Gen 8 Volcarona BO

I've been playing this team for some time now, so I know it to at least be viable at low level play (My elo is around 1200). I'm aiming for BO, because that's my preferred playstyle, although I'm perfectly willing to switch anything to a more balanced state if this is felt to be necessary.

:ss/volcarona:
Kravatorin (Volcarona) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Volcarona's purpose is to either lead against or switch into Pokemon that don't usually run move super effective against it. This lets it get off a Quiver Dance, allowing it to sweep. Even against water types, the most obvious counter, Giga Drain with the attack boost, STAB or not, is very strong against enemy water types. Life Orb to ensure a kill against said water types, who are probably my biggest threat IMO. The team is named after them due to being my most used Pokemon.
EDIT: I forgot to mention Giga Drain was the grass type move I chose specifically for the healing capabalities, which helps against Toxic and helps the fact I'm running Life Orb.

:ss/dragapult:
Knoggolor (Dragapult) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Phantom Force
- Psychic Fangs
- Dragon Darts
- Sucker Punch

Dragapult's purpose is just to be a general speedy attacker. Assault Vest is chosen because otherwise Dragapult is somewhat frail. Phantom Force is really only there due to a lack of other physical Ghost-type STABs. It occasionally proves to be useful, but that type of multistage attack is not one I prefer using. She also has infiltrator, making her my go-to should my enemy team be a fan of substitute or setups. Psychic Fangs allow damage to even the most defensive of Pokemon.

:ss/urshifu-rapid-strike:
Grabbendare (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- U-turn

Urshifu just fulfills the same purpose as any other Urshifu you'd see. Speedy Band is just a useful thing to have, as well to having an ability similar to infiltrator, making them another good protect breaker. Surging Strikes is just a good move, with the benefit of destroying substitutes and hitting the enemy hard. I keep her around, because despite fulfilling the exact same purpose as Dragapult, she has very different type coverage, and some damn good coverage at that.

:ss/kartana:
Kreboolian (Kartana) @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Kartana is another Speedy Band, but with different type coverage, and Beast Boost. Most moves here are self explanatory, being the main way you can at all build a Kartana. The item is up for debate, but I would genuinely be surprised to see a Kartana with different moves. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike allow for STABs that also get good coverage, Sacred Sword makes them my go-to should the enemy increase their defense. Knock Off is one I almost exclusively use should my enemy be about to die, since I have to commit to using it due to the band. Killing my foe also guarantees I get a Knock Off on the next one, which with Beast Boost may actually kill.

:ss/excadrill:
The Sinner (Excadrill) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Excadrill's main purpose is to remove enemy hazards and throw down Stealth Rocks. May also use Earthquake or Iron Head should they survive their mission. This is really my only hazard control, and usually only comes out later when hazards get really bad. After all, I don't want my enemy to kill Excadrill early on and still have plenty of time to throw all the poison spikes they want throughout the rest of the battle, screwing me.

:ss/tapu koko:
toki pona (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- U-turn

Tapu Koko is a speedy Choice Specs, who can pivot with U-Turn in addition to Volt Switch, should I come across a Ground type. I mainly chose Tapu Koko over other Pokemon who can fulfill the same role because of Electric Surge, allowing me even more damage with an already hard-hitting Choice Specs. the above mention of U-Turn being for Ground Types is a worst case scenario, as I would prefer not to send them out if the enemy has Ground types at all, since U-Turn is my only real answer to them on this Pokemon.

Last edited:
Your team seems good, but Excadrill isn’t sufficient. You have a life Orb Volcarona and a Tapu Kiki, you might have a lot of trouble if you lose your Excadrill. Your team is also really slow. ScarfTana can probably just need to come, as the only Pokémon that doesn’t die from a move takes 50% on SI am not sure but are Leftos better on Excadrill? I guess it’s to prevent Spikes, but I am not fully sure.R. You also seem to have difficulties with Ferrothorn, you need to predict it with Kartana, as Volcarona dies on hazards. I would put Boots to Volcarona/put the Defog set to Tapu Koko,

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hello Ercamox,

Cool team, I'll list out on what I see the threats are and give suggestions after.

