What's Their Last? - ON BREAK

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
With a large lead, Memoric wins the week with his Thundurus submission! As for the actual last...

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Iron Tail
- Hydro Pump
- Tailwind

Salamence provides speed control, another Lando check, a Fairy lure, as well as Intimidate support for the rather frail team. Hydro is for Lando and Fires, while Iron Tail KO's standard Gard at +0, it also lures Diancie and CM Sylv, which my team struggles against.

The full original team, as well as the winning submission, will be added to the Hall of Fame. Memoric, if you would like to provide next week's team, please send it to me along with the corresponding descriptions.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Salamence @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Raikou @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Snarl
- Protect

Thanks to Memoric for providing this week's team, here's what he had to say about the first five members:

This team's a relic lol, I built it a long-ish time ago but never really used it in a notable game. I built it around Salamence in particular because I like it lol, then I just put in Mega Diancie because it's really hot. After that, I put in Azumarill since it could do some business with Landorus-T and was p neat for just punishing things. Ferrothorn is there because it has neat resists, letting me match up against stuff such as Mega Diancie and opposing Azumarill nicely, and also because it makes people scared to use physicals, most especially Mega Kangaskhan. Raikou is an off pick but it's there because it has nice access to Snarl and Thunder Wave and it outruns 110+s, OThund, and Talon trying to Blitz, helping my matchups against them. Snarl was pretty useful for giving my team, esp Azu, some opportunities here and there, and TWave was neat for checking stuff that might be problematic and backs up my fast attackers p well.

But.... what's their last? Submissions close Saturday, September 24th at 11:59pm EST!

Reserving talonflame

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

So talonflame just seems like the perfect fit. You get a fire type which synergizes really well with mega diancie, a complete fwg core and another ground immunity. As well as more strong priority to aid with the tr matchup. Tailwind was already on mence and between ferro, azumarill and hydro on mence diancie was pretty well covered. Will o wisp lets you completely weaken non scarf lando t which is nice.

Last edited:
Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard

I don't really see a way on how Azu will get a free set up, but maybe that's just me (or not?). Quick Guard, Fake Out, Redirection.. nothing but the pressure of ferrothorn at best. Well, I think Infernape best fit this team because it is one of the fastest Fake Out users. In addition, Quick Guard, which I favor more, offers a way to stop potential Fake Outs and Prankster Taunts (at a risk of course). Other reasons to choose Infernape: Close Combat pressures the most common Mega, Kang, and Overheat offers a way to deal heavy damage onto Redirectors (Amoonguss & Jirachi).

Last edited:

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EV's: 224 HP / 72 Def / 96 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice

When I saw this team, I thought that it could use a fire type because I think the team at the moment needs another way to switch into fairy moves as well as another way to beat steel types. I also felt that Landorus-T could be a problem for the team, but I valued some of the traits Volcarona brings more. Volcarona is a good mon and I feel the Rage Powder set doesn't get enough love because of how it doesn't fit into many teams. Rage Powder here gives Azu some support to set up a Belly Drum. Overheat OHKO's Amoonguss and has a chance to OHKO Jirachi and Aegislash. Hidden Power Ice OHKO's 4 HP (non assault vest) Landorus-T. The bulk means it lives two Lando EQ's through sitrus. The speed beats Jolly Breloom by 3, so you're basically creeping anything that aims to outspeed Breloom.

TIL: you can't have slashes since I don't read. But over HP Ice, Bug Buzz can be used for Hoopa/Cress/Etc. Whirlwind could also be a cool tech for Trick Room and other stuff.

There are other better mons that fit imo but this is the coolest

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

I do like Fake Out and pressuring the redirectors with powerful stabs, but I don't like Infernape for this team because of its added weakness to Lando-T. Pushes the team towards Lando-T + HP Ice Thund = GG (pretty much only ferro standing in the way). It also doesn't help with the teams biggest build weakness, which, despite Ferro is probably TR (especially TR that beats Ferro so like Gourgeist).

So.... Good against the redirectors, offers Fake Out to help Azu, but also more useful against Lando-T and TR mons than Infernape is... I came up with Weavile.

I probably support volcarona anyway. I too made a team forever ago with diancie, rp volc, and tw mence. It was a neat combo.

Rotom-Heat @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

so since there are few viable fire types left that werent submitted and silver wants to post for the sake of posting in order to help contribute to our community, i chose rotom-heat. i forgot what this is benchmarked for, but this fast rotom heat variant (other than it makes people go "wth, why is that so fast" after they lose a pokemon or get fast will-oed) is actually quite strong offensively, offers the team a fire type levitator, contains momentum with voltswitch, giving a potential azumaril belly drum or a salamence tailwind, and gives the team a nice will-o-wisp .

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Nido is King!!!

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

What I noticed here is that Lando, volcanion, and heatran could all put a dent in this team. Nidoking checks all 3 and has overall great coverage.

talkingtree

large if factual
Whoops, I forgot to update this last night, apologies everyone. Please state the name of the one user / submission that you are voting for, and as a reminder, you may not vote for your own submission. Was their last...

