[ Warstory ] Firestorm vs EBCubs03

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just realized I forgot to mention items in my post. Raichu had Life Orb, Milotic had leftovers, and EBCubs03's team all had leftovers except Infernape.

Might I recommend Whirlwind on your Butterfree? It will mess them up if you predict they'll block Sleep Powder with Substitutes. And even if your gamble fails, you still have the Focus Sash to back it up.
I remember trying Whirlwind on NetBattle and I kinda liked it. But the two Pokemon I usually see leading that sub up are Jolteon (who I break the sub of with U-Turn) and Ninjask (who always stays in to get Encored by Raichu and sometimes even stays in not knowing how Encore works and lets Charizard set up). I'm just too afraid of sand teams to get rid of Sunny Day I guess =/

Doesn't Jibaku make the best (well, when he's fighting Lupo Aro)? :)

Anyway, I think you may need a different move other than Fly on Charizard (Earthquake or something, I guess).
Be glad Fly didn't miss. It has 95% accuracy, not something to risk Bellyzard on. anyways, amazing war story. Have you consider Stone Edge or EQ over Substitute? In this case, Blissey would have gotten you into 25~%, unless I'm doing the calcs wrong.
The Blissey he uses would have done about 66% to me with Thunderbolt. But yeah, Fly doesn't have the best accuracy and it's one of the reasons I don't use it unless I have to. Thankfully, I don't need it in most battles and those that I do usually only need it once or twice. I have had it screw me over before.

Bellyzard without Blaze and Salac Berry is like Link without a sword and shield. So I haven't really thought of getting rid of substitute. That extra boost of power puts a lot more things into OHKO range than you think!

It was mentioned already but I enjoy the fact you war storied a battle you didn't win, it is very classy and more people should do it I think.

That said I think I would have put Charizard in slops for having Fly instead of Aerial Ace if you want a flying move... BP is an issue but I'd say that battle was a pretty good example of why Fly doesn't belong on a competitive Pokemon(contrary to what is suggested in the three attack version of the analysis I guess)!

That said I really enjoy your team, seeing Umbreon in DP sort of makes me mash my face against my desk but the rest of your team is pretty awesome. I got renewed respect for Butterfree from PBR and it's always good to see more Dragonite and Raichu!

EDIT: Also as far as Intimidating Bellyzard that's a pretty good way to do it really; back when the bots had the badass-should-have-been-how-it-really-works 50% activation salac/liechi/etc. Bellyzard was really popular and it wasn't uncommon to see it's Attack get worn down that way.
I'm no bellyzard expert and Firestorm seems to, but why Fly over, well, pretty much everything else that exists?
Well, the thing with Fly is, if I didn't have it, I would have been 4-0ed. Earthquake wouldn't have even affected Gyarados.

Aerial Ace would have had a 73% chance of OHKing Gyarados after Intimidate. That's assuming the opponent is using the DDGyara build in the Analysis. It has a 0% chance of OHKOing BulkyGyara after Intimidate.

The reason I have Fly is more for Swamperts, Vaporeons, and their little friends. Even Earthquake don't kill them so I stick with it. 90 Base (135 after STAB) is enough to kill most threats in the game that doesn't completely resist it. And no one really sees it coming unless they know beforehand that I have it. Only real problem is Rhyperior and Tyranitar.

Fly isn't going to be everyone's first (or second or third or second last) choice, but I find it works out alright in my games. Becomes hard to use once used in the battle, but the first time is usually fine. It guarantees a KO unless they have Impish Rhyperior with 252 hp / 252 def, in which case their physical wall has just been crippled.

If he had aerial ace or EQ > fly, in this particular battle, since I knew most of the moves he had.. A +4 Aerial Ace would do 85-100% against my Gyarados EV spread, so he'd definitely might be in trouble unless he was packing fly. EQ would prove even worse for him. Rock Slide is an option, but then some more stuff could wall his Charizard potentially.

Although I know very little about belly drumming Charizard, so I could be wrong on a lot.

Haha, you make some of the best Warstories, enjoyable read. Intimidate completely destroyed you though... ):

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
This story is even more proof that Umbreon is useless bait; all it does is attract anything and everything to rape you. I do enjoy the Butterfree usage, though.

This story is even more proof that Umbreon is useless bait; all it does is attract anything and everything to rape you. I do enjoy the Butterfree usage, though.
I think Firestorm knows this is where he needs work most, he's looking into putting some more defense into his team. But Umbreon with taunt works well for him. He mean looked my Donphan switching in, taunted it, switched to Charizard, swept me. His umbreon provides wish support and I think is a good part of his team.

This story is even more proof that Umbreon is useless bait; all it does is attract anything and everything to rape you.
I agree with this statement. He can work sometimes, though, but is unreliable.

But, good warstory. Too bad on the loss, but Charizard is proving that he can work quite well in the warstories of yours that I have read. Intimidate is bitch, though.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bait, but not useless bait. Choice Scarf Heracross makes for a good Bellyzard set up as it's locked into Megahorn or Close Combat. Band Infernape was bad. I have a new set I'm going to try on him soon which I hope to get good results out of.

Excellent warstory. You write in a sympathic way and always manages to keep it exciting and interesting to read until the very end. And your team of non-standards only makes things even more interesting.

Your first story made me breed a BellyZard of my own and it has serves me very well so far. It's not exactly the same as yours though...

Well done. Hope you win next time ;)

Amazing warstory, really well written. I think this warstory is the thing that will seriously push me towards not using a SunnyZard and using a Bellyzard instead.

Another great warstory by firestorm. Flying charizard actually working made me "lol." It was a great battle and I found your commentary to be very funny, yet not interupting the pace of the battle. Thanks for a great read!

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Nice warstory, and nice usage of Butterfree + BellyZard. I've never heard of Fly used on BellyZard until now, and as far as I know, it wasn't a standard on advance. Is there any reason it became more useful now?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice warstory, and nice usage of Butterfree + BellyZard. I've never heard of Fly used on BellyZard until now, and as far as I know, it wasn't a standard on advance. Is there any reason it became more useful now?
Well, it did get a power boost from 70 to 90, but it's still fairly sketchy.

Firestorm

Like Deck Knight said, the base power was upped from 70 to 90. With STAB, it becomes his strongest attack (other than Giga Impact and Focus Punch). But also like Deck Knight said, it's sketchy. Once your opponent knows you have it, you're left pretty vulnerable. Wish Charizard learned Close Combat!

Although that wouldn't helped in this situation either with Gyarados resisting it and all.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There's always Rock Slide for Gyarados. However, it isn't able to take out Suicune as well as Fly can. Still not an OHKO on max HP\def Bold Suicune, but if it's weakened by, say, Stealth Rock, it's going down.

Firestorm

Yeah, EBCubs IMed me about how Stealth Rock would definitely help me. I really should get rid of Milotic for Swampert like Tangerine told me a while ago. Helps against my electric and rock weak, pretty much can do what Milotic does, and provides stealth rock to hurt focus sashers and bring other Pokemon into KO range for Charizard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)