: :ferrothorn: :greninja:

this is what john used vs zomog in wcop 18 finals. we were pretty sure kyurem was coming cus "hur durr johns always weak to kyurem / fire types" so abr thought of the fast sd spower msciz + knock ferro pair to mess with scarf zone. team worked exactly as planned. this team has p much everything i love which is basically bulky enough to play a long game but also a buncha offensive presence. the synergy between sciz / z tran / gren is incredible and glisc reuni is a really tough to break defensive core.

:alakazam-mega: :magnezone: :zygarde: :clefable: :Ferrothorn: :magnezone:

abr made this team after he was like 0-2 in round 1 since his opps kept cting the usual. he wanted to switch it up and decided to fool around and use zam zyg zone after "this'll never work haha' into "oml this is fire". this team was pretty dominant and amazing for a few months and i believe popularized modest zam.

:charizard-mega-x: :hoopa-unbound: :zapdos: :greninja: :ferrothorn: :landorus-therian:

this is something ojama made and used in snake (vs john, watch it if you didnt its a great game). this teams pretty crazy but is representative of how i and many others see ojama as a player which is; loves his big breakers + a sturdy defensive core. this team is pretty ridiculous since it had zard with the ONLY removal being scarf lando (the zapdos was toxic!!!) but the offensive synergy between zard and hoopa messed with a ton of teams. i became a huge fan of this style of teams which abr affectionately dubbed "mounts offense" (mounts LOVES his triple stealth rock weak teams)

:scizor-mega: :kyurem-black: :tapu-fini: :landorus-therian: :heatran: :kartana:

abr made this for redemption in snake finals. this was my fav team to use for a while even tho it lost to koko. fini + big bad breakers has been a thing for a while and this team really capitalized on kyurem getting its nut off vs cele pex shit. cb kart is awesome too

i dont really remember shit about spl tbh nor have a current favorite team but if i HAD to pick it'd probably be what sacri used w1 of snake. i think its a unique take on mlatias reuni cm spam and it works really well.

hope yall enjoyed reading and apologies in advance for shit grammar / very informal writing style. looking forward to see more posts in this thread

Last edited:

The most recent favorite team of my happens to be of Beatiful's (I believe it's his team) OLT squad of double steel core in Mega Mawile and Scarf Jirachi. Metronome Lele really helps the team push it's somewhat weakeness to mons such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, and Volt-Turn in Lando and Rotom-Wash makes it easier to pivot into the heavy hitters of the team. Darkium-Z Ash Gren was was favorite tech of the team, which can catch mons such as Tangrowth and Zapdos off guard when opponents think that it is choice locked.

I also made a vid of this team on my channel. Though the quality of the matches and my ranking isn't impressive, the functionality of the team is what really made this my most recent favorite.

As for past metagame:

I tend to have a hard-on for brain dead HO, and teams like this and Z-Celebrate Victini+Taunt Mega Gyarados were prime examples why HO will always have a special place in my heart. I believe when Sticky Webs was surging for the first time in SUMO OU, Mental Herb Shuckle was a staple in many dead-brain Sticky Web HO teams, as it was capable of taking hits and Encoring mons for safe play. The slot was usually for Smeargle, as it had access to Spore, but trapping with Infestation and Encoring was a nice utility lead for Shuckle. Thundurus was a very cool mon since it had a vast movepool that it's Life Orb could take advantage of, one move being Incinerate as a surprise pick to run over Ferros and Mega Scizors. Sludge Wave was also used for the Tapus and bulky Fairies like Clef. Standard Zygarde with DD+Coil was an annoying wincon, and Mimikyu had it's shine in the spotlight with an SD protected by Disguise. Bisharp took advantage of opposing Webs and Defog users and punished them with its hard hitting STAB moves with Defiant boosts. Mega Pinsir was able to pick off the fat grass mons that Zygarde would initially had trouble with. Definitely one of my favorite teams that symbolized my favorite archetype in OU.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

pretty much the only decent ou team ive made this gen. it looks really gross, i know. the basic idea is to use slowbro/xurk/hera to break walls early game so one of the 2 scarfers can win later on. passho ttar is the ash gren switchin while zap cannon bro is to ohko gren. i passed this to my boy pd and he won a tlt game (link)

i dont have any grand statement to make about the meta because i havent played a lot of it, but i found this team fun to use and i hope you guys do too

Wildcat Formation

flexibly adaptable to the situation
is a Tiering Contributor

Linking these two together because they were the first teams I built in post-Bank SM OU back in late Jan 2017, so I get nostalgic over them. I had fun using M-Sharpedo in ORAS OU and thought that with the addition of Psychic Fangs to its movepool and the absolute perfect offensive partner in Protean Greninja unbanned it could be good. Buzzwole was the flex Pheromosa check and Ground resist. Second team was generic rain with SD Z-Revenge Qwilfish that near OHKOed Ferrothorn at +2. Both teams had Z-Thunderbolt Koko which surprisingly no one ran at the time, but was a nice set because it always OHKOed M-Metagross and Z-Heatran from full.

