SV UU Would love feedback and would also love general tips for team building

https://pokepast.es/84107c06f97458c6

The idea is to ideally set up electric terrain with Thundurus and rain with politoed. So that I can switch out into Iron Jugulis and get the Quark drive boost and 100% accuracy with Hurricane.

I have Gyrados for STAB Scald with dragon dance as setup + ice beam and hurricane for general coverage. My thought process though also included Cyclizard because i could bring out cyclizar and then use Shed tail to give Gyrados a substitute to set up with. Cyclizar is also my general pivot with U-turn and also a taunter to prevent spores, trick rooms and other hazards/control like that.

Iron Jugulis is my sweeper with choice specs and ideally will get the boost off of a electric terrain giving it a little more oomph and power. It's paired with Politoed because i put hurricane on it and I'm considering swapping Dark Pulse for Knock off for utility but im still on the fence. Terra type is Steel but im thinking it should be something else like Flying or just have it been Terra Dark.

Politoed is just a stereotypical special bulky support pokemon with Drizzle, Chilling water and liquidation to assist in lowering stats. Protect because what i've learned from reading some Smogon forums having a pokemon with protect is usually i good idea and i think that Politoed is a good mon to have it on.

Then I have Brute Bonnet as a spore + Rage Powder + Sucker punch user as a good general utility mon. Most of my teams feature Amoongus (in OU) or have a Brute Bonnet/ some kind of spore and utility user. Ex: Breloom. Making teams around Terrain and weather have been my strong suits because i like the extra power that comes with STAB moves + Rain and i generally think it's a much more simple way of building teams.

Any feedback and recommendations would be perfect and greatly appreciated.

Hi. Shed tail is not allowed in UU, which is the first problem. Secondly, all of these sets are not viable. I recommend doing /analysis (pokemon here) in a chatroom on Pokemon Showdown whenever you want to see what some viable options for sets/EV spreads/abilities/moves are. But I will explain why these sets are not viable, starting with the most obvious ones. Cyclizar does not take advantage of having a choice band, since it has three support moves (one that you can not use). Cyclizar is best used as a support mon, and when you use a support pokemon like it, you do not want to use a choice locking item on it. An item like boots ore assault vest is preferred, so that you can switch up your moves. Running taunt on a choice specs Iron Jugulis is not a good idea either. Taunt is better on a booster energy, boots, or even a life orb variant of Jugulis. Flamethrower is not a good coverage move on rain either. Special Gyarados is not good, since it has 60 special attack. Neither is running a special set with a move that boosts your physical attack. Physical DD is better, and we would run Waterfall and Tera Blast Flying, since only one pokemon (Empoleon) can wall that combination of moves. With Brute Bonnet, Rage Powder does not have a use in singles. The rest of the set is not bad though. Politoed has Ice Beam, so running Tera Blast Ice is not needed. Running both Liquidation and Chilling Water is not good either. Also, running Damp Rock over leftovers is preferred to give you as many rain turns as possible. We can replace one of the water type moves with encore, to make Politoed less prone to setup. Thundurus is a bit less obvious as to why it is not a good set here. Terrain Extender+Electrain Terrain+Prankster is not a bad idea. However, anything that would want to take advantage of Terrain, such as Jugulis, would want pivot support to help it get into the field. Hard switching into your sweepers is not preferred, since you want to bring them in as safely as possible. For that reason, Volt Switch would be better than Thunderbolt here. I am skeptical of the viability of a mono attacking Thundurus, but we can leave the rest of the set like this for now. If we were to change the sets to something more viable, we would be looking at something like this https://pokepast.es/fc5083dcfbc62717 . I also changed some other moves, teras, and spreads. I replaced flamethrower with u-turn on Jugulis, but Hydro Pump could also be an option since we have rain. I gave Gyarados a plus speed nature since he usually prefers the extra speed than he does the extra attack to sweep. I put close combat on Brute Bonnet since it hits Hydreigon, Meowscarada, and Goodra-Hisui. I removed Protect on Politoed since we dropped Leftovers for Damp Rock, and won't be needing it for extra Leftovers recovery.

