NU Wishiwashi [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Bulky Pivot
move 1: Protect
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Scald / Liquidation
move 4: U-turn / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Schooling
nature: Relaxed / Impish
evs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 188 Def / 48 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Wishiwashi's excellent bulk and great offensive stats allow it to overcome the negative effect of Schooling to be one of the tier's premier bulky pivots, checking offensive threats such as Piloswine, Arctovish, and Silvally-Fire and using its slow U-turn to bring in other threats. The combination of Protect and Leftovers helps Wishiwashi stay in Schooling forme longer, and Protect is also useful to scout the move of Choice item users such as Togedemaru and Abomasnow. Earthquake hits Toxicroak for super effective damage and prevents it from taking advantage of Wishiwashi. Scald can cripple physical Grass-types capable of damaging Wishiwashi, such as Gourgeist and Flapple, as they switch into it, but Liquidation is also a viable option as Wishiwashi's STAB attack, letting it 2HKO Clefairy and thus preventing it from walling Wishiwashi. U-turn lets Wishiwashi pivot out of threatening Pokemon and uses Wishiwashi's low Speed stat to safely bring in powerful wallbreakers. However, Toxic is also an option to cripple some of Wishiwashi's bulkier switch-ins, such as Eldegoss and Drampa; it also synergizes well with Protect, allowing Wishiwashi to accumulate more poison damage. Since Wishiwashi has no reliable recovery, a fully defensive set with Rest, Sleep Talk, a Water-type attack, and U-turn or Earthquake is usable; however, this compromises Wishiwashi's coverage and ability to pivot while also making it very passive. Wishiwashi's Attack EVs let it OHKO Toxicroak with Earthquake after Life Orb recoil. When running a Relaxed nature, the Speed EVs allow Wishiwashi to outspeed Cofagrigus; when running an Impish nature, Wishiwashi is able to outspeed Clefairy. However, an alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 20 Atk / 64 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spe can be used to take advantage of Wishiwashi's mixed bulk. This spread ensures that Wishiwashi always survives a Focus Blast from +2 Toxicroak at full health. Wishiwashi should have a Sassy nature if running Scald or a Careful nature if running Liquidation if it is using this EV spread.

As a pivot with good offensive power and bulk but lack of reliable recovery, Wishiwashi fits best on bulky offense. Wishiwashi appreciates teammates that are able to take on strong Grass- and Electric-type attacks and prevent it from taking too much residual damage from status or entry hazards. Eldegoss resists Grass- and Electric-type attacks, provides hazard removal, and can use Aromatherapy to cure status. Wishiwashi partners well with other Pokemon that have Volt Switch or U-turn, forming a VoltTurn core to wear down the opposing team; some examples are Rotom-F, Togedemaru, and Silvally-Dark. Wishiwashi's slow U-turn lets it safely bring in powerful offensive Pokemon with below-average bulk; Toxicroak, Gourgeist-S, and Rapidash appreciate this support and can threaten the Grass- and Electric-type Pokemon that might switch into Wishiwashi. Wishiwashi also partners very well with common Stealth Rock setters such as Clefairy, Galarian Stunfisk, Sandaconda, and Piloswine because it is a good check to Swords Dance Silvally formes such as Silvally-Fire and Silvally-Water and resists Water; in return, Clefairy and Sandaconda can switch into Toxic users as they attempt to cripple Wishiwashi.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Expulso, 202058]]
- Quality checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [Ho3nConfirm3d, 231074]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
[SET]

move 1: Scald / Liquidation
move 3: Protect
move 4: U-Turn / Toxic
nature: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 188 Def / 48 Spe

evs: Relaxed / Impish

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
this is very important to include; the dex will break otherwise

