Metagame XY Doubles OU (VR Post #2, Samples Post #3)

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
[THREAD UPDATES]

[VIABILITY RANKINGS]

The XY DOU Viability Rankings is being updated! This was quite due with the recent unbanning of Mega Salamence in the format. Votes for this consider developments throughout XY Cup, ORASPL, and the RoA Swiss Tour. This vote was done with myself, qsns, Tenzai, SMB, Actuarily, and Yuichi.

Rises
:salamence-mega:Mega Salamence UR -> 3 !!!
:gardevoir-mega:Mega Gardevoir: 4 -> 3
:manectric-mega:Mega Manectric: 4 -> 3
:excadrill:Excadrill: UR -> 4

:mew:Mew: UR -> 4

Falls
:heatran:Heatran: 3 -> 4
To see the new updated VR with these changes in effect, please see the second post on this thread!

We hope this will be useful to anyone who wants to get into XY for DPL and DOU Circuit tours that feature Oldgens! These rankings will be revisited at an appropriate time in the future.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Hello, DOU Community!!! This is the 1st entry of DPL Oldgens Tech of the Week!!!!!!!!!! A weekly segment where I talk about something very epic I noticed in an Oldgens game, discussing its place in the team it's used and how it makes fits within the context of a broader meta.

For DPL IX Week 1, we'll be looking at the following set used by KyleCole:

:xy/thundurus-therian:
Specially Defensive Thundurus-T
Revealed Moves
: Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
Kylecole's team: :gengar-mega: / :Heatran: / :Scrafty: / :Terrakion: / :Thundurus-Therian: / :Whimsicott:

Looking at how Thundurus-T fits in the broader XY meta, it should be be quite clear what holds Thundurus-T back from seeing any use—it competes too directly with Thundurus-I, its other forme which, despite having a lower special attack, possesses much more effective utility in Prankster Thunder Wave. This utility lets it be a reliable response to Mega Gengar, a metagame top dog, as well as to other fast threats such as Deoxys-A, Mega Salamence, and Kingdra in rain. Prankster Thunder Wave, paired with its ability to check many other threats such as Landorus-T, opposing Thundurus, and Volcanion with its typing, coverage, and bulk, makes Thundurus the overall more reliable glue Pokemon.

It's important to note that Thundurus-I, and really almost the entirety of the XY metagame as a whole, often opt to go for Special Defense rather than Defense if choosing to run bulk. A lot of this is because of Landorus-T. Landorus-T, as an overall package, is one of the strongest attackers in the metagame as its Earthquake is really good at cleaning up teams. At the same time, this also makes Landorus-T a highly viable defensive pick, as it's also one of the best answers to itself, being a Ground-immune Pokemon with nice access to Intimidate. The incredible utility of having a Landorus-T means that Intimidate is easily accessible, which also means that other Pokemon are often free to run Special Defense instead to be better against the metagame's plethora of Special Attacking threats. It really is telling that the best physical attackers are the ones that can function despite Landorus-T, to name a few examples:
  • Mega Kangaskhan, while technically a physical attacker, deals constant damage with Seismic Toss and is thus unaffected by Intimidate
  • Diancie has Clear Body
  • Bisharp has Defiant, and it is good in XY primarily because it exploits this trend of Intimidate being the first answer to physical attackers
  • Mega Swampert can punish Landorus-T being on the field with a strong Waterfall.
There are physical attackers that do see use but are quite affected by Intimidate, such as Talonflame, Terrakion, Tyranitar, and Excadrill. Sand as an archetype really detests the popularity of Landorus-T as its main attackers are naturally countered, and the reintroduction of Mega Salamence is what is giving Sand a bit of a resurgence as Mega Salamence is naturally favored into Landorus-T. Terrakion is also similarly annoyed by Landorus-T, as its Close Combat is resisted, and it is really dependent on getting a Beat Up or flinching it or something to break through. Talonflame, meanwhile, still has the utility in priority Brave Bird; even while -1, its usefulness in certain positions cannot be denied. Defensive and utility physical attacking Pokemon, such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Scrafty, don't really mind Intimidate as much by nature of their roles.

The effectiveness of Landorus-T amplifies Thundurus's ability to be a pivot, as it can then freely dedicate itself to investing in Special Defense. With a high amount of SpD, it becomes much more effective at taking hits in an XY metagame that is predominated by Special Attackers, from individual top metagame threats in Volcanion, opposing Thundurus, and Mega Gengar, to archetype defining Pokemon such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Manectric, Kingdra, and Deoxys-Attack. Landorus-T's current place in the metagame lets Thundurus run high SpD and be really good at trading damage against pretty much anything.

Still, the only fundamental difference between Incarnate and Therian is that Incarnate has Prankster Thunder Wave, while Therian instead has a somewhat higher Special Attack and Volt Absorb. If, for some reason, Prankster Thunder Wave is something that could be made replaceable in the builder, then Thundurus-T could be a niche alternative, as it has the same typing, coverage, and bulk and largely trades with the same threats while also being marginally better against Volcanion and opposing Thundurus. The question here, then, is: "How can a team be built so that it can actually use the more trade-centric version rather than the one with undeniable utility?". KyleCole's response here, it seems, is through the use of Prankster Whimsicott, Eject Button Scrafty, and Mega Gengar.

As mentioned, a lot of Prankster Thunder Wave's utility is it allows teams an easy out against rain, Mega Gengar, Deoxys-A, and Mega Salamence. However, Prankster Tailwind from Whimsicott does functionally allow the same thing for teams, but on a much shorter window; despite having a team-wide effect, Tailwind can also still ocassionally find itself insufficient as some slow teammates can still miss out on key benchmarks such as 394 even despite the doubled Speed, but it seems that only Scrafty on KyleCole's team will have that problem here. With Whimsicott, Eject Button Scrafty, and Mega Gengar, KyleCole can theoritcally match their Speed with Tailwind and then proceed to isolate these threats, preventing them from being too problematic throughout the game and essentially doing Prankster Thunder Wave's job.

How does Thundurus-Therian fit in his team then? Well, it seems that, along with Terrakion and Heatran, Thundurus-T's fit is as an attacker that is meant to engage on specific threats that KyleCole needs dealt with. Paired with Mega Gengar, Thundurus-T is meant to hunt for specific match-ups within the needs of the team, while also being the one that has nice access to a pivot move in Volt Switch among the three. The team is essentially aiming to maximize Thundurus-T's particular niche—considering the aim is purely to kill, and also considering that Prankster Thunder Wave's utility is theoretically matched by the rest of the team, then Thundurus-T can be considered to be a fine option on the team.

Looking at KyleCole's set specifically, its being Specially Defensive is revealed by how little it took from a crit Hyper Voice off of unboosted CM Sylveon. However, you'd be surprised to know that it's not even as bulky as it could be; off calculations from a usual CM Sylveon, it's possible that this Thundurus set is either Assault Vest without much special bulk, or it has near-full Special Defense investment with a different item such Expert Belt or a resist berry or something (unlikely to be Safety Goggles due to Thunderbolting an Amoonguss using Rage Powder, but could also be going for the paralysis into full paralysis out as team has no Sleep immunities other than Whimsicott otherwise). It only revealed two moves, Volt Switch and Thunderbolt, both of which are sensible choices within the context of the team. Theorizing on the rest of its moveset, it could quite reasonably be running Hidden Power Ice and Superpower, both moves that are already run on Thundurus-I anyway; despite having 10 less base Attack, Superpower does still get the KO on Bisharp, the one target where it actually matters, with the hit on Tyranitar being hit-or-miss regardless of Thundurus version anyway. KyleCole could also be running Sky Drop and Protect. Really, who knows, but its role on the team is clearly quite defined by how it took that Hyper Voice so well.

The final thing to consider then, is: is Thundurus-T really better than Thundurus-I on this team? I've discussed the two in this post, and they do have their particular niches. As a participant in this tour, I won't answer this one just yet :business: but let me just say that this decision by KyleCole is one aspect of what makes Competitive Pokemon quite interesting. As players, we can be defined not only by the choices we make in-game but also for what we put and load onto the builder, and how it all unravels is what makes these tournaments the spectacle that it is.

See you all next week for the second entry, in another Oldgen thread!!!

I'm here to argue on behalf of my good friend ENTEI for Tier 4. It used to be more relevant when Jirachi still gave us nightmares, but i'd argue that it's still a great pokemon on certain teams for applying offensive pressure. It can OHKO Thundurus, Mega Gengar, and Amoongus, 2HKO any other tier 1 and tier 2 mon, and Sacred Fire has a 50% chance to burn. Not a lot of relevant mons can comfortably switch into a Sacred Fire or Stone Edge. Extreme Speed is great for cleaning up late game and it's bulky enough to run sitrus berry, giving it the ability to cripple Kang if it gets the burn on Sacred Fire. Safety Goggles and Choice Band are also good options.
Conclusion: It offends me deeply that Entei is UR and I hope the council is tried for their crimes.
IMG_1442.PNG

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Hello, DOU Community!!! This is the 4th entry of DPL Oldgens Tech of the Week!!!!!!!!!! A (supposedly) weekly segment where I talk about something very epic I noticed within the Oldgens scene, discussing its place in the team it's used and how it makes fits within the context of a broader meta. For the entry dedicated to DPL IX Week 4, we are going to talk about one of XY's rising stars:
:bw/thundurus:
Defiant Thundurus
Revealed Moves:
Wild Charge / Sky Drop / Protect / Volt Switch
Replays:
talkingtree, vs Grandmas Cookin (Week 4)
Grandmas Cookin, vs Yellow Paint (Week 3)
SingleThunder, vs Mako (Week 3)
SingleThunder, vs Yuichi (Week 2)
zee, vs Mako (Week 1)
Raf, vs Croven (Week 1)

Why XY Defiant Thundurus?

No haha Thundurus is NOT my favorite Pokemon hahaha what makes you think that? xD

Prankster Thundurus is one of the best Pokemon in the XY DOU format, the threat that puts a plethora of many others in check thanks to the sheer power of Prankster Thunder Wave and its ability to trade evenly. Prankster Thunder Wave lets it reliably respond to many powerful offensive threats, such as Mega Gengar, Kingdra, Deoxys-A, and Mega Salamence, while the combination of typing, coverage, naturally high base Special Attack, and capability of investing purely in bulk within the XY metagame lets it trade well into Landorus-T, Volcanion, and just about about any other special attacking threat there is. With Prankster Thunder Wave being quite the powerful tool, immunities to Thunder Wave are quite valuable; this makes Thundurus itself all the more valuable, as it can both render Thunder Wave futile as well as trade evenly in the mirror. Prankster Thundurus, in summary, is one of XY DOU's premier glue Pokemon.

However, Defiant Thundurus's usefulness comes in a different flair. It doesn't aim to defensively answer threats for teammates to clean up later—rather, it's the one doing the heavy hitting. It doesn't aim to be a check—rather, it wants to dictate the pace of the game and force opponents to check it. It's not a glue—it's the tip of the spear, an attacking piece meant to force the issue and break down the opposing team quickly for a decisive advantage. While Prankster Thundurus is still undeniably the generally more reliable variant, the spiking relevance of Defiant Thundurus comes as a sharp response to a common line in XY DOU play: the use of Landorus-T as a Thundurus response.

Complacence. How many times have you seen it already, a Landorus-T coming in onto a Thundurus to soak up an Electric-type move? Or how about a Landorus-T facing off against Thundurus in the lead matchup? As I already discussed in my Week 1 write-up, the XY metagame tends to invest mostly in Special Defense due to the omnipresence of Landorus-T and its Intimidate, which renders typical physical Attackers moot by itself. Of course, included in the Pokemon that opt to go specially defensive is Landorus-T itself—do not be surprised if some XY teams you watch or have access to the paste of have an Assault Vest Landorus-T in tow, and even Rocky Helmet sets run a significant amount Special Defense, as Rocky Helmet's most relevant application is simply just to punish Mega Kangaskhan's typically uninvested Fake Out, anyway. Landorus-T often finds itself comfortable enough to take a Hidden Power Ice and trade with Stone Edge, and Thundurus generally does not run full special offensive sets enough anymore to deter this common line.

Defiant Thundurus turns this play into a possible nightmare scenario for the player switching in their Landorus-T, as Thundurus suddenly becomes capable of punching holes into a team's defensive formation. Electric / Fighting / Flying coverage actually hits a significant portion of the metagame super effectively, including Volcanion, Amoonguss, Mega Kangaskhan, Bisharp, Kyurem-B, and Tyranitar. With a +1 boost, even neutral targets such as Mega Gengar, Mega Gardevoir, and opposing Thundurus start needing to respect getting outright destroyed by Wild Charge. Just look at this calc, which comes as quite relevant when going into a Thundurus + Landorus-T lead matchup:

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 352-417 (97.5 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Defiant Thundurus is dangerous enough that it actually changes how one approaches the Thundurus matchup, as a well-positioned and unexpected Defiant Thundurus is capable of ending a game by forcing quick, bad trades for the opposing player. I would know, because the first time I encountered this while testing in ORASPL, I got swiftly 6-0'd at lead because I cluelessly switched in my Landorus-T to take the Electric move. Switching in Landorus-T becomes a much tougher call to make, with some scouting of the Thundurus set being necessary for an aware and diligent player; in today's environment, you'd likely to see players do some maneuvering with their Thundurus take the possible Thunder Wave while using their bulky Pokemon, such as AV Conkeldurr and Amoonguss, to safely scout an attack. The rising prominence of Defiant Thundurus as an actual, plausible threat has fundamentally changed how modern XY DOU is played, even if just a little bit.

This rise has, in turn, made the stock of Thundurus as a Pokemon rise as well. Of course, Landorus-T no longer being the immediate response means that Prankster Thundurus gets a little more time to be a terrorist. There is also the fact that Thundurus now boasts two different sets that require different responses, and there is a signficant overlap in teams they fit on—of course, this is mostly because Prankster Thundurus can fit anywhere, but there are significant enough tells that should make one more wary than normal of a team having Defiant Thundurus, which I will tell you about later. Still, look at this Week 3 team by talkingtree; the Thundurus on this team could very well be either set as both could sensibly be run on this composition, and the revelation of Superpower is not enough of a tell due to Prankster Thundurus also being known to run the move. The Thundurus also revealing itself to not be Life Orb is not enough of a tell, neither, due to Defiant Thundurus being able to just run other items like Safety Goggles or Magnet or something. This ambiguity is why I decided to not include this replay in the above list, as the other appearing Thundurus I know for a fact are Defiant.

Its sets does not need much said about. Wild Charge is the best STAB move purely because of its Base Power and despite the recoil, with Thunder Punch often missing out on wanted kills. Sky Drop is a powerful move for spacing as well as for damage with a boost, being quite nifty into Amoonguss and Conkeldurr. While Superpower is unrevealed in the replays, its the best 3rd move Defiant Thundurus can have because it's a nifty kill option into Mega Kangaskhan, Bisharp, and Tyranitar. There really isn't any other 3rd move that Defiant Thundurus would really want as its goal should be to force as much kills as possible; while Knock Off would be tempting, it doesn't really force a kill onto anything. Life Orb is typically the item of choice, as more damage = more kill thresholds. However, SingleThunder did use an Assault Vest set with Volt Switch, which theoritically lets it function as bulky answer to AV Volcanion due to hitting physically instead. However, this set loses out on so much power that it strays from what makes Defiant Thundurus good in the first place, which is its explosiveness when capitalizing on the Defiant boost, and this set is also an unreliable answer to Volcanion anyway due to the possibility of a burn from Steam Eruption. There was also a Life Orb variant used by zee that is presumably Adamant and thus ends up slower than Mega Kangaskhan—I honestly don't have much to say other than, uh, I personally wouldn't do my Defiant Thund like that lol. I respect the idea of greeding for more Attack, but I don't think Defiant Thundurus really needs it and missing out on Jolly Mega Kangaskhan (as seen) as well as the muskadeers Terrakion and Keldeo can feel really bad.

Now that's all said and done, let me make something clear...

You Are Probably Misunderstanding Defiant Thundurus

The thing with Defiant Thundurus is that it can also be easy to misunderstand what makes it good in the first place. Despite it being a Defiant Pokemon, deterring Landorus-T and not letting your own Pokemon from being Intimidated is not what makes this set particularly good. Rather, you want Landorus-T to get into the field, because punishing Lando-T's very existence within the context of the game is what Defiant Thundurus excels at. Defiant Thundurus is not a check to Landorus-T by any means, but rather it is a win-big option that aims to exploit the fact that Landorus-T is omnipresent within the XY DOU metagame, often being a foundational piece in a team's defensive backbone. Landorus-T being able to go special defensive means that it checks threats not just with Intimidate alone; SpDef Lando-T is often quite important in a team's matchup against the likes of Mega Gengar, Sylveon, Volcanion, and Mega Gardevoir, among other assorted special attackers. Having a threatening cost on switching in the format's best pivot can be quite restricting to play against.

In addition, Defiant Thundurus is not a check to Landorus-T because it literally cannot touch Landorus-T. No, Sky Dropping Landorus-T is not a play because that just invites a Stone Edge to the face, and this not even considering the fact that Sky Drop doesn't deal damage to Landorus-T in the first place. Thus, Defiant Thundurus wants teammates that have strong kill options into Landorus-T, such as Kyurem-B, Deoxys-A, and Keldeo. A team having a bunch of these should send your neurons firing, because often enough Prankster Thundurus already makes up a significant portion of a team's Landorus-T matchup, and a team stacking multiple other Landorus-T answers should merit consideration of the Thundurus being unable to touch Landorus-T at all. Defiant Thundurus cannot actually do its job of breaking down the rest of the opposing team if Landorus-T is still on the field threatening to trade it immediately.

It's honestly funny to think about, how Defiant Thundurus punishes Landorus-T despite the inability to damage it at all. Still, even though the jig is up and it no longer has the same element of surprise as it did before, Defiant Thundurus still has value because its super effective coverage is still good and Sky Drop is still a fundamentally strong attack on a fast Pokemon. While it's the ability to get a boost and destroy the rest of an opposing Landorus-T's team which makes it worth talking about on this platform, Defiant Thundurus still has respectable damage unboosted. In addition, there is still another way for Defiant Thundurus to get max value even if Landorus-T doesn't actively switch in while Thundurus is on the field, as our look into a specific use case will show...