I have not read the descriptions for the team but now I will go into them to understand what each team member is for. The biggest problem here is that you are using a lot of turns of setup, setting up electric terrain and getting rain up, all for a stronger and more accurate hurricane. That is not worth all the setup you are doing here. Not only that, but you lack the proper pivoting to make this all happen with Jugulis. Also, Jugulis is the only pokemon here that takes advantage of both rain and electric terrain. While rain is a viable archetype, it needs swift swim sweepers, good pivots, and maybe a strong Hurricane abuser to win. When you lack swift swim sweeper(s), Politoed becomes a near wasted slot. If you wanted to use rain, then having a Swift Swim sweeper would be necessary. Not to mention Pelipper is better than Polited as an auto rain setter, since it has recovery (Roost) and pivoting (U-Turn). Cyclizar is not a bad idea on an offensive team using either electric terrain or rain, since it has Regenerator+U-Turn+Rapid Spin to support the team well as well as safely bring in your sweepers. I see you thought of knock off on Jugulis. It could be an option for your last slot after Hurricane/Dark Pulse/Earth Power. You definitely want Dark Pulse though. Tera Steel and Flying are both fine options, Ground is another one you could consider. We can change Politoed to Pelipper here, I will make it a standard set. Having Spore on a team is a reasonable idea, but Brute Bonnet is mostly viable on sun teams. Brute does not have a use for the team that I can think of, so I will just delete it. We can replace it with a rock setter, and I will replace it with Air Ballon Iron Treads with rocks three attacks. I was thinking of Volt Switch at first, but we have three pivot mons now that we added Volt Switch on Thundurus and replaced Politoed with Pelipper. Treads is also cool since it takes advantage of Electric Terrain. I will make the Gyarados a Barraskewda since a rain team is not a rain team without a Swift Swim sweeper. Barraskewda is not the only option we could go with, but it felt like a good one since we wanted a physical sweeper like Gyarados. This is what the team looks like now https://pokepast.es/5c883596bc7dad07. BTW Tera Fairy Cyclizar is there for a bit of Regidrago counterplay. This team is still insane and I do believe using both Electric Terrain and Swift Swim is doing too much, but this is quite the improvement from where we began. I will come back to this later, I have to go right now.

Tried testing this team. Electric Terrain and Rain is definitely too much setup to be as effective as possible. I did make an edit to the team where I replaced Cyclizar with Healing Wish+rocks Jirachi for a pivot as well as hazards. I put spin on Treads over rocks. Here is the final edit I made https://pokepast.es/cc6681141d2c8ba8 . If you want to abuse a strong and accurate Hurricane, just use Tornadus, or even Jugulis if you want to. But Electric Terrain is not worth it.

Hi. Shed tail is not allowed in UU, which is the first problem. Secondly, all of these sets are not viable. I recommend doing /analysis (pokemon here) in a chatroom on Pokemon Showdown whenever you want to see what some viable options for sets/EV spreads/abilities/moves are. But I will explain why these sets are not viable, starting with the most obvious ones. Cyclizar does not take advantage of having a choice band, since it has three support moves (one that you can not use). Cyclizar is best used as a support mon, and when you use a support pokemon like it, you do not want to use a choice locking item on it. An item like boots ore assault vest is preferred, so that you can switch up your moves. Running taunt on a choice specs Iron Jugulis is not a good idea either. Taunt is better on a booster energy, boots, or even a life orb variant of Jugulis. Flamethrower is not a good coverage move on rain either. Special Gyarados is not good, since it has 60 special attack. Neither is running a special set with a move that boosts your physical attack. Physical DD is better, and we would run Waterfall and Tera Blast Flying, since only one pokemon (Empoleon) can wall that combination of moves. With Brute Bonnet, Rage Powder does not have a use in singles. The rest of the set is not bad though. Politoed has Ice Beam, so running Tera Blast Ice is not needed. Running both Liquidation and Chilling Water is not good either. Also, running Damp Rock over leftovers is preferred to give you as many rain turns as possible. We can replace one of the water type moves with encore, to make Politoed less prone to setup. Thundurus is a bit less obvious as to why it is not a good set here. Terrain Extender+Electrain Terrain+Prankster is not a bad idea. However, anything that would want to take advantage of Terrain, such as Jugulis, would want pivot support to help it get into the field. Hard switching into your sweepers is not preferred, since you want to bring them in as safely as possible. For that reason, Volt Switch would be better than Thunderbolt here. I am skeptical of the viability of a mono attacking Thundurus, but we can leave the rest of the set like this for now. If we were to change the sets to something more viable, we would be looking at something like this https://pokepast.es/fc5083dcfbc62717 . I also changed some other moves, teras, and spreads. I replaced flamethrower with u-turn on Jugulis, but Hydro Pump could also be an option since we have rain. I gave Gyarados a plus speed nature since he usually prefers the extra speed than he does the extra attack to sweep. I put close combat on Brute Bonnet since it hits Hydreigon, Meowscarada, and Goodra-Hisui. I removed Protect on Politoed since we dropped Leftovers for Damp Rock, and won't be needing it for extra Leftovers recovery.