WIshiwashi's excellent bulk and great offensive stats allow it to overcome the negative effect of Schooling to be one of the tier's premier bulky pivots, checking a large portion of the tier while also spreading status, hitting hard, and using its slow U-Turn to bring in other threats. Maybe some examples of annoying-to-defensively-check Pokemon would be good up here? Piloswine and Swords Dance Silvally-Fire come to mind. Scald can cripple physical Grass-types capable of damaging Wishiwashi, such as Gourgeist and Flapple, as they switch into Wishiwashi, but Liquidation is also a viable option as Wishiwashi's STAB attack, letting it 2HKO Clefairy and thus preventing it from walling all of Wishiwashi's attacks. Earthquake hits Toxicroak for super effective damage, always KOing it after a round of Life Orb recoil and thus preventing it from using Dry Skin to set up on Wishiwashi and prevents it from taking advantage of Wishiwashi you explain the EVs later and that they give you this benchmark, so I don't see a need to say it both times. Protect and Leftovers help Wishiwashi gain an extra turn of recovery against Pokemon that do not have recovery or before Wishiwashi switches out, improving its durability and enabling it to stay out of Schooling range for a greater portion of the match. This sentence is kind of confusing to read; I think you could simplify it to "The combination of Protect and Leftovers helps Wishiwashi stay in Schooling forme longer, with Protect also letting it scout Choice item users like x and y." Finally, U-Turn is the most common option for Wishiwashi's fourth move, since it lets Wishiwashi pivot out of threatening Pokemon and uses Wishiwashi's low Speed stat to safely bring in powerful yet frail wallbreakers such as Liepard and Toxicroak. I'd avoid naming teammates here; you can talk about Pokemon that benefit from Wishiwashi's slow U-turn in the next section. However, Toxic is also an option to cripple some of Wishiwashi's bulkier switch-ins, such as Eldegoss and Lanturn; it also synergizes well with Protect, allowing Wishiwashi to accumulate more Toxic damage on its switch-ins. Honestly I don't know how I feel about these examples given they both commonly run Aromatherapy and Heal Bell, but meh, don't feel pressured to remove them unless QC 2 tells you to. Wishiwashi's EV spread lets it OHKO Toxicroak after a round of Life Orb recoil and outspeed Cofagrigus if running a Relaxed Nature as well as outspeeding Clefairy if running an Impish Nature; the rest of its EVs are thrown into Defense with a boosting nature so that it can wall physical attackers like Silvally-Water, SIlvally-Fire, and Arctovish. This latter bit is fluff, but I think this sentence is a bit clunky in its current form. "The Attack EVs let Wishiwashi OHKO Toxicroak with Earthquake after Life Orb recoil. When running a Relaxed nature, the Speed EVs allow Wishiwashi to outspeed Cofagrigus; when running Impish, Wishiwashi gets the jump on Clefairy." is an example of a possible fix to this. However, an alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 20 Atk / 64 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spe, with a Sassy Nature if running Scald or a Careful Nature if running Liquidation, can be used to take advantage of Wishiwashi's mixed bulk; the spread ensures that Wishiwashi always survives a Focus Blast from +2 Toxicroak at full health.

Something about Wishiwashi primarily fitting on bulky offense would probably be a good lead sentence here. Wishiwashi appreciates teammates that are able to take on strong Grass and Electric-type attacks. Eldegoss is able to do this while providing hazard removal, which helps Wishiwashi avoid being worn down into Schooling range; Ferroseed can also do this while setting entry hazards, which help Wishiwashi wear down the opposing team even more. I don't know, but I feel like I've never seen Wishiwashi + Ferroseed used before because of the immense overlap between their defensive roles. If you've had success with this combination, then I'll take your word for it here, but I feel Gourgeist-S would be a better mention here as something that also benefits from Wishiwashi's U-turn support. Other hazard setters, such as Garbodor, are also good partners for this reason. Yeah, in general I don't think the focus should be on entry hazards; Wishiwashi's role is primarily that of a wall/tank, not of a wallbreaker. Wishiwashi partners well with other Pokemon that have Volt Switch or U-Turn, forming a VoltTurn core to wear down the opposing team; some examples are Rotom-Frost, Togedemaru, and many Silvally formes. I'd just namedrop Silvally-Dark here; you're obviously never using Silvally-Water alongside Wishiwashi, and I generally see Silvally-Dragon on more hyper offense-oriented builds (although you could probably get away with it on a less offensive team.) The other Silvally formes are either really niche or just don't run U-turn very often (hell, I could make the case Silvally-Dark doesn't either, but enough people like it I guess.)