Threats: I do see SD Chomp with Fire Fang, Scale Shot, and EQ being a threat as soon as it gets off a Scale Shot speed boost, it can sweep your entire team. You don't have any priority and no Pokémon on the team can outspeed Chomp after +1 Speed Boost from Scale Shot. It would be best to prepare for it, which I will do so in my suggestions.

Suggestions:

I like Volcorona but I do feel like you're opening yourself up to Status being your downfall such as toxic, and with Swarm it might be best to go with a substitute set. This is so you can substitute down to activate it also foresee what move your opponent will use and block off Status. Leftovers could be used for passive recovery because Life Orb + Quiver Dance might be overkill especially because you'll be banking on Giga Drain which could be stretch. As someone said above, Heavy Duty boots would be ideal on a set like this but I think with utilization with a rapid spinner / defogger you can forego this.

:volcarona:
Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz

With Dragapult I don't think you need Assault vest, It still opens you up to things like Ice Shard from Weavile which Dragapult can't really take with ease. Dragapult is made as a sweeper not something used to take attacks especially from the fact that you're using 0 HP EVs which would be a given with something like Assault Vest. I think since there seems to be a speed control issue I would make Dragapult a Choice Scarfer and go with a Modest nature. This would take care of the Garchomp issue and also be able to benefit of pivoting with U-turn, here's the set I recommend:

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike looks good for the most part I would recommend going with Aqua Jet instead of Thunder Punch since it would make it adequate when it comes to revenge killing as well as stopping things like Volcarona which could be a threat to this team.

Kartana looks good, I wouldn't change anything.

I don't think Excadrill fit this team so I would recommend replacing it, on this team you're missing a ground immune Pokémon to take on Earthquakes / Earthpowers which currently no Pokémon can take with ease. Excadrill is usually used in conjunction with Tyranitar so it can use Sand Rush, so with current team build I would recommend something else. I think Landorus-Therian can perform some features of Excadrill such as setting up Stealth Rocks and clearing Hazards with Defog. Landorus-Therian provides bulk and Intimidate which can be key for certain physical sweepers setting up such as Garchomp. Below is the set I recommend:

:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Toxic

Lastly, I think Tapu Koko looks good. The only thing I would recommend changing since I feel like this team has too much Choiced users is to go with the Offensive Pivot set in conjunction with Heavy-Duty Boots. The Offensive Pivot set allows you to use Roost and not stick to a move because there will be a lot of moments where a Ground Pokemon will switch into Tapu Koko. Side note, there is an option you can go with is have Defog instead of U-turn and than give U-turn to Landorus-Therian and take off Defog, but it's all based off your preference.

:tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

I hope my suggestions are helpful.

Last edited:
Hello Ercamox,

Cool team, I'll list out on what I see the threats are and give suggestions after.

Threats: I do see SD Chomp with Fire Fang, Scale Shot, and EQ being a threat as soon as it gets off a Scale Shot speed boost, it can sweep your entire team. You don't have any priority and no Pokémon on the team can outspeed Chomp after +1 Speed Boost from Scale Shot. It would be best to prepare for it, which I will do so in my suggestions.

Suggestions:

I like Volcorona but I do feel like you're opening yourself up to Status being your downfall such as toxic, and with Swarm it might be best to go with a substitute set. This is so you can substitute down to activate it also foresee what move your opponent will use and block off Status. Leftovers could be used for passive recovery because Life Orb + Quiver Dance might be overkill especially because you'll be banking on Giga Drain which could be stretch. As someone said above, Heavy Duty boots would be ideal on a set like this but I think with utilization with a rapid spinner / defogger you can forego this.

:volcarona:
Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz

With Dragapult I don't think you need Assault vest, It still opens you up to things like Ice Shard from Weavile which Dragapult can't really take with ease. Dragapult is made as a sweeper not something used to take attacks especially from the fact that you're using 0 HP EVs which would be a given with something like Assault Vest. I think since there seems to be a speed control issue I would make Dragapult a Choice Scarfer and go with a Modest nature. This would take care of the Garchomp issue and also be able to benefit of pivoting with U-turn, here's the set I recommend:

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike looks good for the most part I would recommend going with Aqua Jet instead of Thunder Punch since it would make it adequate when it comes to revenge killing as well as stopping things like Volcarona which could be a threat to this team.

Kartana looks good, I wouldn't change anything.

