• Sleep Talk
  • Snarl
  • Stun Spore
  • Substitute
  • Taunt
New ability:
Tablets of Ruin: The attack stat of the other active Pokemon is reduced by 25%

New Move:
Ruination: Dark type. 90% Acc. 16 PP. Deals half the damage to the target's current HP (It's a Dark type Nature's Madness).

Pros:
  • Incredibly solid defensive stats. 85/100/135 combined with an ability that reduces damage done by physical attackers makes this Pokemon an amazing defensive mixed wall. Super hard to take down by sheer damage.
  • Access to Leech Seed + Ruination and Knock Off makes it not passive and hard to play around as this combination + Leftovers would make Wo-Chien heal while hindering opposing teams by taking out items or dealing 50% with Ruination.
  • Typing is currently very useful in the meta, its a great check to prominent Psychic and Ghost types while also taking on Rain teams, moreover, its good on rain teams itself to sit on potential annoying pokemon like Rotom-Wash
Cons:
  • It has a very narrowed movepool, you are must likely going to be using Leech Seed + some combination of STAB moves and status. Thus, making its role rather predictable.
  • Even though it has a good typing for the meta, being Grass/Dark makes it vulnerable to a plethora of common types and coverage moves. Such as Fairy, Fire, Flying, Ice, Poison, Fighting and a 4x weakness to Bug which is huge against U-turn. So it needs good partners to cover its weaknesses.
  • Not easy to fit on all teams. Wo-Chien would find its place in bulkier styles like Stall or Balance, or as a defensive blanket in Rain teams. Otherwise, its not a suitable Pokemon to just slap on a team, and it needs skill and metagame knowledge to perform well.
Terastalizing Potential:
You are most likely not going to waste your terastallize on Wo-Chien as it would not be a game changing situation for it to change its type for its defensive purpose. Nevertheless, I suggest to have either tera
or
. Both giving a panic button against a strong U-turn. The former gives it resistances to Flying, Poison and Ice while the latter gives it a resistance to Fighting. And both typings are one of the best defensively.

Potential Sets:
Mixed Wall
Wo-Chien @ Leftovers
Ability: Tablets of Ruin
Tera Type: Fairy / Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed / Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Ruination
- Protect / Giga Drain / Taunt / Body Press

Wo-Chien's main role is to be a defensive wall, and it can perform it nicely in both sides, thanks to Tablets of Ruin and its natural good rounded bulk. Therefore, Wo-Chien set is customizable to your team needs. Knock Off is great as its one of the few and reliable Knock off users to remove opposing items, Ruination can make holes in the opposing team for an offensive answer to deal with them later. Leech Seed in combination with Protect makes it a nuisance for the opponent, as you can hinder them while recovering HP quite fast thanks to it. Other options I include are Giga Drain as STAB move, better against Water-types while also gaining HP. Taunt to stop Status, mainly opposing Taunt and Toxic, and Body Press is a cool offensive option against opposing Dark-Types.

Av Wall
Wo-Chien @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Ruination
- Giga Drain
- Body Press

Same concept as before just that this set maximizes Wo-Chien SpD with Assault Vest, it can act as a Mixed wall while firing off Knock and Ruination and still perform well. Just that forgetting on Leech Seed is hard to get used to. But its an alternative in can be played with.

Fast Taunt
Wo-Chien @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- Ruination
- Protect / Substitute

This set acts more of a Stallbreaker, Wo-Chien is quite fast for the defenses it has in base 70 speed, meaning you can get around with a Nascar Wo-Chien which centers on Leech Seeding and Taunt to take on opposing walls such as Hippowdon, Defensive Rotom-Wash, Alomomola, Donphan, Blissey and such. Shutting down opposing walls with Taunt can be an excellent way of passing through this big tanky Pokemon.

Other options:
  • A RestTalk set can be used, but it will take on 2 slots from Wo-Chien's already tidy movepool to perform. Though, it can work as well.
  • Snarl and Foul Play are cool tools but they get outclassed by the utility provided by Knock Off and Ruination in my opinion.
  • A Mean Look trapper set can work too as a stallbreaker but I found the Taunt set to be more consistent.

