Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You ever just go on Wi-Fi, hop in a game, and think you have a game sealed up by the matchup of your team vs. your opponent's? ...Until they just do something incredibly weird that you know wouldn't work in most cases, but it pretty much just saved them here? Well, I'm sure that's happened to all of us (or at least a good number of us) and most players (Not even just Japanese from my experience) can and will do this to you at times.

So I plan to use this thread to index weird sets that we've seen just for the sake of knowing about them, or in case they end up being a very popular thing to use in another nation. Or heck, maybe you feel like being "that guy" and using it yourself? Whatever the reason, just inquire within. Sets will be added to the OP in this format:

Pokemon @ Item
Ability (Only fill this in if you have a pretty strong hunch, or leave blank)
EVs (If you have a good estimate of what they could be, feel free to input. Or leave blank otherwise)
Nature (If you know it, or at least have a good idea of what they're running, fill this in)
- Move
- Move
- Move
- Move
(Known moves just have to be filled in mainly. Unknown moves can be left blank or estimated based on what the Pokemon was. If you're not totally sure, just leave a question mark next to it)

Would also help to describe maybe what your experience with the Pokemon was. What you did or had up against them and/or how it managed to pull the rug out from under you, that kinda thing. Or even show a link to a video? Do whatever ya wanna.

Like for example, I actually just faced this today:

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk
- Quick Attack (?)
- Return/X-Scissor (?)

What this Pinsir did, it actually switched straight in on my Breloom's Spore move and Mega Evolved after I put it to sleep. I thought I was home free, right? About to get that juicy OHKO with Rock Tomb? Nope. Sleep Talk. I got hit with an Earthquake. And even though Breloom resisted Earthquake, it broke its Focus Sash to allow a Noivern to kill it off later and pretty much give them the game. If the Pinsir didn't have Sleep Talk, I would've had my sash intact and the match would have gone...a little bit differently. :\

But yeah, like I said, feel free to post any other..."creative" sets you've faced here! I'll add them into the OP, and sort them out if this thread gets big enough

Piloswine @ ? (Eviolite?)
Nature: ? (Defense boosting one, most likely)
EVs: ? (Most likely 252 HP/252 Def)
Ability: Thick Fat?
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-?
-?

Used by someone in the high 1600s, JP player. He led with it, and set up SR first and then spammed Roar until it died. Probably because I had a Talonflame on my team, which I did bring and effectively neutered it. If not for a Focus Miss by his Charizard Y on my Mega Mom, I would have lost.

Blissey @ Expert Belt
Nature: ? (Modest probably)
EVs: ? (252 HP/252 SpA?)
Ability: Serene Grace?
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Soft-Boiled

Would have royally screwed me over had I not Frisked it with Noivern. Hits surprisingly hard, and has enough bulk to live a lot of special attacks. Used by a JP player in the mid 1600s. I forget how I killed it, but it involved a lot of just hitting it and it using Soft Boiled.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Nature: Modest or Timid
EVs: ? (At least 252 SpA)
Ability: Intimidate
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast
-?
-?

Special Gyarados. Haven't seen one in ages. and it took me by surprise. Was able to beat it though with a Rotom-W and some careful switching. Used by a JP player in the 1600s.

Arbok @ Choice Scarf
Nature:?
EVs:?
-Switcheroo
-Glare
-Gastro Acid
-?

Used by a JP player in Free Battle, but I put it here as an example of random stuff you could see. Paired with a weird CM Gothitelle and an Arcanine. He led with it, and used Switcheroo on my lead Greninja, which confused me, but I wasn't gonna complain about a Choice Scarf Greninja while he got Focus Sash which got broken by U-Turn. Switched to Kangaskhan, but it Glared me and then Gastro Acid'd me, which was really surprising. Neutered my Kanga, but I won in the end thanks to Hippowdon revenging Arcanine, and Gothitelle not OHKOing my Bug Greninja even with +3 Thunderbolt.
A very strange set imo is Special Tyranitar, even though it seems to be the standard right now. It's something like

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry/Shuca Berry/Focus Sash
Nature: Modest?
EVs: ?
Ability: Sand Stream
-Stealth Rock
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Toxic
- Roar
- Protect

Basically this guy just poisoned things on my team and let the damage rack up between sand and Toxic damage. I actually almost got past it and won, but it surprised me with a Roar that brought in my Crawdaunt who subsequently died to sand + poison damage (since it got poisoned beforehand and stalled down to a narrow shred of HP) He also ran Protect on his Mega Lucario, which is somewhat understandable yet at the same time could go in conjunction with stalling crap out after being Toxic shuffled around a bit

Video: BSQG-WWWW-WWW4-QFSP

Reuniclus @ Life Orb / Other item(?)
Nature: A SpD+ nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD (probably)
Ability: Overcoat
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball (Assumed)

It gives up LO recoil and immunity to passive damage for the ability to completely bypass Sleep moves and counter the shit out of Venusaur and certain Special Attackers.
More than just a set, this is already a team built around all the Pokemon to support it.

