WiFi Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since this is generally focused on Pokemon Showdown! and WiFi is one of the largest rooms with a dedicated fanbase (we're nearly at 400 video views on our new YouTube channel, and thats just a week), for this kickoff issue, it would be great to have an article about WiFi. Or of course, this could be a repeating series, but I'll get to that later. What I will say now is that I write professionally for many political campaigns across the United States, so when it comes to words, consider me as close to an expert.

The Pitch
After beating the Pokemon game proper, you're left with a few options (not going to mention the abysmal postgame quality of XY...). You can "catch 'em all", or go battle against real people online. Of course, doing so requires, at least in this day and age, an internet connection. This is where WiFi comes in. Whether it be trading, cloning, or competitive battling, there's quite a lot of people (~300 or so) who want to take their Showdown! teams onto their 3DS through breeding, trading, wager matches, and cloning.

Now, you may be asking yourself: What makes this a good article. Well, honestly, there's too much to simply cover in one article, ergo I have provided a litany of topics below:

• The Economy: This is personally the most fascinating topic vis a vis WiFi room for me. Tracking the simulated "economy" that we have and pinpointing what exactly it is that makes Pokemon "A" more valuable than Pokemon "B". This article would lay out, in longer terms than the message that the mods currently use to fit in PM, the reasons behind the bans for Pokegen and yes, Powersaves. This feature would be of the perspective of many of the WiFi auth, and would include quotes from most/all WiFi staff.
  • WiFi Stats: Something I started but had no medium to show is WiFi stats. How many trades happen through this site a day? What's the most popular Pokemon being traded? How often is the room used, and how many hours are spent in this room? This could of course be extrapolated to the entire Showdown! community, or individualized for individual rooms, but I already have the surveys ready to go.
  • Breeding 101: While there's many breeding guides on the internet, I've been hard-pressed to find one that has every aspect of the process, in very simple and down to earth terms. I could crowdsource breeders and create a comprehensive visual and written guide.
  • Hacked Pokemon: While we already have a "sheet" for how to detect hacked Pokemon, this could be more in depth, with of course more visuals.

Anyway, that about wraps it up for me. Obviously, the first two would be fantastic in-depth projects that I would feel excited to work on, but any of these things can be used, as well as more than one. WiFi continuously inspires me to create and always surprises me with new challenges, so I expect to be able to continuously be able to submit both personally, and on behalf of the room.

You definitely know what you're doing with this. It just needs a snazzy title and it's good to go. This is approved for issue 2. You may post in The Kiln with this after you gain access and you can put it with the tag WIP and [Issue 2].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)