There is definitely a wrong way to use Defiant Thundurus, however, and throughout DPL we've seen it appear in teams it had seemingly no sense being in.

Case #1: Week 3 Grandmas Cookin, vs Yellow Paint - Gma here pulls up with a variant of Mega Gardevoir + Double Redirection, with Amoonguss and Clefairy being his redirectors of choice. This composition is quite standard, both Volcanion and Landorus-T seemingly being Assault Vest, but instead of the usual Prankster Thundurus, the team instead uses Defiant Thundurus. I argue that this is a grave mistake because the default Prankster Thundurus set is quite integral to how the team functions—not only is Prankster Thunder Wave key in letting Mega Gardevoir get a decisive speed advantage over various fast threats, it is also important for Thundurus in the team composition to be actually capable of checking Landorus-T itself, threatening it with a Hidden Power Ice. The ability of Defiant Thundurus to capitalize on Landorus-T's presence and punch a hole through opposing pieces is unnecessary as the whole premise of Mega Gardevoir + Double Redirection is Mega Gardevoir already doing that kind of work for the team by itself, and instead the other non-redirector pieces just need to be able to check situational threats. Landorus-T, in particular, is one such key threat for the teamcomp as it is a typically specially bulky physical attacker with access to a strong spread move in Earthquake, and thus Thundurus's ability to deal with it is vital to the team's success. This decision to run a Defiant variant instead of Prankster is arguably game deciding; a specially defensive Thundurus could have capably matched and traded into Skymin, Keldeo, and Landorus-T, and its Prankster Thunder Wave could also have been big, with Yellow Paint's team being quite fast compared to the typical modern XY team. Gma's Defiant Thundurus ended up quite lackluster here, essentially just being used to get the trade onto Deoxys-A and not much else of note.

Case #2: Week 1 Raf, vs Croven - The use of Defiant Thundurus nonwithstanding, I'm already pessimistic of the Storms's team as Mega Kangakshan / Mew / Bisharp isn't really a comp that sees use in modern XY and I personally don't really see the theory. Looking at the usecase of Defiant Thundurus specifically, though... it just seems bizarre to me, pairing it with a Bisharp, a Pokemon that theoretically deters Landorus-T from coming onto the field, which is the direct opposite of what Defiant Thundurus wants. They also overlap in the sense that they practically do the same thing of exploiting a Landorus-T coming onto the field, and it just ends up leaving me the feeling of the slot being used to something more... actually practical? I feel that a special defensive Prankster Thundurus could have also been quite gamechanging here, being able to match Mega Gengar and Deoxys-A in key turns and threatening them with a Thunder Wave, which would in turn could have let raf preserve Volcanion for actually matching Ferrothorn when needed instead of being forced to sack it to Deoxys-A. The team did have Ice Beam / Will-O-Wisp Mew, which does deal with Landorus-T quite reasonably, so kudos to that synergy. Still, the team leaves a lot to be desired, and I feel that they overcooked it a bit—fortunately, it was only Week 1 at the time, and they did recalibrate and come out with more solid teams later on, relatively speaking.

In contrast, there is definitely a right way to using Defiant Thundurus, which was exemplarily displayed by our hero:

Case #3: Week 4 talkingtree, vs Grandmas Cookin - First and foremost, team check: packing both Kyurem-B and Deoxys-A, talkingtree boasts two strong attacking threats that can capably pin down Landorus-T. The Kyurem-B could also be an Assault Vest variant, which would be able to match the defensive duties that a Prankster Thundurus would ordinarily be expected to take. Mega Kangaskhan is generally one of the better Mega Evolutions to use Defiant Thundurus with, as it is a threat that Rocky Helmet Landorus-T is expected to match and its Seismic Toss trade reasonably well regardless. With regard to having a team that can use Defiant Thundurus to its fullest potential, talkingtree gets full marks.

It showed in just how well the actual Thundurus performed in this game. While talkingtree clearly won the early-game by playing their Mega Kangaskhan so boldly, turn 4 was what truly gave them the decisive advantage—recognizing that Gma is heavily incentivized to switch into their Landorus-T in this position due to Amoonguss being in the threat of lethal from talkingtree's Landorus-T, talkingtree then doubles their Thundurus onto the field, knowing that their Volcanion would have the faster switch than Gma's Amoonguss and thus putting Defiant Thundurus in position to get an Attack boost. The Thundurus then being able to force getting half of Diancie's HP in the following turn was also huge, as Diancie was still a big threat for talkingtree's team especially while behind Amoonguss support. Thundurus then manages to squeeze out its last bits of value by Sky Dropping the Landorus-T slot, which inexplicably opts to hard switch into Amooonguss instead of U-turning out and allows the Thundurus to get another kill for free. While this is not exactly the dream scenario for Defiant Thundurus, this was still a good display of how it can get value out of Landorus-T through double switching, and overall this was Defiant Thundurus's best showing in the tour thus far.

Conclusion

Defiant Thundurus has very much made its mark in the modern XY DOU landscape. Despite really being a somewhat rogue pick, its highs are really high and in a best-of-1 format tournament such as DPL, pulling the wool over someone's eyes for just a turn or two can have a lasting impact throughout the game—much so, that it is quite reasonable to just play around the possiblity of Defiant Thundurus, if just for a moment, considering that alternative plays to simply switching Landorus-T in do not cost much anyway. Of course, the lingering question now is: how does this compare to Prankster Thundurus?

Let's be real, the two are not even close to viability. If Prankster Thundurus is undoubtedly Tier 1, then Defiant Thundurus is around... Tier 3 or something? Which is to say, in a format where the 3 or 4 Pokemon can be defaulted into any team, being in consideration for one of a team's six slots at all can still be considered impressive. Despite being the same Pokemon, the two don't even really compete against each other in the first place; building with Defiant Thundurus is a conscious decision taken early in the building phase, while the decision to use utility Thundurus often comes later due to its role as a glue. Still, using Defiant Thundurus does still come at the opportunity cost of not being able to use one of the best pivots and speed control supporters in the format, and a lot of builders should really take this into heavier consideration; even if Defiant Thundurus does not have a competing niche, it does still take away the option to use a Pokemon that could significantly boost a team's win percentages, and it did show how in some replays, a Prankster Thundurus could have made a game much easier to play.

Will Defiant Thundurus continue to still see use? Probably. Let's just say, Defiant Thundurus still has more to show, particularly in DPL and in XY Cup considering its niche in the metagame is still firm. As long as Landorus-T is relevant, Defiant Thundurus will have a place in teams to come.

DPL was a great time! Although I could not maintain my 1:1 participation:winner ratio, I do feel like a better contributor to my team's performance with a 4-3 record. Still not the record I would have liked but I built some really bad teams and so I probably deserve it.

:scizor-mega: :thundurus: :volcanion: :gothitelle: :kyurem-black: :terrakion:
Week 1 vs Mako (L)

This is the team that I think I'm most embarrassed of and Memoric called me out perfectly in his week 1 predictions, saying I would lose because I cooked way too hard. Don't really know why I felt like my return to the tier for the first time in four months had to be with Mega Scizor, but I was really paranoid of Deoxys-Attack offense (what I ended up playing was a balanced team featuring Deoxys) and picked one of the worst avenues to solve my problem. Timid Special Attack HP Ice goth was to outspeed and ohko rocks lando before it moved... don't ask. Oh and don't ever greed EVs on Thund's speed... seriously i am awful LOL

:kangaskhan-mega: :thundurus-therian: :gastrodon: :diancie: :hoopa-unbound: :genesect:
Week 2 vs Yellow Paint (W)

On the other hand this is a team I'm really proud of and a direction of XY building I really enjoy. The main premise is using Kangakshan + Pivots to throw a lot of damage onto the board while keeping Safety Goggles Hoopa/Diancie out to threaten Amoonguss + Partner, closing the game with Trick Room when ready. Of course in my match vs YP I mostly got to show off the fast mode's power with some timely sky drops and the Helping Hand Extremespeed.

:kangaskhan-mega: :thundurus: :volcanion: :clefable: :bisharp: :terrakion:
Week 3 vs talkingtree (L)

Honestly this was the week I was most discouraged in, because the game got away from me in a state where I still felt it playable but I digress. It's a PuP Kang team with Goggles Clefable because Togekiss's weaknesses are far more present in the metagame. I think there are better ways to build Kangaskhan than this but it was good to me in tests.

:gengar-mega: :conkeldurr: :gastrodon: :diancie: :kyurem-black: :genesect:
Week 4 vs Akaru Kokuyo (W), Week 6 vs Grandmas Cookin (W)

It's basically a Gengar version of the team I brought to YP, except it focuses more on winning trades than pivoting and spreading damage in the early game, hence the Gengar and Conkeldurr. I used to think KB was also an exceptional pokemon for winning damage trades but in every game I used it in during this tour he just kinda flopped around. I clicked boom in the Akaru game and got some good board out of it.

:kangaskhan-mega: :thundurus: :deoxys-attack: :whimsicott: :kyurem-black: :terrakion:
Week 5 vs Memoric (L)

A concept I was really proud of despite the loss - I was looking for something really in your face to throw off Memoric's by the books choices. I should've committed to Beat Up in the early game but I think I chose not to because I was scared of Trick Room... which is silly given I should always know what 4th move is on a Memoric Gardevoir. Not my best play.

:gengar-mega: :thundurus: :volcanion: :whimsicott: :landorus-therian: :terrakion:
Week 7 vs SingleThunder (W)

I finally caved a brought a Landorus... if you've heard me talk about this tier in recent times you've probably heard me bash the mon, and it's true, I'm probably lower on it than any other player from the XY pool. However, I got really paranoid SingleThunder would know I wanted to TerraCott them and bring something like Salamence Sand, so I decided it'd be in my best interest to add a Landorus-T last second. Going with a full SpDef set helped me stay in front of their Keldeo with confidence which I don't think they were expecting.

I guess I'm happy to go positive but the really poor teams and poor play leave me feeling like I could've gone 5-2 or 6-1 in this pool in peak form. Guess there's next year for that though.

EDIT: Adding my VR!

Tier 1: :volcanion: :thundurus: :landorus-therian:

Tier 2: :gengar-mega: :kangaskhan-mega: :amoonguss:

Tier 3: :diancie: :deoxys-attack: :sylveon: :genesect: :gardevoir-mega: :conkeldurr: :talonflame: :ferrothorn::kyurem-black:

Tier 4: :manectric-mega: :diancie-mega: :salamence-mega: :terrakion: :aegislash: :gastrodon: :whimsicott: :mew: :heatran: :hoopa-unbound: :keldeo: :jellicent: :porygon2: :togekiss:

Tier 5: :excadrill: :tyranitar: :cresselia: :shaymin-sky: :swampert-mega: :politoed: :ludicolo: :scrafty: :thundurus-therian: :clefairy: :rotom-wash: :raichu:

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
DPL was a great time! Although I could not maintain my 1:1 participation:winner ratio, I do feel like a better contributor to my team's performance with 0-1 record. Still not the record I would have liked but I built some really good teams and so I probably don't deserve it.

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 148 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpA / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sableye @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Quash
- Knock Off

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Recover

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- Low Kick

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect
All these teams have the same Sceptile spread. Out runs mega salamence. You could even run it slower since no one uses that mon. Or run it faster for mega gengar. No one uses skymin so I am ok with it at this speed. Its my favorite team. I like quashing.

Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Icy Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 84 Atk / 180 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower
- Protect

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Hippowdon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Ice Fang

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
This is my second favorite team. Blaziken and Diance do well together. Its inspired by one of my much old teams with blaziken and mega diancie and latios and hippo

Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpA / 52 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Icy Wind
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 108 HP / 152 Atk / 104 Def / 144 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Trick Room
- Icy Wind
- Discharge
- Recover

Landorus-Therian @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
Its a discharge team

Shout out Cold Crew for being a great team, I'm going to be rooting all you guys in what ever tours come your way next. And especially Yoda2798 for drafting me and putting in a lot of effort to give us the best chance to win.
Thanks for testing with me qsns

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Hello, DOU Community!!! This is the 5th entry of DPL Oldgens Tech of the Week!!!!!!!!!! A (supposedly) weekly segment where I talk about something very epic I noticed within the Oldgens scene, discussing its place in the team it's used and how it makes fits within the context of a broader meta. For the entry dedicated to DPL IX Week 5, we are going to talk about the XY format's most unlikely of fast Attackers:

:bw/Cresselia:
Turbo Cress
Sets:
Cresselia (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 240 SpA / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Helping Hand

(Courtesy of talkingtree)

intellectual greed (Cresselia) (F) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpA / 64 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight

(Courtesy of Memoric)

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen6doublesou-686524
- Memoric, vs zee, Week 5
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen6doublesou-685710 - talkingtree, vs SingleThunder, Week 5

Why Turbo Cresselia?

Why indeed?

Cresselia itself has never been a popular pick in XY, or at least, not anymore. Once upon a time, it used to be a menace with Calm Mind, capable of taking over games by itself as a wincon. This set used to be so good that people even often tried to set it up by lead, to a certain user's chagrin. Nowadays, however, it's nowhere; people have gotten better at dealing with CM Cresselia, both mechanically and in the builder, and Cresselia's other sets simply do not offer much in today's metagame. In a modern XY metagame built primarily on efficient trades and inevitability, Cresselia simply had too little to offer; its typing was too plain, its recovery in Moonlight too exploitable, and its attacks often left a lot to be desired.

Of course, this description mostly applied to the typical supportive Cresselia sets that were used pre- and post-CM Cresselia. Cresselia has since reinvented itself, seemingly simultaenously in two Generations even—while XY's Cresselia usage isn't as wide in scale, both XY and BW have been seen to feature offensive Cresselia (Cresselia with significant SpA investment) as the dominant set, often boasting strong coverage with one utility move (occasionally two e.g. the Cresselia in the infamous Jellicent / CBKB FullTR). Now, in XY Week 5, we've even Turbo Cresselia used twice through sheer coincidence, the two players using it not even collaborating on its use (and no, I haven't watched talkingtree's replay yet when I built my team, neither). In unpacking why XY Turbo Cresselia has seen this specific kind of usage, we'll go over two points specifically: why Cresselia the Pokemon speicifically? and why were both fast?

Why Cresselia?

A more interesting question here is, why use Cresselia now?

The answer, of course, is the one specific flavor within this DPL that has been absent or not as prominent in previous XY team tournaments: Assault Vest Conkeldurr. The rise of Conkeldurr has given Cresselia the niche of being a Pokemon that beats it quite reliably; Conkeldurr tends to invest very little in its Attack stat in order to maximize its Special Defense for favorable trades, instead relying on the superb super effective coverage of Fighting / Ice within the XY metagame. Cresselia stops Conkeldurr quite reliably; while Cresselia is indeed weak to Knock Off, spending a turn with Conkeldurr either not clicking Drain Punch or forcing a kill with Ice Punch tends to feel quite bad, and in such a Knock Off vs Psychic-move trade, it'd be one that Cresselia wins out eventually.

The addition of this one singular match-up alone seemed to be enough to propel Cresselia into the "usable" category, considering Cresselia has already had some seemingly positive match-ups into other XY threats as well. Cresselia is a Levitate Pokemon with Ice Beam access, which means it could always be built to competently match Landorus-T, and it's a Psychic-type, which means it has STAB super effective coverage into Mega Gengar and Amoonguss. It's also quite bulky, which means it could do something annoying with its wide utility movepool, which includes Trick Room, Thunder Wave, and even Lunar Dance if it so wanted. Still, even if we say that it only got "one" new favorable match-up in the popular XY metagame, truthfully, simply one more is enough; Conkeldurr tends to be used to compliment the Genies and Mega Gengar, among others, which typically compounds a team's vulnerability to Cresselia and its offensive coverage, and in a metagame as tight as XY, where teams can be said to seemingly build themselves due to the format's particularly demanding teambuilding requirements, just having one more winning matchup among the top threats can take particularly niche Pokemon across the distance.

Why Turbo?

From a pure relative standpoint, there is a reason for why running Speed on Cresselia matters for maximizing its niche—without any Speed, Cresselia is essentially just a poor man's Porygon2, which is much bulkier, boasts a better match-up into Volcanion, and has more reliable recovery. While Porygon2 does not have the better match-up into Conkeldurr that Cresselia has, Porygon2 offers much, much more as a bulky, unkillable Trick Room setter that can force inevitability, and it is often the better choice to rework a team into having a better match-up into Conkeldurr than to use slow bulky Cresselia in teambuilding cases where specifically having a slow, bulky TR setter is desired. In other words, by running high Speed, Cresselia is able to fulfill a role within the XY metagame that no other Pokemon can, and in not running high Speed investment, Cresselia would be more-or-less obsolete.

From a practical standpoint, significant Speed investment on Cresselia matters for getting the jump on two specific threats: Landorus-T and Bisharp. Landorus-T tends to not invest much in Speed in XY, with bulky sets occasionally not running any at all and Choice Band sets incentivized to go up to Jolly to beat most bulky Thundurus-I. With Speed investment, Cresselia can outrun Landorus-T and deal significant damage with Ice Beam, and in positions where Landorus-T is in lethal range, denying it its otherwise last turn to move comes in quite handy. At the same time, the Speed investment is quite clutch for not losing tempo into Bisharp, with both shared sets actually opting to run Hidden Power Fighting to snipe it; Bisharp commonly run Adamant, with Jolly only used extremely rarely, and there is the fact that no one (at the then-current state of the XY metagame) would even consider Sucker Punching a Cresselia. Even if they did sense something fishy, it would be a really hard move to click in a hypothetical position as it would go against the convention of XY Cresselia throughout the format's entire history. Cresselia being able to get a leg up over a threat that otherwise is a major threat to most teams is quite valued.

Included in the sense of "Turbo" in Turbo Cresselia is the idea of it being significantly invested in Special Attack, and this comes with good reason. Bulky, support Cresselia simply isn't good enough; running bulk and an array of support moves does not provide enough value in XY, as these support moves often end up losing out in trades to the various inevitable threats of XY, and the support moves themselves do not provide enough value in the long run. Instead, it's Cresselia as a Levitate Pokemon with Psychic / Ice / Fighting coverage that is most valuable; it's a Ground immunity with both strong super effective coverage and the ability to take a trade or two thanks to its titanic raw bulk. Even without any defensive investment, it can take most attacks quite reliably, which leaves it able to investment to maximize its damage.

