Project What's Their Last? v2 [Week 24: Voting phase]

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Sorry for the long wait Twilight, here's the mon I have chosen!

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

First thing i noticed is that the team HATED DD + EQ Malt. It also isn't too leisurely with facing Terrakion either. ENTER....Skizzor! also secondary lati check, epic.

and then i fill out the reservation only to realize that the team has 0 molt switchins

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Nihilego @ Expert Belt
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Grass Knot

The team currently has 0 switch in's to moltres (and also crobat to a lesser extent), which nihilego offers. It also gives you a pokemon that kills togekiss that can swap directly into it safely unlike nidoking, which gets hit hard by air slash on swap ins, and is better brought in through u-turn on predicted swaps into kiss, and has to watch out for the rare scarf sets.

A more offensive item and EV spread was chosen to fit the offensive nature of the team, while keeping protect to help scout choice locks / pursuit still. Expert belt over life orb so as to serve as a better defensive check to pokemon without constantly chipping yourself into range.

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Congratulations Estarossa for winning this week with your Expert Belt Nihilego submission with 100% of the votes. Well done for correctly acknowledging the team needed to deal with Moltres as well as Togekiss. The original Pokemon was in fact Mega Aerodactyl taking advantage of the free Mega Slot and providing pursuit support. Thank you Stoward for providing the team last week!

Here is the team being featured for Week 17:
gastrodon-east.gif
terrakion.gif
aggron-mega.gif
hydreigon.gif
gengar.gif

Gastrodon-East @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Memento
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Gengar @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
"I started the team around Z-Memento Gastrodon and LO Double Dance Terrakion because two Terrakions are better than one. Terrakion could break and then be healed back up again and profit off the opponents stat drops to set up. Mega Aggron, the mandatory Steel-type, provided Stealth Rocks and a reliable Scizor answer with Fire Punch. Choice Scarf Hydreigon served as speed control and functions well with Gengar in the next slot who can threaten the broken fairies Hydreigon lures in through U-turn. Gengar pressures opposing Fighting-types excellently. What’s my last?"

Get your submissions in by Friday guys owo​

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

Florges-White @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Synthesis
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

The team as it currently stands needs hazard control. Florges offers this and heal bell support, which is useful as z-memento won't cure status, and both aggron and gastrodon in particular hate status, as well as potential burns on terrakion, while forming a steel dragon fairy core with aggron and hydreigon.

It also offers a reliable switchin to hydreigon, but unlike togekiss also beats taunt sets due to having fairy stab, and also takes less damage from stealth rocks when attempting to defog or swap in.

Last edited:

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Defog

Its no secret this team desperately needs a last slot fairy type, and its even less of a secret that it has no hazard removal. Togekiss cures these ailments while also curing Terrakion's ailments. Heal Bell lets you heal statuses that Z-Memento can't quite cover for, letting you fix up otherwise detrimental mistakes. Defog lets you remove hazards from your field too, which makes it less likely for Terrakion to be chipped outside of it's own life orb, which I'm sure it appreciates. This Togekiss set in particular can also take hits from Zygarde-10%, who would otherwise be a nuisance. It also gives the team an answer for Hydra variants like scarf that would otherwise prove a nuisance. It also has a generally decent defensive synergy with both Aggron and Gastrodon, providing the team a decent defensive backbone.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell

A dragon-steel-fairy core produces synergy that is very strong. This build almost has it except for the fairy. There are many good fairies to choose from but I settled down to sylveon and florges. Both do their jobs as clerics very well, but sylveons role to bypass sub with a powerful hypervoice and to reliably wish pass is something you can't ignore. I feel like this team does need a wish supporter, as 4 of the mons have no rocovery. If the last slot will go to a fairy, then Sd superpower scizor becomes a huge problem for this team. Let alone continuous Uturn chip/hp grass mane will force gastro to use its z move for aggron. Well played wish can help prevent that and maximize the capabilities of terrakion. It's also worth mentioning hypervoice bypass, because a kyurem with a sub runs through this team. (Gastro can't do shit)

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Clear Smog

It checks Scizor and Primarina, doesn't need Wish support, and complements the team's bulk in general. You still get annihilated by stall but this works still overall. It's not like the Fairies helped vs stall either and idk why we have to always hop on these Faries' dick. Well apart from autolosing to Sharpedo sort of although Psychic Fang is getting slightly less common. Maybe? Actually yeah I like the Fairy options more myself but they are boring and unfun and I can't use stall bait anyways~~

Sorry for the delay on this week, we were hoping someone else would vote to break this tie but I'll just do it myself anyways. My vote goes to Smallsmallrose so congratulations for winning this week with your Togekiss submission. The original Pokemon was Tsareena, for hazard removal and a way to pressure Ground- and Water-types. I personally like the Togekiss submission as you correctly identify the team needs hazard removal and a bit more counterplay to Dark-types. Particularly Hydreigon and Krookodile which Togekiss can sponge hits from. Thank you Scizorphobic for providing the team last week and everyone who participated!
Smallsmallrose- 2
Estarossa - 1
pokeisfun - 1