I have not read the descriptions for the team but now I will go into them to understand what each team member is for. The biggest problem here is that you are using a lot of turns of setup, setting up electric terrain and getting rain up, all for a stronger and more accurate hurricane. That is not worth all the setup you are doing here. Not only that, but you lack the proper pivoting to make this all happen with Jugulis. Also, Jugulis is the only pokemon here that takes advantage of both rain and electric terrain. While rain is a viable archetype, it needs swift swim sweepers, good pivots, and maybe a strong Hurricane abuser to win. When you lack swift swim sweeper(s), Politoed becomes a near wasted slot. If you wanted to use rain, then having a Swift Swim sweeper would be necessary. Not to mention Pelipper is better than Polited as an auto rain setter, since it has recovery (Roost) and pivoting (U-Turn). Cyclizar is not a bad idea on an offensive team using either electric terrain or rain, since it has Regenerator+U-Turn+Rapid Spin to support the team well as well as safely bring in your sweepers. I see you thought of knock off on Jugulis. It could be an option for your last slot after Hurricane/Dark Pulse/Earth Power. You definitely want Dark Pulse though. Tera Steel and Flying are both fine options, Ground is another one you could consider. We can change Politoed to Pelipper here, I will make it a standard set. Having Spore on a team is a reasonable idea, but Brute Bonnet is mostly viable on sun teams. Brute does not have a use for the team that I can think of, so I will just delete it. We can replace it with a rock setter, and I will replace it with Air Ballon Iron Treads with rocks three attacks. I was thinking of Volt Switch at first, but we have three pivot mons now that we added Volt Switch on Thundurus and replaced Politoed with Pelipper. Treads is also cool since it takes advantage of Electric Terrain. I will make the Gyarados a Barraskewda since a rain team is not a rain team without a Swift Swim sweeper. Barraskewda is not the only option we could go with, but it felt like a good one since we wanted a physical sweeper like Gyarados. This is what the team looks like now https://pokepast.es/5c883596bc7dad07. BTW Tera Fairy Cyclizar is there for a bit of Regidrago counterplay. This team is still insane and I do believe using both Electric Terrain and Swift Swim is doing too much, but this is quite the improvement from where we began. I will come back to this later, I have to go right now.
Thank you so much. Honestly I didn't know she'd tail wasn't viable in UU so thats really good to know. And thank you so much for your very in depth response. I'm very new to team building for Scarlet and Violet cause I've not played any Pokemon games since Sun and Moon. You're absolutely right I tried to do too much with my team and I just didn't want to use a booster energy on jugulis cause I thought it wasted an item so I thought electric terrain would give the boost while also having choice specs for an added boost. I really wanted to make a team centered around Jugulis because Hydreigon is one of my favorite mons and this analysis does shed light on how I can generally make a team better.

Yea, no problem. Jugulis could still fit on a rain team for those accurate Hurricanes. Most would prefer Tornadus-Therian since it has more longevity and more speed. Jugulis might be good on an Electric Terrain team on its own, and that is an underexplored archetype. The reason it is underexplored is the fact that the only auto Electric Terrain setter Pincurchin does not have good stats and no momentum moves outside of Memento. It may be more optimal to use one or two better pokemon like Thundurus-I to set it manually.

I did not explain the last change I made to the team. I wanted a pokemon with access to rocks so that Treads could run spin, a pivot move, and a way to handle mons like Okidogi, Iron Hands, and Ninetails. I thought of this Jirachi, a physical Jirachi with Iron Head and Encore (for the setup Okidogi and Hands), and a Mew with rocks Night Shade Wisp and U-Turn. I decided on this Jirachi since I preferred Healing Wish on a team like this. I started with the physical variant but switched to the current special variant since Rotom-Wash was annoying. I say this just to give you a better idea of how I go about making a team so that you can use these methods as well as the ones I mentioned above to help with building/editing a team on your own.

I don't think this team is far off from being a viable team. It has good synergies, and we can start by replacing terrain setter Thundurus-I with something that better fits rain. I think Overqwil could be a good pokemon to replace it with. I found that Mandibuzz and Umbreon were extremely annoying with their Foul Play+Toxic combo, and Overqwil could be a good answer for that.