Looking into Turbo Cresselia's Two Appearances

Well, I'm gonna keep it a buck—Cresselia didn't really do much in both games! While it did switch onto the field, it didn't actually do anything of note; in fact, between both Cresselia, only one PP was spent, which was Moonlight by Memoric's Cresselia. It practically did the same thing in both games, too—in the face of a boosted Terrakion, Turbo Cresselia handily takes the Rock Slide and is poised to hit back with its Psychic STAB move... but it flinches!!! Of course, the fact that it was specifically Cresselia on the field meant that a slot could actually take a boosted Rock Slide, which I suppose is still value provided... but I digress. Still, even if Turbo Cresselia itself didn't actually perform that much, there is still value to be had in looking into why it even saw the use it had in the first place—it is important to realize that the very act of putting a particular Pokemon into the builder and bringing it into actual games is itself a conscious, rational decision, and unpacking the rationale for bringing something incredibly offbeat is itself perhaps a meaningful endeavor.

The attacks in the two sets used by Memoric and talkingtree are essentially the same. Ice Beam is primarily for Landorus-T, while Hidden Power Fighting is solely for Bisharp. Both sets run Psychic STAB, with the choice between Psyshock and Psychic being really just for specific metagame targets e.g CM Sylveon and AV Pokemon vs general power. The fourth move is where it actually gets a bit interesting; while talkingtree opts to use the safe, perhaps reliable Helping Hand for general usage, Memoric instead opts to use Moonlight. According to my insider information, the rationale for running Moonlight here is in how Cresselia can actually recover quite reliably in typical bulky offense matchups, particularly in front of the likes of Landorus-T, Conkeldurr, AV Volcanion, and Amoonguss. While Moonlight won't afford Cresselia longevity to properly wall threats, the main idea was in how Moonlight lets Cresselia get a second wind to essentially make more outright favorable the trades against the meta threats it's supposed to match, as opposed to the trades just being "fine".

The two sets feature different items—while Memoric's Cresselia uses Safety Goggles to better match Amoonguss, talkingtree instead opts for Expert Belt to get more value out of their trades with Cresselia. Particularly important here is how Expert Belt is actually necessary for nabbing the OHKO on Bisharp; according to insider sources, despite running Hidden Power Fighting themself, Memoric simply couldn't be bothered to aim for the OHKO and just thought to themself, "I'll burn that bridge when I get to it." How complacent! One last interesting to point out here is the difference the two sets's spreads. talkingtree's spread is biased towards Special Attack and invests much more investment into Speed, opting to outrun positive-nature base 70s. Memoric's spread, on the other hand, is instead biased towards HP and outruns only up to neutral-natured base 70s. This reasoning for the difference in bias can be inferred from their choice of 4th move; talkingtree's Cresselia wants to step on the gas and push in most positions, while Memoric's Cresselia has the option to play a slower game with Moonlight if so desired. The decision to only run up to a specific amount of Speed is itself also a conscious one, and Memoric's decision to invest less in Speed naturally affords them more stats for HP and Special Attack in return.

Summary

In looking at Turbo Cresselia, it's best to look at it as a pivot that provides value through access to kill options for top metagame threats, essentially being a really twisted version of Conkeldurr. Still, Turbo Cresselia is a threat that I doubt you'd need to respect any time soon; as a Pokemon for general use, it's simply too flawed and too reliant on parlor tricks to get any consistency in a setting where you'd need to use a team it's in repeatedly, such as XY Cup. For the particular two times in DPL it was used in, however, it was good and perhaps the best it could have been; in a controlled bo1 format where players are specifically building for and trying to outmetagame each other, Turbo Cresselia fulfilled particular required niches to a tee and had enough spooky factor for opposing players to have the sliver of doubt in their plays that could very well end them. Of course, now that I'm writing about Turbo Cresselia, the jig is up, and people will now know what to expect, which significantly hurts its place in the XY metagame. A fundamental difference between XY and BW, two formats where offensive Cresselia has seen use, is that more threats in XY can just feel quite immortal and too difficult for Cresselia to deal with. On top of this, unlike Conkeldurr and Volcanion, both Pokemon that also fit the "tank and spank" role, Cresselia has a paltry attacking stat which can be too hard to not notice when it doesn't have super effective coverage onto foes. It had its moment in the spotlight, even if it was just tanking Rock Slides, but that was perhaps its final chapter.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
xy team dump for dpl ix. i went 4-0 in this format and tied for most wins in it, so these teams are pretty decent. click on the sprites if u want the pastes in case u actually cant find them lol (its the same for my bw dump)

Week 3 - vs Akaru Kokuyo (Cold Crew) // Under Pressure
:gengar-mega::conkeldurr::ferrothorn::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian:
Week 6 - vs Yellow Paint (Church) // Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!
:gengar-mega::volcanion::conkeldurr::thundurus::landorus-therian::ferrothorn:
"Sample Version"
:gengar-mega::conkeldurr::ferrothorn::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian:

I basically used the same team in Week 3 and 6, with only minor moveset differences and a slightly different Mega Gengar spread. When I used this Week 3, the idea was that I was starting fresh due to playing BW the weeks prior, so I was better off going to my comfort zone. I decided to go with Mega Gengar as it was generally the better Mega Evolution, relative to Mega Kangaskhan, for when I want to default into a matchup—while Mega Kangaskhan does have strong static damage, Fake Out, and a reliable defensive profile, I feel I have more agency when I use Mega Gengar as I can be more actively restricting and punishing with Shadow Tag. As for why I brought this again Week 6, the reason is simple, actually—in a do-or-die game with my team's season on the line, I... essentially ran out of ideas I felt were up to the task, so I instead went back to an old reliable with a few tweaks for the matchup.

On to the team's profile, then. Mega Gengar and Conkeldurr essentially form the nucleus of the team—the team's core idea is essentially to use Mega Gengar's high Speed and Shadow Tag to isolate winning matchups for Conkeldurr. Assault Vest Conkeldurr is one of the metagame's best tank 'n spank attackers, packing amazing super effective coverage, massive special bulk (which is what matters most in XY), and a non-negligible way of recovering HP in Drain Punch, and Mega Gengar enables Conkeldurr the best by forcing the likes of Mega Kangaskhan, Kyurem-B, and Thundurus to stay in on losing matchups while also preventing Landorus-T's Intimidate from coming into play. Ferrothorn and Volcanion round out the core duo's metagame matchups; Ferrothorn is here as an insanely strong answer to Fairy-type-centric teams, and rain teams, while Volcanion is generally strong into Amoonguss, which is very problematic for Conkeldurr. I really like running Shed Shell on Ferrothorn purely so I can play it more aggressively in Mega Gengar matchups, with other items not really being as much of a difference maker in other matchups. The team is then rounded out by the basic double genie combo, with the pair being a generally good way to answer most relevant metagame threats, with Volcanion particularly being the one last threat the team needed answered. A Jolly nature on Choice Scarf Landorus-T is important for outrunning Deoxys-A,. This team, essentially, is about dictating the pace of the game with Mega Gengar, using its trapping to isolate winning matchups for its team to build a hopefully insurmountable advantage in value.

As for what the differences between the DPL versions were:
  • Week 3 Version: Uses an MGar spread that outruns only up to Defiant Thundurus. 3 Attacks with Energy Ball is to give respect for the possible rain attempt by Akaru Kokuyo (sharper line into Mega Swampert) while also having additional coverage for Gastrodon. Volt Switch because I wanted to opt more into outplaying Akaru Kokuyo positionally. Earth Power is generally just the default third move on Safety Goggles Volcanion.
  • Week 6 Version: Uses a faster, less bulkier MGar spread that outruns up to Mega Salamence to give respect to a possible sighting. More generalist moveset on Mega Gengar by having Will-O-Wisp. Same reason for having Superpower on Thundurus instead, just covers more. Safety Goggles with Haze is to hard counter Taste the Rainbow.

On the "Sample Version": If you're planning to borrow the team for general use (e.g. XY Cup), this is the base build that I recommend you to have. This is the configuration that is best for consistent repeated use through long tournaments, as it has the generally safe options that give it the most balanced matchup spread against the metagame. The variants I brought in DPL have player-targeted set decisions that will not necessarily be justified for more run-of-the-mill tournament games, as those decisions often eschew other, perhaps still relevant metagame matchups. The key differences are:
  • For Mega Gengar, I recommend you run STABs + Wisp. This is generally the safest configuration you can have on Mega Gengar, with Will-O-Wisp being handy for a lot of matchups, particularly into Bisharp, not just for the attack reduction but also for the chip damage. The given spread lets it be bulky while still outrunning Mega Salamence.
  • For Volcanion, I recommend you actually run Assault Vest instead of the Safety Goggles variants that I used in DPL. Generally speaking, the team does actually have enough safety into Amoonguss even without Safety Goggles on Volcanion as it has Mega Gengar and Ferrothorn to give you some agency into it. The amount of bulk Assault Vest gives to Volcanion is just absurd and allows Volcanion to singlehandedly win games. You'll just have to play in a way that allows you to constantly pressure Amoonguss if not just consistently positioning to play around it and its potential dangerous partners—making up a team's lack of Safety Goggles through the rest of the team and with smarter play is definitely doable, and it's definitely something I'd do in a game that matters so I can reap the benefits of having an AV Volcanion on the team.
  • For Thundurus, I actually recommend running Thunderbolt / HP Ice / Thunder Wave / Toxic. Toxic on Thundurus has been a move I've been using for a while, but I never really got to bring it this DPL (I did recommend it to the Storms at some point, though!). Toxic gives you a strong out against threats that could potentially outlast you, such as Porygon2, and it's also very strong in the Mega Manectric matchup, as the constant chip they'll be taking will be valuable. Superpower could also work on this slot, but the team is already quite okay into Bisharp as is, while I don't recommend Volt Switch unless you've actively decided to approach a matchup in a certain way pre-game.

Week 4 - vs Mako (Sp_ndas) // Chromatica
:gardevoir-mega::blastoise::amoonguss::hydreigon::thundurus::landorus-therian:

Do NOT steal this team. If you want a copy of a Mega Gardevoir + Double Redirection team, asking your DOU(-adjacent) friend for the more popular Togekiss version will more than suffice. As for why I brought this team, though... a bout of insanity, I suppose? Against Mako, I established early on that I wanted to bring CM Mega Gardevoir + 2x Redirection because I thought, as a player supposedly making a return to XY after a long while, there would have been no chance that they would know their lines into a CM Mega Gardevoir (or they wouldn't be able to play them as well). CM MGarde + Amoong + Genies are all default and standard sets, but I felt I had to bring something crazy because there would also have been no chance that the Sp_ndas braintrust hasn't shown Mako my more popular MGarde team in action. Blastoise was chosen as the new, 2nd redirector because it resists Volcanion's STABs and could live a Psycho Boost. Hydreigon is there because I didn't want to run double Water-types, it beats Mega Gengar (supposedly), and it maintains a positive-to-neutral matchup into Landorus-T. Yes, it's Assault Vest with that moveset. With an Assault Vest, I basically got a really demented version of AV Volcanion, one that specifically has a really strong matchup in Mega Gengar and possible Psychic-types such as Mew (which I did run into!).

Week 5 - vs zee (Cratermakers) // hypochondriac
:diancie::gastrodon::gengar-mega::thundurus::landorus-therian::cresselia:

This is the team I'm 2nd-most proud of building this DPL. When I was looking for inspiration on what to bring into zee, I ran into one of their posts that I was reading for scouting purposes. Here, they talk about Diancie + Gastrodon, which got me like, "hey that's fire actually." I really liked the idea of bringing Diancie, not only because it's just a generally reliable Pokemon with great bulk, Diamond Storm, and Clear Body, but also because it's a Fairy-type that matches up well into the trending AV Conkeldurr. Diancie would also be good into a Defiant Thundurus, should my antagonist for the week opt into bringing one. I also liked how Gastrodon is positioned into the metagame; it's good into Mega Gengar, genies, and Volcanion thanks to its typing and bulk, and its Storm Drain in particular seemed really strong and legit when paired with Diancie. I gave this Gastrodon Rocky Helmet to be strong into Mega Kangaskhan, which is one of Diancie's biggest problems. The rest of the team is essentially standard, except for the Cresselia; I talk more about Cresselia as a one-off pick in this post; to summarize, I brough Cresselia because it had a lot of strong matchups into the metagame and Moonlight gives it a good amount of longevity against goodstuffs matchups. The team as-is I'd say is quite good, but if I were to steal this for XY Cup or something, I'd keep the core 5 and change Cresselia to something else for consistency; something like an Amoonguss, Talonflame, or Conkeldurr would be good, I'd say. Could also tweak the Mega Gengar moveset here, Energy Ball on Mega Gengar feels compulsory on a Diancie / Gastrodon team but with a different 6th Pokemon it'd be fine not to run.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
[THREAD UPDATES]

[SAMPLE TEAMS]

We have updated the sample teams post on the first page! Not only are there new teams available for everyone to try, we've also doubled the number of teams vetted and made available to everyone! With this spread of sample teams, we made sure that the core archetypes within the XY metagame are represented in order to help foster a more holistic experience of getting into the format.

Good luck to everyone in XY Cup!

VR noms

Rises

:conkeldurr:
UR -> 3

AV Conkeldurr has risen to prominence as one of the metagame's most effective physical attackers. Not a lot of teams can properly challenge its Fighting + Ice + Dark (other fillers are good too, see: Thunder Punch, Rock Slide(?)). It sported a solid 70% winrate in DPL (from 10 uses). Guts lets it be a decent Thunder Wave absorber and makes it take on Volcanion with much more consistency. Really an easy Pokemon to support on Gengar/Volc/Steel comps since you just load up on all the Fairy resists and otherwise it just gets to stay on the board and click buttons. Gets a little sad after too many Intimidates but what physical attacker doesn't.

:genesect: 4 -> 3

Genesect also had a super strong DPL, clocking in at 75% WR from 12 uses. Most of this is from CB Gene, which does a lot of excellent things: Powerful priority in Extreme Speed (excellent way to check the likes of Deoxys-A and Talonflame), acts as a powerful and momentum-grabbing pivot, and threatens Fairies with a strong Iron Head. It frequently gets +1 Attack boosts from Download due to the metagame's high SpDef investment which just aligns it even stronger into the current landscape. I used a variety of filler moves in DPL and other teams to give it a bit less predictability which I think also suits it.

:gastrodon: 4 -> 3

Resident Gastro lover clocking in. Gastro is able to challenge all of the tier's 6 best mons between its Earth Power + Ice Beam offensive coverage and Rocky Helmet + Recover + >400 HP ensuring Kangaskhan can't remove it with two Seismic Tosses. Shields Diancie from Volcanion's Steam Eruption (and Hydro Pumps from lower tier Waters). Decent rain insurance which I think people underestimate as well. Naturally just very sturdy as well which is an excellent trait to have for modern meta. 5 for 8 in DPL.

:diancie-mega: UR -> 4

I think this got nommed UR not too long ago but I think it should be brought back to the list. It's a weird case because generally, yes, I rate it lower than nonmega Diancie but I do think it's at least as good as Charizard (lol). Fast Rock coverage in this tier is just honestly insane and Diancie does the job with way more efficient than Terrakion thanks to its immunities to Thunder Wave and Spore, as well as shielding teammates from Stealth Rock (SingleThunder paired it with Talonflame and Thundurus for week 7 of DPL which I think are great benefactors of Magic Bounce presence).

:whimsicott: UR -> 4

Really cool guy that you can do some great things with. Encore Disable locking with Mega Gengar is solid for incapacitating slower prey, and we all know how insane Beat Up is. Tailwind isn't super broken because of oldgen Speed mechanics but can still be used to give access to some pins you wouldn't have otherwise. Yes it went hella negative in DPL but I think its role on these two setups is enough to rank it.

Drops

:kyurem-black: 2 -> 3

Adamant 252 Attack Ice Beam/Earth Power/Substitute/Protect Kyurem-B aside, I've been a little displeased with Kyurem-B really ever since ORASPL. I find that Choice Band and Scarf sets frequently fall flat if they miss their turn 1 surprise kill, and mono special sets don't have a ton of sweeping or staying power due to the metagame's high power level yet decent special bulk. Fine Pokemon, but I do not think it influences the tier in the same way that the other 6 tier 1/tier 2's do and its VR placing should reflect this. Negative in DPL.

:tyranitar: 3 -> 4

I like Tyranitar a lot with Salamence but I'm not sure it fits on a lot of other comps in the current metagame. It's a really reliable rocker but doesn't appreciate the ubiquity of Landorus-T and the rise of Genesect/Conkeldurr. It's best damage output is Stone Edge which gives me some pretty sketch vibes.

:heatran: :rotom-wash: 4 -> UR

bottom of the barrel picks

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Noms

:ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn: 4 -> 3

Currently stands as the premier answer to Fairy-centric strategies as the format's best defensive Steel-type. As a Grass-type, it can directly answer CM Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir even while they are behind an Amoonguss without the need of Safety Goggles. It also has a really threatening presence that demands planning around, with its defensive profile being very difficult to crack without a Fire move and Leech Seed being a strong way to slowly win an extended endgame. Iron Barbs is also occasionally useful for punishing Mega Kangaskhan, as it gives a significant cost to the metagame's foremost wallbreaker trying to take Ferrothorn down. Very strong with Mega Gengar, and is a great contender for an Amoonguss alternative for Mega Gengar comps that instead want to play a slower, more calculating playstyle; of the 6 uses (4 wins) it's seen in XY DPL (which actually makes it the 15th used mon of the format), all of them were with Mega Gengar.

Genuinely can't think of any other nom to make :skull: so i guess ill leave it at that

On Rotom-W to UR: I actually think Rotom-W has a decent place in the format still. It's a good defensive pick with paralysis immunity; resistances to Water, Fire, and Flying; immunity to Ground; and access to Trick and a pivot move. It's a really niche way of having a pivot, a Volcanion answer, and a way to cripple slow stuff like P2, Sylveon, and Amoong; that whole package has enough value to be a Tier 4.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
[THREAD UPDATES]

[VIABILITY RANKINGS]

The XY DOU Viability Rankings is being updated! This vote considers events in DPL in mind. This vote was done with myself, qsns, Tenzai, SMB, Actuarily, Yuichi, and zee.

