SV Ubers Wake When the Sun Rises - Walking Wake Sun Balance (ft. Takatk)

Introduction

Hello, hello, one and all, to my first serious RMT! While I have posted some RMTs in the past, all of them were of bad teams that I didn’t put a sliver of thought into. In my grand return to the wonderful RMT forum, I set out to amend this blemish on my image, and so I have come armed with a team that I used to get reqs for the Moody suspect, as well as peaking at 1680 on the ladder with 85.2% GXE, putting me well in the top 10. also ox04 I’m gonna come for your #1 spot if it’s the last thing I do

I wasn't the only factor involved in the making of this bad boy, however. Recently, I started talking to and playing with Takatk, who has been a tremendous help for me. He offered to help me out with making this team, and I love how it ended up. I want to extend many thanks to him for not only helping me with playing the game itself, but also being a really awesome human being in general. I genuinely don't think I would be as confident in myself if not for you, man.

Table of Contents
1. Proof of Accomplishments
2. Team Itself
3. Teambuilding Process
4. Threatlist
5. Paste and Conclusion

Proof of Accomplishments

B0C29E8F-2F58-4A85-B065-877AB0C49ACA.jpeg

2BAF0DEC-2A07-4015-A71B-F87C079FB832.jpeg

The Team Itself

Now then, the team itself. It's a team built around Walking Wake. It uses some pretty interesting concepts, and we’ll be walking (haha i’m so funny) you through them. I’ve also brought the man himself, Taka, to explain some of the sets on this team!

Sky Blue = Oreo
Navy Blue = Taka

:koraidon:
Koraidon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Orichalcum Pulse
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz

Can’t have a sun team without a Koraidon, after all. Initially I liked the SD Flame Charge set, but after a couple games, I decided I liked the fast pivoting of Choice Scarf Koraidon more, as well as it destroying Iron Bundle and Chien-Pao with a fast Close Combat. Usually, Koraidon is the lead. Being able to start a game with offensive momentum helps to set the stage for hazards to go up or for one of the team’s breakers to claim KOs.

:walking wake:

Walking Wake is quite a doozy. See, this team was made a couple days after Walking Wake’s release, and so at the time, no set existed for Walking Wake in the Smogdex. At the time, I loved a speed boosting set, and still love and run it to this day. However, Taka suggested the current standard, max Special Attack and Modest. I wasn’t sure which one I thought was better, so I had the idea of leaving both sets here, and you, if you are to steal this team, can decide on what set you like.

Speed Booster

Walking Wake @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 244 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Steam
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse

In my post detailing my thoughts on the two new Paradox Pokémon, I mentioned how Walking Wake’s base 109 speed could let it down, and so I liked this set. 244 EVs in Special Attack with max speed and a Timid Nature always gives Walking Wake a speed boost from Protosynthesis. And you might be saying, “Well, what does Proto-speed Wake outspeed that it doesn't already?” My main answers are Iron Bundle and Chien-Pao. These two are massive threats to basically all of my teams, so this is a huge plus to have. In addition, it outspeeds SD Flame Charge Koraidon and Double Dance Miraidon before they set up, both of which are game-enders in their own right. Tera Water is used for maximum power with Hydro Steam.

Special Booster
Walking Wake @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature

- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Steam
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse

Another variant of this team can utilize a special attack boosting Walking Wake to act as a semi-Chi-Yu with the ability to check opposing Chi-Yu. This does mean you are a lot better into balance and semi-stall, but struggle more with offense.

:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature

- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Here's the final member of the core. Koraidon and Walking Wake both get run through by Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. Plus, the core had nothing in the way of longevity, and it hated hazards. Therefore, specifically defensive Corviknight was an automatic addition. I don't have much more to say other than Tera Ground can be used to check Miraidon in a pinch. (edit: now that I’m thinking about this, I do. Initially, Taka suggested Bulk Up to help against physical threats. However, I quickly grew to sour on it and eventually replaced it with Defog.)

:ting-lu:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature

- Earthquake
- Ruination
- Whirlwind
- Spikes

When Taka suggested Spikes on this team to make Koraidon and Walking Wake more ferocious as breakers, I loved the idea on paper, and even more so in practice. Being able to phaze Double Dance Miraidon and Espathra is a fine trait to have as well. Tera Poison is used to stop SD Flame Charge Koraidon or Double Dance Miraidon in a pinch.

:flutter mane:
Flutter Mane @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 176 HP / 240 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature

- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Assault Vest Flutter Mane really helps hold this team together against strong special attackers such as Iron Valiant, Iron Bundle, Walking Wake, non-Specs Miraidon, and opposing Flutter Mane. The given EV spread outspeeds Timid Chi-Yu, survives 2 Choice Specs Iron Bundle Ice Beams, and 2 Choice Specs Flutter Mane Moonblasts. Flutter Mane can spinblock situationally and under Sun is able to heavily pressure walls such as Clodsire and Ting-Lu.