You could also opt for a Terrain team, keep Thundurus-I Jug and Treads and completely rebuild. I think Grass Knot would be a good move somewhere on that Thundurus-I set. I found myself wanting ground coverage while testing this.

Yea, no problem. Jugulis could still fit on a rain team for those accurate Hurricanes. Most would prefer Tornadus-Therian since it has more longevity and more speed. Jugulis might be good on an Electric Terrain team on its own, and that is an underexplored archetype. The reason it is underexplored is the fact that the only auto Electric Terrain setter Pincurchin does not have good stats and no momentum moves outside of Memento. It may be more optimal to use one or two better pokemon like Thundurus-I to set it manually.

I did not explain the last change I made to the team. I wanted a pokemon with access to rocks so that Treads could run spin, a pivot move, and a way to handle mons like Okidogi, Iron Hands, and Ninetails. I thought of this Jirachi, a physical Jirachi with Iron Head and Encore (for the setup Okidogi and Hands), and a Mew with rocks Night Shade Wisp and U-Turn. I decided on this Jirachi since I preferred Healing Wish on a team like this. I started with the physical variant but switched to the current special variant since Rotom-Wash was annoying. I say this just to give you a better idea of how I go about making a team so that you can use these methods as well as the ones I mentioned above to help with building/editing a team on your own.

I don't think this team is far off from being a viable team. It has good synergies, and we can start by replacing terrain setter Thundurus-I with something that better fits rain. I think Overqwil could be a good pokemon to replace it with. I found that Mandibuzz and Umbreon were extremely annoying with their Foul Play+Toxic combo, and Overqwil could be a good answer for that.

You could also opt for a Terrain team, keep Thundurus-I Jug and Treads and completely rebuild. I think Grass Knot would be a good move somewhere on that Thundurus-I set. I found myself wanting ground coverage while testing this.
I thought about using Pinchurin as a terrain setter instead of thudurus but the stats and as mentioned: The mid moveset. I thought that this team could originally work as a standalone terrain team which i think could be fun and a little unique. I have worked quite a lot with Rain teams because they are so simple and easy to use. So i think i will look into terrain teams since it's a lot less explored and seems really fun to try. I think that terrain team would do better in Singles rather than Doubles. My original idea, and i shouldve mentioned this, is that the team was meant for doubles. But i don't think that it justifies using both Rain and Electric terrain. I tried editing it while keeping Electric+Rain and it honestly did feel really slow and the snow ball effect i was going for doesn't really justify itself when im down 2 mons. A terrain team i think would challenge me to think outside the box.
However, for future references did the team that i had made before have a lot of synergy? I am trying to find a balance between Iron mons and Paradox mons and then leaving normal mons as a last resort. I really appreciate the time you've taken to be thorough. I don't have S/V on console so i play pretty much exclusively on Showdown with the occasional visit to Ultra Sun and Moon. Thinking about trying to use Haxorus or maybe Salamance would be good im not sure yet. But i don't know the meta mons and a lot of the forums are out of date so the parts on your review and response on your thought process and taking into account certain mons was really useful

Yea, analyses have been underdone since sword and shield. I believe this is due to how not every mon is available from the start. This means that the meta constantly changes, making people want to wait to work on analyses instead of making them earlier on in the generation. The team had some synergies, Cyclizar can provide utility for any team, and pivot which is very important for Hyper Offense, which is what playstyles like rain should be. Bonnet did not have much synergy since it does not benefit from rain or provide pivoting. It has utility in Spore, but that is not enough. When Amoonguss was UU, it was used in rain with an Eject Button to act as a pivot. Having Regenerator alongside Eject Button, as well as handling water types is what made it useful. While Brute is a grass type and can handle water types to an extent, it does not want to take a wisp from Rotom-Wash, and it does not have the longevity that Amoonguss does with Regenerator. Gyarados has some use on rain since its water stab is boosted, but a swift swim sweeper would be preferred over it. Of course, a rain setter like Politoed has synergy on rain since an auto rain setter is required. Salamence and Haxorus could have synergy on a Hyper Offense build such as Electric Terrain, but they aren't the first pokemon that would go on the team. You would add something like Haxorus to break through Unaware walls with Mold Breaker, and you would use Salamence for a Dragon Dance sweeper that fits well with your current sweepers and has defensive synergy with the team. Haxorus would be the more offensive option, but Salamence can help a team out versus physical threats with its bulk and Intimidate, which it can use to revenge kill your opponent's win condition by surviving its hits better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)