Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot

Just did the calc for it. Without any HP and SPDef investment it's a garunteed OHKO! Bulls on parade!

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 400-473 (120.8 - 142.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
assuming this was an offencive mence its an easy OHKO. However i did some calcs for a bulky megamence (its not that common but it pops up every now and then).

100+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 32 SpD Mega Salamence: 307-364 (77.9 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
But since it did KO your MegaMence was fully offencive so it was an easy KO.

Just saw these two unique/weird sets recently on battlespot:

Electrode @ Red Card was running either Timid or Naive nature:

Screech
Taunt
Explosion
Thunder

Smeargle @ Salac Berry was running either Timid or Jolly nature:

Spore
Substitute
Spider Web
Perish Song

Primeape @ ChoiceScarf
Ability (Defiant)
EVs (Most likely 252 attack/252 speed)
Nature (Either Jolly or Adamant)
- Ice Punch
- ?_(Close Combat)
- ?_(Stone Edge)
- ?_(Earthquake)
*I wouldn't classify this set as a gimmick but more as a creative set*
About two days ago I was testing pokemon sets as always on Singles and faced yet another opponent. So the match starts off, I throw out my Landorus-Therian and my opponent sends his Primeape.
I then realize I'm up against a defiant Primeape seeing as he gets his attack boosted to 1.5 after being intimidated by Landorus. I then use U-Turn with Landorus to make a safe switch out until I get bopped by an Ice Punch! Keep in mind that I ran an Adamant 252 speed Landorus-Therian@Choice Scarf as well. So he wins with speed there and I then proceeded to kill it off with Zard Y's air slash; still getting hit by ice punch. Nonetheless it was quite a thing to see and it sure caught me off guard.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Primeape @ ChoiceScarf
Ability (Defiant)
- Ice Punch
- ?_(Close Combat)
- ?_(Stone Edge)
- ?_(Earthquake)
About two days ago I was testing pokemon sets as always on Singles and faced yet another opponent. So the match starts off, I throw out my Landorus-Therian and my opponent sends his Primeape.
I then realize I'm up against a defiant Primeape seeing as he gets his attack boosted to 1.5 after being intimidated by Landorus. I then use U-Turn with Landorus to make a safe switch out until I get bopped by an Ice Punch! Keep in mind that I ran an Adamant 252 speed Landorus-Therian@Choice Scarf as well. So he wins with speed there and I then proceeded to kill it off with Zard Y's air slash; still getting hit by ice punch. Nonetheless it was quite a thing to see and it sure caught me off guard.
It was probably running Close Combat for STAB, U-turn to get out of a bad lead matchup, and Final Gambit to destroy something that it can't do too much to. Actually seems like an interesting set to try, Primeape has useable speed and attack and a nice movepool..

It was probably running Close Combat for STAB, U-turn to get out of a bad lead matchup, and Final Gambit to destroy something that it can't do too much to. Actually seems like an interesting set to try, Primeape has useable speed and attack and a nice movepool..
I doubt it has Final Gambit, Primeape doesn't have a very impressive HP to be using that move. It'd probably run gunk for fairies or maybe EQ to catch aegi switchins.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I doubt it has Final Gambit, Primeape doesn't have a very impressive HP to be using that move. It'd probably run gunk for fairies or maybe EQ to catch aegi switchins.
Who knows, he could have been fully invested in HP to beef up Final Gambit. The only info we have to go on is that he OHKO'd 4 / 0 Def Lando at +1. According to my calcs, +1 0 Atk Primeape OHKO's 252 / 4 Def Lando 100% of the time! 252 HP gives you enough to OHKO uninvested base 97 HP mons and lower, which combined with a Scarf allows you to get rid of a lot of annoying things

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
double post what you gonna do about it

So I just got hold of a flawless bold, non-Pokeball Porygon so figured I may as well use its popular Trace set here since I've never actually run P2 myself (only had the pleasure of facing it) and went to check the PGL stats to see what they're running these days and came across this...
P2 items.png

