ORAS OU XTRA CHIRP$

Introduction:

PEOPLE OF SMOGON. I PRESENT TO YOU ONE OF MY MOST SIMPLE, YET EFFECTIVE HO TEAMS I CREATED THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE 6TH GEN.

Abstract:

Team building has always been my passion for this game. In fact I used to build about 10 teams minimum a day. With all this intense team building, this lead to a heavy surplus of untested potential teams. This is the reason why I created the Hella Ho's thread. Instead of having myself to test my own teams, I invited the whole overused community to test out my inventions. I would say the famous saying, "throw it against a wall and see what sticks" would summarize the whole team archive. I'll admit most of the teams there flat suck, but there are a couple of hidden gems in there. One of them being this team. This team single-handedly revolutionized the metagame before the first week of OLT could even finish. I would have never thought to use this team for OLT, until I saw user Empo , one of my strongest advocates for this team, breaking 1900 elo 6 hours after the sign up for OLT was posted. It was until then I knew I had to try out this team. Couple hours fast-forward and I went 40-0 with this team after starting from 5-1. This massive jump gave awareness to other OLT players, and they insisted on using the team. It was until then that nearly the only way out of the ladder was to either a) use my bird spam team, or b) start building against it.

Behind the Wings:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Skill Swap
- Explosion

Why? Why would I pick Azelf out of all the other stealth rockers in the game? The reason I picked Azelf over something like Garchomp was because of it's speed tier. Azelf is an effective stealth rocker for a fast paced team because it prevents defog which offers the most offensive pressure against slow teams. Had I picked Garchomp, then Pokemon such as Latios would have had an easier time to remove my rocks. Also the momentum that this mon provides is pretty insane especially for a hard hitting team such as this one. Skill Swap is needed when you predict the Sableye / Diancie switch-in and humiliate them by setting your rocks.

The EV's listed above allow me to live Jolly Lopunny's Fake Out + Return 100% of the time. This is also why Adamant Lopunny is starting to see more popularity in the meta now.

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 128 HP / 128 Def Azelf: 76-91 (23.5 - 28.1%)
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 128 HP / 128 Def Azelf: 195-231 (60.3 - 71.5%)

(28.1% + 71.5% = 99.6%)

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack / Stone Edge

Why? If someone asked me what my favorite mega was, well lo and behold. Especially after Aegislash was removed from the metagame, Pinsir became stronger than it ever was. Many people don't really prepare for this pokemon. Well, didn't prepare for it, until I had to show everyone the dangers of this guy. Zapdos is on everyteam sure, but this doesn't stop him from breaking holes for other mons. The way I play this guy is simply like a martyr. It's only job is to break holes whether it's for Dragonite (trading with skarm/quagsire) or Talonflame (trading with rotom-w/zapdos). Hyper Cutter does not allow Lando-T to switch in, and if it did, then expect Dragonite to start dancing. Feint was finally put after I found out how many times I could have beat ABR stall was because I didn't have feint vs Weavile. Honestly, Quick Attack compensates for more than Feint, This is my opinion, you can use Feint if you truly believe you need it. Also abuse the fact that it doesn't make contact, and outpaces Talonflame's brave bird.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Why? Excadrill perfectly fits in this team for many reasons. The main reason though, is that it learns rapid spin. However, the it is sort of as the back bone of the team, checking threatening electrics such as Thundurus and Manectric, and outspeeding them. Also nice to have a Lati switch in. Now, why did I pick Adamant over Jolly. The damage difference may seem small to some people, but with enough games one would justify that Adamant is the best nature on this set for THIS team for two reasons. Excadrill in itself has the potential to sweep a team alone if you play your cards right, and with that you need the extra power boost that you can get to ensure those kills. Another reason is, with the sheer amount of priority in this team, it is unnecessary to try and use this to check Mega-Alakazam, as you have other mons to get through it. Adamant nature throws off alot of mons such as suicune and mega-scizor which are already a pain for this team.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