Built Dec 2017, a little bit after USM release. At this point in the meta, Mew usage dropped drastically in comparison to summer 2017, so it was a good time to use M-Medicham (healthy Pokemon btw). Used this team to climb up the ladder seriously for the first time and got fairly high with minimal issues. It's a pretty ladder friendly team outside of stall because it relies on reliable moves; M-Medi had Drain Punch to avoid mind games vs Protect Heatran and Ferrothorn while still OHKOing them, but it still had HJK to properly break. The team also has some sets that wasn't used much at the time but grew in popularity later on like Surf > Hydro Pump on Specs Ash-Gren, Scarf Koko, and AV Amoonguss.

Built Sep 2018, inspired from this Mob Barley vs. Zuchtrest replay in OLT. The team caught my eye because it had Pokemon that I wanted to try out together such as robopoke Serp + Magnezone and M-Pinsir + BD Azumarill. Robopoke Serp after steels removed was hard to beat; the bulky grasses that beat Serp were fodder to M-Pinsir. The ultimate endgame with this team was winning with Azu after Glaring Bulu and/or trapping Kartana with Chople Zone. The team was surprisingly reliable for HO. I felt that I had a chance of winning vs any matchup thanks to the para spam stopping potential counter-sweeps.

Another healthy M-Medicham team, this time built in Dec 2018. The special Pokemon on this team is of course Rotom-Heat, only added because I needed something that can check Koko, Zapdos, and M-Scizor in one slot. Rotom-H was a meme at first but after testing, it ended up being an valuable addition to the team. If you can keep rocks off, it can be a hard stop to a lot of the meta. This team not only helped me win a few tour games, but I was able to get suspect reqs for the first time thanks to this team, so it's probably my favorite one of them all.

ThelordofbadRNG

Banned deucer.
sup,just came here to share a few of my favorite squads with my favorite mega,mawile. Brazy mon that is the literal definition of a wallbreaker. Alright,now the teams..

:mawile-mega: :magearna: :rotom wash: :kartana: :garchomp: :tornadus-therian:

Pretty standard mawile+chomp offense. MMaw and Chomp pair up frighteningly well with chomp being able to break past fat steels like ferro and also pex which can be a big bitch for mawile. MMaw softens up teams for kartana to clean late game. Strapped on a torn+rotom wash voltturn core and there you have it. Just ended up slapping on an AV mage at the end to make the rough lele and ash gren mu a bit better as well as blanket checking tapu koko and many other special attackers. The first "good" team I've built and well yeah. P much the reason its one of my favorites.

the paste: pokepast.es/54a6f4fce7b5519c

:mawile-mega: :clefable: :tyranitar: :amoonguss: :landorus-therian: :heatran:

SubPunch MMaw+CM wish clef is beautiful. The beauty of the core is that subpunch mawile beats tran and pex,the two mons that clef gets walled by. After those mons are gone,clef can usually set up a few cms and sweep late game. MMaw also appreciates the wish support due to sub and hazards wearing it down quickly. The rest of it is basic shit. Tran as my other breaker and rocks setter,amoonguss cuz fuck pex,AV ttar due to its ability to blanket check tapu koko,tran and traps both the lati twins which tran appreciates. Lando is standard scarf and ye. CM wish clef is kinda unorthodox but ye. I wanted a wincon as well as wish support since my entire team gets worn down quickly. Probably a trash team but its one of my favorites.

the paste if you really want to try this garbage: pokepast.es/804bc5aa29fa0236

1569244008689.png
1569243350625.png
1569243387455.png
1569243407858.png
1569243425174.png
1569243445424.png

https://pokepast.es/24101234d534bf2c

Like, idk why, but this team is cool af. I know the team isn’t very good,I know the team isn’t a broken sh*t ez win every time, but really, go try it, is like... really cool xd

Well, that’s all, eat fruits and vegetables and have a good day ^^

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gonna post my own teams because obii posted a lot of other people's teams that I liked and would post anyways. I'd like to think that I've improved as a builder throughout the gen and this thread gives me a good chance to reflect on that, particularly my three favorite teams that I've made all gen. Oh also all of the teams are linked to the images so just click on them if you want the import.

