Gen 8 Weavile Awakened: The World's Strongest Beat Up (1900+ Peak)

Yo! It’s been a while since I posted an RMT, but I promise I’ve been hard at work since. Now to present to you the fruits of my labor: the most broken Weavile you’ll ever play against.

Team paste —-> https://pokepast.es/75aad24befc380f4

Axeleration! (Weavile) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
  • Swords Dance
  • Beat Up
  • Triple Axel
  • Ice Shard

Focus sash beat up Weavile, the star of the show. After an SD, it hammers common soft-checks such as Toxapex, does massive damage to buzzwole after its Rocky Helmet gets pickpocketed, smashes standard clefable if it’s not unaware physically defensive, and heavily chips steels such as Magnezone, Ferrothorn, Melmetal, Corviknight, and Heatran, which is crucial for the rest of the team. This Pokemon will almost always be the lead of choice, as the more Pokemon die, the weaker beat up becomes. Sometimes this Pokemon will just 6-0 on lead, especially in matchups vs opposing Hyper Offense (especially psyspam), or just more generally offensive teams.

Papercut (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
  • Leaf Blade
  • Knock Off
  • Sacred Sword
  • Smart Strike
Kartana is the main beneficiary of Weavile’s chipping of steels. Once the steel in question is weakened, it’s easy pickings for scarf Kartana to click buttons later in the game. However, it will need a bit more facilitating before it can successfully pull off a sweep. That’s where the rest of the team comes in.

THE WRLD REVOLVING (Blacephalon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
  • Shadow Ball
  • Flamethrower
  • Mind Blown
  • Trick

Specs Blacephalon is easily one of the most terrifying breakers in OU. Its shadow balls slash through every team that does have a Blissey, which has fallen out of favor as the meta has progressed. However, in those Blissey MUs (namely vs stall), it won’t be able to do much to stop Blacephalon’s outrage once it gets tricked a pair of specs. Just watch out for twave! I personally prefer timid > modest on this team, mainly because chipping garchomp is important, but also because things like specs Zapdos, specs Lele and banded Urshifu are so common nowadays that I want to be able to come in on them as much as possible without getting outsped and KO’d.

Grass Monkey! (Rillaboom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
  • Swords Dance
  • Grassy Glide
  • Superpower
  • Acrobatics

Rillaboom is Kartana’s best friend. It sets grassy terrain to boost Kartana’s leaf blade, baits and OHKOs Buzzwole, breaks through Corviknight, and demolishes the steels that Kartana often struggles with. Kartana can also support Rillaboom rather than the other way around, knocking off Zapdos, weakening GZap and Dragapult, and trading vs other Kartana to make Rillaboom’s job easier, if the matchup prefers RIllaboom as a wincon over Kartana. Not having a knock off of its own is a small price to pay to be able to effectively bait and OHKO Buzzwole, especially for a physically-oriented build such as this one.

LandOUrus-T (Landorus-Therian) @ Eject Button
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
  • Stealth Rock
  • Swords Dance
  • Earthquake
  • Explosion

Eject button may seem counterintuitive on what seems like a suicide lead, but remember, Weavile is almost always going to be the lead of choice. The reason I have eject button is because this team has a lot of choiced Pokemon that are gonna want to switch out often, especially when Kartana is forced in to revenge kill a faster threat such as Dragapult. Eject button allows me to use Landorus as fodder twice, as well as get up rocks on a slower Pokemon after bringing it in on a free switch if the matchup calls for it. And just in case Landorus is getting in the way of your team’s momentum, feel free to explode. Swords dance is used on the last slot to threaten Corviknight and Slowbro, mainly. Landorus can also be preserved in Regieleki MUs, which is important, as eleki will just bulldoze you if you don’t have an electric immunity, no matter how offensive your team may be.

Nuts of Steel (Melmetal) @ Eject Button
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
  • Double Iron Bash
  • Thunder Wave
  • Thunder Punch
  • Superpower

The last member of this team is Melmetal. With a twave set, Melmetal is able to rip through fat builds like its nothing, especially with added pressure from specs Blacephalon to worry about as well. Because of Melmetal, most stall MUs usually result in a win. In many MUs (namely vs offense), eject button will be a valuable free switch, but sometimes you need Melmetal to check a dangerous setup sweeper such as dragon dance Dragapult, double dance Latios/Latias, Dragonite, etc. In these MUs, you’ll want to get rid of your eject button ASAP. Pivot it in on a Pokemon using a weak move, or perhaps u-turning out, in order to rid yourself of your eject button. You can also pivot it in on a weak earthquake as well if you have Rillaboom’s terrain on your side. Don’t play too recklessly with Melmetal if you need it to check one of these setup sweepers! If you play too carelessly, Dragonite and Dragapult could easily dish out a loss before Kartana gets to go off.