Meowstic-M @ Leftovers
? (Bulky nature)
? (Bulky spread on both defenses)

Substitute
Calm Mind
Assist
Psychic

This set is really annoying. Faced this set twice (both used by Japs) and never won against it. The deal is that this guy will carry this Meowstic and Pokemon which know spore. Prankster Assist-Spore is the big problem here and it seems these guys do not believe in sleep clause. it seems that the only way to beat this strategy is to bring an Insomnia Honchkrow.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Contrary
Bulky spread, obviously

Infestation
Mud Slap
Rest
Sleep Talk

This thing is pure evil if you can't 1 or 2hko it. Against set up sweepers it's probably more of a nuisance than anything, but I was running mostly bulky offensive pokemon like Arcanine so it was able to sap away half my team, slowly and painfully.

An extremely Stallish Shuckle:
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold or Calm
Ability: Contrary
- Shell Smash
- Rest
- Power Split
- Infestation

I fought against a Japanese 1400's. It took a really long time to destroy his defenses (good thing my Aegislash carries Sacred Sword!) and play around with Power Swap. What this guy did was that after I KOed his Fufrou and switched into Chestnaught (I thought I can wall him), he proceeded to Shell Smash. I leech seeded the Shuckle, but it then used infestation. I couldn't do much damage against it, and I have to bear how long Infestation ends. When it ended, I switched into Aegislash and finally Koed it. Maybe it's meant for time stall as a last resort?
Hate double posting, but I actually ran into this weird Raikou today, and I'm not entirely sure of its purpose, but it's definitely not your standard-issue Raikou:

Raikou @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe (?)
Rash Nature (It was shiny, the event that gives out Shiny Raikou forced it to be Rash)
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Roar

Like I said, not entirely sure what the Raikou's purpose was, but it just set up screens. Probably was to help something else sweep, but the battle we had didn't quite allow that scenario to play out...I also saved the video: 7ZEW-WWWW-WWW4-48PZ

I got wrecked by this golem a while back actually:
Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Adamant/Jolly (Probably)
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed? (probably)
Earthquake
Autotomize
??? (Stone Edge?)
???

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs (Was forced to swap out to change moves)
Chlorophyll / Infiltrator (Prankster seems extremely unlikely due to choice item)
Timid/Modest
252SPA 252SPE (can only assume)
- Energy Ball
- Moon Blast
- ?
- ?

Never imagined an attacking Whimsicott........

Hawlucha @ Rocky Helmet
Limber
Impish
252 HP 252 Def
Acrobatics
Hi Jump Kick
Roost
Featherdance.........

I kid you not, defensive Hawlucha against some JPN kid. I had nothing but physical attacker (Scarf Haxorus, Garchomp, and something else.)
You can only imagine how fun that battle was.
I've seen that somewhat interesting set on BS - Single Battles.

Hawlucha @ Focus Sash
Trait: Unburden
Nature : dunno (Adamant/Jolly?) EVs : ???/??? (252 Attack/252 Speed?)
~Hi Jump Kick
~Acrobatics
~Swords Dance
~not used (Poison Jab/Rock Slide I'd guess)

After some Sturdy/Explosion shenanigans from some Rock 'mon OHKOing my first team member, I was using my Galvantula for the first time in a while and OHKOing the opposite Pokémon with Thunder, then the Poké-Wrestler came along.
I tought it would be easy winning ; fat chance.

The Hawlucha hung on using its Focus Sash, doubling its Speed thanks to Unburden activating and used Sword Dance, then OHKOed Galv with Acrobatics, then destroyed with HJK the 252 HP / 252 Def Aggron (!) I was carrying to test a Curse set.

That little wrestler can be scary sometimes, tho you could blame me for forgetting to pack priority on the team I used.

chimecho
EVs probably specially defensive
Nature calm?
- trick room
- psychic
- recover
- healing wish

When the opponent cam out with this, I laughed. but somehow, it just destroyed a good chunk of my hp, and ended up healing his vaporeon just before it fainted.

I came across this very unique Togekiss set being used by a random Japanese player the other day.

Togekiss @ Life Orb
EVs: 252HP / ?
Nature: ?
Ability: Hustle
-Extreme Speed
-Follow Me
-Psych Up
-?

It was being used in a trick room team. The guy led with your basic Fake Out + Trick Room combo. His last two mon's are when things got weird; he had a Snorlax paired with a Togekiss and managed to pull off a Belly Drum with his Snorlax and then Psych Up to copy the + 6 attack on Togekiss. Then he tried to sweep the rest of my team with +6 Life Orb Hustle boosted Extreme Speeds. Really cool strategy in my opinion although I did end up winning in the end. Had Togekiss remained a Normal type and got STAB on Extreme Speed this guy would have definitely come out on top though...