I don't think Excadrill fit this team so I would recommend replacing it, on this team you're missing a ground immune Pokémon to take on Earthquakes / Earthpowers which currently no Pokémon can take with ease. Excadrill is usually used in conjunction with Tyranitar so it can use Sand Rush, so with current team build I would recommend something else. I think Landorus-Therian can perform some features of Excadrill such as setting up Stealth Rocks and clearing Hazards with Defog. Landorus-Therian provides bulk and Intimidate which can be key for certain physical sweepers setting up such as Garchomp. Below is the set I recommend:

:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Toxic

Lastly, I think Tapu Koko looks good. The only thing I would recommend changing since I feel like this team has too much Choiced users is to go with the Offensive Pivot set in conjunction with Heavy-Duty Boots. The Offensive Pivot set allows you to use Roost and not stick to a move because there will be a lot of moments where a Ground Pokemon will switch into Tapu Koko. Side note, there is an option you can go with is have Defog instead of U-turn and than give U-turn to Landorus-Therian and take off Defog, but it's all based off your preference.

:tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

I hope my suggestions are helpful.

AndViet, I apologize for the late reply, but I do thank you for the help. Since it's been some time, I should probably inform you on how your suggestions have helped.

I now run this exact Volc, and it's amazing! On nights where I'm particularly annoyed with Toxapex/Ferrothorn switching into each other, I'll run Giga Drain instead of Substitute to take both out, but I now more often run Substitute than not. Thank you!

Your suggested Dragapult worked fairly well, although I have since exchanged Fire Blast for Flamethrower. I chose Flamethrower as a second check to Ferrothorn that doesn't mind being Toxic'd by Toxapex (I run into the combo of the two switching between each other a lot...) because it'll switch out fairly quickly anyway, which resets the Toxic counter.

Your Urshifu-Rapid-Strike suggestion was good, although I have since switched out Urshifu for Shell Smash Cloyster.
:ss/cloyster:
Grabbendare (Cloyster) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile

Kartana has not been changed.

I run mostly this same Lando-T set, it's very useful! The only difference is the Defog/U-Turn switch.

Tapu Koko has done me well, especially with the Defog/U-Turn switch! It's very nice having Boots and Defog on the same Pokemon, and one who can take hits and Roost at that. This thing is the sole reason I've been able to win against hazard teams, thank you.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Hello! This team structure has potential, I hope the suggestions below can help you in future games.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/dfb1a600c9628812

I agree with awyp's suggestion to change Volcarona into a Substitute sweeper set - it takes advantage of the wallbreakers you have on the team to sweep late-game against weakened defensive cores. Substitute is also particularly useful to take advantage of the rise in Flame Body Heatran usage, as they can no longer rely on Toxic to check the matchup moth.

Assault Vest Dragapult is simply not a great set - it fails to draw the most out of Dragapult's offensive potential, and the improvement in longevity is not enough to make up for it as Dragapult is still weak to entry hazards with this set. The standard Choice Specs set works best here as it allows Dragapult to wallbreak and pivot to create openings for its teammates.

While Choice Specs Tapu Koko is an incredible threat with the right prediction, it doesn't need to play such a role on this team. A utility pivot set with Volt Switch, Toxic and Dazzling Gleam works wonders for this structure as it can put Ground-types on a timer with Toxic, pivot with Volt Switch and still punish Dragon-, Fighting- and Dark-types with Dazzling Gleam.

I find Thunder Punch Urshifu-R to be great for this team: while the team is a bit vulnerable to Volcarona mirrors, that is the nature of playing with such an offensive team. Thunder Punch allows Urshifu-R to break through bulky Water-types that can prevent this team from winning games against more balanced squads and should be prioritised over patching up one matchup that can be played around anyways.

While Kartana and Excadrill are fantastic Pokemon in their own right, a defensive backbone is needed for this team to soak up hits and stave off opposing offences. Ferrothorn and Landorus-T form a classic defensive core that is often seen on offensive teams, as they are incredibly versatile and can fill a number of roles depending on what their teams require. Landorus-T runs a Defog set here to ease matchups against hazard stacking teams while Ferrothorn runs a standard Rocky Helmet set with Knock Off to remove Heavy-Duty Boots and Leftovers from its switch-ins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)