Why? Talonflame completes the whole "bird spam" thing all together, but what really makes it shine in this team is the amount of power it will always guarantee. Also, hands down Talonflame is the best revenge killer any HO team could ask for. I picked steel wing for my last move because people started predicting skill swap on my Azelf lead vs Diancie, so to scare it off and or kill it, Steel Wing is neccessary. Adamant nature is very much needed as it lands the KO's on important mons, such as Latios with U-turn preventing defog, 1HKOs Starmies preventing spin, 2hkos Quagsire and Excadrill with Brave Bird. and more importantly, provides enough damage for the other sweepers in this team. I often find myself trading Talonflame for Landorus-T which is huge for me since when Landorus-T is gone it's usually Excadrill bringing it home with the 'quake.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Why? It took me up until this OLT to figure out what set I want to run on Manaphy. To my conclusions this is the best set and should not be altered. Manaphy is the Pokemon that brings this team together. This set allows it to 2HKO Chansey with Surf at +6, which should not be a problem to most Chanseys since they run no status nowadays, thus why Rain Dance is not needed. Energy Ball ties the team down together, by helping against Rotom-W, Suicune, Mega-Slowbro, and Curse Gastrodon- the biggest threats that come to mind when playing with this team. Max speed is for other Manaphy, speed ties with Adamant Medicham, and also outspeeds Modest Hydreigon.

Dragonite (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Why? Dragonite. The forgotten threat of Gen 5 makes an appearance to the famous bird spam. Dragonite holds the team together, whether it's stretching out the holes that his bird brothers created, or having the ability to have great synergy with the team. Dragonite does it all. After testing with items throughout the journey. It is to my conclusion that Weakness Policy is not a suggested item, but rather, it is RECOMMENDED. Landorus will try to stone-edge you. Clefable will try to Moonblast you. Do not take the humiliation. use it to your advantage. This thing will save your ass so many times and has the potential to turn around a 6-1 to his own advantage. Here is a replay revealing why it is necessary to have this item. This battle was also the first time this team had exposure, back in OST 9 vs KratosMana for game 2. After that game, I completely forgot about this team and dumped it into my team archive, where it was finally recovered thanks to Empo and others who had great success with it.

Conclusion:

There you have it. The famous bird spam team that revolutionized the meta within a week. I'd like to point out the issue of match-ups as I got a lot of people questioning how I did so well with this team due to the common misconception of how this team has bad "match up" vs everything. I'd like to say that skill is the biggest key to this team. You wont go 40-0 with this team alone. In fact this team can outplay any match up it wanted to granted you are playing better than your opponent. I won match ups when I was fighting Scarf Tyranitar / Rotom-W / and Skarmory all in one team. As long as you have a game plan, this team will give you the best output. My suggestion is to prioritize a sweeper and use the rest of your team to poke holes to allow the sweeper to have it's breathing space it needs to take down a team. Like I said, even Excadrill can be your win-con sometimes. Do not count out any Pokemon to sweep. (except for Azelf of course)

*Although this team is finalized, I will gladly accept all suggestions and criticisms towards the team. If you feel the need that something could be changed, let me hear your opinions.

** Good Luck vs this new Zapdos-infested metagame. It was fun while it lasted. My suggestion is to try out random sets, maybe find a way to add Stone Edge on Pinsir to further mess with the meta.

*** Finally an Alternate proposal to this team to beat more stall influenced teams is to drop Energy Ball on Manaphy, and add Rain Dance, and since Energy Ball gets dropped from Manaphy then Dragonite needs Lum Berry and Outrage to help deal with bulky waters better.

Importable:
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Skill Swap
- Explosion

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Dragonite (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Last edited:

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
put tailwind>steel wing on talon, it helps you more vs sands (exca + ttar)

how many times did i say you that xtra ;____;

by the way

I prefer Lum on nite, but I can also say weakness policy is not a waste of item. that's pretty good since there are mons like clef, lando, also fairy mons, which dnite can wall due to its ability then rkill at +3 (dance + wp).

I'd suggest quick attack over feint. that's why you can hit more mons and you have a better stab... i tried feint but you dont need it a lot as you need quick attack.

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Yeah for me "empo" means "Azelf birdspam". It is actually one of the best teams ever built in gen6 with the shedinja stall of Branflakes and the Skarmblob stall archetype. HO isn't viable anymore excepted your birdspam team (some teams like scolipede and gardevoir HO also work but not with such WinLoss ratio). Each battle vs this team can end on a defeat, as long as you don't have scarf Magnezone and a safe Dragonite answer.
Congratulations, or not, because now ladder is infested with birdspam (when it's not shedinja).