Just lost to the following set rofl

Haxorus @ Brightpowder
Ability: Rivalry
-Substitute
-Guillotine
-Dual Chop
-Earthquake

I lost my Mega Kanga to it after I missed twice with Return while it got a sub up, and then missed again with Weavile in an attempt to break the sub then KO. Replay code here i'm still loling. J49W-WWWW-WWW2-52CT
Lol I can't believe this got me:

Leafeon @ ?
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def (?)
Impish (?) Nature
Ability: Leaf Guard/Chlorophyll
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Yawn
- Baton Pass

Self-explanatory how it works, it Yawned my Reuniclus and set up some Swords Dances. I wasn't able to really beat it, and it took a +1 Psyshock fairly easily earlier. Once it got to +4, it Baton Passed to an Azumarill and cleaned house. Not a very practical set in general, but it's able to put something out of the match with its bulk and the surprise factor from Yawn, and get a boost to a partner with ease.
I ran into a guy with this Swoobat:

Swoobat @ Leftovers

Nature: Probably something like Modest or Timid, but it could even have been something like Calm or Bold.
Ability: Simple
- Double Team
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power

He pretty much set up a sub as I switched out from my Krookodile (He was locked into earthquake) and then kept spamming double team until he had max evasion, and then calm mind until he had plenty of Special Attack and Special Defense, and of course I missed ice beam with my Empoleon every single time that he boosted too. After getting max in evasion while behind a sub, he used Stored Power and OHKOd my Empoleon, and then when I sent out my Fearow (Don't ask why i'm using a Fearow, just go with it.) finished boosting to get max Special Attack and Special Defense while I was asleep, then fainted my Fearow, but then, when I sent out my Krook, he couldn't do anything to it because he only had Stored Power as an attacking move. (lol) So I just kept spamming Crunch until I got lucky enough to hit twice in a row and faint it. I would say that it's a dumb set, but it almost beat me, so i'm not going to. It was infuriatingly obnoxious though, man I hate when people use evasion as a tactic.

Here's the battle video code: 3FKW-WWWW-WWW4-N77G
Also this person made a stupid mistake in being very greedy with their Scraggy, which ended up leading to its own demise.

An unexpected, but clever, Gliscor set. Ends stall with grace and poise. Faced this yesterday and he just OHKOes my Weaknite on the second guillotine attempt.

Gliscor @ toxic orb
Poison Heal
Impish Nature (assumed)
252hp 252 def (assumed)

~protect
~earthquake
~guillotine
~(?) must be toxic
And now, a good and functional, but still weird, set.

Uxie @ rocky helmet
bold nature (?)

~stealth rock
~memento
~yawn
~(?)

This thing set up SR while memento'ing my scizor and bringing in Mega Lucario after memento. I lost miserably with no way of recovering, because my 2 last pokémon were sr weak.
I finally have a strange moveset proper.

Greninja @ Red Card
Protean
Power Up Punch
Toxic
?
?

I'm not completely sure what the set was, as I defeated the Greninja first (but I lost the match).

I didn't have a really good special wall, so I always have to play around Greninja. I had out Rocky Helmet Furfrou (my Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Mawile counter), Reuniclus, and I think Moody Octillery. The idea was to use Power Up Punch to uh. . .power up? Toxic was both to poison walls and to block enemy Toxics (which is really all Furfrou can do). It fainted, but it did its job.

i came across a pretty crazy trevenant set today
trevenant
evs: id say 252/hp/252 att/4 def/0spe
ability frisk
trick room
wood hammer
destiny bond
last move unknown

It was used in a trick room team in conjunction with megaagroon as well as immunity snorlax which seems to be very popular amongst the japs team was the nuts though ive been using basically my interpretation of the trevenant now with the addition of shadow claw to great results thought it was pretty interesting

i assume the item used was a focus sash since it was used to lead
This threw me off guard:

Azumarrill @ Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVS: 252 HP / ?

- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- ?? (Most likely Whirlpool)

Yes....Sap Sipper.

This was part of a perish trapping team I faced on Free Battle. Teammates were Perish Trapping/Hex/Will-O-Wisp Gengar, and a standard Breloom. I switched in my Tangrowth on Azu, went for a Sleep Powder and stared at my 3DS dumbfounded when I saw SAP SIPPER as it's ability.
I'm not sure if this qualifies as weird, but a while ago I got owned by a Sap Sipper Perish Song Azumarill with Gothitelle in doubles x_x
sap sipper'd hahaha, this is hilarious. Unexpected, weak, sure. But can turn the tide of the battle.

This is a personal weird set of mine, works well against protecters and set-uppers

Persian @ Focus Sash
Technician
252 atk/252 speed/4hp

~taunt
~foul play (I wanted knock off D: but I'll have to wait until pokébank (D:)
~feint
~flail

Flail has caught so many opponents unaware it's not even funny. This sets shits over Driftblim and other setuppers like Smeargle. For those wanting to net a free kill, flail.
This dude was a nightmare to play against, and I had lost my special attacker a little too early in the match. Thankfully my Ferrothorn stalled him out of resources.

Avalugg @ Weakness Policy
Ability: unknown (Sturdy? Own tempo?)
252 Hp / 252 def? / sdef? it might have some spdef on it because of curse.
Nature: ? could be careful or impish

~curse
~avalanche
~earthquake
~recover

Simple and necessary.
Ran into some funky Stunfisk set:

Stunfisk @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def(?) / 4 SpD
Bold(?) Nature
- Fissure
- Yawn
- Rest(?)
- Thunderbolt/Discharge(???)