Everyone that's known me for a while knows about this team, and it's got a lot of great memories for me. This team came with my bout of Qwilfish fanaticism that took place for a while during the start of SPL 9. This team obviously isn't very good right now with how amazing Kartana is and its general slew of defensive issues that arise without Torn-T, but it still was a lot of fun while it lasted. Qwilfish was always a really cool mon for rain, being able to remove tspikes without having to bring in a fogger while also being a funny ass breaker with SD that could boom on fat waters that could just sit there against rain like Gastro and Pex. The biggest issue with this team is just that Qwilfish becomes way less consistent after people realize what it runs, but it was still fun to use while it lasted.

I originally made this team for insult to use against ben gay during OST, and it also got used against in WCOP by FullLifeGames. Basically the idea behind this team was that Double Dance Lando is a super underrated threat and it seemed to thrash a lot of the more offensive builds that ben gay was using at the time. The big thing that I wanted with this team was to easily be able to bluff scarf for the early portions of the game in order to give opportunities to aggressively set up later on in the match. This team features some cool stuff like Jolly tpunch mawile to snipe the speedy Skarmory that ben gay was using a lot at the time as well as scarf trick rotom with HP Ice to give some freedom of play against SD Grounds, particularly Garchomp. This was a really fun offensive team at the time that I liked using that isn't as good right now just because of how easily it gets cooked by Gliscor outside of Rotom.

Here's the most recent team that I wanted to talk about, as it's been used got used a bit in stour in addition to its first appearance. I originally made this for Tacebreeze to use in OLT round 1 against Dora, and he ended up using it and winning. The basic idea behind the team was that elemental Maw absolutely obliterated the balanced teams that dora was favoring at the time while also having SD Gliscor to provide some pressure against those and Z Rotom to wreak havoc against offense. This team has a lot of cool sets like the ones I mentioned and has a pretty wack bulky scarf bulu with natures madness so that it can switch into stuff like gren and soft check stuff like medicham, taking some pressure off of its teammates to deal with some of these threats. The main issue with this team is that both Kyurem forms absolutely thrash it, but it's pretty solid otherwise.

Overall building this gen has been a lot of fun until really recently with the recent metagame shifts and trends making it a million times more annoying to build, and I hope the metagame can shift back to some semblance of balance after the (hopefully!) upcoming suspect test.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Just gonna post the teams I've had the most success/fun with with some short descriptions:
click sprites for pastes

:skarmory: :lopunny-mega: :reuniclus: :chansey: :gliscor: :toxapex: by Empo

Hazard-stacking semi-stall that allows Mega Lopunny and Reuniclus to go ham. Probably the team I've had the most success with yet.

:medicham-mega: :greninja-ash: :kartana: :magearna: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: by talah

Pretty standard offense featuring my favorite mega. It consists of three top threats and three VoltTurners to bring them in.

:pelipper: :swampert-mega: :ferrothorn: :greninja-ash: :magearna: :tornadus-therian: by ABR & BKC

This was the golden standard for rain a couple months back before people started spamming Manaphy during OLT.

:uxie: :magearna: :mawile-mega: :marowak-alola: :cresselia: :crawdaunt: by imsosorrylol

This is the golden standard for Trick Room, great fun to use on ladder.

:garchomp: :charizard-mega-x: :rotom-wash: :magearna: :tapu_bulu: :kartana: by Finchinator

Double Dragon offense built during Zygarde meta, very fun to use.

:tapu_koko: :magearna: :landorus_therian: :glalie-mega: :hawlucha: :tapu_fini: by CTC

blunder's favorite team, used in both Heatah Fajita and SPL, featuring Mega Glalie.

This post made me realize I use a lot of Magearna.

I don't recall using teams I didn't build myself (except one, I'll get to that in a bit), as I find building to be one of, if not the most fun part of competitive Pokemon. As such, I'll mostly be sharing my own teams.