Maybe a sentence in here about how it synergizes well with common Stealth Rock setters because of how effective it is at checking Swords Dance Silvally formes? This is especially the case with ones like Clefairy and Galarian Stunfisk, which can really struggle versus common ones.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[username1, userid1]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

i put this in hide tags so it's easier to implement the set reordering/fixing (you had the natures listed as the evs and vice versa). also make sure to check this for typos pls so gp has an easier time (U-turn, not U-Turn) (there are some misspelled Pokemon) qc 1/2 when done

also, make sure to reorder the sentences in the first paragraph to match the order they now appear in the set!!

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you so much for the thorough QC check! I really don't know how I mixed up the Nature and EVs slots, lol.

Everything from the check is implemented.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Wishiwashi's excellent bulk and great offensive stats allow it to overcome the negative effect of Schooling to be one of the tier's premier bulky pivots, checking offensive threats such as Piloswine, Arctovish, and Silvally-Fire while also hitting hard (this is implied for how you check these mons) and using its slow U-turn to bring in other threats. The combination of Protect and Leftovers helps Wishiwashi stay in Schooling forme longer, and Protect is also useful to scout the move of Choice item users such as Togedemaru and Abomasnow (another example, this time on the wallbreaking side of things). Earthquake hits Toxicroak for super effective damage and prevents it from taking advantage of Wishiwashi. Scald can cripple physical Grass-types capable of damaging Wishiwashi, such as Gourgeist and Flapple, as they switch into Wishiwashi, but Liquidation is also a viable option as Wishiwashi's STAB attack, letting it 2HKO Clefairy and thus preventing it from walling all of Wishiwashi's attacks. Finally, U-turn is the most common option for Wishiwashi's fourth move, since it (U-turn doesn't need a "most common" introduction, and i'm not sure how accurate that is regardless) lets Wishiwashi pivot out of threatening Pokemon and uses Wishiwashi's low Speed stat to safely bring in powerful yet frail wallbreakers. However, Toxic is also an option to cripple some of Wishiwashi's bulkier switch-ins, such as Eldegoss and Drampa; it also synergizes well with Protect, allowing Wishiwashi to accumulate more Toxic damage on its switch-ins (fluff / already referenced). (Briefly mention that Rest and Sleep Talk can be ran for recovery at the cost of coverage). Wishiwashi's attack EVs let it OHKO Toxicroak with Earthquake after Life Orb recoil. When running a Relaxed nature, the Speed EVs allow Wishiwashi to outspeed Cofagrigus; when running an Impish nature, Wishiwashi is able to outspeed Clefairy. However, an alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 20 Atk / 64 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spe can be used to take advantage of Wishiwashi's mixed bulk. This spread ensures that Wishiwashi always survives a Focus Blast from +2 Toxicroak at full health. Wishiwashi should have a Sassy Nature if running Scald or a Careful Nature if running Liquidation if it is using this EV spread.

As a pivot with good offensive power and bulk but lack of reliable recovery, Wishiwashi fits best on bulky offense. Wishiwashi appreciates teammates that are able to take on strong Grass- and Electric-type attacks and combat residual damage (relevant for wishi's toxic and entry hazard vulnerability wearing it down). Eldegoss is able to do this while providing hazard removal, which helps Wishiwashi avoid being worn down into Schooling range. Wishiwashi partners well with other Pokemon that have Volt Switch or U-turn, forming a VoltTurn core to wear down the opposing team; some examples are Rotom-Frost, Togedemaru, and Silvally-Dark. Wishiwashi's slow U-turn lets it safely bring in powerful offensive Pokemon with mediocre bulk; Toxicroak, Gourgeist-Small, and Rapidash appreciate this support and can threaten the Grass- and Electric-type Pokemon that might switch into Wishiwashi, so they are good teammates. (fluff) Wishiwashi also partners very well with common Stealth Rock setters because it is a good check to Swords Dance Silvally formes such as Silvally-Fire and Silvally-Water, which prevents Stealth Rock setters like Clefairy and Galarian Stunfisk from becoming setup bait; these setters also make good teammates to switch into Toxic (Something like this to reference how wishi deals with wallbreakers while the SR setters deal with Toxic walls) Its resistance to Water-type attacks and excellent bulk also makes it a good teammate for Sandaconda and Piloswine.