Not entirely sure of the last two moves but this Stunfisk had survived a Bullet Seed from my Breloom (I only hit twice) and used Yawn, which forced me to switch. Upon sending in something else, it went for Fissure, which made me almost freak out, had it not missed. I wasn't able to see the last two moves it had, but after KOing it with Crawdaunt's Knock Off, I noticed it had Chesto Berry (and I also got paralyzed by Static) so I was thinking it may or may not have had Rest in the moveset somewhere. Either way it's another surprise bulky Pokemon packing those OHKO moves on Battle Spot

Video: DFWW-WWWW-WWW5-6X5U
Since Issues traded me an Impostor Ditto yesterday, I decided to check out what silly things were on the Battle Spot. Nothing was unusual until I ran into a Japanese player with this team:

Girafarig @ ?
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 HP(or Speed?)
Modest/Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Ice/Fighting?)
Mirror Coat
Psychic

Yamask @ Eviolite
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def(or SpD?)
Bold/Calm(?) Nature
Will O Wisp
Trick Room
Night Shade
Pain Split

Delibird @ Choice Scarf (won a speed tie with my Scarfed Ditto)
Trait: Hustle/Vital Spirit
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Aerial Ace
Destiny Bond
Ice Punch
Brick Break

I do not play to "win" per se with my joke team (Ditto, Wobbuffet, something else in 3rd slot), mainly to observe their moveset. That, and forcing people to look at lipstick Wobbuffet is funny to me. :)

EDIT: I ran into a German player with a variant on the Curselax set:

Snorlax @ ? (Probably Sitrus Berry) (Brobat edit: Or Chesto Berry)
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP (?)
Adamant Nature
Curse
Rest
Amnesia
Double Edge

You don't see double boosting Snorlax all that often, so I thought I'd give it a mention.
Also, ran into my first Seismic Toss Kangaskhan today, but it was a bit different from what I was expecting:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast(?)

I was expecting your standard one with Sucker Punch, Fake Out, Return, EQ, blahblahblah until I saw it 2HKO my Slowbro with Shadow Ball. Heck of a good way to get around all the physically defensive Rocky Helmet users/Intimidate users out there since the coverage lets it beat most of them you'd run into (Mawile, Gyarados, Slowbro, Ferrothorn, etc.) while still doing fixed damage with Seismic Toss. Definitely creative, but definitely a pain to deal with when you expect the standard one to come up. Heck I think even 'standard' Seismic Toss Kangaskhan runs Wish and some other stuff... Video: T4FG-WWWW-WWW5-94PA
Lol this kangaskhan

Modest 252SpA 252spe/HP?
-sub
-shadow ball
-drain punch
-unknown, maybe pup or another coverage move

we both lead with our own respective kangaskhan
i switched in gourgeist while it drain punched
it hit me with a shadow ball which did over half while i went for leech seed
then it subs up on my wow and killed me with another shadow ball after i protected once for a bit more leech seed damage.

I brought back in my own kanga who hadnt evolved, still outspeeded and took it out with my double seismic toss.

Vanilluxe @ Weakness Policy
Trait: Weak Armor
Ev's some hp, max satk, some speed
Modest Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Ice Shard
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire (or fighting)

Weird enough, but powerful sp attack leaves nothing to be desired. Breaks sashes with Ice Shard.
If you manage to get the weak armor buff, that's a nice bonus that often seal games.

bonus video code: FMJG-WWWW-WWW5-9ELM
Not too sure whether this is actually common... But I ran across this annoying Japanese Quagsire today that is designed to really annoy physical attackers that cannot OHKO/2HKO it. Luckily my Volcarona killed it on a critical hit...

Quagsire (Rocky Helmet, presumably Unaware)
EVs and nature: ??? (Can these be scouted by Imposter Ditto? If so, how?)
- Infestation
- Yawn
- Stockpile
- Recover
And I battled this weird set today, and won. I must admit it was the 1st time I faced a Zoroark like this. I call this set "Twofold Zoroark".

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Illusion
Timid/Naive
252 speed, the rest split into atk and satk, I presume.

- protect
- counter
- sucker punch
- ? (night daze or other coverage move)

Why Twofold Zoroark? Because it defeats both faster and slower, bulkier physical threats. Against faster threats it protects and proceeds to sash counter, and against slower mons it just counters or uses the last move available to try to 2hko or ohko. Sucker Punch against faster opponents with sash. My opponent started with a Medicham, then it used protect. Much to his dismay I u-turned on the second turn into my Aegislash, leaving the Zoroark with 1 hp and rendering his counter useless.