What do you think of Wo-Chien in the meta? Feel free to leave comments and suggestions! ^^

Last edited:
I think Wo-Chien is really neat, but there's also a lot of teams that just completely lose momentum it switches in due to a lack of pivoting move, detrimental status beyond Leech Seed (PoisonPowder certainly is an option of all time) and its best STAB options being Knock Off (fine against most things but resists will make you cry) and Leaf Storm (click it once and now your opponent gets free setup). Lack of proper recovery beyond Leech Seed and Giga Drain also hurts it as a wall, especially as it has to switch into Hydreigon, Gengar, Electrics and Darks, and can't check many of the popular waters since they either carry Close Combat (Skewda) or have Fairy coverage on the switchin/they might speed creep you (Azumarill).

I think Tera Poison, in spite of how wack it is to say, might be an okay defensive Tera type on it. You resist Close Combat/Focus Blast, Mach Punch, U-Turn, First Impression, Moonblast and Play Rough, become a toxic spikes absorber, and are immune to Toxic yourself. The new weaknesses you get suck major ass, but it especially means that Gengar is now completely afraid of you and can't click any common move on it barring Trick. You also get to bait Fighting STAB from scarf Gallade and Knock Off with impunity! then die immediately after but still

It's either really good and I have no idea what I'm doing with it or it's just okay. Either or.

How does Foul Play work on this thing in conjunction with Tablets of Ruin? I know Foul Play accounts for stat changes on both sides and Attack modifiers only on the user's end (e.g. Choice Band/Huge Power) when calculating damage... Does it use the target's original Attack stat or its modified Attack stat against it after Tabs reductions are applied?

I guess I'm wondering whether there's any merit to using Foul Play as a stop-gap to some physical set up sweepers.

How does Foul Play work on this thing in conjunction with Tablets of Ruin? I know Foul Play accounts for stat changes on both sides and Attack modifiers only on the user's end (e.g. Choice Band/Huge Power) when calculating damage... Does it use the target's original Attack stat or its modified Attack stat against it after Tabs reductions are applied?

I guess I'm wondering whether there's any merit to using Foul Play as a stop-gap to some physical set up sweepers.
considering sword of ruin ability to lower defense makes it so body press does less damage I would not be suprised if that is how it works and you use the lowered attack to attack with foul play

Wo-Chien really doesn't hold up in current metagame. It has to compete with Brute Bonnet who has better recovery and more powerful and also Toedscruel who is faster and offers much more utility. It does has excellent bulk I will give.it that but it is easily worn down and the quadruple weakness to U-Turn and First Impression hinder it significantly. Add on all the flying types and it makes it even bleaker for it.

Kinda meme build, but:

Live Reaction ️ (Wo-Chien) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Mud-Slap
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

So basically I found out Wo-Chien had access to Mud-Slap and remembering that RNG hates everyone equally on acc rolls this can very quickly turn into an incredibly cancerous set due to missing six trillion times and getting stalled out.

There are a fair bit of UU Pokés that use moves that usually aren't perfectly accurate already to begin with (Play Rough, Thunder, Hurricane, Pop. Bomb, etc) so just a drop or two and suddenly they're ripping their hair out wondering why their attacker with six kilotons of mud over their eyes can't see the snail dog right in front of them. Pop Leech seed and enjoy.

Knock is always good utility and Giga Drain exists I guess you can use Ruination if you're feeling spicy or hate Talon that much.

A hilarious Maushold counter because the moment they get Mud-Slapped their Pop. Bomb turns almost immediately useless, and usually it's almost guaranteed they'll use Wo-Chien as setup fodder. Add Knock Off for more insult to injury.

Tera-Ghost is one of the better defensive teras due to spinblocking (so you can shit on Donphan), turning a x4 U-Turn weakness into a resist, and also casually checking your local Gallade trying to Sacred Sword your snail away.

Of course you can't Leech a grass but Brambleghast is weak to Knock & Tsareena can't really do much against Wo-Chien so lmao. There's also the problem of Flying Types not caring about Mud-Slap and Talon just in general hard-countering Wo-Chien but hey, funi build remains funi anyways.

Funi Replay 1
Funi Replay 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)