Rises
:conkeldurr: Conkeldurr: UR -> 3
:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn: 4 -> 3
:gastrodon: Gastrodon: 4 -> 3
:genesect: Genesect: 4 -> 3
:diancie-mega: Mega Diancie: UR -> 4
:whimsicott: Whimsicott: UR -> 4

Falls
:Rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash: 4 -> UR
To see the new updated VR with these changes in effect, please see the second post on this thread!

Thoughts? Reactions? Feel free to post in this thread if you have anything to share with regards to the VR and the XY metagame as a whole. We hope that this update helps you as a reference for getting into XY!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Only just now getting around to it, but better late than never..... right? DPL Retrospective/Team Dump time!

I signed up for DPL IX on a whim, thinking I would mostly be chatting with a few friends and watching as a sub when I found the time. Instead, what I got was my strongest team tour run in a long time, starting out 3-0 before dropping one real game and one meme. Getting into modern XY was an absolute blast and I'm very grateful for the opportunity, so I wanted to share what I learned and some of the teams that got me through.

Week 3 vs zee (W) -- Replay
:diancie-mega: :bisharp: :thundurus: :volcanion: :amoonguss: :kyurem-black:
When I found out I was getting subbed in to XY, I was already chatting with qsns and they graciously gave me a rundown on what to expect and how much the meta had changed since I last played the tier. I realized that the team I had used in my very first tournament back in summer 2015 seasonals had looped back around to being good again, and decided I would set to work on adapting it a bit to get back into mons. HP Fire Mega Diancie matched up quite well into Volcanion, Muskedeers, Thundurus, and the recent trend of CB Genesect and allowed me to run Focus Sash on Bisharp instead of Life Orb to better answer Deoxys-A and other major threats that could otherwise OHKO it. Then I made the Sub Heatran on the old team into an AV Volcanion and put Superpower onto Prankster Thundurus because that's how you make a 2015 team modern. Finally, I set to work on the Kyurem-B set. I started with AV, Fusion Bolt, and quite a lot of Attack investment (108+) to make it a somewhat decent Volcanion answer. I didn't really know what to do with the last moveslot, but I ended up going with Outrage for strong neutral damage on a variety of threats that didn't have perfect answers yet like Tyranitar, M-Kangaskhan, and Porygon2.

The game went better than I could've hoped for, with Diancie's Diamond Storm getting a mid-high roll crit on the Volcanion to one-shot it and an important roll on zee's boosted Kang. I felt comfortable with the matchup even if Diancie went down on those turns, but it made an already strong matchup unloseable. Unfortunately I never got to click Outrage with Kyurem-B, but if you want to check out a highlight where that set really shines, here's a game from XY Cup: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6doublesou-1857655854

Week 4 vs Grandmas Cookin (W) -- Replay
:kangaskhan-mega: :kyurem-black: :landorus-therian: :thundurus: :volcanion: :deoxys-attack:
I started this week off with some new ideas and settled on Seismic Toss Kang / Goggles Kyurem-B / SR Ttar, since the latter two handled Amoonguss, Lando-T, Mega Gengar, and contributed to Kang's style of wearing down the opponent. I tried a few different ways to finish that core and settled on Thund / Volcanion / Deo-A through tests, after which I realized I could really use a better Kang answer, anything that didn't insta-lose to Terrakion, Intimidate support, and some sort of pivot. qsns very helpfully pointed out that the most obvious answer to a considerable number of issues in an XY team is AV Lando-T, and I made the switch from TTar.

This game also went extremely well. I started off with a Kang mirror where I just played as if I would win both speed ties and then did, making safe enough plays that the game could carry on if I proved to be wrong. The real key was turns 3 + 4, where I pivoted Lando in on a potential Superpower from Deo-A (it Protected instead) to pick it off even with Amoonguss support. This baited in Gma's Lando-T, which I called by switching to Defiant Thundurus on the Volcanion slot to grab a free boost. Meanwhile, Lando took out the Deo-A thanks to my AV ensuring it would tank the LO Psycho Boost. This ensured Thund could get off huge damage on Diancie as it set TR while I pivoted to Kang for Fake Out pressure to enable Thund even further. Then I made a bit of a flex play by calling the Amoonguss pivot and using Sky Drop to evade Diancie's next attack + take out one of Kang's biggest issues left, which sealed the match.

Week 5 vs SingleThunder (W) -- Replay
:landorus-therian: :cresselia: :gengar-mega: :kyurem-black: :genesect: :terrakion:
At this point I was feeling pretty confident with the pivot to XY, and went to work making something else new. I wanted to try something somewhat unexpected because to this point qsns had been there with me through everything, and this week was against their team. We had talked about how threatening an offensively invested Lando-T could be, so my attempt to be surprising was an unorthodox pick that Memoric wrote about above in Timid EBelt 3Atk + HH Cresselia. I also knew SingleThunder loved Defiant mons, so something that could take on Bisharp + Thundurus seemed huge for a partner with Intimidate. On paper, it snipes Bisharp with HP Fighting (outrunning and KOing Adamant sets after any LO or SR damage) and takes on Thund/Lando with Ice Beam, also boosting EQs for Lando to clean while avoiding damage thanks to Levitate. In practice... we'll talk about that later. Sub Mega Gengar helped pin things down for a late-game cleaner like Lando or CB Genesect, Terrakion shored up the Kang + Thund + kind of sort of Volc matchup and provided SR chip, and AV Kyurem-B is my safety blanket. Genesect has Blaze Kick because I was paranoid of opposing Genesect or Scizor (Mega or non-Mega), but Explosion is probably quite strong too.

In the game, Sub Mega Gengar proved to be incredibly valuable. It kept Mega Metagross on the field and neutralized with Intimidate drops, and I had worked into a pretty strong position by Turn 7, where I thought I had a guaranteed KO on Pranktser Thund with ESpeed Gene... until it used Protect. This wasn't something I had considered but definitely should have, and it made the endgame quite a bit tougher after a full para turn 8 prevented Gengar from taking out the problematic genie, ensuring it got off a TWave into my Cresselia. Of course, if I had left in Terrakion, it would've simply burned the Lum Berry since ST opted not to use EQ with Lando-T, but I couldn't risk that. Landorus-T + SD Terrakion is a very scary final 2 to face when they're both spamming Rock Slide and you have two paralyzed team members, but the 5-2 advantage I had built up earlier proved to be enough to stave off a dangerous endgame.

Week 6 vs mako (L) -- Replay
:salamence-mega: :nidoking: :volcanion: :conkeldurr: :mew: :thundurus:
Nidoking was a tech I had been sitting on for a few weeks, tweaked with the help of my old buddy qsns and teammate miltankmilk. Between Earth Power for Volcanion, Ice Beam for genies, and a crucial lack of a rock weakness to take on Diancie/Terrakion that all my opponents were exploiting in my past tendencies, it had some great matchups and just enough value over Kyurem-B for me to try it out. We were waffling on the last move for a while, but Sucker Punch to surprise a Deoxys-A or MGengar was a neat idea that felt strong. I paired it with a modern XY-ified Mega Salamence (252 HP / 152 SpD is not a spread that would ever have been taken seriously back in the day), slapped on a trusty Volcanion, and then again got a bit stuck. I ended up with Conkeldurr for MKang/Bisharp/Kyurem-B, Mew for Fake Out and SR support, and Thundurus as an emergency button. All in all, this maybe wasn't the *perfect* team for Nidoking, but it certainly didn't feel like the weak point or underwhelming in any sense.

I had a few issues in game. I was desperate for Stealth Rock to chip Volcanion into range for Nidoking, and in general was probably focusing more on helping my cool tech shine than actually winning the game. I finally got Nido into a good position in turn 4, later taking advantage of the same Protect Pranktser Thund choice to save it from Gene ESpeed. Turn 7, I so badly wanted to call the Landorus-T switch or in general ignore the Volcanion, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I've gone back and forth on whether targetting Gengar was a mistake turn 8, but definitely should've assumed Landorus-T wouldn't stay in Turn 9 to take a Steam Eruption and taken Thundurus out. Still, I had a chance to win because of other strong plays throughout that came down to Mew hitting Fake Out and Volcanion hitting Steam Eruption through both being paralyzed... and Steam Eruption missed. Between Rocky Helmet chip and Steam Eruption, that probably takes out Landorus-T (or at least leaves it low), and Mew + Mega Salamence have a shot at cleaning. Unfortunately, that's not the way things fell, and mako played well before that one turn failing to scout Fake Out so deserved the win.

Week 7 both my team and Nido's were out, so we both agreed to bring memes. I tried to use SmashPass and uh... forgot to click Fake Out... so we don't need to worry about that week.

Ultimately that brought my overall record to 3-2, but I still feel great about my showing this tour. Shoutouts to my team for cheering me on, qsns for educating me / testing / building / encouraging me to sign up, and modern XY for being incredibly fun. If you haven't given this tier a shot, I would highly recommend it.

IMG_20230729_143435.jpg

Hello!! I have come to share one of my favorite teams in recent times, one that went undefeated all the way up until XY Cup finals vs some good friends and good opponents :D but first a little lore . . .

My smogong origins actually trace back to XY Doubles, back in the days where finally reigned holy terror in the doubles room I one day joined and played very casually and ended up signing up for an alphabet tour with mishimono (where we got the letter U, used pre-cocaine bear and got squashed) and here we are now. Fittingly the reason I signed up to play cup in the first place was bc I was helping warm up the mish for his DPL games and found myself wanting to play more old gens doubles!! Unfortunately I couldn't make up my mind whether or not I really wanted to play classic until BW cup signups were already closed :psycry: so I knew I had to cook hard in XY to make up for it......

deoxys-speed.png
lum-berry.png
landorus.png
rocky-helmet.png
volcanion.png
i_3ds_safety-goggles.png
kangaskhan-mega.png
i_3ds_kangaskhanite.png
amoonguss.png
rocky-helmet.png
genesect.png
choice-scarf.png

Teambuilding & Set Process (mucho texto)
:Deoxys-Speed: :Kangaskhan-Mega:

I hadn't built in XY in so long, I knew I was gonna gravitate towards using M-Diancie (nostalgia) but knew I should have a good Kanga squad cuz what's XY w/out Kanga.
I was aware :gengar-mega: had risen to more prominence in recent times, that and :landorus-therian: struck me as the two mons I should be covering for Kang first. Then it hit me, DEO-SPEED. And not just for the sake of being a hipster choosing it over :deoxys-attack: but for its ability to outspeed (jolly) :landorus-therian: as well which is what I was used to playing in XY, and it's actually a great :deoxys-attack: check given that Ice Beam flat out KO's (252 SpA Deoxys-Speed Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Deoxys-Attack: 245-289 (101.6 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO) which was/is so cool to me given how that's another now more recently relevant mon for it to prey on. Stealth Rock was a given as rocks are just so nice to have up vs all the rock weaks in the format and :Deoxys-Speed: gets them up so consistently. Psycho Boost for STAB that still chunks most neutral targets pretty decently even tho it's not quite as roided as its brother, and for :conkeldurr: and :amoonguss: which Kanga ofc appreciates. Ice Beam nails :Landorus-Therian: especially, while also being good vs :thundurus: and :salamence-mega: among other things. I debated the last move, and while I think there's a couple good options I went with Protect ultimately as getting up rocks as consistently as possible as FAST as possible is Deoxys-Speed's strength and helps the team out so much. The item was the trickiest part to me, it was between Lum and Rocky Helmet and I ultimately went with Lum to not be scared of :thundurus: as much as Deoxys-Speed without the speed is bad, but I legit didn't get twaved once this tour :changry: bad timing I suppose... It's nice vs :amoonguss: at least too, both items are definitely viable. As for the EV spread, at first I only crept Scarf :landorus-therian: (and its creepers by 1) since from what I've heard Banded :genesect: is all the rage now and the only one I played not Scarf, but when I saw :swampert-mega: rain here and there I decided I should hit that mark. I then went full SpAtk to not hit like a noodle, 4 Def to give :Genesect: the SpAtk boost, and the rest in HP as its bulk is deceptively decent.

:Amoonguss: :volcanion: :Landorus:

Pairing Amoong with Kanga felt natural to me firstly given past experience even tho I'm not ye ole PuP, then Volcanion got slapped on to complete the FWG goodness while also pairing amazingly with Amoong. Next I felt a need for something with some heft to it, and after dabbling in SS DOU here and there I'm a sucker for the OG Landorus and feel it's underrated here which is extra fun. Amoong nicely facilitates him and the other goons with redirection while they're able to throw out hits, and gives me extra insurance against Trick Room with After Me, my favorite tech from back in the day. Rocky Helm Amoong is explanatory, Safety Goggles on Volcanion as I never leave home without protection. I bumped protect as I just couldn't in good conscience give up Earth Power for opposing :Volcanion: and :Gastrodon: scared me shitless so I used HP Grass. Spreadwise for those two idek I'm out of the loop I'm clueless as to what I'm supposed to use nowadays LMAO I was using 252 128 128+ Sassy amoong cuz satsifying numbers, and when I asked Mishimono and Raf for spreads they didn't know what theirs did either and the latter also used mine so KEK we ball. Volcanion is just max max with creep for opposing :Volcanion:.

As for Landorus . . . At this point while I did have an Amoong, I still felt like having another source of chip for opposing :kangaskhan-mega: would be nice I didn't want to totally rely on Amoong, and Landorus isn't exactly hurting for power with Sheer Force, so I slapped on Rockey Helmet for the hell of it during testing and it went SO hard omg and seeing the reactions it got was so fucking funny, in particular it put me in a phenomenal spot in the game vs mishi here https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6doublesou-1882371727
At the end of the day, replacing it for LO and using Rocky Helmet Deo is also very viable, but I used Helmet all tour and it has been so clutch at times don't SLEEP, every bit of :kangaskhan-mega: chip goes a longgg way
EP/HP Ice/Protect was a given, I went with Psychic last as it smacks :conkeldurr: harder but most importantly, being walled by non mega'd :Gengar: is very cringe. Which SMB tried to do here https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6doublesou-1859099825 (this was g2 different team but same set, the replay featuring this team is in the replay section l) but thanks to Psychic I knocked out straight away putting me in a commanding position from turn 1.

:Genesect:

As for my 6th slot, I had no fucking clue who to use. This slot is easily the most replaceable, tho don't get me wrong Gene hasn't been bad at all. The speed fiend in me wanted a Scarfer despite having Deo, and I thought a Steel in general would be nice to have somewhere for mons like :kyurem-black: and :Gardevoir-Mega:. Problem is most Steels just felt meh to me with :volcanion: everywhere, ik Ferro and Aegi have their place but neither felt right here and neither are exactly fast, Kartana ain't here so really I was left with Genesect. It performed decently in tests, but I found that late game scenarios vs :volcanion: could get very dicey very quickly having two fire weaks, with Gene not being able to touch it and Amoong's Spore potentially a nonfactor vs Substitute, Goggles, being cooked by Overheat or just being plain in range of Heat Wave at that point. So I dropped Flamethrower for Thunderbolt and went max SpAtk, as any non AV :volcanion: drops to a +1 Tbolt after rocks (which are always up with this team).

Replays

SMB:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6doublesou-1859093169

Robjr:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6doublesou-1870550711

Yoda2798:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6doublesou-1876560179

Mishimono:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6doublesou-1882371727

General Gameplan Summarized & Closing Thoughts

If you watched the replays, you'll see I lead off with Deoxys & Kangaskhan every game, most of the time clicking Fake Out and Stealth Rock and that's what you do 99.9% of the time!!! It's obnoxiously consistent and hard to thwart, saying from firsthand experience playing it and that being expressed by yoda and mish too. It both stuffs out the opponent and immediately makes the omnipresent :Volcanion: :Thundurus: :Kyurem-Black: come in with a quarter taken outta their health, unless they choose to lead or switch into them turn 1 to go toe to toe with the pair, which is a a win-win as we can just attack and potentially still even get our rocks up to keep them from coming back, and suddenly depending on what gets weakened or KO'd, our Amoonguss/Genesect/Landorus/Volcanion in the back get a lot scarier to deal with later on. From there, you usually just start firing off meaty hits where you facilitated with or without Rage Powder support, games usually ending with either Lando-I or Genesect cleaning up once their outs to them are weakened or gone. It really feels pleasantly braindead imo which is good for me and good fun :^)

I enjoyed getting to play XY a ton, and this team was an absolute blast creatively and in practice, I couldn't let it rot in my teambuilder just for me to maybe play again next year

I hope you enjoy! :sphearical:

NYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
IMG_20230729_220620.jpg

https://pokepast.es/e7410357807dfceb
(keep my nicks if you wanna keep your knees :mad:)

Attachments

Last edited:
:deoxys-speed: UR -> 4

I think zaaya's Deo-S team is honestly really strong in the current meta, and it also saw some usage in classic playoffs as well. Just having that utility combined with decent defenses allows you to enable mons like Kangaskhan and Genesect really well. Refer to the above post for replays and explanation, I'm basically just here to formalize the nom.

:cresselia: 4 -> 3

Been really liking Helmet Cress on Kangaskhan builds as a way to punish opposing Kangaskhan - it's an Earthquake immune Pokemon with >400 HP and recovery, which is such an amazing set of qualities. Psychic/Ice is also decent offensive coverage into the tier, hitting Genies, Gengar, Amoonguss, and Conkeldurr for some pretty solid damage if you're willing to put in the investment.

free team if you wanna try out some cress stuff

VR Noms

Rises:
Keldeo -> T3
I love Keldeo and think it fits the T3 description better than the T4 one. Keldeo hits very well and can force progress where necessary in all points of a game, when supported as T3 describes. Quick Guard assists with Bish, Thundy, Bird, and Kang, while threatening KO dmg to Bish and Kang if not respected.
Deo -> T2 / Top of T3
A nuke physically and specially, with e-speed working well around other prio, Deo does not match into T1 mons well, but performs well especially with the right support and positioning.