Apparently there's one genius running around with an un-Trick-able / un-Knock Off-able Porygon2! I can kinda understand stuff like Soothe Bell and Lucky Egg as mistakenly being left on after training (maybe the Everstone was left on after taking it out of the Day Care? Or someone was training a physically offensive P2 and forgot to take off the Power Band?), and Specs / Scarf / Life Orb / Expert Belt being used by people who still haven't quite got the grasp of how P2 should be used, but Manectite..? What explains that? When does someone accidentally put a random Mega Stone on something? I mean maybe they were transferring their Manectite from XY over to ORAS via their Porygon2, and then hastily went and entered it in Battle Spot? I hope that's the reason

double post what you gonna do about it

So I just got hold of a flawless bold, non-Pokeball Porygon so figured I may as well use its popular Trace set here since I've never actually run P2 myself (only had the pleasure of facing it) and went to check the PGL stats to see what they're running these days and came across this...

Apparently there's one genius running around with an un-Trick-able / un-Knock Off-able Porygon2! I can kinda understand stuff like Soothe Bell and Lucky Egg as mistakenly being left on after training (maybe the Everstone was left on after taking it out of the Day Care? Or someone was training a physically offensive P2 and forgot to take off the Power Band?), and Specs / Scarf / Life Orb / Expert Belt being used by people who still haven't quite got the grasp of how P2 should be used, but Manectite..? What explains that? When does someone accidentally put a random Mega Stone on something? I mean maybe they were transferring their Manectite from XY over to ORAS via their Porygon2, and then hastily went and entered it in Battle Spot? I hope that's the reason
Even more stupid... Manectite can be Knocked Off Porygon2.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's bound to show up when you're talking about a Pokemon that pretty much only has one viable item, especially if it's the item that actually makes it viable at all. I wouldn't say they're "infected with crap" 'cause when over 99% of players are using the single good item, strange fringe choices that make no sense are guaranteed to show up. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if those people did it just for a laugh, knowing that they'd get it to show on the top 10 most used items. It's fun to think about, maybe I'll try to make Full Restore Kangaskhan a thing!

It's bound to show up when you're talking about a Pokemon that pretty much only has one viable item, especially if it's the item that actually makes it viable at all. I wouldn't say they're "infected with crap" 'cause when over 99% of players are using the single good item, strange fringe choices that make no sense are guaranteed to show up. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if those people did it just for a laugh, knowing that they'd get it to show on the top 10 most used items. It's fun to think about, maybe I'll try to make Full Restore Kangaskhan a thing!
Don't you need a specific rating for that though?

Lum Berry khan was 1.2% in season 1 of oras double. In the replay I managed to get off of stalking the global ladder accounts until I finally found a public 1 with a replay code of 2 top 10 globally ranked players. 1 Khan had chople berry and the other had Lum Berry. 1.2% usage. Top 10 Globally rated players late in the season
Dig it!

edit: I don't remember the chople usage percent so rather than spit out an arbitrary number, I just not gonna mention it. Maybe higher or lower idk.

Primeape @ ChoiceScarf
Ability Defiant
- Ice Punch
- ?_(Close Combat)
- ?_(Stone Edge)
- ?_(Earthquake)

i been using scarf primeape for a while

Primeape @ ChoiceScarf
Ability Defiant
EVs 4hp/252 attack/252 speed)
Nature :Adamant
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Basicaly point of it is getting intimidated and get rid of gyarados, landorus-t,salamence switch ins
It does its job quite well just dont expect it take hits

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think so, you might be getting that mixed up with the way Smogon uses Showdown! stats. Besides, when you think about it, it's unlikely people are getting high rankings with those strange item choices!
You need a 1600 rating to get your usage to count on PGL.