Blaziken @ Weakness Policy
Speed Boost
EVs: hp, Def, and speed enough to outrun most of the tier after a speed boost
Defensive Nature careful/impish

- substitute
- baton pass
- bulk up
- protect

This thing managed to survive a nonstab earthquake of mine and passed a bulkup and two speed boosts, and the weakness policy boost to a Mega Heracross. Mega Heracross has good coverage, it defeated me in a flash. I expected at least one attacking move, ffs.
IDK if this is popular on BS but I came across a Japanese player using a:

Swagnemite (LVL 1) @ Oran Berry
Sturdy
- Recycle
- Protect
- Endure
- Magic Coat

It PP stalled out my Chomp locked onto fireblast with Sturdy + Oran berry + Recycle combo and eventually I forfeited..
These Japanese people are crazy my god.
Want to add my Lapras? Been carrying me to victory this entire season and 18-2 day one of the Beta competition. Usually catches people off-guard and I LOVE it!

Pls2CUsaur (Lapras) @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature 6IV
EVs: 204HP/60 D/172 SpAttk/68 SpDef/4 Attk
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze Dry
- Ancient Power
- Ice Shard

IVs are something I am still playing around with. Been testing AV Lapras with success and I an a fan of it. Usually run Sitrus Berry.... but changed it up recently.
Had a Snorlax mirror-match yesterday. My Assault Vest Lax versus his....Metronome Lax? It was hilarious. I believe his set was:

Leftovers
-Metronome
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Body Slam

He Fire Spinned and then Thundered me, but I got lucky and hit three straight Power-Up Punches through paralysis.

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Last Resort

I ran into an Ambipom the other day, and the only moves it had on it were Fake Out and Last Resort. I assume these were its only moves, since you can only use Last Resort after all other moves have been used, and it used Fake Out right before. An extremely gimmicky set but it took me by surprise. The Ambipom was holding a Life Orb.
I saw the weirdest Kecleon set today on rating battle...

Kecleon @ Sitrus Berry
Protean

Toxic
Shadow Sneak
Recover
???

I led with my Mega Kangaskhan, they led with this Kecleon. Mega Evolved and used double Fake Out the first turn. I thought double Power-up Punch would be enough to take it out, and it would have been, if not for the random Sitrus Berry. Then they Toxic'd me. On the next turn, I don't know why I didn't just go for the Sucker Punch (I guess I was expecting the Protect) so I went for Return. But this Kecleon used Shadow Sneak, which of course didn't affect me, but because of Protean, my Return didn't affect IT either. So on the next turn, I really don't know what I was thinking this time, because I used Return again. I think my line of reasoning was that Kecleon was going to Protean-change to another type and I could hit it with Return again, but since I am faster that wouldn't have even worked, so I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was just shocked that I was getting owned by a Kecleon, so I wasn't thinking -_-

Anyway, Return didn't work (as is to be expected) but then Kecleon used Recover. At this point, Toxic damage is racking up. So now, I really did start thinking again, and I thought "Okay, my opponent probably doesn't expect me to have Sucker Punch, otherwise I would have used it by now. So the natural choice would be to Shadow Sneak to avoid the Return again." Which is exactly what happened. I KO'ed the Kecleon and breathed a sigh of relief.

Anyway, that's my little anecdote. But yeah, that set... I don't know if was meant to take on Mega Kangaskhan or not, but it was effective in this battle.
I've been seeing some weird things in Doubles...

Let's see...

Porygon 2
Download
- Return
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- ???

It nearly 2hkos Bold 252 HP/252 Def Blissey with +1 Return. O_o

I also just fought this Sylveon that had...

Sylveon (F)
Pixilate
- Quick Attack
- HP Fire/Ground
- Psyshock
- ??? (Hyper Voice?)

Finished off my Garchomp and Critblicked KOed my Mega Mawile.

In Singles once I remember...

Talonflame @ Shell Bell
- Taunt
- Will-o-wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Unfortunately for me I had brought Mawile/Blissey/Cresselia in that battle...

Talonflame
Nature and EVS:?????(Impish)
Rocky Helment (sometimes the Charti Berry)
-Will~O~Wisp
-Tuant
-Brave Bird
-Roost
I kid you not this set has and made me lose multiple games because I almost always brought my T-tar(D-dance set Chople Berry). Also my Weakness Policy Multiscale D-dance Dragonite(Won me multiple Battle Spot single battles). Due to Talonflame being naturally faster than a good portion of the meta game, Those two physical attackers were basically almost always crippled and if I got a d-dance up with Dragonite before this weird talonflame came in I was like good let's get the easy kill with Dragon Claw, but...NO! it lived with HALF ITS HP PEOPLE and Will-O-Wisped me and it won him/her the game because M-Kanga killed my lead focus sashed Jolteon so I lost all hope because we all know that T-tar is SLOW EVEN WITH JOLLY NATURE! And we all know why tuant was there!
I've seen a dude running this:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Defensive Nature
- Will-o-Wisp
- Roost
- Flame Charge
- ? (Outrage)

Preys on Charizard-Y's checks and counters.
So, I saw an very interesting set used by a Japanese player with a ranking of over 1900 in Doubles, that Im tempted to try out now.