Falls:
Tyranitar -> T4
Ttar sets up sand for Exca and dies or gets some chip off / sets up rocks. It's slow and there is a ton of fighting coverage + Conk prominence. A T4 mon.
Amoonguss -> T3
I think Amoong is played around and beaten by big hitters, taunters+goggs, and played around in the builder and game to the point where it can be ignored in the builder. I just don't think it performs as it did before.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Last week, an interesting discussion happened in DOUcord, talking about why Tiers 1 and 2 of the VR are the way they are. Tier 1 features only the genies and Volcanion, while Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan reside at a lower rank. To the outsider, this may seem weird—why are two of the format's best attackers and buildarounds not ranked to be the very pinnacle of the metagame? However, I'll talk about here why this particular ranking actually is quite sensible and reflects how the metagame works.

Note that these are all generally my takes on the metagame, you can disagree.

--

On the Two-Fold Utility Landorus-T / Thundurus / Volcanion (LTV)

First point that needs to be established: Landorus-T, Thundurus, and Volcanion are all very powerful Pokemon in a vacuum, and for XY DOU's standards, their individual kits alone would merit them DOU-level usage without considering specific metagame match-ups. To give a quick rundown:
  • :landorus-therian: Landorus-T is a strong attacker with a relatively balanced defensive profile. Packing 145 base Attack and STAB Earthquake, it's able to output high damage very efficiently. Meanwhile, its Ground / Flying defensive typing gives it two handy immunities to Electric and Ground, as well as a Fighting resistance. Most importantly, it has Intimidate access, an obviously powerful ability that lets it carry a team's matchup against opposing physical attackers. Landorus-T in general excels at being a pivot, using its Earthquakes to pressure and slowly break down the opposing team, while leveraging its bulk, typing, and Intimidate to mitigate the damage of physical foes.
  • :thundurus: On top of an interesting stat spread that lends it great versatility, Thundurus also notably has Prankster Thunder Wave. Prankster Thunder Wave is fundamentally strong as it effectively prevents almost any faster attack from being a real threat. It also even has a base 125 Special Attack stat, which lets its Thunderbolt deal good damage while uninvested. It being a utility Pokemon with Prankster allows it to run fully defensive spreads while still being effective, giving it surprising tenacity despite its frail 79 / 70 / 80 spread. It also just has great offensive base stats, with a stellar 111 base Speed, to run effectively run offensive sets and subvert expectations. (It also has a Defiant set, but in the context of talking about Thundurus being a Tier 1 Pokemon, this doesn't matter.)
  • :volcanion: When it comes to looking at bulky special attackers, more than their offensive abilities it's their defensive utility which make or break their viability. Its Water / Fire typing—fortunately for Volcanion, its profile is stellar on both ends. Fire / Water defensive typing gives it valuable resistances to Fire, Ice, Steel, and Fairy, while its ability Water Absorb even gives it an additional immunity to Water-type attacks. Offensively, a Fire / Water STAB combination is also generally quite strong due to great neutral and super effective coverage (though walled by Dragon); Heat Wave makes Volcanion be great at breaking down the opposing team, while Steam Eruption is obviously such a busted move because it's basically Hydro Pump with a significant burn chance in a Generation where chip damage from burn actually matters. All of this without even mention its base stats as well; its 80 / 120 physical bulk lets it stomach one EQ and most users are punished by Steam Eruption, and base 130 Special Attack is just obviously fantastic for an attacking role.
Of course, the very concept of metagaming prevents us from looking at individual Pokemon in a vacuum—as certain Pokemon / teams / team archetypes are established to be strong, the viability of certain Pokemon then fluctuate in accordance to their match-ups. This is what make Landorus-T, Thundurus, and Volcanion the Tier 1 Pokemon that they are—not only are LTV already fundamentally powerful, metagame-shaping Pokemon individually, they also interact in a way that makes them very convenient answers to themselves. I'll be giving a quick rundown on this as well; in Mirror Dynamics below, I'll be talking about how each individual Pokemon interact with each other in the LTV mirror.

PokemonPokemonGeneral Mirror Dynamics
:landorus-therian: Landorus-T:landorus-therian: Landorus-TOne of the best answers to physical Ground-types is, unsurprsingly, a Flying-type with Intimidate, and that's what Landorus-T is. Often, the mirror matchup becomes a staring contest for both parties, especially in the lead position where pleasantries are exchanged with Intimidating looks. Outside of the lead, the match-up becomes about being in position to Intimidate the opposing Landorus-T. Rocky Helmet sets can typically get ahead in the mirror momentarily as these sets can set Stealth Rocks in the mirror and can punish a U-turn, but they also tend to be less consistent versus the broader metagame so it often goes minus for its team later on.
:landorus-therian: Landorus-T:thundurus: ThundurusAs a Ground-type, Landorus-T is a Thunder Wave-immunity. Assault Vest sets in particular are often super comfortable, especially in the early-game, as they can typically take an HP Ice and deal much more back with Stone Edge. Later into the game, though, Thundurus comes up better as Landorus-T is often then in range of HP Ice lethal, after supposedly doing its duties as a pivot. It's generally neutral either way, with both Pokemon essentially neutralizing each other. This is not counting the Defiant set, of course, but that's not the set that makes Thundurus Tier 1.
:landorus-therian: Landorus-T:volcanion: VolcanionLandorus-T is a Ground-type, and Ground is super effective against Fire. However, Volcanion is VERY physically bulky even while uninvested, and Landorus-T really would NOT want to take a Steam Eruption. It's an even trade when both are healthy if Landorus-T is AV, and better for Landorus-T after chip on both sides, purely because it's faster. Volcanion also generally comes off great if a teammate Landorus-T comes onto the field for Intimidate, as opposing -1 defensive Landorus-T should only deal around 42% with EQ to Volcanion, more or less.

Volcanion having this dynamic is particularly one reason why Heatran fell off; Heatran needs Shuca Berry to be any comfortable doing this (i.e. won't have an actual difference-making item like AV / Safety Goggles), and it also lacks any real punish after the fact as it only has a meager Heat Wave to hit back with.
:thundurus: Thundurus:thundurus: ThundurusAs an Electric-type, Thundurus is a Thunder Wave immunity, and as Thundurus is also often just a bulky specially defensive set, they often come into each other. It's literally a staring contest. A Thundurus running Toxic does come off the best in the mirror, but that's dark technology (it's real, but the average person someone can ask an XY team from will likely not have any teams with Toxic Thundurus)
:thundurus: Thundurus:volcanion: VolcanionVolcanion versus Thundurus is actually the only blatantly losing matchup within the LTV mirror dynamic—however, if we're to compare the match-up to Thundurus with the Pokemon Volcanion usurped in Heatran, it's actually relatively fine overall? An AV Volcanion takes around 46% from a Modest 0 SpA Thundurus, while Heatran (not AV) takes around 41%. "bUt mEmoRic, oNe hAs AV aNd tHe oThEr dOeSn'T!!1", to which I respond, there is no world where Heatran can run an AV in XY with its set of weaknesses (particularly to Fighting and Water). Plus, this is a comparison between the two at their most practical.

Volcanion is also just harder for Thundurus to switch into / deal with on the field, purely because Steam Eruption is that strong of a move. And, if taking the engagement against Thundurus with Volcanion is not the preferred route, it's also really easy to just switch out into Landorus-T lol; Hidden Power Ice for the switch only gets clicked by psychopaths in neutral positions, mostly because there is a very real threat of Volcanion just staying in anyway to Steam.
:volcanion: Volcanion:volcanion: VolcanionWith a 4x resistance to Fire and Water Absorb, Volcanion is the best thing to switch into itself. The AV Volcanion mirror is often a lot about trying to get better value out of your own compared to the other guy's; thus, knowing who you should have next to your Volcanion is important. You'll feel at best in positions where you can click Steam Eruption; clicking EP is something that you want to avoid because it's generally low value, unless specifically targeting Volcanion matters for a desired wincon, of course. In AV vs Non-AV matchups, the non-AV set loses, of course... unless it's a Sub set with Lefties, in which case the match-up gets sussy for the AV player for not having Protect and they probably deserve to lose at that point. Running SubLefties Volcanion in this metagame is kinda impossible though, so it's whatevs.

As can be seen above, LTV by themselves can comprise a team's match-up into opposing LTV quite well. We can conclude, then, that players often opt into using LTV to get the best of both worlds, because they simultaneously get to reap the benefits of having the best Pokemon in the format while also having answers to the best Pokemon in the format on the opposing team.

--

Viability Rankings Tiers: The Numbers and Dynamics

Perhaps if we look at the other Oldgen VRs, we'll genuinely struggle to find a set of top Tiered Pokemon that are a cut above the rest because of this two-fold usefulness. The only one that comes close is ADV's Latias / Metagross / Gengar, but I digress; in the ADV metagame, all of these are strong and are at the same time answers to each other, with the dynamics of having HP Fire on Latias forcing players to make the decision to opt into certain lines as early as the teambuilder. Still, Gengar's place in this trio is disputable, as while it does check Metagross a bit with Fire Punch, it also just has a somewhat unfavored match-up into Latias, and overall it comes off as more of a joker card in the ADV metagame thanks to its immunities and coverage rather than an undeniably powerful Pokemon in its own right.

Going back to XY though, Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar are also fundamentally strong Pokemon in a vacuum. The way they are designed, they basically dictate how the game is approached by a player; a Mega Gengar team tends to play in a slower, more trappy style as they aim to leverage Shadow Tag to force bad trades for the opponent, while a Mega Kangaskhan team tends to use their Mega Kangaskhan as the tip of the proverbial spear, using it either to break with its powerful Parental Bond Seismic Toss while its massive bulk for an attacker with that kind of power makes most trades unfair. However, what they lack is the utility in being a check to a massive swathe of Pokemon while being still fundamentally powerful individual threats in the way that Landorus-T, Thundurus, and Volcanion are; they're strong, sure, but they're not typically usable in the same reactive way that LTV can be.

xD?

Above are the cumulative usage stats from the recent DPL IX, which features arguably the most tryhard approach to XY DOU teambuilding among any other tour. Yes, that is indeed a 19% gap between Thundurus and Amoonguss—there is a very noticeable divide here, with the only the >50% usage Pokemon being the only ones in current Tier 1. Of course, one of the biggest differences between regular Pokemon and Mega Evolutions are that you can use regular Pokemon (e.g. LTV) on any team, while Megas basically are mutually exclusive with each other for a teamslot, so we can't immediately conclude that Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan are not Tier 1 through these hard numbers. Indeed, Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan were even Tier 1 not too long ago—but there are very real reasons for why they're Tier 2 now, and it can be seen very much in how XY is played at the moment:
  • As mentioned, Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar lack the utility of being convenient checks to fundamentally strong Pokemon in the meta, or do not do it to the degree that LTV does.
  • People have genuinely gotten better at dealing with Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan. I'm being serious when I say this, because Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar are genuinely broken Pokemon, and dealing with them tends to be really hard. However, the metagame tends to be quite prepared for them now, and everyone typically also knows their lines into them. We're at a point where the ideal ways to deal with the two Megas are quite established, and while they are undeniably powerful, the fact that they don't have the same utility as LTV while being so targeted makes them T2 at most, for now.
    • We all already know about Rocky Helmet Amoonguss for Mega Kangaskhan, but a lot of recent developments in the metagame happened with these Megas in mind. AV Conkeldurr is a Mega Kangaskhan counter that MGar itself can't do a dent to; Landorus-T and Volcanion running AV is particularly motivated by the improved Mega Gengar match-up; and MGar + Ferrothorn teams being more real is motivated MGar teams having a suspicious match-up into Crunch Mega Kangaskhan, and if the Ferro is SpDef with Shed Shell (which it can afford) it also gets around be favorable into enemy Mega Gengar. Even a much more recent development, Deoxys-S, is good primarily because of its interesting dynamics with the two; Rocky Helmet means Mega Kangaskhan will feel really bad hitting it, and it's faster than Mega Gengar and can generally OHKO it with Psycho Boost.
    • Noticeably, there is actually one more Pokemon, a non-Mega, that's targeted in the same way: Amoonguss, which people run Safety Goggles for. Spore really is just that strong, innit? This is more of a fun observation than anything, but it does give more context to its position as the 4th most used Pokemon in XY DOU,
    • Why isn't SM, a Gen with Mega Evoltions, as Mega Evolution-centric? Two reasons: stronger items, and stronger Pokemon. The existence of Z-moves and 50% berries mean there's more power spread out throughout a team, and SM also generally features much more broken Pokemon (Tapus, Inciniroar, Kartana, Kommo-o). Mega Evolutions don't define teambuilding as much when the rest of the team is genuinely up to par with it, rather than being a smudge below in power.
--

LTV and the XY DOU Metagame: A Survey

As we've established, LTV is a cut above the rest, and essentially everywhere. We can essentially think of using LTV to compliment teambuilding as a default approach to the metagame; you're not doing anything exciting, but you're approaching games in a way that generally covers your bases because of the core's synergies with each other and their dynamics with most opposing teams.

However, as much as LTV is everywhere, of course not every team will use it as a core; some only bring two, some even just one. There are two good reasons as to why LTV basically isn't everywhere:
  • As strong as the core is, it's still not a monolith. A lot of what makes LTV good is how it goes neutral in the mirror; players can actively decide that going neutral isn't enough, and devise ways to break down the typical meta core. This is fundamental to metagame development, the idea that players will actively try to beat whatever it is that's established to be good. They will try to use specific sets and Pokemon that targets them, and often this comes at the cost of teamslots that would otherwise belong to LTV.
  • Some team compositions simply don't work with the entirety of LTV lol.
Indeed, even as I've hyped up LTV to be as strong as they are now, it can't actually fit onto every teamstyle. Not every team in XY DOU is MGar / MKang + LTV + two other goons; there are actually other variations and other viable archetypes out there that can go toe-to-toe with the upper tiers when built properly. In addition, going back to the first point above, not every MGar / MKang player wants to roll up with LTV every game. Below, I'll giving a short overview of the various archetypes in the metagame, showing various examples of teams choosing to (not) opt into using LTV and trying explain the possible rationale for doing so.

(All teams are public in some form, if not in pastes then through replays. If you want 'em, go find em.)

Mega Kangaskhan variants
:kangaskhan-mega::sylveon::amoonguss::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian: - Sample by zee
:kangaskhan-mega::keldeo::bisharp::ferrothorn::deoxys-attack::talonflame: - Sample by tenzai
:kangaskhan-mega::deoxys-attack::kyurem-black::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian: - W4 talkingtree vs Grandmascookin, DPL IX

Teams 1 and 2 are actually the two Mega Kangaskhan sample teams, and one notably has the entirety of LTV and the other without. Team 1 is basically the most default approach you can take when playing XY; this is a comp that has lasted the test of time because of how fundamentally solid the team is. The team essentially leverage the ability of LTV to neutralize most match-ups, while Mega Kangaskhan and Amoonguss are there to make space for a CM Sylveon win. Team 3 shows a different, relative less standard flavor of LTV MKang, instead taking a more aggressive approach with Kyurem-B being a good XY DOU Pokemon purely because of how it can eviscerate opposing LTVs. Due to a lack of a dedicated wincon with no CM Sylveon in tow, LTV here instead can be played more aggressively, especially considering Deoxys-A offers immense pressure and Kyurem-B itself is a more threatening pivot than Amoonguss.

Team 2, meanwhile, takes a much more aggressive approach to XY DOU; eschewing the defensive play LTV offers, it instead opts to give opposing teams no space to breath. Even then, opposing LTV is still answered if you look at the team's individual match-ups; Keldeo capably marks Volcanion and Landorus-T, while Deoxys-A and Ferrothorn match up to Thundurus in their respective ways, for example. Mega Kangaskhan still takes the same role as a space-creating tanky beatstick, but the overall build is more about being more punishing to switch into and winning trades through the raw power and coverage which LTV doesn't necessarily provide.

Mega Gengar variants
:gengar-mega::whimsicott::terrakion::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian: - Sample by zee
:gengar-mega::conkeldurr::ferrothorn::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian: - Sample by Memoric
:gengar-mega::diancie::cresselia::gastrodon::thundurus::landorus-therian: - W5 Memoric vs zee, DPL IX
:gengar-mega::Whimsicott::Terrakion::Heatran::Thundurus-Therian::Scrafty: - W1 KyleCole vs yuichi, DPL IX

Teams 1 and 2 are the default MGar approaches, with different slot 2s and 3s. Both teams use LTV to have a good neutral game against most teams, with their pivoty nature also just generally working well with Shadow Tag. The difference in 2s and 3s really does boil down to a playstyle thing, with TerraCott allowing for more explosiveness, while Conkeldurr / Ferrothorn being more about making sure every trade taken is a winning one. Team 3 is a variant that uses Gastrodon to be better into opposing LTV, with the Gastrodon even boasting significant Defense investment to be better into Landorus-T. Diancie makes up for the attacking role that Volcanion usually has by spamming Diamond Storm.

Team 4 is a more ballsy variant which even eschews Landorus-T and Prankster TWave altogether. Heatran is a more aggressive Fire-type which, compared to Volcanion, is also worse into LTV. Thundurus-T is here because it beats Thundurus capably, at the cost of not having Prankster TWave; I even wrote a whole DPL IX Oldtech about it. Scrafty provides Intimidate much like Landorus-T, though it trades a lot of what makes Lando-T good (the spread EQ and the Ground immunity) to be able to provide Fake Out. The team is overall worse into opposing Landorus-T due to dropping their own Landorus-T, but the apparent idea is to leverage TeraCott + Mega Gengar in order to essentially make up for it.

Mega Manectric variants
:manectric-mega::sylveon::porygon2::genesect::volcanion::landorus-therian: - Sample by stax
:manectric-mega::sylveon::gothitelle::conkeldurr::amoonguss::landorus-therian: - W4 SingleThunder vs Yellow Paint, DPL IX

Mega Manectric teams tend to not run the entirety of LTV, obviously because Mega Manectric is already an Electric-type in the team composition and stacking Electrics tends to be no bueno. That aside, Team 1 then essentially has the Mega Manectric version of LTV, with Mega Manectric / Volcanion / Landorus-T; Prankster Thunder Wave's best target has always been Mega Gengar and then Mega Salamence, both of which are still checked by Mega Manectric. The other three slots, though, are then about not losing to Deoxys-A and Landorus-T, two threats that Prankster Thundurus typically checks. The stax sample answers this through the use of CB Genesect / BoltBeam Porygon2, with the Sylveon there as a wincon that leverages the team's double Intimidate.