[CREDITS]

qc 2/2 when implemented!

Ho3nConfirm3d-QC-small.gif

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Wishiwashi's excellent bulk and great offensive stats allow it to overcome the negative effect of Schooling to be one of the tier's premier bulky pivots, checking offensive threats such as Piloswine, Arctovish, and Silvally-Fire and using its slow U-turn to bring in other threats. The combination of Protect and Leftovers helps Wishiwashi stay in Schooling forme longer, and Protect is also useful to scout the move of Choice item users such as Togedemaru and Abomasnow. Earthquake hits Toxicroak for super effective damage and prevents it from taking advantage of Wishiwashi. Scald can cripple physical Grass-types capable of damaging Wishiwashi, such as Gourgeist and Flapple, as they switch into Wishiwashi, but Liquidation is also a viable option as Wishiwashi's STAB attack, letting it 2HKO Clefairy and thus preventing it from walling all of Wishiwashi's attacks Wishiwashi. Finally,(RC, optional removal but I think it makes less sense to say "finally" when there is another move option listed afterwards) U-turn lets Wishiwashi pivot out of threatening Pokemon and uses Wishiwashi's low Speed stat to safely bring in powerful yet frail (something like Silvally-Fire could easily be brought in with U-turn, but it isn't exactly frail) wallbreakers. However, Toxic is also an option to cripple some of Wishiwashi's bulkier switch-ins, such as Eldegoss and Drampa; it also synergizes well with Protect, allowing Wishiwashi to accumulate more Toxic poison damage. Since Wishiwashi has no reliable recovery, a fully defensive set with Rest, Sleep Talk, a Water-type attack, and U-turn or Earthquake is usable; however, this compromises Wishiwashi's coverage and ability to pivot while also making it very passive. Wishiwashi's attack Attack EVs let it OHKO Toxicroak with Earthquake after Life Orb recoil. When running a Relaxed nature, the Speed EVs allow Wishiwashi to outspeed Cofagrigus; when running an Impish nature, Wishiwashi is able to outspeed Clefairy. However, an alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 20 Atk / 64 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spe can be used to take advantage of Wishiwashi's mixed bulk. This spread ensures that Wishiwashi always survives a Focus Blast from +2 Toxicroak at full health. Wishiwashi should have a Sassy Nature nature if running Scald or a Careful Nature nature if running Liquidation if it is using this EV spread.

As a pivot with good offensive power and bulk but lack of reliable recovery, Wishiwashi fits best on bulky offense. Wishiwashi appreciates teammates that are able to take on strong Grass- and Electric-type attacks and prevent Wishiwashi it from taking too much residual damage from status or entry hazards. Eldegoss resists Grass- and Electric-type attacks, provides hazard removal, and can use Aromatherapy to cure status for Wishiwashi. Wishiwashi partners well with other Pokemon that have Volt Switch or U-turn, forming a VoltTurn core to wear down the opposing team; some examples are Rotom-F, Togedemaru, and Silvally-Dark. Wishiwashi's slow U-turn lets it safely bring in powerful offensive Pokemon with mediocre below-average (these Pokemon all have at least semi-respectable defensive utility between their alright natural bulk or ability) bulk; Toxicroak, Gourgeist-S, and Rapidash appreciate this support and can threaten the Grass- and Electric-type Pokemon that might switch into Wishiwashi. Wishiwashi also partners very well with common Stealth Rock setters such as Clefairy, Galarian Stunfisk, Sandaconda, and Piloswine because it is a good check to Swords Dance Silvally formes such as Silvally-Fire and Silvally-Water and resists Water (RC) which prevents Stealth Rock setters like Clefairy and Galarian Stunfisk from becoming setup bait; in return, Clefairy and Galarian Stunfisk can switch into Toxic users as they attempt to cripple Wishiwashi. Its resistance to Water-type attacks and excellent bulk also makes it a good teammate for Sandaconda and Piloswine.

[CREDITS]

gp 1/1 when done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)