Metagame VoltTurn Mayhem

When it comes to Volt-Turn Mayhem UU (yes, they hold these tours in the Tours Plaza room in the main Showdown server), this is the Decidueye set I prefer:

:SV/Decidueye:
Decidueye @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Long Reach
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Roost
- Frenzy Plant

In Volt-Turn Mayhem UU, Decidueye's main edge over Brambleghast is its better match-up against the annoying Regenerator Alomomola, thanks to its better ability to use special attacks.

Shadow Sneak is great to let Decidueye deal chip damage and sneak away from faster mons, thanks to its +1 priority.

Long Reach prevents Shadow Sneak from proccing nasty stuff like Rocky Helmet and Flame Body.

Speaking of Rocky Helmet, that item is great at racking up chip. Decidueye has access to reliable recovery, anyway.

Tera Fighting fixes most of Decidueye's plentiful weaknesses.

I'd probably actually still prefer this Decidueye set in Volt-Turn Mayhem OU (i.e. the regular version). Priority is too good.

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
The following Pokémon will be BANNED from VoltTurn Mayhem once Pokémon HOME is released! If a HOME Pokémon is not on this list, it will start off free.

:arceus::calyrex-shadow::calyrex-ice::dialga::dialga-origin::eternatus::giratina::giratina-origin::groudon::kyogre::mewtwo::palkia::palkia-origin::rayquaza::zacian::zacian-crowned::magearna:

In addition, Last Respects will be banned, and :basculegion::basculegion-f::houndstone: will all be free!

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Double post, because my opinions on these Pokemon may not line up with those of the Council as a whole.

:sv/landorus:
This thing looks massively scary. While it can not take proper advantage of Nasty Plot, it still has sky-high damage output, a decent speed tier, great coverage, and a valuable defensive typing that gives it many switch-in opportunities. If it stays free, it's going to be a premier offensive Pokémon. I don't particularly want it free for long.

:sv/spectrier:
Spectrier looks terrifying. It's normally subpar coverage is boosted immensely by Terastal, giving it the tools to massively chunk whatever it's facing and switch out without eating a hit in return. Spectrier also possesses a fast Taunt and a fast Will-o-Wisp, giving it significant utility. It's immune to both Hyper Beam and Giga Impact, two otherwise highly spammable moves, meaning it's not too difficult to get it onto the field. Choice Specs/Scarf will both see usage, and both be excellent.

:sv/arcanine-hisui:
252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine-Hisui Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 235-277 (58.7 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine-Hisui Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 282-333 (73.8 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Arcanine-Hisui Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Heatran: 272-322 (70.4 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It can run Adamant too, by the way.

:sv/thundurus-therian:
Massive Special Attack, great coverage including dual STAB with Tera, a decent speed tier, and a valuable immunity to both Ground and Electric. This is going to be quite good, and hard to face for anything that can't outspeed it.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Some (supposedly) returning Pokemon!

:ss/hoopa-unbound:
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band / Scarf
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Hyperspace Hole
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Protect getting you down? Feeling put out by the fact that you're not OHKOing everything in existence? Well look no further because do I have the Pokemon for you! Hoopa-Unbound has dual 160/170 base attacks and dual STABs that break through Protect and its numerous clones. It also has free amazing coverage options thrown in for the cheap cheap price of terrible physical bulk and mediocre Speed. This Pokemon is very customizable, just try not to let it get outsped and OHKO'd by some fast physical attacker or ever get hit by a First Impression (because that would be Hoopa's last Impression)

252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 153-181 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 113-133 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- 41.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 298-352 (70.9 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I don't know how to click coverage so I just clicked Hyperspace Fury and still KO stuff

:ss/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bleakwind Storm
- Focus Blast / Tailwind
- Heat Wave
- Tera Blast / Tailwind

Tornadus-Therian has Regenerator, which is incredible in this metagame. It unfortunately lost Defog this generation (RIP) but it can just spam coverage. Tera Ground is incredible for both coverage and for swapping up its defensive profile. Not nearly as overwhelming calc-wise as Hoopa but it has Regen and is fast. Dope.

Failed to realize this for a while, but this is free:

:SV/Regieleki:
Regieleki @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Transistor
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Impact

Shoots Lokix down a peg with the Fastest Extreme Speed In The Entire Meta and role compresses like crazy with Rapid Spin. Thunderbolt isn't blocked by (nearly all) Ghosts, has no recoil, and still stings thanks to (nerfed) Transistor. Giga Impact could be STAB if you Terastallize. Silk Scarf makes Extreme Speed more powerful and doesn't force you out if they switch a Ghost into Extreme Speed, unlike Choice Band. IMO, you don't need Tera Ice/Grass/Water when you could be helping Lokix clean; you just need Tera Normal.

:sv/regieleki:
ok so it's time to announce this: Regieleki has been banned from VoltTurn Mayhem.
zastrakaengimmickydrampaFINAL
RegielekiBANBANBANBANBAN (4-0)

As the fastest (unboosted) pokemon of the metagame, regieleki is packed with enough tools to break the meta. thunderbolt+giga impact is already a pretty amazing coverage, the former of which helps in breaking regen bulky waters like toxapex and the slowtwins, and even ghost types like spectrier and the latter of which helps vs any possible ground types. extreme speed is also a part of its arsenal, and we all know how broken that move is in this tier, basically invalidating all chance of ever revenge killing (outside of say, scarf ghosts). normal was its primary tera type, allowing it to deal amazing damage with giga impact and extreme speed, and invalidating any ground not named iron treads. but again, running iron treads on every team just for the sake of eleki puts a strain on the builder, especially when eleki can also tech against it by pairing itself with something like dugtrio. miscellaneous coverage like thunder wave also further limits switch-ins, and rapid spin is extremely helpful in this hazards centric metagame.
overall, regieleki is too much for the metagame to handle which resulted in its unanimous ban.