Team 2 follows a similar style, still having Sylveon for a MMane comp. However, it instead employs a more CM Sylveon-centric, trappy playstyle, with Gothitelle and Conkeldurr there to generate picks on key Steels (Ferrothorn, Bisharp) and Volcanions. The team is actually overall worse into Landorus-T and Deoxys-A as a result, having less pieces that can directly answer the two. I don't necessarily like the team but what it's trying to do is apparent.

Mega Gardevoir variants
:gardevoir-mega::amoonguss::togekiss::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian:
- Sample by Memoric
:gardevoir-mega::amoonguss::blastoise::hydreigon::thundurus::landorus-therian:- W4 Memoric vs Mako, DPL IX
:gardevoir-mega::whimsicott::aegislash::volcanion::landorus-therian::thundurus: - W3 Shadowmonstr7, ORASPL (Arcticblast support)

When it comes to Mega Gardevoir comps, you are more likely to find the double redirection + CM variants running around as it's generally more consistent and has the better track record. The team structure for it is also incredibly easy to decpiher: CM Mega Gardevoir / Two Redirectors / LTV Defensive Backbone. Two redirectors are there in order to virtually guarantee Mega Gardevoir has the required space to win the game, and the LTV defensive backbone (or parts of it) is essentially the best anyone can get with regards to a tried-and-true defensive backbone with a reliable ability to go neutral even in the worst case scenario. Team 2's variations are basically about having Blastoise over Togekiss for a different set of weaknesses and resistances (better into Bisharp and Volcanion, for example), with Hydreigon over Volcanion there to not stack Water-types. It's running Fire Blast, so it can still check Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor for Mega Gardevoir as needed.

Mega Gardevoir Tailwind has seen use, though! Mega Gardevoir is still powerful unboosted, and this team aims to leverage that by aiming to give it the Speed advantage. LTV still has strong offensive utility between Landorus-T's spread EQs, Volcanion's STABs, and Thundurus's great neutral coverage, so even in a more offensive-inclined variant, they're still chosen for being great offensive pieces in their own right in addition to already being stellar defensive answers.

Mega Salamence variants
:salamence-mega::landorus-therian::thundurus::volcanion::bisharp::conkeldurr: - Memoric, various tournaments
:salamence-mega::nidoking::thundurus::volcanion::mew::conkeldurr:- W6 talkingtree vs Mako, DPL IX
:salamence-mega::excadrill::thundurus::volcanion::tyranitar::conkeldurr: - W2 GrandmasCookin vs Mako, DPL IX
:salamence-mega::excadrill::togekiss::heatran::tyranitar::gastrodon: - W2 Mako vs GrandmasCookin, DPL IX

Mega Salamence has notable synergy with Earthquake-spamming Ground-types, its reintroduction to the metgame filling a void that Mega Charizard Y now seems wholly inadequate for. In particular, its Dragon-typing makes it great at covering the Ground-type teammate's weakness to Water-type attacks, such as Steam Eruption, and it's good at matching Volcanion in general. Thus, it makes sense that Landorus-T and Excadrill shine as particularly ideal teammates. Slot 3 is generally Thundurus, though Togekiss is here instead on Team 4 to instead aim to more actively make space for Excadrill. The presence of Mega Salamence, itself also a great check to Landorus-T, means that Thundurus will not be as missed as it often is. Slot 4 is for the Fire-type / Fairy resistance of the comp, with only Team 4 aiming to go with Heatran to make space for the Gastrodon. 3 out of 4 teams notably feature a Dark-type; of course, the two Tyranitars are there to enable Excadrill, but even Team 1 has a Bisharp. This slot, while a bit of a wildcard, is generally there to have a better match-up into Mega Gengar, which Mega Salamence has to be wary of due to Shadow Tag easily enabling picks through Mega Salamence's 4x weakness to Ice. Last slot features 3 of 4 Conkeldurr, and this is mostly to match Mega Kangaskhan as Mega Salamence actually can't use its massive stats against it (due to Seismic Toss) and thus itself only has losing trades. Team 4 has Gastrodon to further provide Water-type hate, though the fact that the team is so lacking into Mega Kangaskhan as a result makes the team feel dubious.

Mega Swampert / Rain variants
:swampert-mega::thundurus::politoed::ludicolo::talonflame::kingdra:
- Sample by EVERYONE!!!
:swampert-mega::thundurus::politoed::ludicolo::genesect::gothitelle:- W5 Mako vs Yellow Paint, DPL IX

Let's make this immediately clear: Mega Swampert is the sole reason to use rain in XY DOU. As for why, it's because it's a physical attacker that Landorus-T can't easily switch into, it's an HO attacker that can't be Prankster Thunder Waved, and it beats Volcanion with Earthquake—in short, it has the ability to favorably pressure if not beat LTV all by itself. That, and also the fact that Kingdra is really REALLY bad in XY DOU, because you can't Muddy Water spam in a metagame where Volcanion is the kingpin.

Now that's out of the way, rain as an archetype doesn't use Landorus-T because they already have Mega Swampert to check Landorus-T. It also doesn't run Volcanion, because it's a Fire-type lol. Among LTV, rain only actually runs Thundurus, as not only is Prankster Thunder Wave still great utility, rain also enables a more offensive approach with Thundurus by providing Thunder 100% accuracy. Slots 3 and 4 are the obligatory Politoed and Ludicolo; Ludicolo is generally more favored over Kingdra because of its access to Fake Out and its better match-up into Volcanion (not being a Fairy weakness and being a Grass-type for Amoonguss helps, too). Slot 5 features the strong priority attacker, the kind that can also break down specific threats with high-powered attacks to keep the ball rolling. Lastly, slot 6 is essentially the utility slot, with the sample opting to go into oonga-boonga HO, while Team 2 instead opts for Gothitelle, which has better synergy with Genesect and provides additional utility in being an actual relatively bulky piece in an HO team that can also potentially Taunt opposing Amoonguss as needed.

--

Closing

If you read the whole thing, good job I guess! As I've established, LTV is quite the ubiquitous presence in the modern XY DOU metagame. As much as there are other viable alternatives out there, LTV really is the old reliable of the XY metagame; the pairing of Genies has been viable since time immemorial, while Volcanion's reign of terror also shows no signs of losing steam anytime soon. As strong as wincon buildarounds Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar are as individual Pokemon, they also don't have the same level of utility that the pieces of LTV offer to teams, which make them a Tier below for most.

What are your thoughts on this? Anything you disagree with, or want to add to? Is there anything that we're missing that can contest LTV's place in the metagame? Hopefully we'll get to see new builds and ideas that rise to the challenge this Homefield (and if not, in DPL). There is even already a metagame shakeup currently underway, after all!

Last edited:

sir jelloton

DPL Champion
Last week, an interesting discussion happened in DOUcord, talking about why Tiers 1 and 2 of the VR are the way they are. Tier 1 features only the genies and Volcanion, while Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan reside at a lower rank. To the outsider, this may seem weird—why are two of the format's best attackers and buildarounds not ranked to be the very pinnacle of the metagame? However, I'll talk about here why this particular ranking actually is quite sensible and reflects how the metagame works.

Note that these are all generally my takes on the metagame, you can disagree.

--

On the Two-Fold Utility Landorus-T / Thundurus / Volcanion (LTV)

First point that needs to be established: Landorus-T, Thundurus, and Volcanion are all very powerful Pokemon in a vacuum, and for XY DOU's standards, their individual kits alone would merit them DOU-level usage without considering specific metagame match-ups. To give a quick rundown:
  • :landorus-therian: Landorus-T is a strong attacker with a relatively balanced defensive profile. Packing 145 base Attack and STAB Earthquake, it's able to output high damage very efficiently. Meanwhile, its Ground / Flying defensive typing gives it two handy immunities to Electric and Ground, as well as a Fighting resistance. Most importantly, it has Intimidate access, an obviously powerful ability that lets it carry a team's matchup against opposing physical attackers. Landorus-T in general excels at being a pivot, using its Earthquakes to pressure and slowly break down the opposing team, while leveraging its bulk, typing, and Intimidate to mitigate the damage of physical foes.
  • :thundurus: On top of an interesting stat spread that lends it great versatility, Thundurus also notably has Prankster Thunder Wave. Prankster Thunder Wave is fundamentally strong as it effectively prevents almost any faster attack from being a real threat. It also even has a base 125 Special Attack stat, which lets its Thunderbolt deal good damage while uninvested. It being a utility Pokemon with Prankster allows it to run fully defensive spreads while still being effective, giving it surprising tenacity despite its frail 79 / 70 / 80 spread. It also just has great offensive base stats, with a stellar 111 base Speed, to run effectively run offensive sets and subvert expectations. (It also has a Defiant set, but in the context of talking about Thundurus being a Tier 1 Pokemon, this doesn't matter.)
  • :volcanion: When it comes to looking at bulky special attackers, more than their offensive abilities it's their defensive utility which make or break their viability. Its Water / Fire typing—fortunately for Volcanion, its profile is stellar on both ends. Fire / Water defensive typing gives it valuable resistances to Fire, Ice, Steel, and Fairy, while its ability Water Absorb even gives it an additional immunity to Water-type attacks. Offensively, a Fire / Water STAB combination is also generally quite strong due to great neutral and super effective coverage (though walled by Dragon); Heat Wave makes Volcanion be great at breaking down the opposing team, while Steam Eruption is obviously such a busted move because it's basically Hydro Pump with a significant burn chance in a Generation where chip damage from burn actually matters. All of this without even mention its base stats as well; its 80 / 120 physical bulk lets it stomach one EQ and most users are punished by Steam Eruption, and base 130 Special Attack is just obviously fantastic for an attacking role.
Of course, the very concept of metagaming prevents us from looking at individual Pokemon in a vacuum—as certain Pokemon / teams / team archetypes are established to be strong, the viability of certain Pokemon then fluctuate in accordance to their match-ups. This is what make Landorus-T, Thundurus, and Volcanion the Tier 1 Pokemon that they are—not only are LTV already fundamentally powerful, metagame-shaping Pokemon individually, they also interact in a way that makes them very convenient answers to themselves. I'll be giving a quick rundown on this as well; in Mirror Dynamics below, I'll be talking about how each individual Pokemon interact with each other in the LTV mirror.

PokemonPokemonGeneral Mirror Dynamics
:landorus-therian: Landorus-T:landorus-therian: Landorus-TOne of the best answers to physical Ground-types is, unsurprsingly, a Flying-type with Intimidate, and that's what Landorus-T is. Often, the mirror matchup becomes a staring contest for both parties, especially in the lead position where pleasantries are exchanged with Intimidating looks. Outside of the lead, the match-up becomes about being in position to Intimidate the opposing Landorus-T. Rocky Helmet sets can typically get ahead in the mirror momentarily as these sets can set Stealth Rocks in the mirror and can punish a U-turn, but they also tend to be less consistent versus the broader metagame so it often goes minus for its team later on.
:landorus-therian: Landorus-T:thundurus: ThundurusAs a Ground-type, Landorus-T is a Thunder Wave-immunity. Assault Vest sets in particular are often super comfortable, especially in the early-game, as they can typically take an HP Ice and deal much more back with Stone Edge. Later into the game, though, Thundurus comes up better as Landorus-T is often then in range of HP Ice lethal, after supposedly doing its duties as a pivot. It's generally neutral either way, with both Pokemon essentially neutralizing each other. This is not counting the Defiant set, of course, but that's not the set that makes Thundurus Tier 1.
:landorus-therian: Landorus-T:volcanion: VolcanionLandorus-T is a Ground-type, and Ground is super effective against Fire. However, Volcanion is VERY physically bulky even while uninvested, and Landorus-T really would NOT want to take a Steam Eruption. It's an even trade when both are healthy if Landorus-T is AV, and better for Landorus-T after chip on both sides, purely because it's faster. Volcanion also generally comes off great if a teammate Landorus-T comes onto the field for Intimidate, as opposing -1 defensive Landorus-T should only deal around 42% with EQ to Volcanion, more or less.

Volcanion having this dynamic is particularly one reason why Heatran fell off; Heatran needs Shuca Berry to be any comfortable doing this (i.e. won't have an actual difference-making item like AV / Safety Goggles), and it also lacks any real punish after the fact as it only has a meager Heat Wave to hit back with.
:thundurus: Thundurus:thundurus: ThundurusAs an Electric-type, Thundurus is a Thunder Wave immunity, and as Thundurus is also often just a bulky specially defensive set, they often come into each other. It's literally a staring contest. A Thundurus running Toxic does come off the best in the mirror, but that's dark technology (it's real, but the average person someone can ask an XY team from will likely not have any teams with Toxic Thundurus)
:thundurus: Thundurus:volcanion: VolcanionVolcanion versus Thundurus is actually the only blatantly losing matchup within the LTV mirror dynamic—however, if we're to compare the match-up to Thundurus with the Pokemon Volcanion usurped in Heatran, it's actually relatively fine overall? An AV Volcanion takes around 46% from a Modest 0 SpA Thundurus, while Heatran (not AV) takes around 41%. "bUt mEmoRic, oNe hAs AV aNd tHe oThEr dOeSn'T!!1", to which I respond, there is no world where Heatran can run an AV in XY with its set of weaknesses (particularly to Fighting and Water). Plus, this is a comparison between the two at their most practical.

Volcanion is also just harder for Thundurus to switch into / deal with on the field, purely because Steam Eruption is that strong of a move. And, if taking the engagement against Thundurus with Volcanion is not the preferred route, it's also really easy to just switch out into Landorus-T lol; Hidden Power Ice for the switch only gets clicked by psychopaths in neutral positions, mostly because there is a very real threat of Volcanion just staying in anyway to Steam.
:volcanion: Volcanion:volcanion: VolcanionWith a 4x resistance to Fire and Water Absorb, Volcanion is the best thing to switch into itself. The AV Volcanion mirror is often a lot about trying to get better value out of your own compared to the other guy's; thus, knowing who you should have next to your Volcanion is important. You'll feel at best in positions where you can click Steam Eruption; clicking EP is something that you want to avoid because it's generally low value, unless specifically targeting Volcanion matters for a desired wincon, of course. In AV vs Non-AV matchups, the non-AV set loses, of course... unless it's a Sub set with Lefties, in which case the match-up gets sussy for the AV player for not having Protect and they probably deserve to lose at that point. Running SubLefties Volcanion in this metagame is kinda impossible though, so it's whatevs.

As can be seen above, LTV by themselves can comprise a team's match-up into opposing LTV quite well. We can conclude, then, that players often opt into using LTV to get the best of both worlds, because they simultaneously get to reap the benefits of having the best Pokemon in the format while also having answers to the best Pokemon in the format on the opposing team.

--

Viability Rankings Tiers: The Numbers and Dynamics

Perhaps if we look at the other Oldgen VRs, we'll genuinely struggle to find a set of top Tiered Pokemon that are a cut above the rest because of this two-fold usefulness. The only one that comes close is ADV's Latias / Metagross / Gengar, but I digress; in the ADV metagame, all of these are strong and are at the same time answers to each other, with the dynamics of having HP Fire on Latias forcing players to make the decision to opt into certain lines as early as the teambuilder. Still, Gengar's place in this trio is disputable, as while it does check Metagross a bit with Fire Punch, it also just has a somewhat unfavored match-up into Latias, and overall it comes off as more of a joker card in the ADV metagame thanks to its immunities and coverage rather than an undeniably powerful Pokemon in its own right.

Going back to XY though, Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar are also fundamentally strong Pokemon in a vacuum. The way they are designed, they basically dictate how the game is approached by a player; a Mega Gengar team tends to play in a slower, more trappy style as they aim to leverage Shadow Tag to force bad trades for the opponent, while a Mega Kangaskhan team tends to use their Mega Kangaskhan as the tip of the proverbial spear, using it either to break with its powerful Parental Bond Seismic Toss while its massive bulk for an attacker with that kind of power makes most trades unfair. However, what they lack is the utility in being a check to a massive swathe of Pokemon while being still fundamentally powerful individual threats in the way that Landorus-T, Thundurus, and Volcanion are; they're strong, sure, but they're not typically usable in the same reactive way that LTV can be.

xD?

Above are the cumulative usage stats from the recent DPL IX, which features arguably the most tryhard approach to XY DOU teambuilding among any other tour. Yes, that is indeed a 19% gap between Thundurus and Amoonguss—there is a very noticeable divide here, with the only the >50% usage Pokemon being the only ones in current Tier 1. Of course, one of the biggest differences between regular Pokemon and Mega Evolutions are that you can use regular Pokemon (e.g. LTV) on any team, while Megas basically are mutually exclusive with each other for a teamslot, so we can't immediately conclude that Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan are not Tier 1 through these hard numbers. Indeed, Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan were even Tier 1 not too long ago—but there are very real reasons for why they're Tier 2 now, and it can be seen very much in how XY is played at the moment:
  • As mentioned, Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar lack the utility of being convenient checks to fundamentally strong Pokemon in the meta, or do not do it to the degree that LTV does.
  • People have genuinely gotten better at dealing with Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan. I'm being serious when I say this, because Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar are genuinely broken Pokemon, and dealing with them tends to be really hard. However, the metagame tends to be quite prepared for them now, and everyone typically also knows their lines into them. We're at a point where the ideal ways to deal with the two Megas are quite established, and while they are undeniably powerful, the fact that they don't have the same utility as LTV while being so targeted makes them T2 at most, for now.
    • We all already know about Rocky Helmet Amoonguss for Mega Kangaskhan, but a lot of recent developments in the metagame happened with these Megas in mind. AV Conkeldurr is a Mega Kangaskhan counter that MGar itself can't do a dent to; Landorus-T and Volcanion running AV is particularly motivated by the improved Mega Gengar match-up; and MGar + Ferrothorn teams being more real is motivated MGar teams having a suspicious match-up into Crunch Mega Kangaskhan, and if the Ferro is SpDef with Shed Shell (which it can afford) it also gets around be favorable into enemy Mega Gengar. Even a much more recent development, Deoxys-S, is good primarily because of its interesting dynamics with the two; Rocky Helmet means Mega Kangaskhan will feel really bad hitting it, and it's faster than Mega Gengar and can generally OHKO it with Psycho Boost.
    • Noticeably, there is actually one more Pokemon, a non-Mega, that's targeted in the same way: Amoonguss, which people run Safety Goggles for. Spore really is just that strong, innit? This is more of a fun observation than anything, but it does give more context to its position as the 4th most used Pokemon in XY DOU,
    • Why isn't SM, a Gen with Mega Evoltions, as Mega Evolution-centric? Two reasons: stronger items, and stronger Pokemon. The existence of Z-moves and 50% berries mean there's more power spread out throughout a team, and SM also generally features much more broken Pokemon (Tapus, Inciniroar, Kartana, Kommo-o). Mega Evolutions don't define teambuilding as much when the rest of the team is genuinely up to par with it, rather than being a smudge below in power.
--

LTV and the XY DOU Metagame: A Survey

As we've established, LTV is a cut above the rest, and essentially everywhere. We can essentially think of using LTV to compliment teambuilding as a default approach to the metagame; you're not doing anything exciting, but you're approaching games in a way that generally covers your bases because of the core's synergies with each other and their dynamics with most opposing teams.

