VGC18 Trick Room Core [Need Help Building Around It]

I just got into building VGC teams and i did the mandatory team building thing and it helped me understand EV spreads more but I'm still not very good at sensing what pokemon are good together but i wanted to make a trick room team and decided to use a fantasy core consisting of:

1516430027250.png

Gardevoir-Mega (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 132 SpA / 52 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 8 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Trick Room

1516430084053.png

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 92 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Protect

1516430134942.png

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard

Is this even a good core? And for trick room? I know that this type core usually synergises but I'm really dense so I don't know why. I'm just kind of an animal so i think they all just look nice together. Are their better options for a dragon type of does Hydreigon work even with his speed stat? And if so what else would i put on there considering that Vgc isn't just about countering weaknesses? All advice is appreciated please and thanks in advanced.

P.S. I'm not married to trick room if its not a play style these mons could excel in.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert or anything, but Aegislash would much rather have 0 speed across the board to take advantage of his great bulk in shield form and take hits before switching to blade stance. Aegi doesn't appreciate trick room at all since he would be attacking first, changing him to blade stance and forcing him to take hits with bad defenses.

I'm not an expert or anything, but Aegislash would much rather have 0 speed across the board to take advantage of his great bulk in shield form and take hits before switching to blade stance. Aegi doesn't appreciate trick room at all since he would be attacking first, changing him to blade stance and forcing him to take hits with bad defenses.
This was right in VGC15, but in this metagame Aegislash Shield doesn’t take a Z-Shadow Ball from other Aegislash, so it is better to be faster than other Aegislash if you run the Ghostium set.

This was right in VGC15, but in this metagame Aegislash Shield doesn’t take a Z-Shadow Ball from other Aegislash, so it is better to be faster than other Aegislash if you run the Ghostium set.
Thanks for correcting me, I still haven't used aegi yet this season so I thought it was the same as before.

You could use Hitmontop as Intimidate and Fini as your Tapu as they both fit in the playstyle of TR. I wonder what could be better for the last slot though

So this is what I threw together after the suggestion of Hitmontop and Fini. I took Lando because i had a poison weakness and i didn't want another Pokemon that could get hit by Earthquake. Please feel free to mercilessly poke holes in this because that's the only way i learn.

1516734905369.png

Gardevoir-Mega (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 132 SpA / 52 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 8 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Trick Room

1516734914371.png

Hydreigon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 92 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Protect

1516734921785.png

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard

1516734954193.png

Hitmontop @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Helping Hand

1516734982053.png

Tapu Fini @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Calm Mind
- Protect

1516735035438.png

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

It works pretty standard but i mean its just a bunch of "good stuffs" mons so they don't really work together they just work the way they always do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)