But yeah, some people use joke items for the lulz on pokemon with one viable item, like Nugget Mawile, power item Chansey and Khan, even Diancienite Pikachu.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's the first I've heard of it too, but I think it makes sense. Whenever I look at the usage stats I'm usually surprised there's barely any garbage being used.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ayy DragonWhale, how you know about that 1600 rating nonsense?
On the first day of the season 9 XY, there were only 2 people above 1600 on the special ladder, and only 6 pokemon's stats were listed (and only once). On the rotation ladder, nobody was above 1600 and no information was posted. From there, people figured out that the requirement to get your stats on PGL was a battle between two people with a rating of at least 1600.

Before then it was mentioned in the information section that the data is gathered from battles between two high ranking players, but didn't mention a definitive rating.

Last edited:
I remember when I was first exploring competitive battling I ran into an Arbok. I don't know why, but it was doing fine own its own. The results it gave me was shocking because it started to defeat other pokemon in time. Also, once it defeated the first pokemon taking down the others was easy.

Here is the set I used:

The King Takes the Throne

Arbok (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 HP / 104 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stockpile
- Rest
- Toxic
- Infestation

Item: Chesto Berry for Rest so it can sleep for the night.
Ability: Intimidate all of his enemies so they can bow down to him.
EVs: Just to have all around bulk. You change it up depending on your preference.
Nature: Thanks to your ability you can invest all your time into SpD with out worry.
Moveset: Stockpile to get your defense ready. Rest so you can prepare for the next day. Toxic and Infestation to take your opponents down.

Overall: This pokemon has done well for me in the past and I hope the people reading this will use this set in the future. Also this pokemon is ranked NU so you can surprise some people while battling with Arbok.

Beware: Watch out for these threats because they can threatened Arbok.

PSYCHIC TYPES
GROUND TYPES
POKEMON WITH HIGH SpA
ANTI-SETUP POKEMON

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Played against a 1900 rated Japanese player using this, guess it qualifies for this thread?

Garchomp @ Light Ball ?_?
Probably using the standard 252/252 Jolly EV spread

- Fling
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- ? (either Stealth Rock or Outrage I guess)

Was paired with Glalie, which makes it even more interesting. I guess it allows you to get your Substitute up more easily n_n (it still lost because I sold my soul to the RNG)

(I have seen it all now...)

Breloom @ Keiba Berry / Petaya Berry
Assuming 252 Atk
- Natural Gift
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- ???

Alright so the story begins I decided to play with Whimsicott again in Battle Spot Singles to annoy the crap out of my opponents. I saw that they had a Breloom and a Virzion. So I was thinking, it would be a perfect time to put Whimsicott in the battle because I had Moonblast as well and that it'll be able to deal with the both of them. So the battle starts and I figured they would have Breloom lead because of Focus Sash Spore set, so I had Whimsicott out first as well. They switched Breloom out and had Talonflame come in. I used Moonblast expecting a Spore. Then I swapped out and went into Tyranitar to take a hit from Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. They switched out Talonflame back into Breloom to take a Stone Edge. I then swapped T-tar out back into Whimsciott expecting a Spore or a Mach Punch. Pretty much they predicted me to switch back. But what I saw shocked me...this thing has revealed the move Natural Gift to me and at first I was thinking to myself, "What kind of moveset are you running on this thing?" Then I was thinking, "Okay, no pressure. This might be some not very effective move or a terrible berry they have on Breloom (Then again this was around 1500s). After the animation was over and heard that super effective sound and my Whimsciott fainted, I was dumbfounded. ?_____?

I decided to run some calcs after encountering that and I saw:

252 Atk Petaya Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 184-220 (110.1 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Petaya Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 204-240 (122.1 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Kebia Berry Breloom Natural Gift (80 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 148-176 (88.6 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Kebia Berry Breloom Natural Gift (80 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 160-192 (95.8 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

I would say that Breloom used one of these two berries on me. To be honest this does spark my interest because Breloom can hit Fairy- and Grass-types for super effective damage. Well, I guess that's one way to deal with a type you have issues with. But that really threw me off for the rest of the match. Hmm...it might be beneficial for some Pokemon. I remember someone mentioning Azumarill and Watmel Berry as something to use against Steel-types. That was pretty creative.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
(I have seen it all now...)