However, as much as LTV is everywhere, of course not every team will use it as a core; some only bring two, some even just one. There are two good reasons as to why LTV basically isn't everywhere:
  • As strong as the core is, it's still not a monolith. A lot of what makes LTV good is how it goes neutral in the mirror; players can actively decide that going neutral isn't enough, and devise ways to break down the typical meta core. This is fundamental to metagame development, the idea that players will actively try to beat whatever it is that's established to be good. They will try to use specific sets and Pokemon that targets them, and often this comes at the cost of teamslots that would otherwise belong to LTV.
  • Some team compositions simply don't work with the entirety of LTV lol.
Indeed, even as I've hyped up LTV to be as strong as they are now, it can't actually fit onto every teamstyle. Not every team in XY DOU is MGar / MKang + LTV + two other goons; there are actually other variations and other viable archetypes out there that can go toe-to-toe with the upper tiers when built properly. In addition, going back to the first point above, not every MGar / MKang player wants to roll up with LTV every game. Below, I'll giving a short overview of the various archetypes in the metagame, showing various examples of teams choosing to (not) opt into using LTV and trying explain the possible rationale for doing so.

(All teams are public in some form, if not in pastes then through replays. If you want 'em, go find em.)

Mega Kangaskhan variants
:kangaskhan-mega::sylveon::amoonguss::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian: - Sample by zee
:kangaskhan-mega::keldeo::bisharp::ferrothorn::deoxys-attack::talonflame: - Sample by tenzai
:kangaskhan-mega::deoxys-attack::kyurem-black::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian: - W4 talkingtree vs Grandmascookin, DPL IX

Teams 1 and 2 are actually the two Mega Kangaskhan sample teams, and one notably has the entirety of LTV and the other without. Team 1 is basically the most default approach you can take when playing XY; this is a comp that has lasted the test of time because of how fundamentally solid the team is. The team essentially leverage the ability of LTV to neutralize most match-ups, while Mega Kangaskhan and Amoonguss are there to make space for a CM Sylveon win. Team 3 shows a different, relative less standard flavor of LTV MKang, instead taking a more aggressive approach with Kyurem-B being a good XY DOU Pokemon purely because of how it can eviscerate opposing LTVs. Due to a lack of a dedicated wincon with no CM Sylveon in tow, LTV here instead can be played more aggressively, especially considering Deoxys-A offers immense pressure and Kyurem-B itself is a more threatening pivot than Amoonguss.

Team 2, meanwhile, takes a much more aggressive approach to XY DOU; eschewing the defensive play LTV offers, it instead opts to give opposing teams no space to breath. Even then, opposing LTV is still answered if you look at the team's individual match-ups; Keldeo capably marks Volcanion and Landorus-T, while Deoxys-A and Ferrothorn match up to Thundurus in their respective ways, for example. Mega Kangaskhan still takes the same role as a space-creating tanky beatstick, but the overall build is more about being more punishing to switch into and winning trades through the raw power and coverage which LTV doesn't necessarily provide.

Mega Gengar variants
:gengar-mega::whimsicott::terrakion::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian: - Sample by zee
:gengar-mega::conkeldurr::ferrothorn::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian: - Sample by Memoric
:gengar-mega::diancie::cresselia::gastrodon::thundurus::landorus-therian: - W5 Memoric vs zee, DPL IX
:gengar-mega::Whimsicott::Terrakion::Heatran::Thundurus-Therian::Scrafty: - W1 KyleCole vs yuichi, DPL IX

Teams 1 and 2 are the default MGar approaches, with different slot 2s and 3s. Both teams use LTV to have a good neutral game against most teams, with their pivoty nature also just generally working well with Shadow Tag. The difference in 2s and 3s really does boil down to a playstyle thing, with TerraCott allowing for more explosiveness, while Conkeldurr / Ferrothorn being more about making sure every trade taken is a winning one. Team 3 is a variant that uses Gastrodon to be better into opposing LTV, with the Gastrodon even boasting significant Defense investment to be better into Landorus-T. Diancie makes up for the attacking role that Volcanion usually has by spamming Diamond Storm.

Team 4 is a more ballsy variant which even eschews Landorus-T and Prankster TWave altogether. Heatran is a more aggressive Fire-type which, compared to Volcanion, is also worse into LTV. Thundurus-T is here because it beats Thundurus capably, at the cost of not having Prankster TWave; I even wrote a whole DPL IX Oldtech about it. Scrafty provides Intimidate much like Landorus-T, though it trades a lot of what makes Lando-T good (the spread EQ and the Ground immunity) to be able to provide Fake Out. The team is overall worse into opposing Landorus-T due to dropping their own Landorus-T, but the apparent idea is to leverage TeraCott + Mega Gengar in order to essentially make up for it.

Mega Manectric variants
:manectric-mega::sylveon::porygon2::genesect::volcanion::landorus-therian: - Sample by stax
:manectric-mega::sylveon::gothitelle::conkeldurr::amoonguss::landorus-therian: - W4 SingleThunder vs Yellow Paint, DPL IX

Mega Manectric teams tend to not run the entirety of LTV, obviously because Mega Manectric is already an Electric-type in the team composition and stacking Electrics tends to be no bueno. That aside, Team 1 then essentially has the Mega Manectric version of LTV, with Mega Manectric / Volcanion / Landorus-T; Prankster Thunder Wave's best target has always been Mega Gengar and then Mega Salamence, both of which are still checked by Mega Manectric. The other three slots, though, are then about not losing to Deoxys-A and Landorus-T, two threats that Prankster Thundurus typically checks. The stax sample answers this through the use of CB Genesect / BoltBeam Porygon2, with the Sylveon there as a wincon that leverages the team's double Intimidate.

Team 2 follows a similar style, still having Sylveon for a MMane comp. However, it instead employs a more CM Sylveon-centric, trappy playstyle, with Gothitelle and Conkeldurr there to generate picks on key Steels (Ferrothorn, Bisharp) and Volcanions. The team is actually overall worse into Landorus-T and Deoxys-A as a result, having less pieces that can directly answer the two. I don't necessarily like the team but what it's trying to do is apparent.

Mega Gardevoir variants
:gardevoir-mega::amoonguss::togekiss::volcanion::thundurus::landorus-therian:
- Sample by Memoric
:gardevoir-mega::amoonguss::blastoise::hydreigon::thundurus::landorus-therian:- W4 Memoric vs Mako, DPL IX
:gardevoir-mega::whimsicott::aegislash::volcanion::landorus-therian::thundurus: - W3 Shadowmonstr7, ORASPL (Arcticblast support)

When it comes to Mega Gardevoir comps, you are more likely to find the double redirection + CM variants running around as it's generally more consistent and has the better track record. The team structure for it is also incredibly easy to decpiher: CM Mega Gardevoir / Two Redirectors / LTV Defensive Backbone. Two redirectors are there in order to virtually guarantee Mega Gardevoir has the required space to win the game, and the LTV defensive backbone (or parts of it) is essentially the best anyone can get with regards to a tried-and-true defensive backbone with a reliable ability to go neutral even in the worst case scenario. Team 2's variations are basically about having Blastoise over Togekiss for a different set of weaknesses and resistances (better into Bisharp and Volcanion, for example), with Hydreigon over Volcanion there to not stack Water-types. It's running Fire Blast, so it can still check Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor for Mega Gardevoir as needed.

Mega Gardevoir Tailwind has seen use, though! Mega Gardevoir is still powerful unboosted, and this team aims to leverage that by aiming to give it the Speed advantage. LTV still has strong offensive utility between Landorus-T's spread EQs, Volcanion's STABs, and Thundurus's great neutral coverage, so even in a more offensive-inclined variant, they're still chosen for being great offensive pieces in their own right in addition to already being stellar defensive answers.

Mega Salamence variants
:salamence-mega::landorus-therian::thundurus::volcanion::bisharp::conkeldurr: - Memoric, various tournaments
:salamence-mega::nidoking::thundurus::volcanion::mew::conkeldurr:- W6 talkingtree vs Mako, DPL IX
:salamence-mega::excadrill::thundurus::volcanion::tyranitar::conkeldurr: - W2 GrandmasCookin vs Mako, DPL IX
:salamence-mega::excadrill::togekiss::heatran::tyranitar::gastrodon: - W2 Mako vs GrandmasCookin, DPL IX

Mega Salamence has notable synergy with Earthquake-spamming Ground-types, its reintroduction to the metgame filling a void that Mega Charizard Y now seems wholly inadequate for. In particular, its Dragon-typing makes it great at covering the Ground-type teammate's weakness to Water-type attacks, such as Steam Eruption, and it's good at matching Volcanion in general. Thus, it makes sense that Landorus-T and Excadrill shine as particularly ideal teammates. Slot 3 is generally Thundurus, though Togekiss is here instead on Team 4 to instead aim to more actively make space for Excadrill. The presence of Mega Salamence, itself also a great check to Landorus-T, means that Thundurus will not be as missed as it often is. Slot 4 is for the Fire-type / Fairy resistance of the comp, with only Team 4 aiming to go with Heatran to make space for the Gastrodon. 3 out of 4 teams notably feature a Dark-type; of course, the two Tyranitars are there to enable Excadrill, but even Team 1 has a Bisharp. This slot, while a bit of a wildcard, is generally there to have a better match-up into Mega Gengar, which Mega Salamence has to be wary of due to Shadow Tag easily enabling picks through Mega Salamence's 4x weakness to Ice. Last slot features 3 of 4 Conkeldurr, and this is mostly to match Mega Kangaskhan as Mega Salamence actually can't use its massive stats against it (due to Seismic Toss) and thus itself only has losing trades. Team 4 has Gastrodon to further provide Water-type hate, though the fact that the team is so lacking into Mega Kangaskhan as a result makes the team feel dubious.

Mega Swampert / Rain variants
:swampert-mega::thundurus::politoed::ludicolo::talonflame::kingdra:
- Sample by EVERYONE!!!
:swampert-mega::thundurus::politoed::ludicolo::genesect::gothitelle:- W5 Mako vs Yellow Paint, DPL IX

Let's make this immediately clear: Mega Swampert is the sole reason to use rain in XY DOU. As for why, it's because it's a physical attacker that Landorus-T can't easily switch into, it's an HO attacker that can't be Prankster Thunder Waved, and it beats Volcanion with Earthquake—in short, it has the ability to favorably pressure if not beat LTV all by itself. That, and also the fact that Kingdra is really REALLY bad in XY DOU, because you can't Muddy Water spam in a metagame where Volcanion is the kingpin.

Now that's out of the way, rain as an archetype doesn't use Landorus-T because they already have Mega Swampert to check Landorus-T. It also doesn't run Volcanion, because it's a Fire-type lol. Among LTV, rain only actually runs Thundurus, as not only is Prankster Thunder Wave still great utility, rain also enables a more offensive approach with Thundurus by providing Thunder 100% accuracy. Slots 3 and 4 are the obligatory Politoed and Ludicolo; Ludicolo is generally more favored over Kingdra because of its access to Fake Out and its better match-up into Volcanion (not being a Fairy weakness and being a Grass-type for Amoonguss helps, too). Slot 5 features the strong priority attacker, the kind that can also break down specific threats with high-powered attacks to keep the ball rolling. Lastly, slot 6 is essentially the utility slot, with the sample opting to go into oonga-boonga HO, while Team 2 instead opts for Gothitelle, which has better synergy with Genesect and provides additional utility in being an actual relatively bulky piece in an HO team that can also potentially Taunt opposing Amoonguss as needed.

--

Closing

If you read the whole thing, good job I guess! As I've established, LTV is quite the ubiquitous presence in the modern XY DOU metagame. As much as there are other viable alternatives out there, LTV really is the old reliable of the XY metagame; the pairing of Genies has been viable since time immemorial, while Volcanion's reign of terror also shows no signs of losing steam anytime soon. As strong as wincon buildarounds Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar are as individual Pokemon, they also don't have the same level of utility that the pieces of LTV offer to teams, which make them a Tier below for most.

What are your thoughts on this? Anything you disagree with, or want to add to? Is there anything that we're missing that can contest LTV's place in the metagame? Hopefully we'll get to see new builds and ideas that rise to the challenge this Homefield (and if not, in DPL). There is even already a metagame shakeup currently underway, after all!
Thank you so much for posting this. I think I was the one who originally asked the question about LTV in the vr. I didn't understand how they could be considered better than mkang and mgar who seemed so apparent and influential in the builder, but it makes way more sense to me now. I never liked XY before, but after reading this post in full the tier seems really intriguing to me now and I think I want to give it another try.

Thanks a lot memo!

:deoxys-speed: 4 -> 3

The modern meta has seen a surge in hazard usage thanks to this guy. Nothing really likes clicking rocks in XY because they're either bad pokemon or would prefer to run other moves. Deoxys gets up spikes and rocks, threatens ice beam on scarf lando, and basically puts anything it wants in range of stoss kang or cb gene espeed. You cannot build a team weak to hazards in the current metagame or the kang / deos / lando / volc +2 structure will eat you alive.

:diancie-mega: 4 -> 3

Conversely, a hazard metagame is going to necessitate some hazard counterplay, and until we start running spin blastoise or defog latias, Mdiancie is one of the better checks to the deos hazard stack structure. It's also pretty hard for most teams to have more than 1 mon faster than it, it cant be thunder waved, and has enough set variety to not be considered linear. Very good at supporting other aggressive mons like talonflame and bisharp through their combined offensive coverage.

:manectric-mega: 3 -> 4

The type of slowplay that manectric enables is simply not in favor for the current metagame imo. The best thing it does is prey on the gengar fat structures like the memoric sample team, but its combined matchups across the field leave it to rarely be a mon I actually want to be bringing to games. The opportunity cost of benching any other tier 3 (+diancie) mega for this mon is just too high imo.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
[THREAD UPDATES]

[VIABILITY RANKINGS]

The XY DOU Viability Rankings is once again updated! This vote spans from up to the Oldgens Invitational. This vote was done with myself, qsns, Tenzai, SMB, Actuarily, Yuichi, and zee.

Rises
:conkeldurr:Conkeldurr: 3 -> 2
:deoxys-speed:Deoxys-S: 4 -> 3
:diancie-mega::Mega Diancie: 4 -> 3

Falls
:manectric-mega:Mega Manectric: 3 -> 4
Good luck to everyone getting into XY DOU for the next DPL!

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Greetings, DOU Community and all passing bystanders! With a new year comes another edition of DPL, along with some certified heat that the best of DOU's oldgens have to offer. Thus I bring you DPL Oldgens Tech of the Week!!!, where we highlight one particular Pokemon and talk about what it does, why it works, and how it fits within its respective metagame.

For DPL X Week 1, we'll be looking at a heat pick by talkingtree:

:xy/Gastrodon:
the pink one is better

GAME LINK.

Landorus-Therian. Thundurus-Incarnate. Volcanion. For every teambuilding decision an XY DOU builder makes and every trend in the metagame that comes after, these are the three reasons why. These three currently possess a level of omnipresence and omnipotence unmatched in any DOU oldgen, and while I can elaborate much more about these three, I already did so before. So to keep this part brief, let's just say that these three Pokemon are really, really good, and influence XY teambuilding to a significant degree.

Gastrodon, meanhwile, just looks... quite unassuming? Aside from its infamy as a Storm Drain user, Gastrodon doesn't really seem to stand out for anything else, really. Sure, it does have a high base HP stat which does carry its bulk by a lot, but all its other numbers are around below average, with its Speed just straight up dismal at base 39. Still, Gastrodon has actually been making waves for a quite a while now, and it really makes you wonder—how can Gastrodon, a bulky piece that's only really bulky on one side and has little to boast in attacking stats, actually stand up to and see use alongside the other titans of XY DOU, notably the most centralized of DOU's oldgens?

Of course, there are three big reasons why.

Gastrodon in the XY Metagame

Landorus-Therian. Thundurus-Incarnate. Volcanion. Gastrodon stands out as a particularly resilient silver bullet to XY DOU's big three, its combination of stats, typing, ability, and coverage all culminating into a package that handily checks all three of them at once. Its combination of Water-typing and Storm Drain lets it donowall Volcanion quite handily, as it can easily devour its Heat Wave and Steam Eruption while still having room for seconds. It's also a Ground-type without an Ice weakness, making it one of the best pure dedicated answers to Thundurus and its annoying Thunder Waves. It also boasts excellent super effective coverage between Ice Beam and Earth Power, which lets it punish the big three and notably Landorus-T, whose 4x weakness to Ice will leave it croaking to an Ice Beam.

However, when it comes to the niche of being a Pokemon that specifically beats LTV, it's not particularly unique. Kyurem-B, currently Tier 2, stands as the highest regarded among Pokemon that specifically aim to beat LTV. It has the same Ice / Ground coverage that Gastrodon has, while also having much more titanic base stats and STAB on its Ice-type Attacks for higher kill thresholds on the genies. With an Assault Vest, it actually takes only 3% more from Volcanion's Heat Wave compared to the Fire-resistant Gastrodon, and Fusion Bolt hitting on the physical side and coming off a base 170 Attack stat means it can actually hit Assault Vest Volcanion harder than Gastrodon's super effective STAB Earth Power.