Arcanine @ Leftovers
-Morning Sun
-Heat Wave
-Snarl
-Protect

The idea seemed to be to Snarl special attackers into obilivion, and use Morning Sun to stall stuff like Mega Charizard Y. Not sure how effective it is, and it probably does have competition with Mega Manectric, but screwing up some Mega Charizard Y, not using up a mega slot, and having recovery do sound like nice advantages. Also, the weaknesses to Water and Rock sound very annoying compared to Mega Manectric, but the player actually used it with Gastrodon, which provided some nice synergy. Gastrodon would Storm Drain away Rotom-W's Hydro Pumps, making it Snarl bait, and Arcanine could Heat Wave grass types (though maybe Fire Blast would be better to hit Mega Mawile and Venusaur harder). Just gotta watch out for Megazard Y Solarbeams I guess.
I got destroyed by someone using this

Espeon @ Choice Specs(?)
Ability: Magic Bounce
-Stored Power
-?
-?
-?

They baton passed a shell smash to Espeon, and I didn't have any priority to finish it off after it got hit switching in.
as I was trying to learn Doubles, I got confounded by this funky Electabuzz today:

Electabuzz (Female) @ ? (I have no idea what it was holding)
Trait: Vital Spirit/Static
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (I think it may be Modest...My Timid Charizard outran it, I believe)
- Thunderbolt
- Attract
- Thunder Wave
- ?

I managed to win, but this was just a weird set that caught me off-guard. Used Attract on my Aegislash (Why does a sword have a gender anyway) and then paralyzed it with Thunder Wave to basically have it incapacitated for an extra 3 turns. Not the most devastating set ever but it has the potential to be annoying because it just unexpectedly infatuates something of yours and then cripples it if at all possible.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
-Spore
-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Rock Tomb

Has anyone faced this before in singles? He paired this up with a hippopowdon whose only purpose is to yawn. It ended up being a battle with this Breloom vs my sleeping hippopowdon and sleeping azumarill. Even at +6, rock tomb was a 7hko at best against my hippopowdon.

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
(Jolly?, 252 Speed Evs)
-Counter
-Destiny Bond
-(?)Will-o-Wisp
-(?)

I was physical attacker heavy with a focus on Dragon Dancing Gyarados and Haxorus. Played some accuracy games to force a switch but got three free turns of set-up against his mons. 2HKO a Skarmory and was expecting a sweep when Houndoom showed up. Figured it had a Mega Stone so I went for the kill and got hit with a Counter.

Didn't know Houndoom also had Destiny Bond and was expecting a Willowisp on my remaining Haxorus so I went for a Façade (my JIC move) and got slapped with DB.

Last edited:
Might as well put some up here.

Piloswine @ ? (Eviolite?)
Nature: ? (Defense boosting one, most likely)
EVs: ? (Most likely 252 HP/252 Def)
Ability: Thick Fat?
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-?
-?

Used by someone in the high 1600s, JP player. He led with it, and set up SR first and then spammed Roar until it died. Probably because I had a Talonflame on my team, which I did bring and effectively neutered it. If not for a Focus Miss by his Charizard Y on my Mega Mom, I would have lost.

Blissey @ Expert Belt
Nature: ? (Modest probably)
EVs: ? (252 HP/252 SpA?)
Ability: Serene Grace?
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Soft-Boiled

Would have royally screwed me over had I not Frisked it with Noivern. Hits surprisingly hard, and has enough bulk to live a lot of special attacks. Used by a JP player in the mid 1600s. I forget how I killed it, but it involved a lot of just hitting it and it using Soft Boiled.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Nature: Modest or Timid
EVs: ? (At least 252 SpA)
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast
-?
-?

Special Gyarados. Haven't seen one in ages. and it took me by surprise. Was able to beat it though with a Rotom-W and some careful switching. Used by a JP player in the 1600s.

Arbok @ Choice Scarf
Nature:?
EVs:?
-Switcheroo
-Glare
-Gastro Acid
-?

Used by a JP player in Free Battle, but I put it here as an example of random stuff you could see. Paired with a weird CM Gothitelle and an Arcanine. He led with it, and used Switcheroo on my lead Greninja, which confused me, but I wasn't gonna complain about a Choice Scarf Greninja while he got Focus Sash which got broken by U-Turn. Switched to Kangaskhan, but it Glared me and then Gastro Acid'd me, which was really surprising. Neutered my Kanga, but I won in the end thanks to Hippowdon revenging Arcanine, and Gothitelle not OHKOing my Bug Greninja even with +3 Thunderbolt.

Looks like most JP players have a lot of weird sets.

Last edited:

Hill

ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day
is a Past WCoP Champion
A very strange set imo is Special Tyranitar, even though it seems to be the standard right now. It's something like

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry/Shuca Berry/Focus Sash
Nature: Modest?
Ability: Sand Stream
-Stealth Rock
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Dumbest thing i've ever seen in my life, but it works so well

Reuniclus @ Life Orb / Other item(?)
Nature: A SpD+ nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD (probably)
Ability: Overcoat
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball (Assumed)

It gives up LO recoil and immunity to passive damage for the ability to completely bypass Sleep moves and counter the shit out of Venusaur and certain Special Attackers.

More than just a set, this is already a team built around all the Pokemon to support it.