Much earlier in the generation, I was still exploring different playstyles. Some - perhaps a lot - of you may know me as a strict stall player. However, when I first started playing on Showdown, I mostly played HO. I didn't know how to build a good HO team, and I couldn't make the plays to do well. So around early S/M, I started experimenting with bulky offense (or what I assume to be bulky offense). While I was still not a great player or builder, it was an improvement. There was one team I was fairly fond of, and although I don't have the original, I tried my best to recreate it as it was: https://pokepast.es/932f9bf3d74c8bdb

Back when Zygarde was being suspected, I decided to get reqs for something to do. I didn't know whether to ban it or not, so I didn't finish getting reqs. I got pretty high on the ladder though, at least compared to what I was used to. I used Finch's Aggron stall, which I was not too keen of at first, but it grew on me. Aggron is just great at checking so many physical threats to stall, like banded Bulu, Mega Mawile, and SD Scizor. I'm not a big fan of the lack of Sableye, because magic bounce is bae, but it's a great team that I enjoyed using nonetheless: https://pokepast.es/db198159887a1839

Last but not least, my favorite team of all (and perhaps the best I've built), my CM Mega Sableye team, featured in "Break this Team". I put a lot of time and thought into it, and am very happy with the result. It loses mostly just to uncommon threats, like Mega Heracross, taunt cm Keldeo and taunt cm Blace. I'm happy with this result as it was my goal to minimize the number of threats to the team that are common on the ladder: https://pokepast.es/db198159887a1839

Last edited:

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
This is probably the best team I have built. Like, this shit is actually fire. I am guy who likes bulkier teams, but this more offensive balance is sooo good. I remember reaching like 1700s with this shit and then ruining it all with my shitty meme teams. But this is truly my fav team of the gen. Plus, Torterra best grass starter, don’t @ me.

The building process was

-Want Torterra team
-Add Torterra
-Need fire+ice resist
-add fini
-want an epic fwg core
-add heatran
-need a balanced pokemon to break some walls
-add medicham
-need u turn pivot
-who else can do it better than torn t
-i was feeling cancerous
-added chansey

Torterra (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Swords Dance

Heatran (M) @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
- Earth Power

Medicham-Mega (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 184 HP / 120 Def / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpA
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 228 HP / 244 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Katy

Banned deucer.
Hey everyone, these are two of my favorite teams i saw and used:

1. is made by blunder and CTC during the road to top 10 recorded by pokeaimMD in the SM era: I like the offensive double dark approach with weavile + bisharp combined with mega venusaur and i think mega venusaur was always underrated in this gen but got a small era of good usage in the ultrasunmoon era. i also think this team has a nice look from the aesthetic side and was really fun to mess around on the ladder with: https://pokepast.es/b739e321771ad805

2. is made by NJNP and imsosorrylol, it was a great hyper offensive team during the sm era and probably one of the best hyper offensive builds this gen, aurora veil with mega tyranitar and zygarde, the latter was a menace on those team structures. because of its natural bulk and plenty of set-up opportunities it had. under the dual-screen which alola-ninetales offered it was even more difficult to get rid of this monster.
the same can be said about suicune as its natural bulk is also nice to have on hyper offensive teams and on dual-screens / veil it can work really well with the sub +cm set. i think this well known and popular team was one of the best HO teams during this gen and i loved the look of it and how you can screw up the ladder with it + veil saw also a nice portion of success at tournament games: https://pokepast.es/a051e52d8db5a14f

Last edited:
One month later after the previous post, with USUM totally finishing and me not participating in any tournament of that Tier in this forum, I think its time I share my 3 favourite creations of the Generation:

https://pokepast.es/2cf1868b1fd0390c

This is my first good SM Team, made all the way back to November of 2016. I have been updating it since then to adapt it to all the Metagame trends, especially in the first SM Months, when Megas were being released one after another.

The team features an unique style in Sun Room. Anyone that speaks often with me (not many people, admitedly) knows that I hate the one typical Trick Room team from ladder (the one with Cresselia and Uxie) and consider it terrible, because it loses to almost everything. In my opinion, Trick Room setters have to have sinergy and be durable instead of being an HO type of team. So, explosions, lunar dances and Mementos are not my way to go. Therefore, when I knew that a Mon that I already used in BW OU (Exeggutor) got an Alola form while maintaining Harvest, I knew I had to do a team with it. Even with an Alola form, Exeggutor has tons of weaknesses but he is strong and bulky on the phisical side. Harvest + Sitrus Berry lets him live longer and when there is Sun, the ability activates every turn. Sun also boosts Flamethrower, his only non-Stab Move. People that don,t play NU/PU can sometimes be surprised by the Flmathrower, since they don,t even know what Exeggutor does. Back in 2016/17, Exeggutor was a good check for Outrage-less Zygardes and Kartana (which didn,t have Knock Off until USUM), made Dugtrio a liability and won 1vs1 against any HP Ice-less Aegislash when there was no TR. Along with Marowak, Exeggutor is the only Mon in this team that never changed his set, this one is the optimal for OU.