post dlc slate:

:bw/Darkrai::bw/shaymin-sky::sv/chi-yu:
zastrakaengimmickydrampaFINAL
DarkraiBANDNBBANBANBAN (3-1-0)
Shaymin-SkyBAN BANBANABSBAN (3-0-1)
Chi-YuUNBANUNBANABSDNUSTAYS BANNED (2-1-1)
DARKRAI AND SHAYMIN-SKY HAVE BEEN QUICKBANNED FROM VOLTTURN MAYHEM! CHI-YU STAYS BANNED!
:Darkrai: :shaymin-sky: These Pokemon boast an incredible spa, coverage and speed stat, and combined with the hax factor of dark pulse / air slash flinches have been deemed unhealthy for the metagame.

:Chi-yu: we also voted on Chi-Yu, as it was banned very early in the metagame and many new additions have come since. it has to rely on scarf for a good speed tier, which results in it being weak to stealth rock and similar hazards. however, BoR overheat+dark pulse is way too spammable and just powerful enough to break the meta, and thus the council deemed it best to keep chi-yu banned for now.

You banned Mr. Flinch Hax Shaymin-S, but you didn't ban this Mr. Flinch Hax:

:SV/Jirachi:
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Tera Type: Steel / Fairy
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch / Thunder Wave / Thunder Punch

Good luck getting anything done with your mon in front of Jirachi if it neither has priority nor outspeeds.

In the meantime, this seems fun for really dumb clicking buttons:

:SV/Ursaluna-Bloodmoon:
Ursaluna-Bloodmoon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mind's Eye
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Vacuum Wave
- Earth Power
- Moonblast / Roar / Taunt

In other news, Lokix now gets Knock Off.

hey everyone im here with some *shocking* news
:kings-rock: :razor-fang:

zastrakaendrampagimmickyFINAL VERDICT
:kings-rock: :razor-fang:BANBANBANBANBAN

*drampa hasn't voted yet but as his vote doesn't change the result, I posted this early. I'll edit the table once he's voted.
KING'S ROCK AND RAZOR FANG ARE NOW BANNED FROM VOLTTURN MAYHEM!
this shouldn't come off as a surprise to anyone (contrary to what i said above lol), but these hax items have finally received the banhammer. the flinch mechanic is quite uncompetitive (see: fake out) in voltturn mayhem because it has the ability to disrupt the opponent's momentum. for instance, in a 1v1 of kr / rf weavile and toxapex, normally weav fails to ko pex and pex being slower gains momentum with cwater / toxic once weav has switched out, but if weav manages to flinch pex, the momentum is all the weav player's (momentum is extremely pivotal in vtm because it's basically about switching around). overall, these items are an unhealthy part of the metagame which resulted in them being banned.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Happy DLC 2 everyone!

The council has voted on our first quickban slate of the new DLC, getting rid of what one might call the usual suspects.

drampa's grandpaGimmickyasitgetsKaenSoulzastraResult
:deoxys-attack:Deoxys-AttackBanBanBanBanBan
:deoxys:Deoxys-BaseBanBanBanBanBan
:deoxys-speed:Deoxys-SpeedBanBanBanAbstainBan
:ho-oh:Ho-ohBanBanBanBanBan
:kyurem-black:Kyurem-BlackBanBanBanBanBan
:kyurem-white:Kyurem-WhiteBanBanBanBanBan
:lugia:LugiaAbstainAbstainNo BanNo BanNo Ban
:lunala:LunalaBanBanBanBanBan
:necrozma-dawn-wings:Necrozma-Dawn-WingsBanBanBanBanBan
:necrozma-dusk-mane:Necrozma-Dusk-ManeBanBanBanBanBan
:reshiram:ReshiramBanBanBanBanBan
:solgaleo:SolgaleoBan
Ban
BanBanBan
:zekrom:ZekromBanBanBanBanBan

We will be watchlisting Terapagos until we have a better sense of how it plays in the metagame and until Drampa figures out how it actually works to at least some degree.

the tl;dr
Our new bans are: Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Base, Deoxys-Speed, Ho-oh, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Lunala, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Reshiram, Solgaleo, and Zekrom.
Tagging Kris thank you you're a superstar

Terapagos is now unanimously banned from VoltTurn Mayhem.

I don't think much explanation is needed, Terapagos (Stellar) is a 700 BST monster that is simply too much for the metagame to handle. Now that we know its mechanics, we can't allow hyper beam terapagos to stay in (and utterly dominate) the tier.

This is now one of the best Extreme Speed users in the meta - strong and fast:

:SV/Entei:
Entei @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge / Stomping Tantrum / Crunch
- Protect / Stomping Tantrum / Crunch

Really punish all those First Impression users with this guy and its Burning Bulwark:

:SV/Gouging Fire:
Gouging Fire @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Jolly Nature
- Burning Bulwark
- Raging Fury
- Outrage
- Giga Impact

Sure, it doesn't hit as hard as you want it to, but I swear this just might never die while hitting things:

:SV/Comfey:
Comfey @ Choice Specs
Ability: Triage
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Taunt / Trick

There are enough Choice Scarfs and priority around that this probably won't be busted, but Blaziken sure does like going fast:

:SV/Blaziken:
Blaziken @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Dark / Normal
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Blaze Kick / Temper Flare
- Knock Off / Quick Attack

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)