Meowstic-M @ Leftovers
? (Bulky nature)

Substitute
Calm Mind
Assist
Psychic

This set is really annoying. Faced this set twice (both used by Japs) and never won against it. The deal is that this guy will carry this Meowstic and Pokemon which know spore. Prankster Assist-Spore is the big problem here and it seems these guys do not believe in sleep clause. it seems that the only way to beat this strategy is to bring an Insomnia Honchkrow.

Meowstic-M @ Leftovers
? (Bulky nature)

Substitute
Calm Mind
Assist
Psychic

Or bring an Overcoat Mandibuzz.

What rating level did you encounter this set in? I've never seen it myself and I fight a lot of JP players.

Or bring an Overcoat Mandibuzz.

What rating level did you encounter this set in? I've never seen it myself and I fight a lot of JP players.
In the 1600'ish. Only encountered this twice (although I haven't played much yet). And it seems like that. 90% of the opponents I face there are Japs.

Meowstic-M @ Leftovers
? (Bulky nature)

Substitute
Calm Mind
Assist
Psychic

Would you be able to give a bit more info about the other pokemon in the teams and how battles typically went? Sounds like a pretty interesting strategy but I don't see how it could get past any team with a dark type, and assist would be gambling pretty hard unless the other pokemon in the team had no moves that could be called by assist except for spore? Although against a dark type it sounds like it would be a long drawn out fight... Does anyone know how a winner is decided if both teams have 3 pokemon alive when the timer ends? Or is it simply a tie and nobody gains points?

Would you be able to give a bit more info about the other pokemon in the teams and how battles typically went? Sounds like a pretty interesting strategy but I don't see how it could get past any team with a dark type, and assist would be gambling pretty hard unless the other pokemon in the team had no moves that could be called by assist except for spore? Although against a dark type it sounds like it would be a long drawn out fight... Does anyone know how a winner is decided if both teams have 3 pokemon alive when the timer ends? Or is it simply a tie and nobody gains points?
From the looks of what happened, it seems the guy had only Spore in his Poke's. Stayed with him for quite a while and never did Assist yield anything other than spore. Although for the timer part, never really had a long battle which lasted for 30 mins. Maybe they use the same formula back then in Pokemon Emerald's dojo-ish battle facility? Just making a guess.

From the looks of what happened, it seems the guy had only Spore in his Poke's. Stayed with him for quite a while and never did Assist yield anything other than spore. Although for the timer part, never really had a long battle which lasted for 30 mins. Maybe they use the same formula back then in Pokemon Emerald's dojo-ish battle facility? Just making a guess.
Well I just had the unfortunate pleasure of coming up against a team like this coincidentally. Running Meowstic, Smeargle and Ditto. I thought I was alright after killing Ditto and Smeargle with my Drapion alive but Drapion was killed off by Dark Pulse from meowstic, so he wasn't running psychic. I had Mega Lucario left alive on full health but he was helpless against meowstic as it slept him over and over and boosted... Assist can't pick Transform so Ditto was a pretty clever choice. Smeargle only had spore.

Meowstic-M
? (Bulky nature)

Substitute
Calm Mind
Assist
Psychic

It's assist Liepard but not made entirely of glass. Quite scary actually!

Shuckle @ Leftovers
Contrary
Bulky spread, obviously

Infestation
Mud Slap
Rest
Sleep Talk

This thing is pure evil if you can't 1 or 2hko it. Against set up sweepers it's probably more of a nuisance than anything, but I was running mostly bulky offensive pokemon like Arcanine so it was able to sap away half my team, slowly and painfully.

Last edited:
Well I just had the unfortunate pleasure of coming up against a team like this coincidentally. Running Meowstic, Smeargle and Ditto. I thought I was alright after killing Ditto and Smeargle with my Drapion alive but Drapion was killed off by Dark Pulse from meowstic, so he wasn't running psychic. I had Mega Lucario left alive on full health but he was helpless against meowstic as it slept him over and over and boosted... Assist can't pick Transform so Ditto was a pretty clever choice. Smeargle only had spore.
Jap players never cease to amaze me, choice specs switchero noivern would beat this, i really want a sitcheroo noivern he seems to be the awnser to so many weird sets like baton pass, this and others.

Last edited:
This does seem to happen quite often when players (myself included) end up over-thinking about the opponent's thought process with the threats presented and your reserves shown. And when a team is underestimated, it comes back to bite you as well. Quite a dilemma we've got here (:

I've seen this weird set on gen V's battlespot, but I consider it weird enough to be put here. It swept my entire team.

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Infiltrator
252atk/252 speed (presumably)

~Swords Dance
~Acrobatics
~Seed Bomb
~Sleep Powder

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've seen this weird set on gen V's battlespot, but I consider it weird enough to be put here. It swept my entire team.