If Egg (and other 2 Mons) puts TR, Zard helps with the Sun part. Unlike Exeggutor, Charizard had been changing his set constantly. Fire Blast, Solar Beam and Focus Blast are must moves on him, so they have always been there. The last moves had been varying from Roost (which I generally don,t like on Zard-Y), HP Electric (for Pelipper, Mantine and Gyarados), HP Ice (Zygarde and Chomp), Dragon Pulse (for every dragon, especially Zard-X, which is a huge threat due to the Sun) and Ancient Power (to win the mirror match-up, Zard-X and all the dumb people in early USUM that thought that Talonflame was still good). Finally, during the OLT of this year I decided to put Defog. Charizard is a good Defogger, since he scares Ferro, Gliscor, Clefable, Hippo and even some Heatran sets. Not only the Moves changed, the nature and the EV Spread did. Originally it was a Quiet Zard, yet without Min EVs to outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt and 0 Speed Rotom-W outside of TR. Since then, I have been increasing the Speed to outspeed diferent thread, and finally settled it to Max Speed Timid, in order to have a fast Mon outside of TR.

Victini in Sun is a monster. But its much more than that, since he has an amazing 100/100/100 bulk for an offensive Mon. In TR, that Bulk is partially invested with the HP EVs. TR, Bolt Strike and V-Create need no explanation, except for the part that the STAB Moves makes Victini faster in TR every time he uses it. Brick Break has 2 Main targets, Heatran and Tyranitar. However, it also has one important use in breaking Screeens and Aurora Veil. Victini easily switches into Ninetales and Screens Koko. The 8 last EVs of Victini originally have been invested in PDef, until Genesect got banned, when they changed to SDef (for Download Porygons). The item its also not the original one, which was Flame Plate to murder even more foes. When Mega-Mawile was released, I had to put a Colbur Berry to make a good check.

Magearna is usually the Z Move user in TR teams. I, however, decided to make it a pivot too, with Volt Switch. Not always the good play is to use TR right of the bat, sometimes its better to pivot into a diferent Mon to gain advantage. Fleur Cannon need no explanation and the other Move is the one that has been changing between Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball (this was the way to go in Aegi Meta against Sub-Toxic variants), and finally Focus Blast. Shuca Berry lets Magearna either put TR against things like Lando, or straight-up kill things like Garchomp. It was even more useful when Landorus-I was still around.

Mandibuzz is one of my favourite and most underrated Defoguers. She tanks everything from both sides and annoys opponents with Foul Play or Knock Off (her original last Move). In Aegislash, Landorus-I and Mega Metagross Meta, Mandibuzz was really amazing as a reliable check to all of them. When I made the team, she had Foul Play and Knock Off, without a Z Move. Later, Mawile and Heracross were released and I tried Brave Bird for the latter, and Heat Wave + Firium-Z for the former. Heracross turned out to be an uncommon threat and Mawile not nearly as threating as I feared, unlike Heatran, which after the Dugtrio Ban seemed to be everywhere. To solve that problem and the even more (for the team) dangerous Diancie, I decided to use Bone Rush + Groundium Z to lure them and do huge damage.

Marowak is a Sun abusser, Rocker and Electric inmunity all in one. Was also a good Pheromosa check. Had the same set from the beginning.

Some Replays of this team:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokespain-gen7pokebankou-3223 < December of 2016. You don,t know this opponent, and he is not very known, but back in 2016, it was the guy who I had to defeat in a prestigious Spanish Regional Tournament. This was far from the last battle of that Tournament, but my team (Catalonia + Basque Country, ruled by the mighty Misicloud) finally ended up taking the trophy. As for the battle, well, Victini killed almost all the enemy team.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-620095454 < July of 2017, with most Megas already being in the game. The tour was less importat, but the oponnent was stronger. I needed some luck with Zard to not lose patetically, but after that the team showed its full strength.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-956342881-84iuztagem9nxd8d4fp4cx04iki9idspw < A much more recent Replay, August of 2019, Oficial Ladder Tour. Even in a bad match-up like this one, with an unfortunate flinch to Magearna, the Sun Room still manages to Win battles in this Meta, in this case thanks to the star Mon, Exeggutor.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...n-2019-sm-ou-discussion.3650456/#post-8193040 < Already posted about this team here, no need to do it again. It is one of my Top 3 favourite teams.