Here is the team being featured by me for Week 19 :

Necrozma @ Psychium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Signal Beam

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 104 HP / 52 Def / 200 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 28 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Roost

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

"I started off with the core of Necrozma and Nidoqueen. Necrozma acting as the Stealth Rock user, so that Nidoqueen can run Toxic Spikes. Together they can break apart a lot of cores due to their strong offensive presence. Mega Blastoise gives a Scizor and Mega Aerodactyl check that can provide hazard removal support. Scizor acts as the team's counterplay to Mega Altaria and Latias. Togekiss helps with the Stall matchup a bit more and provides some more speed control with T-Wave. It also gives the much needed Hydreigon and Krookodile answer. Good luck figuring out the last!"

Get your submissions in by Wednesday guys ^_^​

Estarossa

moo?
C&C Leader

Nihileggo my eggo (Nihilego) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Pain Split

The team currently has no swap ins to moltres. With a scizor on team, and a team with no pokemon which outspeed it, this is quite a problem. Nihilego offers this swap in, while also outspeeding it. It also offers an answer to togekiss and pidgeot too.

A speed boosting nihilego set here allows it serve as an additional weak form of speed control on top of bullet punch and twave, while allowing it to potentially deal with revenge killers due to speed boosts.

EDIT: after playing treecko on my suspect acc while playing stall vs him playing this team, I realised that that togekiss alone is woefully insufficient vs stall given if it gets toxic'd the team can't really do much, therefore putting pain split on the nihilego to further pressure stall, by being able to fully heal on blissey etc.

Last edited:
9AC91D1F-1E35-441F-8E5D-4A562AF7192B.gif

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Having double fairy on this build wouldnt hurt it too much, as there is both scizor and nidoqueen. This team needed something to not let it get 6-0d by a Mega pidgeot, Moltres and all the other flyings. Diancie also provides with cleric support, which this team would appreciate, and so that Mega Blastoice would not worry about toxic chip after aura sphering empoleon. Having a secondary Hydreigon check when rocks are up would also help prevent togekiss getting worn down after taking 25% from rocks.

Last edited:

Notily

dirt rich

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Pain Split

rotom-h provides a flying resist and patches up some of the holes that are opened up by running lo pursuit sciz as the steel (mainly easing the boltbeam lati mu). having stoise as the spinner frees up a moveslot to run pain split so that it can reliably answer boltbeam lati, moltres, and scizor throughout the game. also creates a nice voltturn core w/ sciz so you have some more opportunities to pivot in the hazard setters or to double to stoise on the ground. it also gives another bp resist which i feel is important given that lo pursuit sciz gives opposing sciz free set up and you cant necessarily rely on the hazard setters + spinner to not be in +2 bp range late game. also acts as a secondary manectric check which is important given that the ground is an offensive nidoqueen that risks getting 2hko'd by hp ice after rocks.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Toxic
- Protect

In addition to a poor flying type matchup, the team also lacks virtually any form of counterplay to opposing waters like Suicune, Primarina, and Volcanion that Blastoise can struggle to handle. Empo can run 4 moves here with hazard setting and removing niches accounted for. This means it can use roar to keep boosting waters like Suicune at bay while racking up hazard damage, and still run toxic to pester flying and dragon pokemon, it's ability to check some dragons taking pressure off of Togekiss and Scizor too. And it can still run the classic protect for scouting and recovery. It also takes pressure off of Blastoise being the team's sole water resist, as it can switch in on Volcanion (Give or take specs Earth Power) and handily switch in on Primarina variants.

Notily has my vote.

The other options seem kinda redundant in typing areas and leave the team kinda in an awkward state. For example, Diancie does give the team a flying resist, but Stealth Rocks are kinda mandatory and a reason for using Diancie, and double Fairy is really bad across the board. Nihilego also gives a flying resist, but double Poison types are like the last thing you want due to the prevalence of psychic types like Latias and Celebi, as well as scarf Krook being common still. Empoleon seems a little better then Nihil/Diancie, but the double water types here leave the team really annoyed by the likes of Rotom Heat and Mega Manectric, which both can pressure Nidoqueen with hidden power Ice/Overheat, respectively.

With that all being said, Rotom Heat stands out as the best option given here in my opinion due to offering a Flying Resist, another Scizor check, as well as Volt Switch support to bring in it's teammates, which is an added bonus, and doesn't seem redundant, at least to me. No hard feelings to the other people who submitted the other options, that's just my views on the matter.

tl;dr - I'm voting Rotom-Heat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)