Research When have we last seen every single Pokémon region? (By release year)

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Following the unfortunate loss of the Nintendo eShop's functionality on the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U systems, it has come to my attention that there are a few Pokémon games on both systems that, as of March 27, 2023, have not received compensation in the form of Nintendo Switch Online ports, or at least not yet. A number of these may be added to the Nintendo Switch Online service well after this thread goes live (heck, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team doesn't even need one because it got a full remake in 2020!), but for the time being, it remains to be seen when we will see a number of Pokémon games again on future Nintendo hardware. I've composed a full list of all Virtual Console Pokémon games previously featured on the Wii, 3DS, and Wii U lineups that are not currently on the Nintendo Switch in any form as of the above date, and that list consists of the following:

-Super Smash Bros. (N64), assuming this game counts
-Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC) *Was previously announced, release date TBD*
-Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (GBC)
-Pokémon Red, Green, & Blue versions (GB, all regions)
-Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (GBC, all regions)
-Pokémon Gold & Silver versions (GBC, all regions)
-Pokémon Crystal (GBC, all regions)
-Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire (GBA)
-PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (Wii)
-PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond (Wii) *For some reason Bulbapedia didn't include this one on the list, but it was there*
-Pokémon Ranger (DS)
-Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (DS)
-Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs (DS)
-Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (DS) *Could get the same treatment Rescue Team did, but this remains to be seen*

As you can see, that's quite the list. The main series games and the Ranger trilogy in particular got me thinking about how long it's been since we've last visited every single region in Pokémon, including regions from spinoff titles. From this point on, I want to designate this thread as a general discussion thread regarding the information present, but would also like to make sure we don't break any posting rules about speculation or theorizing in the process. This is the first thread I've written for Orange Islands in quite some time, and I hope you're all willing to welcome me back following some recent struggles I've been having. Now, without further ado, here's the full list of when we've last been in each region, and in what games. The list will be sorted from least recent to most recent from top to bottom. Enjoy, and happy posting!

Orre: 2005 (Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness for the GameCube)
Ransei: 2012 (Pokémon Conquest for the DS)
Unova: 2012 (Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 for the DS)
Kalos: 2013 (Pokémon X & Y for the 3DS)
Hoenn: 2014 (Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire for the 3DS)
Fiore: 2016 (Pokémon Ranger for the Wii U's Virtual Console)
Almia: 2016 (Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia for the Wii U's Virtual Console)
Oblivia: 2016 (Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs for the Wii U's Virtual Console)
Alola: 2017 (Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon for the 3DS)
Johto: 2018 (Pokémon Crystal for the 3DS's Virtual Console)
Kanto: 2018 (Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu & Let's Go! Eevee for the Switch)
Galar: 2019 (Pokémon Sword & Shield for the Switch)
Lental: 2021 (New Pokémon Snap for the Switch)
Sinnoh: 2021 (Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl for the Switch)
Hisui: 2022 (Pokémon Legends: Arceus for the Switch)
Paldea: 2022 (Pokémon Scarlet & Violet for the Switch)

Sources:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Virtual_Console#Pok.C3.A9mon_games
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_XD:_Gale_of_Darkness
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Template:Spin-off_series
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Template:Core_series

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Mmm, definitely overdue a return to Unova, aren't we.

I guess that might partially explain the Unova species' relative over-representation in Gen VIII (that and James Turner still being senior at GF).

I'm sort of in a weird in-between place with Unova in that while I'd like to visit it again (it's one of my favourite regions), I think BW and B2W2 hold up really, really well so I think remaking them like BDSP were done would be beyond pointless, and don't think remakes more in the vein of ORAS are needed either. Doing B3W3 on the Switch or the SwitchSuccessor would be incredibly jarring, the moment has passed.

On the flip side though I'm not convinced there's a particular need for a Legends:Unova game. L:A already expanded the Kami trio, the Swords of Justice have pretty much been done and Keldeo being catchable in the Crown Tundra means that it likely wouldn't be a massive draw. And I don't particularly want the Tao trio fleshed out more; seeing the Original Dragon would just be a massive letdown. It should stay a mystery, or only ever partially glimpsed. I don't think there's anywhere to go with Meloetta or Victini either.

Maybe, just maybe, you could centre it around Genesect's original form? Could potentially be interesting. But it's not a wildly popular Pokemon so I can't see Game Freak rushing to make Legends:Genesect.

So while I think it's quite likely we'll see Unova again in the not-too-distant future, I'm really gonna take some convincing on that idea.

Last edited:
I'm sort of in a weird in-between place with Unova in that while I'd like to visit it again (it's one of my favourite regions), I think BW and B2W2 hold up really, really well so I think remaking them like BDSP were done would be beyond pointless, and don't think remakes more in the vein of ORAS are needed either. Doing B3W3 on the Switch or the SwitchSuccessor would be incredibly jarring, the moment has passed.
I disagree, though only because the BW series were the only games I played but never bought, and I wouldn't mind a chance to remedy that without spending jacked up prices for used copies that might not even be legit. I agree with you to the extent that I'd be satisfied if they rereleased the originals in some bundle that doesn't require NSO expansion, but I don't have much hope for that happening. The obvious concern with a bdsp-esque remake (aside from the quality) is that they'd only remake bw1.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The obvious concern with a bdsp-esque remake (aside from the quality) is that they'd only remake bw1.
I would actually argue that seeing separate remakes for both games is still possible. The thing is, The Pokémon Company and Game Freak still look at Black & White’s sequels as their own thing unlike, say, Emerald or Platinum, and to a lesser extent Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon. It’s always possible that we get a BW1 remake first, and then get a BW2 remake after that.

As for if this remake would be BDSP-esque: I’d actually be okay if they were, and that’s because of the first six main series regions being what I’ve always called “tile-based”. From Alola onwards, they strayed away from the overworld tile system and more towards that kind of open-movement style. This is why a Sinnoh remake that felt too similar to SwSh may have felt a bit off-putting, and with BDSP being made by another company, that gave Game Freak a chance to give consumers options and make Legends instead. No one ever said we had to buy both BDSP and Legends, after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)