So what gives? What does Gastrodon have that makes it worth using over KB? Well, a lot of it is actually in how easier it can be to play Gastrodon in relatively more neutral positions, where the match-up isn't just against LTV but inclusive of the rest of the enemy team. This is where the negative aspects of Kyurem-B's Ice typing is felt the most; weaknesses to Fighting, Steel, and Rock give Kyurem-B much less overall longevity as it finds itself cowering to popular non-LTV metagame threats in Conkeldurr, Genesect, and Diancie, even as well as to offbase picks such as TTar + Excadrill, Terrakion, and Ferrothorn. Its Dragon-typing also does come to haunt it in matchups against Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir, with its Fusion Bolt easily neutered by an Intimidate. Gastrodon's typing, meanwhile, leaves it with only a weakness to Grass and makes it have overall have more neutral type matchups; while it does have to respect HP Grass from Volcanion, it doesn't kill at 100 and, really, making Volcanion have to use a move other than its STABs is already a win in itself.

Compared to KB, Gastrodon also has more actual longevity. Gastrodon's access to Recover and its resistance to Stealth Rock mean that it can come into the field repeatedly throughout the game more effectively than Kyurem-B. While Kyurem-B does actually have access to Roost, it often never has a proper chance to use it because it finds itself easily punished by a significant portion of the metagame, as described previously, and even the characters of LTV can prove to be annoying with their Superpower, Thunder Wave, and Steam Eruption. Gastrodon, in comparison, fears neither Thunder Wave nor any of Volcanion's STABs. This leaves KB often just running Assault Vest, with players tacitly understanding that KB is best as a pure statstick with the tradeoff of being vulnerable to getting whittled down over time. Having to hold an Assault Vest also gives Kyurem-B a relative lack of zanyness—predictably as they are, even Landorus-T (AV vs Helmet), Thundurus (Bulky vs Defiant vs Fast), and Volcanion (AV vs Safety Goggles) all have viable set variations, and Kyurem-B being more-or-less a one-trick pony gives it punishable predictability (Sub has been increasingly difficult to bring because the threat of Sylveon / MGard and Snarl Mega Manectric always exists). Gastrodon, meanwhile, threatens to both Toxic and Protect, and it also has an actual item slot it can freely use to push certain matchups in its favor; while Sitrus Berry is a generalist item that it can always hold, its massive base HP (for Mega Kangagskhan Seismic Toss) also makes it a viable Rocky Helmet user, and it could also just hold a Safety Goggles for no other reason than it could.

Gastrodon's biggest edge, however. is in its ability, Storm Drain. Not only does this let Gastrodon be immune to Water-type moves, it also makes it so that Gastrodon's teammates never have to fear taking a single-target Water-type attack, most notable of which is Volcanion's Steam Eruption. Having a Gastodon on your team makes it so that the enemy player always has to consider a risk when they think about using their Volcanion's Steam Eruption, which also then means that your own Pokemon can always find themselves feeling a certain sense of safety from Steam Eruption. Gastrodon's ability to discourage Steam Eruption even without actually coming onto the field is a huge asset, as not only do you get to avoid taking the significant single-target damage that Steam Eruption deals, but you also don't have to deal with Steam Eruption's burn chance in a Generation where burn damage actually racks up quickly. Outright making your opponent's play a net positive for yourself is one of the biggest swings you can have in a game like Pokemon, and this is an aspect of Gastrodon as a utility pick that Kyurem-B can never mechanically match.

tier 2 fraud

Of course, there's other "LTV-beater"-type picks in the metagame that do also compete with Gastrodon. For example, Conkeldurr is actually another kind of Pokemon within this niche. However, it's not as adept at KOing LTV pieces specifically, but rather its usefulness is more about keeping that match-up neutral while also capably hunting down Mega Kangaskhan and Bisharp. Another LTV Beater is actually Porygon2, which is actually the closest you can get to a pure wall without becoming like Chansey and compromising offensive ability. While it's lacking in meaningful resistances and only has BoltBeam (though for the purposes of beating LTV, it suffices), it's unique in that it can provide Trick Room for its team, and having the agency to dictate the Speed matchups can be invaluable for certain playstyles. What Gastrodon has above both of them, though, is that it's the most pure answer to LTV that you can find, and Kyurem-B, aside from being the biggest stick you can bash your opponents with while not costing a Mega Stone, is its most direct competitor.

Gastrodon having a one-up over KB within this niche is itself a direct result of meta trends. Last year, it could have been an argument which was better because the only metagame development that directly hampered KB was the surge of Conkeldurr. As we got to present day, however, it may be more clear-cut; the development of Deo-S Hazard Stack and rising prominence of Choice Band Genesect discourage the use of KB greatly. However, whether or not having a Gastrodon in your team in the present metagame also needs to be seen; the resurgence of dominant physical attackers may bode poorly for Gastrodon as its relatively low base Defense could get exposed, and it was better in an otherwise special attacker-oriented metagame where it could polarize matchups by going all-in on its Special Defense and leaving the rest to a partner Landorus-T.

Sets and Appearances

Gastrodon generally uses the following set:

:gastrodon:
Gastrodon @ Rocky Helmet
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic / Protect

Gastrodon wants to run Earth Power and Ice Beam as it's not really an offensive threat with its low Special Attack stat and is rather dependent on hitting super effectively to boost its damage. This is why it drops its Water STAB for Ice / Ground coverage, a combination famous for its great super effective coverage that conveniently hits all of LTV as well as Bisharp and Diancie super effectively. Toxic and Protect are both viable options for its last moveslot. Toxic is generally recommended in order to punish the very bulky threats that Gastrodon would otherwise be unable to punish, such as Porygon2, AVKB, and Cresselia. Protect, meanwhile, is better in player match-ups where the opponent is particularly hyper offense-oriented.

Rocky Helmet is a great item for Gastrodon in order for it to be a great answer to Mega Kangaskhan, as its massive base HP means that it'll take three turns of Seismic Toss to go down. Recent metagame developments have also increased Rocky Helmet's viability as it's also now particularly useful for punishing Conkeldurr and Genesect, among others. Sitrus Berry and Leftovers are both fine items to consider for recovery, since Gastrodon's job is just to check stuff and take hits. However, they can feel lacking in the sense that Rocky Helmet actively makes certain match-ups considerably better, while the generalist utility of the health recovery may feel underwhelming and not actively impactful enough to turn games from losing to winning. Safety Goggles is another item like Rocky Helmet in that it's specifically to make it more likely to win a certain match-up, but Gastrodon may not be the kind of guy you'd want to beat Rage Powder as it doesn't actively threaten much anyway (and it can also just die to Energy Ball lol).

talkingtree actually used a spread of 216 HP / 148 Def / 84 SpA / 60 SpD with a Quiet nature. " [It] underspeeds min speed conk, takes +spa deo-a psycho boost, takes <50% from -1 CB talon brave bird," they claimed. I never checked if this is true, but I'll take their word for it... though I did comment on them possibly fighting hallucinations by EVing for a -1 CB Talonflame, to which we digressed. My spread from my DPL IX teamdump may or may not be any better, though: 248 HP / 124 Def / 52 SpA / 84 SpD with a Bold nature. Not because the benchmarks are bad because, I mean, I made the spread so it's probably good but... I genuinely don't remember what I EVd for. Oopsie! I digress. This part really isn't for talking about the spreads, anyway, but rather so you (reader) have access to some spreads if you want to try out Gastrodon for yourself.

As mentioned, Gastrodon has actually had its place in the XY metagame already even prior to last year's DPL, as it's always been a bit of a rogue but nevertheless viable pick in the metagame. I would love to share certain memorable games that featured Gastorodon... but I won't because someone did a little oopsie on PS! and the replays went all poof! gone gone. Still, aside from the DPL X game this week between talkingtree and Yellow Paint, I do still have one more game to talk about: my DPL IX game with zee last year, which we apparently played on smogtours and thus has a replay which survived the purge. Yay!

DPL IX Memoric vs zee: This is a game where I brought Gastrodon mostly because of its great synergy with Diancie, a Fire-resistant threat who no longer needs to fear taking a Steam Eruption thanks to Storm Drain. Though I faced no Volcanion this game, it did seem like it'd put it in work this game off preview as, though it's definitely good into the genies, its resistance to Rock meant that it could force zee into lines they didn't like with their Terrakion.​
Gastrodon actually quickly showed its mettle this game—after I double targeted the slot that Mega Kangaskhan switched into while Mega Evolving my Mega Gengar, I was then able to just Protect with Mega Gengar as zee's Mega Kangaskhan and Thundurus were forced to interact with my Gastrodon only, who promptly finished off the former with Rocky Helmet. While the crit from Volt Switch did help a ton, Mega Kangaskhan probably would have still fallen to two rounds of Rocky Helmet, though the real impactful difference the Gastrodon not having to take another round of Seismic Toss. Gastrodon was then able to Earth Power the Terrakion later in the game after taking a boosted Rock Slide, its Rock-resistance proving key to winning the game as Terrakion often doesn't want to use moves other than Rock Slide if it can help it. Overall, this was a good showing by Gastrodon even despite a lack of Volcanion on the enemy team.​
DPL X talkingtree vs Yellow Paint: This game, a Volcanion was actually sighted on the enemy team. talkingtree, coincidentally, is also running their Gastrodon with Diancie, a testament to how good the pairing may actually be. Though Diancie does have to fear the Genesect on the opposing team, it does project to do some damage as the rest of Yellow Paint's team is notably weak to its STAB moves.​
Gastrodon itself did good work this game. Gastrodon took an engagement against an Intimidated Conkeldurr and Genesect, even doing good damage to the former as the Rocky Helmet chip compounded the Conkeldurr's Life Orb recoil. A few switching around by Yellow Paint later, their Volcanion willingly comes in on Gastrodon + Conkeldurr—if this was me, alarm bells would be ringing because why would anyone do this, I'd wonder, as I become wary of an HP Grass. Yellow Paint's Volcanion instead elects to use... Overheat (!?) to deal the same kind of chip damage that Steam Eruption would've, could it have been usable. Gastrodon then proceeds to just die to a crit from the enemy Conkeldurr, because lol!, but it did succeed at what it needed to do, which was piss off the Volcanion and make it use moves it didn't want to use, and then some.​

Conclusion

Landorus-Therian. Thundurus-Incarnate. Volcanion. For every coming and going within the XY DOU metagame, these three are at the forefront of it, dictating what's allowed to work and what doesn't as their universal utility and synergies can be genuinely quite oppressive. Gastrodon, while flawed in other ways, has stood out one of the best pure answers to the trio. As it turns out, an Electric-immune, Water-type attack redirecting slug with access to super effective coverage for the trio may be one of the very best silver bullets the format has on offer. Sure, a lot of its viability is quite relative—in a vacuum, its design as a Pokemon is not really that strong. However, the fact that it provides such a convenient answer for the format's very best means that it may have a spot in XY DOU teams for the months to come.

Don't even worry about Energy Ball Mega Gengar, no one really uses that (CLUELESS)

Doesn't seem like one has been made yet so I made a tiermaker for XY. I added every pokemon currently on the vr as well as the two unranked Pokemon that got used so far in DPL (Blastoise, Lando-I).

speaking of which

:landorus: UR -> 3/4 plz

Fast special attacker that can blow up a lot of the tier with Earth Power / Psychic / 3rd move of choice. Speedchecks a majority of the relevant metagame. Ground coverage is pretty rare in this tier and not every team can fit an EQ LandoT easily but Earth Power can be pretty pitiful at times, so Lando-I makes for a great alternative if you need it. Comes at the opportunity cost of not using LandoT which is pretty significant but I think it is particularly a great slot on Kang Deo Spikes, see here.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
As my DPL X season for XY is all but over, I'll be sharing about the techs that I've introduced to our builds and the rationale behind them. I'll be posting my actual teamdump at a later point in time, so fret not, this post is more about some focus to the heat sets I cooked up.

:xy/Aegislash:
SpDef Toxic Aegislash

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

I like Specially Defensive Pokemon in XY. You know that. I know that. They are just integral how the format works, at least for the early weeks in which I brought the set, when the ramifications of CBG and Conkeldurr's rising prominence were yet to be made clear. With Deo-S archetypes and CBG clearly on the up, I figured that Specially Defensive Aegislash could be a really strong answer—it defensively answers Deo-S, Mega Kangaskhan, and Genesect all in one slot while also threatening a massive chunk on the hazard-stacker, and its Wide Guard also means that Earthquake and Heat Wave can't be used to immediately beat it. As a response to rising Deo-S archetypes, it's quite the silver bullet, and Toxic + Wide Guard access also helps a ton in possible Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and P2 match-ups. It had a great showing in my Week 2 game vs talkingtree, where it responded well to everythong on talkingtree's team and could have otherwise won the game by itself, had the Mega Kangaskhan not been Substitute (a surprising yet nevertheless good set which exploits typical Mega Kangaskhan responses, props to talkingtree).

:xy/Salamence-mega:
SpDef Mega Salamence

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 248 HP / 156 SpD / 104 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Double-Edge
- Roost

Indeed, it's yet another Specially Defensive Pokemon. Very original, no? Ever since we did that Free Mence Minitour from way back when, I've always been preaching how Specially Defensive Mega Salamence is the absolute truth. It's just a massive stat-check to the metagame, and it's also already great vs a good number of stuff in the metagame, such as CBG, Landorus-T, Conkeldurr, Volcanion, Bisharp, and Amoonguss. With high Special Defense investment, it can easily just Roost up on stuff and be outright unkillable, capable of winning games outright through how it efficiently puts out damage while being difficult to properly trade into.

Both Hyper Voice and Double-Edge are run because they're really just both good to have; HV is a great general damage tool, while DEdge is great for getting focused damage for lethal hits, and it's particularly getting around the Assault Vest of common users Conkeldurr and Volcanion. Fire Blast has always been great on it because it beats Bisharp (just don't Intimidate it pre-MEvo), and now it's also great for immediately deleting Genesect (0 Atk DEdge does 95 to 0/0- CBG, but Genesect can run HP and Intimidate is also a possibility). Roost is what makes this set shine, because Mega Salamence, with defensive investment on top of great base stats and high Speed, can be really hard to kill. The set spread is basically: step 1) Max HP; step 2) pick a Speed benchmark; and step 3) SpDef dump. I use a bunch different Speeds based on preparation, but the listed set is what I used, which outruns Landorus-I and Mega Kangaskhan.

The overall package of this set was integral to winning my Week 2 game vs talkingtree; being faster than Mega Kangaskhan meant that I could effectively pressure it with Hyper Voice while it was behind a Substitute, its Fire Blast deleted talkingtree's CBG immediately, and it pulled off a Roost that gave it a needed second wind to win the game (which talkingtree seemingly didn't expect, considering I revealed only HV and Fire Blast at the time which possibly put me on TW / Protect last moves).

:xy/Blastoise:
Blastoise

Blastoise @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Torrent
- Follow Me
- Rapid Spin
- Icy Wind
- Toxic

This is definitely the most out-there pick I've brought. I personally already see value in Blastoise as a redirector, espeically as it also handily resists Volcanion's STABs as well as CBG Iron Head, and with physical attacks being more prominent, I personally like that it has a good Defense stat to work with. It also has nice access™ to Rapid Spin, a nifty move to have in this Deo-S world we live in. In retrospect, though, Blastoise was... kinda mid? Like, while having access to redirection is always great and can allow some game-winning lines here and there, it was overall just kinda ehhhh, so-so. Rapid Spin was theoritically good, but Blastoise itself doesn't really find much impact outside clicking FM 95% of the time; it really needs one more impactful move to be something worthwhile. Icy Wind and Toxic I just kinda slapped on there, outside of maybe Roar nothing else really came to mind or were difference-makers. In terms of spread, I used both max Defense and max SpDef in the two games I brought it, so I'd say it's really a matter of feeling it out, really.

:xy/Mew:
The Devil

Mew @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp

This was a set I suggested to Grandmascookin for their game vs Voltix that built itself really quickly. With Mega Gengar essentially gone from the metagame at the time, this set felt relatively safe to use, and the idea was that it could live forever with Roost and the stat reductions from Snarl and Will-O-Wisp burn, while the burn damage, which deals 1/8 of HP this Generation, whittles down anything that matters. It has Flamethrower for Genesect and Bisharp, and this set was also paired with Gastrodon in order to deter any attempts for a Steam Eruption burn. The team this was on also had two Rocky Helmet users to deal with Mega Kangaskhan, a key threat as it dealt massive static damage, getting around how this set aimed to live forever. It's essentially just a port of Demon Mew of SS fame, with Flamethrower being an adaptation for XY's Genesect infestation.

In the game it was used, this Mew set was just simply impossible for Voltix to deal with. It burned all three of Landorus-T, Defiant Thundurus, and PuP Mega Kangaskhan, it had Safety Goggles to ignore Votlix's Amoonguss, and Voltix's Volcanion was not allowed to play the game between Snarl and Storm Drain—just a masterclass from prep and how Mew was overall piloted throughout the game. Apparently, Voltix also didn't expect Softboiled from this set, which makes sense as XY Mew has only really been seen as a utility bot with Fake Out, hazards, and a miscellany of other moves. Perhaps an interesting story is how we got to this set; before this was Safety Goggles, this set was actually... Charcoal, of all things, to secure the OHKO on Genesect, but I beat gma with Amoonguss too many times in test games so we decided that, okay yeah, this has to be Safety Goggles.

:xy/Volcanion:
PhysDef Rocky Helmet Volcanion

Volcanion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Water Absorb
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Earth Power
- Protect

One of the biggest trends within the XY metgame throughout this DPL was the increasing relevance of physical attacks. CBG and Conkeldurr are now much more prominent, while Mega Gengar is just not around as much anymore due to Deo-S comps discouraging any usage. Additionally, Mega Gengar's unpopularity does hurt the value of Assault Vest on Volcanion a bit, becuase that's one less thing that it beats.

This is why I suggested Rocky Helmet Volcanion to gma for their game against laptops, because this was such a great mix-up into the metagame. As Assault Vest was essentially the default set for Volcanion, Fake Out and U-turns on it from the likes of Mega Kangaskhan and CBG were relatively safe clicks on the assumption that the Volcanion couldn't Protect even if it wanted to. Rocky Helmet puts a punishing cost to these default moves with a non-negligible amount of chip damage, especially if it was Mega Kangaskhan attacking. The set I gave gma was pure physically defensive too, because I was like, eh, why not, let's go all out to be fully comfortable into Landorus-T, Conkeldurr, and (Mega) Diancie as well. The set does make Volcanion worse into Thundurus and the mirror, but the match-ups are still relatively neutral anyway, relatively speaking.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)