"Metagame revolution": these two words aren't enough

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Quick attack, lum berry on drago are better. We all have been dealing with empoleonlove for so many months that I stopped counting and the lum can turn mons like weakened clefable into set up bait, same with rotom etc... We all in the ladder have replays showing hundred battles (vs empo) where you will see the effectiveness of Lum berry, same with quick attack (or feint, not stone edge because azelf and the team do not enable zapdos to roost damage from rocks).

I hope I helped !

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey xtra, great team. I wanted to bring up a few points though that might allow me to better understand the team and also look for slight improvement.

On Azelf, i'm wondering if you ever tried colbur berry? Koiro. once made a post about it and I thought it was a neat idea to help vs sab matchups. With the bulk on azelf as well as a colbur, azelf is is rarely ohko'd by anything faster than it, although without sash it may not get as many opportunities to fire off an explosion to soften something.

For Pinsir, has the power difference between feint and QA lost you a game? QA is a lot stronger especially at +2 (like for killing latios after rocks) but feint has some useful properties, so I was wondering what you thought about the issue since you have much more experience with the team and pinsir.

On Talonflame, i'm wondering if adamant is so necessary. Jolly giving you the jump on kou, weavile shard, and other talon seems very useful, and while you did mention adamant allowing talon to ko latios with uturn, I was wondering if there were any other major situations that justify ada talon.

Finally for DNite, i'm wondering how your experience has been with lum outrage instead of wp dclaw. I normally am an advocate for dclaw nite as I hate getting locked in, but when I played this team, I found the power of outrage to be very useful, with lum berry also giving me some security in set-up (although most players assume you are lum and will volt with their rotom, for example). Also I was wondering if the team can afford jolly nite, since outrunning lop and manec after a DD can be very valuable if they aren't in espeed range.

Cool team, and grats on your success with influencing the ladder meta so much with it.

Hey xtra, great team. I wanted to bring up a few points though that might allow me to better understand the team and also look for slight improvement.

On Azelf, i'm wondering if you ever tried colbur berry? Koiro. once made a post about it and I thought it was a neat idea to help vs sab matchups. With the bulk on azelf as well as a colbur, azelf is is rarely ohko'd by anything faster than it, although without sash it may not get as many opportunities to fire off an explosion to soften something.

For Pinsir, has the power difference between feint and QA lost you a game? QA is a lot stronger especially at +2 (like for killing latios after rocks) but feint has some useful properties, so I was wondering what you thought about the issue since you have much more experience with the team and pinsir.

On Talonflame, i'm wondering if adamant is so necessary. Jolly giving you the jump on kou, weavile shard, and other talon seems very useful, and while you did mention adamant allowing talon to ko latios with uturn, I was wondering if there were any other major situations that justify ada talon.

Finally for DNite, i'm wondering how your experience has been with lum outrage instead of wp dclaw. I normally am an advocate for dclaw nite as I hate getting locked in, but when I played this team, I found the power of outrage to be very useful, with lum berry also giving me some security in set-up (although most players assume you are lum and will volt with their rotom, for example). Also I was wondering if the team can afford jolly nite, since outrunning lop and manec after a DD can be very valuable if they aren't in espeed range.

Cool team, and grats on your success with influencing the ladder meta so much with it.
One shoud never lead Azelf when they see a Diancie or Sableye in team preview. The key is to have them mega or force them out turn one, so you can come in on a double and predict their switch in as you skill swap. This is why colbur is not needed, and could perhaps be a downfall if you misplay wrong.

Pinsir and Talon: Why I have feint on pinsir is so I don't have to run jolly on talon. Adamant talon is not something I want to give up. The little difference in damage may mean worthless to some people, but in terms of spamming brave bird, you are missing out on an average of 6% of damage for every brave bird that you clicked. Also, the fact that Adamant talon can 2hko threats such as Excadrill is enough for me to keep the nature, since it can not switch in safely vs talon.

Dnite: Lum Dnite works best with RD manaphy imo, since it helps with bulky waters. Dnite is more of a last resort pokemon, and with weakness policy I can afford to run adamant to KO things such as manectric or lopunny without needing to outseed (with espeed). With WP you can turn around a losing game vs lando/manec where as Lum cant do anything to the combo.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
I think i remember this one team with a Hidden Steel Azelf to deal with Diancie. You may want to consider that seeing that Mega Diancie does a lot against this team.

Pretty cool squad though! I had some fun with this on ladder =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)