:great tusk:

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Play Rough

Any viable Ubers team needs a way to pressure Koraidon. Great Tusk fits well by both being able to pressure Koraidon thanks to its high physical bulk, access to Play Rough and Earthquake, ability to utilize Tera Fairy to beat threats such as Chien Pao, and access to Stealth Rock to form a hazard stacking core with Ting-Lu. Leftovers is an option to increase its longevity through a game, which helps offset damage taken by Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Koraidon's U-turn, but if you want, Rocky Helmet is another viable option on Great Tusk to pressure Koraidon U-turns and guarantee being able to check it one-on-one.

Teambuilding Process

:koraidon: :walking wake: :corviknight:
Building started with me presenting a core idea I liked. Since it's a sun team, you can't not have Koraidon. Specially defensive Corviknight is present to stop the core from getting run straight through by Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane while providing hazard removal.

:koraidon: :walking wake: :corviknight: :ting-lu:
We both liked the idea of Spikes on the team, as it would help Koraidon and Walking Wake be more ferocious breakers. Plus, having a Spiker that could phaze and beat Miraidon is always a good thing for any team.

:koraidon: :walking wake: :corviknight: :ting-lu: :flutter mane:
We needed another way to somewhat check special threats besides Corv, as Corv isn't immovable for Iron Bundle. Plus, Walking Wake doesn't have recovery, so it could get overwhelmed by attacks from Chi-Yu. So, Taka suggested Assault Vest Flutter Mane for our next addition, as it could decently sponge Iron Bundle’s hits while also surviving Specs Chi-Yu’s Overheat. Fun fact: the addition of AV Mane is actually how I noticed the EVs for AV Mane were a bit off in the dex before it was fixed.

:koraidon: :walking wake: :corviknight: :ting-lu: :flutter mane: :great tusk:
Finally, we needed a Koraidon check, as well as a Rapid Spinner to remove an opponent's hazards while also keeping our spikes. Additionally, Stealth Rock was an attractive thing as well. Only one set fits all these bills: Defensive Tusk.

Threatlist

:iron bundle: :chien-pao:
These two are ferocious. Especially Chien-Pao, which can completely take over a game if you’re not careful. Against Bundle, try to get it out of the picture ASAP with Scarf Koraidon. If that doesn’t work, try to answer it with the combination of Corviknight and Flutter Mane. Against Chien-Pao, save Tera for Koraidon, get it on the field ASAP, and remove it as fast as possible with a Tera Fire and Close Combat.

:miraidon:
Probably the most broken thing in the meta right now. Double Dance is the biggest threat to this team, since Tera Fairy Dazzling Gleam 2HKOes Ting-Lu. Against Miraidon, keep Ting-Lu‘s HP up as much as possible, especially if you’re staring down Double Dance. If it is the dreaded Double Dance, bring Ting-Lu in the moment it hits the field and click Whirlwind. Does not matter if it goes Tera Fairy and uses Dazzling Gleam on the switch. CLICK WHIRLWIND. If Ting-Lu does go down, go Koraidon, Tera Fire, and click Flare Blitz.

:espathra:
GOD I hate fighting this stupid ostrich. Against this thing, keep Ting-Lu’s HP up. If it’s allowed to accumulate more than 1 speed boost without Ting-Lu around, you’re going to lose. End of story.

:kingambit:
Kingambit is cool! But it’s not that easy to battle against late-game. Against Kingambit, absolutely do NOT let it either Terastallize or get up a Swords Dance. If Kingambit is allowed to do both late-game, you’re going to lose. End of story.

Pastes and Conclusion
Speed Boost Wake: https://pokepast.es/a8b269fededcca6c
Special Boost Wake: https://pokepast.es/e1b010359fb0c5b9

Once again, I want to extend a huge thanks to Taka for helping me out with this bad boy! My goal with this team was to create a competent team featuring my new favorite toy on the shelf, and with Taka’s help, I think I accomplished what I set out to do! I had a lot of fun building it with ya, Taka, and honestly you’re an absolute goat. I’d also like to thank you, the reader, for reading this post through to the end! Please do let me know what you think of our team, and above all else, have a wonderful day!

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Fire post, just wanna add on to it a little bit:

:chien-pao:
Oftentimes I just find a way to Tera Fairy Tusk early on to take it on because it is by far the number one threat to this team.

speaking of tusk, I prefer rocky helmet on my own Tusk most of the time since it almost guarantees a one for one trade w Koraidon, but leftovers makes tusk better into things like Palafin, Ting-Lu, and Iron Treads, so it’s really a preference.

but yea shoutout Oreo, the team is solid and wake is unexpectedly solid in Ubers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)