And that’s the team! I hope you guys like it! I’ve had great success with it even up in 1900 ladder, and I’m looking forward to you guys' thoughts/opinions!

Proof of peak:

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1551693702 vs Dragapult + 2 Steels
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1553918020 vs Gengar + Mandi + AV Melm (I probably shouldn't've won this)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1554795452 vs Thundurus-Incarnate HO
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1556152907 vs Mono Shell Smash
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1555710390-ztfrzqtg42qn2r289zmb58uuxpoh8inpw vs Specs Boltund Offense
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1553913522-uevr4kx0xo7i4y1jiutjnw9s5esnyu6pw Rillaboom clutches it out vs hail

Attachments

Last edited:
Cool team! You know I had been thinking of SD + Beat Up earlier yesterday, I would have thought the idea couldn't work because of the set up but this is pretty dope. Although, Knock-less Weavile feels kinda weird. Do you figure sets like these could work with items like Black Glasses or Life Orb, and replace the Triple Axel slot for Beat Up instead? Maybe even a damage reducing berry like Roseli, so that weakened Fairies like Koko or Clefable can be finished off and you get more opportunities to sweep.

Last edited:

SetsuSetsuna

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Great job. I wasn't a believer of SD Beat Up (let alone with sash) nor of Mind Blown Blace but this team proved me wrong wrong wrong wrong. Ig the one thing I don't like is rilla being jolly, but Ig you kinda need it to outspeed all buzzwoles. Very cool team c:

Great job. I wasn't a believer of SD Beat Up (let alone with sash) nor of Mind Blown Blace but this team proved me wrong wrong wrong wrong. Ig the one thing I don't like is rilla being jolly, but Ig you kinda need it to outspeed all buzzwoles. Very cool team c:
Wait Rilla is supposed to be ada LMAO, lemme fix that rq, so so sorry to all the ppl running jolly rilla on ladder rn cuz of me

Honestly this team is one of the first I don't have any gripes with in all honesty. I might try it myself if I try to rise the OU Corporate Ladder, though I might replace one of these pokes with like Scarfchomp or something in the same vein. Big thumb of approval from me.

Hey I'm sure this thread is all but dead, but I wanted to say I modified this team a bit and reached the 1900s for the first time ever! Amazing team, one of the best in this threads imho.

The only changes I made was swapping out Blacephalon for Zeraora. Personally, I didn't find Blace to be as good this late into the meta. Additionally, this team struggles a bit with Koko, Zapdos, and Urshifu especially. The Zeraora set is pretty standard: max attack, max speed, jolly, boots with bulk up, plasma fists, knock off, and drain punch. Drain punch is surprisingly really good at snagging sweeps, especially against heavy stall which this team struggles with. In fact I usually find myself sweeping late game with Zeraora the most because players are so wary of scarf kart in this meta. It's worth noting that I don't think bulk up drain punch is the most viable set on Zeraora, but it pairs incredibly well with grassy terrain allowing you to live EQs from Lando and Chomp. While Blace can be helpful as the teams only special attacker, static Zapdos has crazy usage at this point in the meta and its nice to have Zeraora so you don't have to worry about preserving Weavile. The speed tier is also really nice for checking specs Dragapult with knock off.

The only other tweak I found helpful was changing Melmetal to protect, EQ, double iron bash, and thunder wave. I changed this Mel set because I think leftovers protect is easily the most broken set in the meta, especially on a team with grassy terrain like this one. I was losing to very standard trick room teams a lot, and this Mel set I switched to is a really useful tech that I've found counters trick room consistently. After weavile usually gets a kill or significantly weakens a typical Porygon-2 lead, I would go straight to Mel, which could stall out trick room by flinching on teleport, protecting, or haxing with t-wave. Double eject button is good in some match ups, but most of the time I find that I don't want Mel sent out at 60% before it even gets to attack, and imo it's not as viable as eject button Lando due to typing and not having intimidate. I put EQ cuz I had extra fighting coverage after adding Zeraora, and my Lando would typically die early on in games after getting rocks up or clicking boom.

Huge props for this team tho it's really viable and really fun to play. Sash pickpocket Weavile is actually a galaxy brain set and almost no one expects it. You almost always kill Ferro, Corv, or Heatran in the first 3 turns which is insanely valuable for the success of the rest of the team - not to mention the insane number of times Weavile straight up 6-0s if the opponent leads wrong or doesn't have a hard counter like Urshifu or Mel.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)