Breloom @ Keiba Berry / Petaya Berry
Assuming 252 Atk
- Natural Gift
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- ???

Alright so the story begins I decided to play with Whimsicott again in Battle Spot Singles to annoy the crap out of my opponents. I saw that they had a Breloom and a Virzion. So I was thinking, it would be a perfect time to put Whimsicott in the battle because I had Moonblast as well and that it'll be able to deal with the both of them. So the battle starts and I figured they would have Breloom lead because of Focus Sash Spore set, so I had Whimsicott out first as well. They switched Breloom out and had Talonflame come in. I used Moonblast expecting a Spore. Then I swapped out and went into Tyranitar to take a hit from Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. They switched out Talonflame back into Breloom to take a Stone Edge. I then swapped T-tar out back into Whimsciott expecting a Spore or a Mach Punch. Pretty much they predicted me to switch back. But what I saw shocked me...this thing has revealed the move Natural Gift to me and at first I was thinking to myself, "What kind of moveset are you running on this thing?" Then I was thinking, "Okay, no pressure. This might be some not very effective move or a terrible berry they have on Breloom (Then again this was around 1500s). After the animation was over and heard that super effective sound and my Whimsciott fainted, I was dumbfounded. ?_____?

I decided to run some calcs after encountering that and I saw:

252 Atk Petaya Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 184-220 (110.1 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Petaya Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 204-240 (122.1 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Kebia Berry Breloom Natural Gift (80 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 148-176 (88.6 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Kebia Berry Breloom Natural Gift (80 BP Poison) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 160-192 (95.8 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

I would say that Breloom used one of these two berries on me. To be honest this does spark my interest because Breloom can hit Fairy- and Grass-types for super effective damage. Well, I guess that's one way to deal with a type you have issues with. But that really threw me off for the rest of the match. Hmm...it might be beneficial for some Pokemon. I remember someone mentioning Azumarill and Watmel Berry as something to use against Steel-types. That was pretty creative.
Talonflame is probably the most prominent Natural Gift user with a Liechi Berry. It gives it a 100BP Grass Move to use against Rotom-W and Tyranitar, and also has the benefit of being able to run Acrobatics alongside it, as well as granting an attack boost if you get low on health and actually activate the berry! Salac (100BP Fighting, +speed) and Apicot (100BP Ground, +SpD) can also be used get either Tyranitar or Heatran on their 4x weakness respectively (and the other with a regular 2x, so whichever is more troublesome), but leave you weak to Rotom-W who is way more popular and don't have the same great side effect that Liechi provides if you need that instead.

Liechi:
  • 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 64-76 (40.7 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 88-104 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 88-104 (70.4 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can finish off with Brave Bird / Flare Blitz after)
  • +2 252+ Atk Liechi Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 126-150 (80.2 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (so you can muscle past if you run Swords Dance and already have a boost)
Salac:
  • 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 132-156 (75.4 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (pretty good chance to KO if Ttar comes in on a Brave Bird. If they come in as you Swords Dance, then:)
  • +2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 200-236 (96.6 - 114%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 88-104 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 88-104 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • +2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 174-206 (87.8 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 174-206 (104.8 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Apicot:
  • 252+ Atk Apicot Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Ground) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 176-208 (88.8 - 105%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Apicot Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Ground) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 176-208 (106 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Apicot Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Ground) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 66-78 (37.7 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (not much better than U-turn at 26-32%)
  • +2 252+ Atk Apicot Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Ground) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 130-154 (74.2 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I can't think of any other notable Natural Gift users off the top of my head but it has some potential as a move. Watmel Berry Azumarill sounds pretty funny actually, too bad he doesn't learn it in gen VI (it's a gen IV TM) meaning you can only use it in XY Battle Spot...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)