Aurarayquaza's Talonflame
Test Bot #'s Infernape
GiraGoomy's Volcarona
Bughouse's Weavile
Silverwhiteblue's Rotom-H
n10sit's Nidoking

Voting closes Tuesday, September 27th at noon EST!

talkingtree

large if factual
With a very innovative Volcarona set, GiraGoomy takes the week! His submission, along with the full original team, will be added to the Hall of Fame. As for the actual last...

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- Protect

Talonflame is the last because I felt that I needed stronger options against Fires and Steels. It's because I wanted something that instantly allows me to apply pressure to foes without regard to the speed game.

GiraGoomy, please let me know soon if you would like to provide next week's team, and if so, then send me the importable along with corresponding descriptions.

talkingtree

large if factual

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Protect

Thanks to GiraGoomy for providing this week's team! Here's what he had to say about the first five members:

So this is a pretty old team but it's probably the one that I've had the most success with. I originally started the team with the idea of being able to trap with Mega Gengar and capitalise on trapping with the offensive pressure of Blaziken. I added Thundurus in next as a way to help against Trick Room and also to provide speed control with Thunder Wave so that Gengar and Blaziken would be the fastest things on the field. Ferrothorn was the next addition to my team as it gave me another decent switch-in to Kangaskhan, and it also gave me another fairy resist to combat Mega Diancie as well as the rise of Mega Gardevoir. As my fifth, I added in Suicune, as it would give me a good way to check Landorus and fire types. During the period of time in which I made this team, Trick Room was also somewhat popular so I decided to add Roar (even though I had Thundurus taunt) as a niche way to deal with that. I decided to go with a more attacking spread because it was something I hadn't tried out before.

But what's their last? Voting ends Sunday, October 2nd at 11:59pm!

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Tailwind
- Protect

The team would benefit from a Ghost- and Psychic-type switch in, so a Dark-type seems an obvious fit. I also feel the team has gone rather heavy into checking Fairy types if you don't account for another Fairy weakness. Further, the absence of Tailwind on Suicune would be explained if it was used on a partner instead, and I don't feel Hydreigon badly needs either Earth Power or Fire Blast to cover threats. Finally, having another Ground immunity for when Gengar has mega evolved is nice.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Protect

Thundurus is too frail for my taste, so it is likely to be a victim for Amoonguss users like myself to eliminate as soon as possible. Of course, there is Ferrothorn, but Blaziken is the only one that put a large amount of damage onto it; that I don't like. Latios acts as a Killing Machine to Amoonguss and as a good partner to Blaziken/Thundurus in case of facing Fighting types such as Keldeo/Terrakion. By doing this, the team can maintain it's Hyper Offensive position as opposed to relying on slow stallish Ferrothorn to do the job for them. Draco Meteor helps against other threats that the team will perhaps have a hard time against. (Ex. Volcaion, Thundurus, etc.)

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Out of top mons, I think team most badly needs help with Char-Y, Volcanion, and, to a lesser degree, Talon. Could also use intimidate in general, cuz every team can. Helping Gengar live hits from Talon, etc.

So I'll steal and modify a set already out there nommed in this thread before:
Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Stone Edge
- Protect

OHKO both of the top threats. Outspeed Char-Y unless it's weirdly Timid. I swapped out the "standard" of this set HP Ice because the team really doesn't need the hit on Lando-T. Suicune, Ferro, Blaziken all beat it. The intimidate and EQ immunity should be enough out of this slot that we don't need to use precious moveslots to hit basically one target.

Instead I've slotted in Explosion to do large chunks of damage to both opponents. Every teammate has protect and Gengar is ghost.

252 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 361-429 (99.1 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%)
-1 4 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Mega Charizard Y: 395-468 (110 - 130.3%)
4 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Rotom-W: 110-131 (36.1 - 43%)
4 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Explosion vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Rotom-W: 207-244 (68 - 80.2%) - nifty guaranteed ko combination avoiding sitrus :)
4 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Explosion vs. 56 HP / 200 Def Sylveon: 264-311 (76.5 - 90.1%)

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
so naming opposing threats off the top of my head
  • landorus-t (no hp ice on thund? life orb 2 status moves seems weird, and it seems weird on blaziken since overheat can literally almost kill non vest: 176 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 277-328 (86.8 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO)
  • zard-y
  • dragons? it looks okay vs latios, hydrei, kyube but mence seems like a gigantic threat
  • one volcanion check
SCARF KYUBEY TIME

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Stone Edge

this hits all 4 of the mentioned threats, albeit doesn't do a ton to volcanion, even tho it does 2hko sitrus: 252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 228-270 (62.6 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
yeah tho this mon is great vote kyube

talkingtree

large if factual
Time to vote! Please state the Pokemon and/or user that you would like to vote for, and at this point, I'm assuming everyone knows not to vote for themselves. Was their last...

Carbonific's Hydreigon
Test Bot #'s Latios
Bughouse's Landorus-T
n10sit's Kyurem-B

Voting closes Thursday, October 5th at noon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)