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Infiltrator
252atk/252 speed (presumably)

~Swords Dance
~Acrobatics
~Seed Bomb
~Sleep Powder
Haha I actually remember this thing. The super rare offensive SD Jumpluff, I think I've even seen it used in standard play a number of times last gen. I would add this one to the OP but sadly Flying Gem isn't available, so this set lost a bit of value in the transition to Gen VI

CoolStoryBrobat

Hate double posting, but I actually ran into this weird Raikou today, and I'm not entirely sure of its purpose, but it's definitely not your standard-issue Raikou:

Raikou @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe (?)
Rash Nature (It was shiny, the event that gives out Shiny Raikou forced it to be Rash)
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Roar

Like I said, not entirely sure what the Raikou's purpose was, but it just set up screens. Probably was to help something else sweep, but the battle we had didn't quite allow that scenario to play out...I also saved the video: 7ZEW-WWWW-WWW4-48PZ

Speaking of weird sets, I'm planning to run something for 3v3 singles that runs counter to most players' expectations. It's gimmicky and suboptimal, but at least players will get a laugh or a surprise out of it. Here's a rough outline (nowhere near "RMT" quality since I haven't even thought out the moves yet):

- Modest SpA mega Garchomp (@Garchompite)
- Modest/Timid SpA Gyarados (probably @Assault Vest or Expert Belt - going all-out attacker with coverage)
- Adamant Attack Exeggutor (Life Orb? Physical coverage moves)
- Adamant/Jolly Attack Houndoom or Flareon (Choice Band? Choice Scarf? Life Orb? Planning to abuse Flash Fire and hit from the physical side preferably with Fire moves, Crunch also an option on Houndoom)
- Adamant/Jolly Zebstrika (Air Balloon? Focus Sash? Cell Battery? Could switch in on any grass move with Sap Sipper and/or electric move if I run Cell Battery gimmick to protect Gyarados)
- some kind of gimmicky suicide lead with hazard support, if only because suicide hazard leads are not common in 3v3 - maybe Galvantula so I can run Sticky Web for fun.

As I said, I know it's suboptimal, but my goal is to run something I can get quickly from Friend Safaris and the like (maybe 3-4 IVs instead of 5), just to have a little fun in Battle Spot. Is there anything easy that I'm missing? Would M-Kanga be better than M-Garchomp for SpA hax with Parental Bond Ice Beam, Flamethrower, etc.? I like M-Garchomp's base SpA though. I feel like I should also have something else that resists ice since it's a pretty strong threat to most of this team (the lynchpin of which is really M-Garchomp).

...what if I replace Zebstrika with a stalling Thick Fat Snorlax with Smack Down and Fissure, to help take ice attacks? Perhaps with RestTalk, too.

I should also mention that it's frustratingly hard to run Physical-based mons that are normally Special Attackers. The opposite way is easy because of how many Physical mons can learn things like Ice Beam and Fire Blast, but it's really difficult to find good Physical attacks that are learned by special attackers (aside from Return and maybe Earthquake).

Last edited:
I got wrecked by a South Korean in BS doubles, with him leading with Prankster Meowstic and Leipard. Both of them ran swagger, TW, and liepard ran foul play. I ran a set with Klefki, Charizard X, Garchomp, and Scizor.

CoolStoryBrobat

I got wrecked by a South Korean in BS doubles, with him leading with Prankster Meowstic and Leipard. Both of them ran swagger, TW, and liepard ran foul play. I ran a set with Klefki, Charizard X, Garchomp, and Scizor.
To be fair while those are gimmicky sets, those actually aren't TOO far out of the ballpark...Most people you see running Klefki will have either an annoying Swagger + Foul Play set or a Dual Screens set. And if you see a Liepard, it's most likely Swagger + Foul Play if not a weird Assist build

Whimsicott
Choice Specs (Was forced to swap out to change moves)
Chlorophyll / Infiltrator (Prankster seems extremely unlikely due to choice item)
Timid/Modest
252SPA 252SPE (can only assume)
- Energy Ball
- Moon Blast
- ?
- ?

Never imagined an attacking Whimsicott........

Hawlucha
Rocky Helmet
Limber
Impish
252 HP 252 Def
Acrobatics
Hi Jump Kick
Roost
Featherdance.........
I kid you not, defensive Hawlucha against some JPN kid. I had nothing but physical attacker (Scarf Haxorus, Garchomp, and something else.)
You can only imagine how fun that battle was.

Pokemon chimecho
EVs probably specially defensive
Nature calm?
- trick room
- psychic
- recover
- healing wish

When the opponent cam out with this, I laughed. but somehow, it just destroyed a good chunk of my hp, and ended up healing his vaporeon just before it fainted.

I came across this very unique Togekiss set being used by a random Japanese player the other day.

Togekiss @ Life Orb
EVs: 252HP / ?
Ability: Hustle
-Extreme Speed
-Follow Me
-Psych Up
-?

It was being used in a trick room team. The guy led with your basic Fake Out + Trick Room combo. His last two mon's are when things got weird; he had a Snorlax paired with a Togekiss and managed to pull off a Belly Drum with his Snorlax and then Psych Up to copy the + 6 attack on Togekiss. Then he tried to sweep the rest of my team with +6 Life Orb Hustle boosted Extreme Speeds. Really cool strategy in my opinion although I did end up winning in the end. Had Togekiss remained a Normal type and got STAB on Extreme Speed this guy would have definitely come out on top though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)