Tournament World Cup of OMs - Finals [Won by Northeast]

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
unknown.png

art by h_n_g_m_n

How this works
There are 10 teams this year. Each team will have have 6 starters and 2 subs. The players are picked by the managers, who have access to any players eligible for their region. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.

The tier lineup this year is as follows:
  1. Bo3 USUM Anything Goes
  2. USUM Balanced Hackmons
  3. USUM Mix and Mega
  4. Bo5 USUM 1v1
  5. USUM Almost Any Ability
  6. USUM STABmons
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. Apart from where it is explicitly mentioned (1 and 4 above), the result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.

The 10 teams will be divided up into 2 regions of 5 teams each. Each team will play every other team in that region in a format similar to that of the group stages of Smogon Snake Draft, after which the two teams with the most points from each region will advance to semifinals. Week 5 will be a playoff round between the first and second placed teams from opposite regions, with the winners moving on to the week 6 finale. Note that this schedule is subject to tiebreakers (explained below). All standard Smogon tournament rules and procedures apply.

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).

Tiebreaker Rules: The most played meta from usage stats (Anything Goes) plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto finals.

Rules on Substitutes:
Substitutes are allowed during the group stages, and a player getting subbed in has to play all the remaining opponents of the player he is replacing. A player that has been subbed out during a phase may not be subbed into any other slot. Multiple substitutions may occur in the same slot. For playoffs, substitutes will function as normal.

Substitutions will be not be allowed in tiebreak series unless the hosts mandate it. However, since we prioritise games being played, we will consider extension requests so long as they're reasonable. We will also be reluctant to give activity wins to those who are clearly fishing for them.

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on VM walls, plain and simple:
  • If there is no communication on VM walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: VM your opponents, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you're not reliable, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.

Use these VM's to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well!

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to World Cup of OMs will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the WCoOMs host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.

All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S VM WALL); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for WCoOMs with) to avoid confusion and the replay must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent(s), and myself. This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.

After puzzling through a completely new format, fighting in confusing group stages, persevering past tiebreaks and dominating their respective semifinals, our final two teams are here to fight for the championship.​

FINALS
northeast.png
vs
west.png

Team US Northeast (4) vs Team US West (2)

USUM Anything Goes (Bo3): Paycard vs GarbodorIsHot
USUM Mix and Mega: Andyboy vs Eien
USUM Balanced Hackmons: morogrim vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)
USUM 1v1 (Bo5): TDA vs dom
USUM Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes
USUM STABmons: Betathunder vs Kris
The deadline is Sunday December 9. It's been a pleasure hosting, see you guys in Ultimate

Last edited:

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
USUM Anything Goes (Bo3): Paycard vs GarbodorIsHot - Paycard's never failed to impress me in this tour, and he's definitely one of the best AG players here. Skarph's been really impressive as well, this'll be a nailbiter. Still think Paycard has this, but it'll be close af.
USUM Mix and Mega: Andyboy vs Eien - I've been really impressed with Eien's playing and prep, and to top it all off he's beaten Andy before. I see him winning this 70:30 I guess?
USUM Balanced Hackmons: morogrim vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) - moro's track record vs this guy isn't so great lol but I still think he has a decent shot, imo thisll come down to who outpreps and who plays best
USUM 1v1 (Bo5): TDA vs dom - i flipped a coin
USUM Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes - rozes is sick, sab is sick too, im looking forward to watching this game. gut says rozes but both are fire
USUM STABmons: Betathunder vs Kris - Super close game, looking forward to it. Kris really surprised me w his playing vs beta in phase 1

Tiebreaker
USUM Anything Goes (Bo3): Paycard vs GarbodorIsHot
USUM Mix and Mega: Andyboy vs Eien // USUM Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes (though this one is a lot more close imo)
USUM STABmons: Betathunder vs rozes/Kris

Team US Northeast (0) vs Team US West (0)

USUM Anything Goes (Bo3): Paycard vs GarbodorIsHot idk man
USUM Mix and Mega: Andyboy vs Eien no idea
USUM Balanced Hackmons: morogrim vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) oh hey somebody i know
USUM 1v1 (Bo5): TDA vs dom isnt this 100% matchup and 0% skill
USUM Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes couldnt tell you
USUM STABmons: Betathunder vs Kris can go either way

BH Prediction:
morogrim vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)
(49:51)

This would be a very interesting game, as both players are regarded top BH players and sort of share a trait of bringing wild things even on big stage. Morogrim had played longer but SL42 has proven himself this year as well. While both had some bad games when trying too hard for innovation and deviated from victory (e.g. OMPL Final 2017 moro vs Flint, and many other games SL42 brings unranked mons to tours like OMPL vs QT) they also had their peak games where the innovation/wild things end up successful. Another piece of similarity is that moro lost OMPL Final 2017 and SL42 lost OMPL Final in 2018, and since they both didn't choke much (nor did huge outplay) in those games, I cannot give either one of them an edge in terms of performance under the highest pressure.

Recall morogrim had a 0-3 nightmare for the first 3 weeks of OMPL this year, and SL42 was one of the contirbutors to this rough start. Although that game had luck involved, and more and more BH games this tour had a bit more luck than we would want and ends up being lame, so the game is likely to be decided by how the wild things work out to be (who brings the actually effective wildcards) and their luck of the day. GL to both!

Slightly favoring SL42 here as I said this is the up-and-coming competitor that would take over eventually when veterans stop trying as hard.

Last edited:

dom

Banned deucer.
USUM Anything Goes (Bo3): Paycard vs skarph too gud
USUM Mix and Mega: Andyboy vs Eien Sry Andy Eien always wins
USUM Balanced Hackmons: morogrim vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) idk much about BH, but this dude’s better
USUM 1v1 (Bo5): TDA vs dom TDA too gud bruh
USUM Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes no damned clue
USUM STABmons: Betathunder vs Kris Thunder’s Beta (see what I did there?)
good to know paycard, andy, moro, and kris are gonna win!
playing tda friday 4pm -8 in your least favorite MATCHUP meta!

morogrim vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)- sl42 always brings the heat, but Moro was one of the best BH players out there, and arguably still is. He’s fallen off a bit while 2018 is sl’s year, which is why I went with him, but it’s gonna be a great match

WEST BEST EAST LEAST

2018 and we’re predicting against Moro

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
USUM Anything Goes (Bo3): Paycard vs GarbodorIsHot-idk much about these players but if i had to guess, id say Sunday
USUM Mix and Mega: Andyboy vs Eien-definitely playing on Sunday andy is a huge john
USUM Balanced Hackmons: morogrim vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)-mmmmm this is a tough one, seen a lot of predicts on this already but I'd probably have to say Sunday
USUM 1v1 (Bo5): TDA vs dom-who cares it's 1v1
USUM Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes-again not two players i really know so might give them the a chance and say Saturday... nah jk they'll play Sunday
USUM STABmons: Betathunder vs Kris-this one was a pretty obvious choice they're gonna play Sunday for sure
so yeah see you guys Sunday December 9

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)