General What brought you to Smogon?

My friends introduced me to Pokemon Showdown!, and when I joined the Lobby room, I saw the Koffing and "Smogon University" and I was like, "Hey, I'll check it out". I read a bunch of threads and stuff like that, and then I created an account a few months ago, and became more active some weeks ago. I also started posting on Smogon after making my first RMT in the RMT forums.

What brought me here was the fact that one of my friends is into Smogon. While I was iffy about the whole concept of Smogon, I still kept a careful eye on it. That said friend got defeated by a famous Poketuber and that's when I decided to be fully invested into Smogon to learn and avenge my friend. It's cheesy, I know but motivation is motivation no matter how cheesy or how ridiculous it is.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
every 1 esle of my friens had smogon and suggeasted me to created 1 so that brought me here

User cookiemonsta from Gaia online recommended Smogon. Kind of miss the Gaia days, but Smogon is awesome too.
Wait, you were on Gaia Online too? What was your name on there? From 2003-2008 I was known as "Metal X", then I changed to "Tareeza". And a few years ago when I found out my account still existed I changed to "Kurai Zetsu". I remember giving away loads of expensive items to my girlfriend at primary school, just because I felt like doing so. If I actually still had these items today I could've make some big money with it actually. I also really miss those days. My favorite activities were definitely Fishing and just some random Chatterbox for gold. Nowadays you get about 1K gold for just posting, like what the heck.

So awesome to see someone from Gaia here. I actually never realize it, but Gaia is also a big part of my childhood. Me and my best friend were just fishing and talking nonsense on the forums, all day every day. One day I might just contact him again so we can return to see what Gaia has become. And look what I found on my computer:

Last edited:
Oh my god that's incredible. Who would ever thought that two people from Gaia would meet here?! Lol! My name was something like Light_Estelle, but I cant remember exactly. When I logged on a few months ago just to check almost everyone I knew was gone. Only one persn was left, and they recommended me Smogon since they saw I was into Pokemon. So awesome to see you here :D

And you get like 10K for posts nowafays, not 1K. Sick rite?

Oh my god that's incredible. Who would ever thought that two people from Gaia would meet here?! Lol! My name was something like Light_Estelle, but I cant remember exactly. When I logged on a few months ago just to check almost everyone I knew was gone. Only one persn was left, and they recommended me Smogon since they saw I was into Pokemon. So awesome to see you here :D

And you get like 10K for posts nowafays, not 1K. Sick rite?
Hmm I actually can't remember you. Would have been such a coincidence if I did. And you were right. I just logged on and tried to post:

The only bummer is that it's so focused on actual money nowadays. We should meet up there some time, just for fun :)

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Omg I played Gaiaonline too lol! My username was bagels_creamcheese12 (I was in 6th grade when I made it). I loved playing ZOMG but, idk why it's gone now sooo. Anyways, I have been lurking on Smogon for like 2 years now. The Frost Server (it's gone now ;-;) was what led me to Smogon when I started competitive battling, around the release of BW, and Smogon was the only resource I trusted since I was new to the concept back then. I only recently created my account when I decided that I wanted to be apart of this wonderful community~! c:

Raven

Esto es el fin.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Snaquaza told me to make a smogon account so he could start tagging me on the PS! Scavengers leaderboard :^)

Nappy / Aim / Shofu videos brought me to PS! though, and I stayed for the WiFi clone economy.

I found out about smogon after I was looking for honchkrow on bulbapedia. It came up with smogon. Which started my competitive pokemon stuff.

Well, I came to Smogon simply because I play mostly on Pokemon Showdown. I thought that, after some time spent battling and creating teams, I could help other, newer users out! How I discovered it? Well, when I was new to PS!, I didn't know how to create teams. So, I decided to visit Smogon after a few suggestions. It wasn't until about a year later that I actually joined! I will most likely end up staying, just because it catches my interest more than sitting around. Obviously, there will be breaks from time to time, but it is ideal for me to stay. n_n

From a google search for a beginner guide to competitive Pokemon. I read a couple different ones, but liked the Smogon guide best, so I signed up here. I also liked that the community has its own guidelines and battles and such, and isn't just for discussion.

I came to Smogon during X/Y to find a way of battling that woukd be fair. As a kid I always played with a house rule of "No Legendaries". Thats evolved now to playing in tiers from Smogon. The community here seems really nice and knowledgable, and I would love to be a part of it. I joined these forums to find others to learn from and battle. Thanks for listening~

After X and Y brought me back into Pokémon I watched a lot of YouTubers who always talked about Smogon Tiers. At that time i did not know what that meant so after a quick search I found Pokémon Showdown and enjoyed playing it. However I never was sure whether or not I should join the community / the forums but after learning and playing a lot on Showdown I wanted to experience the Tournament scene and so here I am.

I used to play pokemon a lot(on my NDS),and i eventually got to know about competitive battling and EV training through my friends. I found about this community, and i got into discussions about pokemon and tierings and stuff like that. After that,I made an account here! n_n

Ace

ᴅ ᴇ ᴀ ᴅ
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I stumbled upon Smogon during the DPP era, was trying to find a place where I could learn about competitive battling.

I registered only last year though, because I was told to by a friend on PS. :)
I'm not all that active here but so far its been a blast!

I was brought to Smogon when I started competitive Pokemon back in BW and was looking for a good competitive pokedex. My friends told me to check out Smogon and it's been my go to source for sets on Pokemon. I really didn't join the Forums til recently because I've had a bad experience with Forums in the past, but it's nice to see that I've encountered no such thing yet and i'm definitely enjoying my time here.

SuperRyan249

Banned deucer.
I recently realised that Pokemon Showdown! had a side website called Smogon. I looked at the forums and thought it would be a great way to share ideas and just chat.

In a nutshell, I just came to smogon to get competitive battling help because I almost always lose online in the actual games or showdown, despite being a fan since red/blue

I first actually created an account back in Feb. of 2015, but never really got into showdown until November of this year. I want to get more involved with the community, become a better trainer, and learn from others. Hopefully I can get to know some of y'all and possibly contribute to others as far as team building and battling goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)