Time to put the last and my most favourite one out of the 3.

https://pokepast.es/e9fed8b9f4809512

Yes, this works, I swear. You don,t need more than 1 OU Pokemon to succeed in OU, especially on ladder, where this team was the one I used the most in the entire Generation. People that has seen it or faced me with this team can aknowledge that it can win against almost any opponent if well played.

I always liked Hail. Back in DPP and BW the weather was permanent and it was way easier to build this kind of teams, but even from XY to nowadays the style is more than viable. I have been building Hail teams every once in a while, but this one is special, since the inspiration were real life events. It was simple: I went to Lithuania to work this last January, and saw it all covered in snow when I arrived. This was the very first team I have built in that country and my proudest creation of SM OU.

Even with 4 turns of damage (yes, they are only 4, not 5), that passive damage combined with hazards and Status ends up wearing out many kinds of teams. And thats really the Main strategy of this team, to wear the opponents out. Of course, defensive teams need ofensive power too, and who better than the Mega and Hail provider known as Abomasnow for that? Apart from making snow, he is the Wallbreaker of the team, the revenge killer (when opponents are in Ice Shard range) and a good check of dangerous threats like entire Rain teams, Gliscor and Mega Gyarados. His 3 STAB Moves need no explanation, however the coverage one changes from battle to battle, depending on what I think the opponent will bring: Earthquake hits Fire and Steel types like Heatran, Magearna and Jirachi, also being the move that damages Toxapex the most; HP Fire hits Scizor, which otherwise is full counter, its also the move that damages Ferro (which is 3-4hit KOd anyway) and Mega Mawile the most; Focus Punch is mainly to acelerate the battle against Stall teams, it does respectable 60% to Chansey, which sometimes is the only check to Abomasnow; Rock Slide is solely for Volcarona, which otherwise is one of the biggest threats for the team. I ripped the EV Spread from someone on this forum in the XY era (pre-ORAS). It turned out to be a very good spread, since Standart Mega Diancie never OHKOs Abomasnow from full, something that many opponent don,t expect at all.

Primarina has a godly typing. It diferentiates from Fini by being able to use Rest and from defensive Azumarill by her much higher offensive power. Compared with Fini, its a little frailer but a little stronger too and the disadvantage is compensated by the ability to use Rest. Primarina absorbs Status and spreads Burns, while checking well every OU Ground, Heatran, Ass Ninja, Mega Gyarados and Weavile among other things. This mon is truly really good in OU.

Defensive Drill is my only OU Mon here. Ironically, its also the weakest link in this team, since he only can cure himself with Leftovers. Like Primarina, he has a godly defensive typing that lets him humillate Koko and check Focus Blast-less Magearna, Psychics, Clefable, EP-less Diancie, etc. His special bulk is good, since he resists every single Move from offensive non-LO/Specs/Firum Heatran from full. He is inmune to both Poison and Thunder Wave, letting him to be a good Status absorber too. Drill is one of the Hazard Removers of this team and he can put Rocks too, even against Mega Sableye teams, which lets me aply offensive pressure in those match-ups. Drill needs to be played very carefully, but his roles are esential for the team.

About Rotom-H I already wrote in the previous team, I have nothing to add to that.

Reuniclus is one of the Win Conditions here, especially against other bulky teams. His Main role, however, is to absorb Status and check Mega Medicham, a dangerous foe. As Mega Sableye is not inmune to Hail and has a full counter in Primarina, I don,t fear being walled by him, therefore using Focus Blast as a coverage to destroy Tyranitar and Bisharp.

Finally, Mandibuzz, another Mon that already appeared here. Main Kartana check and Defoguer, she is inmune to Hail and the only Mon that can afford Toxic in this team.

Hope you have enjoyed the post. I originally planned to write some honourable mentions, but the post took way more time than expected. Can,t wait to start building for SS and see if Hail, Sun, Stall and Trick Room teams are viable there.

:venusaur-mega: :hydreigon: :zapdos: :magearna: :kartana: :garchomp:
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Hydreigon @ Metronome
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 SpA / 32 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Magearna @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 92 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Giga Impact

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

Shoutout to Jordy for aiding me in building this team.
I always liked Dreigon in OU, I thought it had bulk, speed, and firepower compressed into one with a decent defensive typing, and since my favorite pokemon was MVenu, I decided to make a team centered around them!
I'm not going to go in detail, I just wanted to post my most recent favorite team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)